2011-02-04: Gloucester Allnighter 2 Rooms

Interest in this one is huge and have had to print more tickets as the 80 originally allocated have all gone. Locals look to be out in force tonight and loads of travellers from all corners of the Country.So its pay on the door now anmd if you want a seat suggest you get there early.

Safe journey everyone. Off shortly to set up the rooms.

Mike

• Replies 155
  • Views 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

record box packed, looking forward to seeing all the usual gang tonight and meeting new faces

always a great atmosphere at this all niter and killer northern played right from the off with the dancers going for it right from the start

bring it on !

see you all a 9-00pm tonight

pete lyster

So my car decided to pack up, waiting for a new part to arrive, so panic stations, off i go to talk nicely to my daughter

and borrow her car,

so problem over got her car, and i know it will cost me in the long run

but hey, means we will be heading over the bridge again to this

fantastic allnighter

wazz.

well it certainly looks like its gonna be standing room only tonight...will be nice to see mr thorley out and about

looking fwd to meeting up with wazz and wazzette to

regards moldie

Fantastic turn out for the Gloucester Allnighter last night. It was great to meet up with so many old and new friends. Very impressed with the venue and will definately be back.

Sallie & Rod

Hi Sallie was great to see you both up here. Looking forward very much to yours on the 22nd February.

Mike

A fantastic night at Wotton Hall for our Allnighter. A packed house with 350 in. At one stage I did not think that we could let anyone else in. If we were not running the 2nd room then for safety reasons would have had to lock the doors.

In my opinion the DJ line up was superb and all of the DJ's played some terrific tunes. Very positive feedback re the new layout for room 2. It was much more atmospheric and better supported. I hope that we can build on this and get it well established. A big thanks to all of the team for their sterling efforts in making the night just a successful and enjoyable night. Thanks also to all of you who came to support the event. Photos will be on the website in next day or two. Thanks to Sue and Moldie for taking them.

Best Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike E
Guest Matt Male

Had a great time. I didn't spend more that a few minutes in the main room so can't comment, but mainly because the music in the second room was so superb I didn't want to miss anything. In my opinion definately the best second room I have ever experienced bar none, and a line up including some of the best current rare soul DJs in the country. Thanks to all the DJs for making this such a brilliant night and enabling to dance to sounds at a nigher that i'd previously only heard out at some of the most progressive soul nights. :yes:

and a big thanks Mike for going for a second room like this. Cheers.

Edited by Matt Male

don't as a rule post comments on the forever net .But feel it has to be said that "what an allnighter that was"Thought i might be the first to mention the spare room but as always beaten to it;I can only back them up ,forgive my hyperbole ,it was the best music played ,bar none.Me and the missus had such a great time ,Waffle?of course! Anyhow,see you in june, upstairs. progression is the only way forward.Cheesy or what ?the human condition never changes ,summed up in this quote" Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter."

John Keats

don't as a rule post comments on the forever net .But feel it has to be said that "what an allnighter that was"Thought i might be the first to mention the spare room but as always beaten to it;I can only back them up ,forgive my hyperbole ,it was the best music played ,bar none.Me and the missus had such a great time ,Waffle?of course! Anyhow,see you in june, upstairs. progression is the only way forward.Cheesy or what ?the human condition never changes ,summed up in this quote" Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter."

John Keats

now thats a quote am going to try and remember thumbsup.gif

Guest in town Mikey

now thats a quote am going to try and remember thumbsup.gif

There was a good one along those lines on the radio this morning. An American Indian proverb that

The cave you are frightened to enter, holds the treasures of all your dreams.

Sums up the sounds I heard upstairs. Although I love downstairs too.

As Matt says, this is going from strength to strength. Lots of younger faces there too.

