Advertising On Labels Any Other Examples ?

Hi I wonder how many labels pushed advertising on them from different companies . I would have thought in America between 50's and 60's there where loads as companies wouldnt miss a trick and surely records would have provided a great in route into the youth market .

Has anybody got any nice examples .

I came across this a little while ago never seen it before .

Top side is a normal King Demo

post-17644-016329100 1278453926_thumb.jp

however the flip which is the same title as the normal release as far as I know and has a wonderful label showing both a restaurant and a radio station advert on it

post-17644-069843300 1278453936_thumb.jp

can anybody shine any light on why the collaboration and more to the point what other examples does anybody else have in thier collections I would like to see them if possible .

Thanks anyway hope this is of interest to somebody

Steve h

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi I wonder how many labels pushed advertising on them from different companies . I would have thought in America between 50's and 60's there where loads as companies wouldnt miss a trick and surely records would have provided a great in route into the youth market .

Has anybody got any nice examples .

I came across this a little while ago never seen it before .

Top side is a normal King Demo

post-17644-016329100 1278453926_thumb.jp

however the flip which is the same title as the normal release as far as I know and has a wonderful label showing both a restaurant and a radio station advert on it

post-17644-069843300 1278453936_thumb.jp

can anybody shine any light on why the collaboration and more to the point what other examples does anybody else have in thier collections I would like to see them if possible .

Thanks anyway hope this is of interest to somebody

Steve h

it's an 80s example but there is the budweiser showdown series which was a band contest that was run by budweiser and the flip of every record had an advertisement for the radio station. also, different business put out records so the record was advertising, for example, didn't the freddie houston soft walking single come with a pic sleeve from a shoe store? another shoe store record was the circulations on hess, hess was a shoe store chain in baltimore.

Social source share

Maybe not exactly what you were driving at Steve, but similar to the Budweiser example brought up by Bob in previous post:

In my latest podcast (see radio/media section of the forum) third track is a brilliant modern soul dancer from Marvin Swimpson played off a `black music´ album released by hamburger chain McDonalds entitled McRhythm, consisting of demos sent to the company from various aspiring artists.

Best,

Melismo

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

it's an 80s example but there is the budweiser showdown series which was a band contest that was run by budweiser and the flip of every record had an advertisement for the radio station. also, different business put out records so the record was advertising, for example, didn't the freddie houston soft walking single come with a pic sleeve from a shoe store? another shoe store record was the circulations on hess, hess was a shoe store chain in baltimore.

Hi Bob

thanks for the info . I was wondering as the yellow section appears to placed over the King label . A neat retro looking advert , does the Big Boy restaurant exist ( will try a ggogle search ) God knows what sites will pop up though !!

I knew about the Budweiser labels seen a few of them on evilbay .

Great the connection between soft walking and a shoe firm perfect .

Thanks alot all the best

Steve h

Social source share

Maybe not exactly what you were driving at Steve, but similar to the Budweiser example brought up by Bob in previous post:

In my latest podcast (see radio/media section of the forum) third track is a brilliant modern soul dancer from Marvin Swimpson played off a `black music´ album released by hamburger chain McDonalds entitled McRhythm, consisting of demos sent to the company from various aspiring artists.

Best,

Melismo

Hi Melismo

I nevver know what I am saying or doing bud ask anybody who knows me Lol .

Thats great example will pop in and look it up and take a listen to the podcast ( I thought Macdonalds wouldnt miss a trick. )

That reminds me of a tune I have by Sonny Brooks titled " Champ Ale " which is an about a drink from Metropolis Brewery Co. from New Jersey that sold in 40's through to the 80's

Social source share

Guest Dante

Marvin Gaye & the Detroit Free Press

Never seen that before!! Do you mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

On the subject, there was a early /skin-ish reggae band in Mexico called Ely Combo and I've seen singles by them with a sticker from a certain Rosita's Stationary Store. I suppose is more common, but I have Stateside sleeve with an ad for a hair dryer or something like that.

Social source share

Never seen that before!! Do you mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

On the subject, there was a early /skin-ish reggae band in Mexico called Ely Combo and I've seen singles by them with a sticker from a certain Rosita's Stationary Store. I suppose is more common, but I have Stateside sleeve with an ad for a hair dryer or something like that.

Hi Bud

not seen those singles either with the stickers and of course sleeves are another kettle of fish . You pressume they would only show the record companies logo's but obviously not that could be another thread of its own . Thanks

Steve h

Social source share

I have a record by Sidney Barnes on a furniture store label

people request the ember furniture song on my radio show, richard pegue produced it and it got played on the radio as an ad a lot, he used to play it on his radio show. lots of people in chicago remember that song.

Social source share

Top names in soul music, such as The Supremes, Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles, recorded jingle songs for Coca Cola back in the day. Well, later on their main rivals Pepsi hooked up with Michael Jackson...lol...

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!