Torch Reunion 2010 Update

Mods please move if its in the wrong section.

Over the past couple of days ,I have been in contact with my mate Paul Donnelly over bits and bobs regarding the Torch Reunion 2010.

Its with great reluctance that I have to announce,as requested by Paul, that he feels he needs to completely distance himself from the event.

This second and final gathering was taken on by myself, due to a demand by people who went the first and also from people who missed the first.

Paul (and indeed Malc and myself) had already decided prior to the first one--that there would be no more. Anyway there is a final one and after a few weeks ,I requested their help in organising , and they graciously agreed ,because it was for all the right reasons, non profit making and basically a day out for people to hopefully have some fun.This event is doing some great work for charity(see Paul's last posting on the Torch 2010 charity thread)--and all 3 of us (along with many others)are putting time and effort into this,not wanting fame,favour or financial recompense--but so we can all have a good time at the event

Anyway recently there have been some absurd and imo morally abhorrent suggestions/comments made about Paul that have really really upset him and left him for want of a better word 'drained' by the whole episode.

So any further enquiries about Torch 2010 reunion can be made via here to me or privately via pm. Paul will only now ,at his own request ,be dealing with issues regarding the Peterborough bus.

Right thats the official bit done and now.....................................

For a bloke who I consider to be a very good mate to have to come to me with this, is absolute shite. It is not for me to go into reasons behind this,but suffice it to say, the Torch 2010 event will be a poorer place without Paul Donnelly's input. His infectious enthusiasm and undoubted commitment to making this 'work' will be sorely missed, and i say this from a position of authority as having worked very closely with him over the last 18 months on the 'Reunion project'. Those out there who promote know that its the attention to detail that ensures an events success, and last years undoubted success was in no small part down to Paul.

Ironically the ethos and values behind this event were of camaraderie and openess and were religiuosly adhered to--after all we are all 50 somethings and meant to be adults and brought up in a age where RESPECT was earned and given.

.........sometimes on this 'scene' that we all love, it may be an idea for some people to take a step back and take on board the old adage 'Treat others how you would wish to be treated'

.....I'm fcuking gutted for Paul on this cos I know how much this whole reunion thing meant to him,its really his 'baby' and for him to feel the need to walk away from it like this must really crucify him especially after seeing all his hard work come to fruition after the first one

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Blimey whats been goin on Paul D is a top bloke and has put hell of a lot into the scene over the years, the input he had last year into the Torch Reunion was amazing he along with several others pulled off something i thought was impossible to reunite many ex Torchites and give them a day to remember also giving local charites a much needed cash boost to help others in need...........

Paul Donnelly has my Total Respect and i hope he will change his mind and continue all the good work he as put in so far..over the past two years regarding the Torch Reunion......................

Love, Peace & Happiness Always.

Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Over the past couple of days ,I have been in contact with my mate Paul Donnelly over bits and bobs regarding the Torch Reunion 2010.

Its with great reluctance that I have to announce,as requested by Paul, that he feels he needs to completely distance himself from the event.

This second and final gathering was taken on by myself, due to a demand by people who went the first and also from people who missed the first.

Paul (and indeed Malc and myself) had already decided prior to the first one--that there would be no more. Anyway there is a final one and after a few weeks ,I requested their help in organising , and they graciously agreed ,because it was for all the right reasons, non profit making and basically a day out for people to hopefully have some fun.This event is doing some great work for charity(see Paul's last posting on the Torch 2010 charity thread)--and all 3 of us (along with many others)are putting time and effort into this,not wanting fame,favor or financial recompense--but so we can all have a good time at the event

Anyway recently there have been some absurd and imo morally abhorrent suggestions/comments made about Paul that have really really upset him and left him for want of a better word 'drained' by the whole episode.

So any further inquiries about Torch 2010 reunion can be made via here to me or privately via pm. Paul will only now ,at his own request ,be dealing with issues regarding the Peterborough bus.

For a bloke who I consider to be a very good mate to have to come to me with this, is absolute shite. It is not for me to go into reasons behind this,but suffice it to say, the Torch 2010 event will be a poorer place without Paul Donnelly's input. His infectious enthusiasm and undoubted commitment to making this 'work' will be sorely missed, and i say this from a position of authority as having worked very closely with him over the last 18 months on the 'Reunion project'. Those out there who promote know that its the attention to detail that ensures an events success, and last years undoubted success was in no small part down to Paul.

Ironically the ethos and values behind this event were of camaraderie and openness and were religiously adhered to--after all we are all 50 somethings and meant to be adults and brought up in a age where RESPECT was earned and given.