Record of the night for me was a female version of Don Garner's - Boogaloo. Pete Lyster played it I think. :ohmy:

Brilliant night! I didn't get into the main room so can't comment on that part of the nighter except to say it was rammed and everyone seemed to be having a great time in there. Spent all my time in the 'Ton Of Dynamite' room upstairs and it was superb, new layout made for a great atmosphere. Busy dancefloor all night and quality stuff being played by Des, Mike, Johnny, Killa, Dave and Dr Pickles really had the place buzzing :yes:

Cheers to Des and Mike for putting in the time to re-open this room and hopefully it will now stay open for future nighters here. Cheers again for asking me to DJ on friday, it was a real pleasure playing some of my records out to such an appreciative and up for it crowd :lol:.

Apologies for my sudden early departure, which meant I didn't get the chance to say goodbyes to lots of people but I somehow managed to aggravate an old injury and it left me in no fit state to do anything but go home.......on the mend again now so fingers crossed it will be back to norm soon :)

Adam Topping.

John Keats

Brilliant quote :ohmy:

'mmm'.....think you're the couple I was chatting to outside for a bit and promised to send some CDs to? If you are then thanks for the kind words and will get the cds posted asap :D

Edited by Guest

Record of the night for me was a female version of Don Garner's - Boogaloo. Pete Lyster played it I think. :ohmy:

Didn't hear it played but I'd think it was The Emperors on Mala, cracking version which I've always thought is as good, if not better than DGs.

Guest in town Mikey

Didn't hear it played but I'd think it was The Emperors on Mala, cracking version which I've always thought is as good, if not better than DGs.

I dont think it was Adam. I could be wrong, and generally am, but I think it was a third version?

I dont think it was Adam. I could be wrong, and generally am, but I think it was a third version?

Hmmm, only other one I can think of with my sleep deprived brain is Corrina Greyson with Lefties Soul Connection but I don't think (and like you I'm probably wrong!) there's a vinyl release of this, could be on cd but again not sure?? Perhaps Pete will tell us as it sounds interesting :ohmy:

Well I managed to stay awake til 4am :ohmy: spent a little time in the upstairs room and caught up with Ted and Dave before going back downstairs. Had a lovely squeeze off Jerry and fab to see Stella Bev and John , sorry I didn't get a chance to chat to Cathy and Angella , well they were too busy dancing :yes:

Spent most of the time downstairs as we had to listen to what was played so that it wasn't repeated for Nige's 2.30 slot . Loved hearing the Poets ( thanks Pete) Spent most of the night chatting to Helen talking old times Dome Soul inthe city and these old shoes and finding our paths ran the same path many times. hours flew by .

Great atmosphere I will say there was a party of boozers rather than soulsters to my left who were a bit annoying dancing with drinks in their hands and having the need to NOTICED ..... In fact one of them slapped my arm because I was ignoring him :D or trying to .

Most unusual gesture was a guy stroking my hand with three sausages on a stick when entering the lower floor :lol: but he was just being friendly.

Lovely to hear Karmello Brooks , thanks Paul , hope the foot is better

I tell you what did make me chuckle , have you seen the take that album where there is an evolution thing going on.... an animal progression, well looking at Dave Abbot Johnny Begs and Dave Thorley ... it kind of felt like the raresoul version lol ...all that hair lol Now that would have made a great picture Knees crouched and standing lol

Two great rooms were to be had ,

Carms aka Davina Bailey

x

post-9590-0-27687300-1297083525_thumb.jp

Edited by Carms
Guest in town Mikey

Those guys were a group of scooterists on a birthday bender Carms. I was sat just behind you.

Quite a few of them are soulies. A couple had been on the pop all day and looked like it. I was worried that they would get out of hand, but maybe because I know most of them, I didnt think they did. I can see why it would have annoyed some tho. They'll probably be there again, but more sober.

Hopefully Helen and Paul enjoyed their weekend break in the Cotswolds. It was great to see them again even if I wasnt in talkative mood on friday for some reason. As you say, Dome, TOS, SITC. Great times.

Guest in town Mikey

Lewise Bethune Chi town boogaloo on Sack Mikey

Thanks a lot Ted. It seemed to go down well on Friday. Have to say its the first time I'd heard this version and first impressions were its great. :ohmy:

Guest Dr Pickles

Fantastic night.