.........sometimes on this 'scene' that we all love, it may be an idea for some people to take a step back and take on board the old adage 'Treat others how you would wish to be treated'

.....I'm fcuking gutted for Paul on this cos I know how much this whole reunion thing meant to him,its really his 'baby' and for him to feel the need to walk away from it like this must really crucify him especially after seeing all his hard work come to fruition after the first one

:lol: Hi All WHATS WITH THE WINGING! DO YOU HERE ME! IT'S NOT GOOD FOR THE SOUL, SHOW SOME PATHOS BY ALL MEANS, WHATS YOUR POINT AND DO YOU WANT IT DEALT WITH? A SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO. IF YOU FEEL THAT PAUL NEEDS SUPPORT I WILL SORT IT, AS FOR HARD WORK? I CAN TELL YOU AIN'T AN OLD BORSTAL BOY, JUST PM ME AS I NEED SOMEONES TO DO, SORRY THAT SHOULD READ SOMETHING TO DO! YOU CARROT CRUNCHERS MAKE ME LAUGH. :D THERES NOTHING WRONG OR IS THERE??:ph34r:DAVE the DRUG

Social source share

:lol: Hi All WHATS WITH THE WINGING! DO YOU HERE ME! IT'S NOT GOOD FOR THE SOUL, SHOW SOME PATHOS BY ALL MEANS, WHATS YOUR POINT AND DO YOU WANT IT DEALT WITH? A SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO. IF YOU FEEL THAT PAUL NEEDS SUPPORT I WILL SORT IT, AS FOR HARD WORK? I CAN TELL YOU AIN'T AN OLD BORSTAL BOY, JUST PM ME AS I NEED SOMEONES TO DO, SORRY THAT SHOULD READ SOMETHING TO DO! YOU CARROT CRUNCHERS MAKE ME LAUGH. :D THERES NOTHING WRONG OR IS THERE??:ph34r:DAVE the DRUG

You have a PM Mr Kilworth :hatsoff2:

Just needed to let people know that I am NOTHING whatsoever to do with this years Torch Reunion at The Ryan Hall. So all those people who won't or can't attend because of my alleged involvemnt make that phone call to Jez and get on board.

I'll be there with my mates enjoying what I hope will be another fitting tribute to a little venue at ST6 4AL, nothing else.

PD

Social source share

Guest proudlove

You have a PM Mr Kilworth :lol:

Just needed to let people know that I am NOTHING whatsoever to do with this years Torch Reunion at The Ryan Hall. So all those people who won't or can't attend because of my alleged involvemnt make that phone call to Jez and get on board.

I'll be there with my mates enjoying what I hope will be another fitting tribute to a little venue at ST6 4AL, nothing else.

PD

Paul.I don't know whats been said about ,whoever or whatever,I don't give a rats arse about who's nose is out of joint because of past glories,it's a Charity do for fecks sake,why can't people get over themselves?

I will put your first pint on the bar,and if someone does'nt like that .................then they can talk to me and we can reach an agreement.

I'm 100% behind you mate.

Steve.

Social source share

Paul (and indeed Malc and myself) had already decided prior to the first one--that there would be no more. Anyway there is a final one and after a few weeks ,I requested their help in organising , and they graciously agreed ,because it was for all the right reasons, non profit making and basically a day out for people to hopefully have some fun.This event is doing some great work for charity(see Paul's last posting on the Torch 2010 charity thread)--and all 3 of us (along with many others)are putting time and effort into this,not wanting fame,favour or financial recompense--but so we can all have a good time at the event

So any further enquiries about Torch 2010 reunion can be made via here to me or privately via pm. Paul will only now ,at his own request ,be dealing with issues regarding the Peterborough bus.

Ironically the ethos and values behind this event were of camaraderie and openess and were religiuosly adhered to--after all we are all 50 somethings and meant to be adults and brought up in a age where RESPECT was earned and given.

Well said Jez .

If it had not been for the input , commitment , enthusiasm and belief of Paul Donnelly , the 2009 Torch Reunion would have not been the success it was .

I have had several conversations in the last week with Paul regarding the issues which have contributed to his decision , and like Jez , I am deeply saddened that these have resulted in that decision , but totally respect his reasons for severing his ties with the 2010 Torch Reunion .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Paul.I don't know whats been said about ,whoever or whatever,I don't give a rats arse about who's nose is out of joint because of past glories,it's a Charity do for fecks sake,why can't people get over themselves?

I will put your first pint on the bar,and if someone does'nt like that .................then they can talk to me and we can reach an agreement.

I'm 100% behind you mate.

Steve.

And i`d like to be the second to put a pint on the bar, what a fantastic job paul did last year, the event from fruition to the end of the night was organised brilliantly, certainly one of the finest events ive been to in many a year. Don`t let em grind you down paul. And many, many thanks for last year it was something very specialthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

If it had not been for the input , commitment , enthusiasm and belief of Paul Donnelly , the 2009 Torch Reunion would have not been the success it was .

I have had several conversations in the last week with Paul regarding the issues which have contributed to his decision , and like Jez , I am deeply saddened that these have resulted in that decision , but totally respect his reasons for severing his ties with the 2010 Torch Reunion .

Malc

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi ALL....pAUL HAS PM ME AND IT SEEMS THAT HE IS CONTROL OF THE SITUATION! HOWEVER LAST YEARS EVENT TORCH 9, HAD ALL THE RIGHT INGREDIENTS TO MAKE IT A SPECIAL EVENT AND RAISED MONEY! BECAUSE OF A PERSONAL SITUATION I HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO ATTEND I NIGHT OUT SINCE THEN, WHICH I SPENT MOST OF THE NIGHT WITH MAX (GOD BLESS) THE TORCH 10 EVENT, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOREWORD SINCE 10 MINUTES AFTER THE TORCH 9 FINISHED, AND PAUL AGAIN HAS MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET OUT TO ATTEND, AS SUCH IT GREATLY SADDENS ME WHEN ISSUES APPEAR A CRACKS IN THE EVENT HAPPEN, PAUL IS A TRUE SOUL BROTHER, AND I FOR ONE HOPE THAT WHEN I GET THERE HE IS ALSO THERE, AT THIS STAGE PAUL TELLS ME THINGS ARE OK! I AM REASSURED BY THIS, AS FOR WHOEVER WAS BEHIND ALL THIS UNPLEASANTNESS HE WOULD NOT SAY! HOWEVER THEY HAD BETTER THINK CLOSELY AT WHAT THEY SAY AND ABOUT WHO THEY SAY IT ABOUT! AS PEOPLE LIKE PAUL, AND JOHNNY BOY MANSHIP DON'T DESERVE SOME OF THE NEGATIVE REMARKS THAT I READ ON SOUL SOURCE AND EVEN IAN LAVINIE IN MY OPINION GETS TO MUCH CRAP AND I NOT A GREAT FAN, BUT HE IS OK!:lol: DAVE KIL
Social source share

Malc

How very Sad Paul

The nastyness and the bitching is a foul cancer that has spread across this scene in the last few years!

HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH PAUL,,, along with Jez and Malc you gave us Old Torchies one of the greatest days Soul Wise since 1972-73 last year!!

Here here, couldnt agree more with these sentiments!!!!!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi ALL....pAUL HAS PM ME AND IT SEEMS THAT HE IS CONTROL OF THE SITUATION! HOWEVER LAST YEARS EVENT TORCH 9, HAD ALL THE RIGHT INGREDIENTS TO MAKE IT A SPECIAL EVENT AND RAISED MONEY! BECAUSE OF A PERSONAL SITUATION I HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO ATTEND I NIGHT OUT SINCE THEN, WHICH I SPENT MOST OF THE NIGHT WITH MAX (GOD BLESS) THE TORCH 10 EVENT, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOREWORD SINCE 10 MINUTES AFTER THE TORCH 9 FINISHED, AND PAUL AGAIN HAS MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET OUT TO ATTEND, AS SUCH IT GREATLY SADDENS ME WHEN ISSUES APPEAR A CRACKS IN THE EVENT HAPPEN, PAUL IS A TRUE SOUL BROTHER, AND I FOR ONE HOPE THAT WHEN I GET THERE HE IS ALSO THERE, AT THIS STAGE PAUL TELLS ME THINGS ARE OK! I AM REASSURED BY THIS, AS FOR WHOEVER WAS BEHIND ALL THIS UNPLEASANTNESS HE WOULD NOT SAY! HOWEVER THEY HAD BETTER THINK CLOSELY AT WHAT THEY SAY AND ABOUT WHO THEY SAY IT ABOUT! AS PEOPLE LIKE PAUL, AND JOHNNY BOY MANSHIP DON'T DESERVE SOME OF THE NEGATIVE REMARKS THAT I READ ON SOUL SOURCE AND EVEN IAN LAVINIE IN MY OPINION GETS TO MUCH CRAP AND I NOT A GREAT FAN, BUT HE IS OK!:unsure: DAVE KIL

:lol: Can I just add that I had forgotton about the TORCH 9 incidents with (I L) and have apolagiesed to paul for mentioning his name to make my point, it was a poor example, however it does not detract from the issue that PAUL MUST Attend this event TORCH 10 and I would expect everyone to make sure he does and is very much valued to all of us as a SOUL BROTHER from the TORCH:ph34r: KEEP THE FAITH PAUL :ohmy: DAVE

Social source share

,,, On a lighter note ,,,, it isnt cuz Jezz said he might wear his Tennis Shorts next time,, you resigned is t????:hatsoff2:

....Well they were 'period dress' for 1972----if ya name is Stan Smith or Ilie Nastase lol

Great to see the messages of support lads

Social source share

Guest proudlove

,,, On a lighter note ,,,, it isnt cuz Jezz said he might wear his Tennis Shorts next time,, you resigned is t????:hatsoff2:

....Well they were 'period dress' for 1972----if ya name is Stan Smith or Ilie Nastase lol

Great to see the messages of support lads

The support is definately NOT for you in shorts mate..................................................