New layout worked much better upstairs. With the record bar on the balcony there was room to look through the boxes and chat but still be in the room to hear what was being played and be part of the atmosphere. The lights from the dealers created a nice background glow and the rest of the room seemed a lot more appealing rather than pitch black.

Still think the canteen style tables could be changed for the low tables that were in the bar area.

It would be good to have some advertising / banner / poster at the bottom of the stairs to remind people what's going on. I'd hate to think of us as the insane cousin, locked in the attic for the night.

It would have been good to see all the seating taken out of the bar area to encourage the "not too sure" to come in and not sit outside. Chances are they'll be on the floor within a couple of records.

With more people in the room, more people were up dancing, more atmosphere and this brought more people into the room and the happy cycle carried on all night.

Music was spot on for me. 30min spots were a pain as they were over in a flash but worked really well to keep the styles changing and that "I wonder what next" feel to the room. Uptempo, different, with a smattering of known nighter tunes and classics. Great mix of R&B, 60's,latin and funky tunes that had people up on the floor ,smiling and safe in the knowledge that this was a dancer all the way, so it didn't matter they didn't know it.

All the DJs, without exception, were there before it started and stayed in the room all night. All listening,enthusiastic, chatting and thinking about what was being played and how their next set would help keep it all going. Loved it. Whoever put the entrance to toilets at the end of the dancefloor needs a medal.

Lots of appreciation from dancers and listeners, nods of approval, frantic running up to the decks and claps from the floor.

I thought the sound and equipment was great, loud on the floor but able to talk records on the balcony.

Like the idea of finishing at 4.00am to bring everyone back together for the last 2hrs.

Great night :ohmy:

See in you June.

Doc

Those guys were a group of scooterists on a birthday bender Carms. I was sat just behind you.

Quite a few of them are soulies. A couple had been on the pop all day and looked like it. I was worried that they would get out of hand, but maybe because I know most of them, I didnt think they did. I can see why it would have annoyed some tho. They'll probably be there again, but more sober.

Mikey, most grateful for clarifying that point and as you say hope next time they will be more sober but my doorstaff had close eye on them.

Regards

Mike

I thought the new layout worked really well spent most of my time up stairs with Des, heard some cracking tunes when i could distinguish one from the next why in gods name in a small room do some of the djs have to ram the volume up to distortion levels :lol: , thought Killas spot around around 1am was tremendous love the Danny Owens. gotta be one of the best nighters around Mike works his balls off to put on a good night .:ohmy:

I thought the new layout worked really well ................................................ gotta be one of the best nighters around Mike works his balls off to put on a good night .:ohmy:

couldn't agree with these comments more

well done Mike, give yourself a huge pat on the back for what you're putting into the N.S. scene

best

pete lyster

well done and a big thanx to all another great nite at wooten hall...big thanx also to matt for pickin me and nicci up so off driving duties for a change....we got there early about 845 and des was already on the decks downstairs giving up some crackin tunes had to get up and dance even if i was on my own....most of the nite spent upstairs thought it really worked well...great atmoshere downstairs aswell though ,top marks...despite lovin it we had to leave about 3 as we had go go children the next nite....

dean

I thought the new layout worked really well spent most of my time up stairs with Des, heard some cracking tunes when i could distinguish one from the next why in gods name in a small room do some of the djs have to ram the volume up to distortion levels :lol:

Didn't notice this being a problem Ted, (and have suddenly realised that could be because I was the offending DJ lol) like Dr Pickles said earlier I thought the sound was ok and certainly didn't hear anybody comment about it. If it was, in your opinion, too loud and distorting then why didn't you just mention it to the DJ or get Des to mention it......nobody would have been offended and as you know being behind the speakers is not always the best place to judge the overall volume.