Social source share

Guest julie s

how very sad paul you are a top guy, and great organiser, but if your not involved more time to dance:thumbsup: and video malc,s 17 dances xx julie

Social source share

thanks for the e-mail’s, pm's, phone calls and postings of support.

Not going into ALL the detail about the why’s etc however I feel compelled to let folk know why I decided to step back from this years Torch Reunion and the scene in general.

1- Several weeks ago a close mate of mine rang me to advise that rumours were rife locally that I had stolen money from last year’s charity fund. It seemed to upset him more than it did me at the time as my conscience was clear.

I asked around and to my utter amazement a number of people were aware of this rumour and either dismissed it or were uncomfortable with bringing it to my attention. The thought that folk actually thought I'd stolen money made me feel sick. I did not steal any moneyy in fact last years event actually cost me a few hundred out of my own pocket to allow the Reunions Charity Fund to stay intact as follows….

2- Ian Levine, I've actually received quite a lot of flack as to why Ian Levine was asked not to attend the 2009 Torch Reunion after advertising he would appear, so again to clear my name here goes.

Ian made several demands during Sept 2009 that we felt were unreasonable and uncalled for, one in particular that made me ‘blow a gasket’ so much so we advised Ian Levine that his services would not be required and requested he didn’t attaned.

He responded with a "why you hurt me this way, I insist on an explanation, and while I'm at it I have an email here from Malc Burton which constitutes a legal contract and will demand payment"

I took legal and was advised he was correct, asked him on this occasion to consider the charity’s, which he ignored.

I paid him out of my own pocket to ensure the Charity Fund stayed intact, he cashed the chq 10 days later...

3- Colin Curtis not appearing at the 2010 Torch Reunion is because of me.

He spoke to someone at Whitby and made it clear he wouldn't work for me I guess because I organised my charity annual birthday bash the day he was appearing in Peterborough for Jamie Trundle. If you’re reading this Colin, apologies if I have offended you in anyway, however my birthday nights have been going for years and all profits from the fund raising have and will continue to be donated to local Peterborough Charity’s. It was certainly not organised as some type of middle finger to you.

Please reconsider and contact Jez ASAP; I for one would be delighted to see you on the stage at Ryan Hall.

4- To the local Stokies who I understand are considering putting on a 'proper Torch Reunion by Stoke people for Stoke people" do what you gotta do boys.

I'll be there on 23rd, (I even purchased a ticket) with my close friends to enjoy the spirit of the Torch and contribute to the wonderful Torch Reunion Charity work. Nothing more nothing less.

PD.

Edit...Jez could you lock the thread please.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Paul, sorry to hear of all that shit you've gone through.

I understand now why you stepped back from Torch 10 and felt compelled to give your reasons.

I'd feel the same if it were me.

As for the nicking money bit, never heard it myself but would have dismissed it as absolute bollox had I heard it.

FOOK 'EM MATE

TOP CHAP! :lol:

Social source share

Let me tell you a little something about character of Pauil Donnelly, a few years ago when I was presenting my 'Soul Shack' radio show on Solar it was always a battle with funding the show as all specialist shows had to self fund to help towards basically running the station, when the chps were down I posted on here the situation that the show may be forced to end due to the funding issues, several people came to my rescue with offers to help including Paul who was one of the first to donate £300.00 out of his own pocket, Paul is old school and to suggest he has skimmed charity money is well nothing more than a very sick joke, there are some very bitter and twisted people out there on this scene add this to the bullshit, back stabbing, politics and all the other crap that seems to go hand in hand with this scene has basically forced me to pack it all in in recent times, far too much opinion and self elected people who think they own and run this scene has I'm sure not only put me off but many others.

Paul is a gentle, decent first class bloke with no agenda apart from trying to make people have a good time, he's a man that I would be happy to stand toe to toe with againts these fuckers who stand in the shadows and stir the shit, whoever they are should be ashamed of themselves and should perhaps think before they start such rumours, still I've said it before and I'll say it again often the people who shout loudest have fuck all to say and contribute nothing to the scene apart from pulling it apart and messing with decent peoples minds.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share