You're right on one thing though.....Danny Owens is a monster of a record and has been top of my wants since I first heard it a couple of years ago :ohmy:

Many, many thanks to all who helped out, D.J.'ed, and more importantly came along to enjoy themselves on Friday :ohmy: Upstairs worked a treat, and like anything in life, it's a work in progress, so i gladly take on all the suggestions about tables, banners etc & hopefully can move forward on those valid suggestions by next time. Top marks to Mike as always for having the faith & vision to put something like this on.....and do it successfully!!!

Des Parker

Hi Mike - glad you had a such a great niter!

Let down by babysitter - missed out big style it looks like!

Currently running a hot bath, will open my veins and let my life slowly ebb away such is the crushing disappointment!

Or maybe just wait for the next one?

See you soon

Sean

id like to thank mike for allowing me to spin a few tunes and putting together an excellent nighter at a superb venue and with a fantastic dj line up in both rooms.....all your hard work has paid off and you got the numbers you deserve.....oh yes..thanks for my shepherds pie lololol

always great to see pete ,cathy and angela.wazz,wazzette,sue taylor and all the others that made this night a niter not to be missed

regards moldie

ps..nice to meet steph to and be asked to dj at torquay

First nighter of 2011 for us!! and it was great to see everyone again! :ohmy: I think Music wise upstairs & downstairs were both superb! :ohmy: All the djs did great sets! :lol: it was extra nice to hear Little Jewel - "I want to" it's the first time I've heard it played out since we moved to Devon! 24yrs ago!! I believe it was Nige Brown that played it! so thanx for that one!..:ohmy: also heard "Bernadine" not sure who played it sorry! and of course Pete Lyster played the Inticers that sounded pretty good out on the floor! :wub:

there were a few drunks out Friday night which took the shine off it a bit for me! but that's just one of those things I suppose we have to accept nowadays! :shades:

well done Mike & see you in June! x

Edited by bunty

I tell you what did make me chuckle , have you seen the take that album where there is an evolution thing going on.... an animal progression, well looking at Dave Abbot Johnny Begs and Dave Thorley ... it kind of felt like the raresoul version lol ...all that hair lol Now that would have made a great picture Knees crouched and standing lol

Carms - that is sooooo funny!! :shades:

great to catch up Carms, albeit briefly :ohmy:

Got to be the best 'Ton of Dynamite' aka 'Room 2' at Gloucester EVER!!

Moving the record dealers, and shutting the doors behind the DJ booth made a great difference - everyone in the same locale helped to build a real good atmosphere.

Man of the match for me was Johnny Beggs - some superb stuff played

packed the car after and me and Steve (mant thanks mate) went back to the main room for an hour...

Well done Mike for sticking at it and of course Des for keeping on

I love it up there :shades:

There was a good one along those lines on the radio this morning. An American Indian proverb that

The cave you are frightened to enter, holds the treasures of all your dreams.

Sums up the sounds I heard upstairs. Although I love downstairs too.

As Matt says, this is going from strength to strength. Lots of younger faces there too.

Record of the night for me was a female version of Don Garner's - Boogaloo. Pete Lyster played it I think. :hatsoff2:

As Mr Massey quite correctly points out, this is the version by Lewise Bethune.

Quite ironic (considering your quoted proverb), that Johnny Beggs, who was DJing upstairs at the same event, used to play this track 15+ years ago at The Raven (Whitchurch) and The Bear (N-U-L,Staffs).

Even more reason to support the more upfront events/Room 2's and get a taste of what could be hitting the main rooms in 15 years time :D

As a side note, Danny Owens 'You're a little too late' was first discovered (as far as I know) by Bob Morris some 6+ years ago (or thereabouts).

It's been a massive spin on the R&B / Mod scene since then, and also one I happened to 'steal' off Des Parker around that time for a mere £20 or therabouts (........you gotta love Des)biggrin.gif

Pretty sure Killa bought Ted Couldstones old copy.

What with recently chasing copies of J.T. Parker and Jimmy Phillips it seems that Mr. Massey is leaning more and more towards the R&B stuff every day.........praise the lord laugh.gif

Edited by Mace

Source Advert