Brothers Of Soul - Hurry Don't Linger [Bootleg]

How would read, for the bootleg description in Manship's Bootleg Guide: "Red label moulded over onto vinyl. Easiest way to stop the bootleg is the B-side is credited to to "The Manhattans".

I'd think the bootleg is credited to the Manhattans right?

So based on that I get the following record (eBayer claiming it is original), and it is an awfully fishy looking thing. I'm a little new to the game but I think this label is moulded over onto the vinyl. But B side credited to "Bridges-Knight-Eaton" though. Hmmm, oh wait...could it mean Manship meant "B-side is credited to "The Manhattans" [ON THE ORIGINAL!]". Grrr.

loser.jpg

So yeah...I just bought myself a boot ya? Luckily I didn't pay a lot, not too valuable a record.

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How would read, for the bootleg description in Manship's Bootleg Guide: "Red label moulded over onto vinyl. Easiest way to stop the bootleg is the B-side is credited to to "The Manhattans".

So based on that I get the following record (eBayer claiming it is original), and it is an awfully fishy looking thing. I'm a little new to the game but I think this label is moulded over onto the vinyl. But B side credited to "Bridges-Knight-Eaton" though. Hmmm, oh wait...could it mean Manship meant "B-side is credited to "The Manhattans" [ON THE ORIGINAL!]". Grrr.

loser.jpg

So yeah...I just bought myself a boot ya? Luckily I didn't pay a lot, not too valuable a record.

your record looks very real. i'm sure manship meant that the boot b-side has the manhattans on it.

Social source share

I agree- I think it's an original too.

I've got an original on the dark orange/ light orange label with the flip side credited to the Brothers of Soul.

I don't know where the Manhattans/ Bridges- Knight - Eaton part comes in.

the orange label is the styrene press, red is the vinyl (I think I also have a red styrene but have never seen an orange vinyl).

Social source share

the orange label is the styrene press, red is the vinyl (I think I also have a red styrene but have never seen an orange vinyl).

My orange label is on vinyl - the only styrene copies I've seen are the red label ones that say "Distributed by Scepter Records".

Social source share

My orange label is on vinyl - the only styrene copies I've seen are the red label ones that say "Distributed by Scepter Records".

I just checked my shelf. I have red vinyl (exactly as pictured above), red styrene (no scepter mention), and orange two-tone label vinyl. I have never personally seen the scepter one.

Social source share

Cool guys. Here's the A-side. Sorry for the lousy image quality...taking pic on laptop.

linger.jpg

I was comparing it with this: https://www.popsike.c...0366741031.html

which looks fully legit. My copy, on right (blurry) "WilRic Production Time 2:53" whereas the time listed in link is 2:45. That's an orange[?] styrene in the link? (I'm a little color blind between red and orange, heh).

Edited by ak45
Social source share

I was comparing it with this: https://www.popsike.c...0366741031.html

which looks fully legit. My copy, on right (blurry) "WilRic Production Time 2:53" whereas the time listed in link is 2:45. That's an orange[?] styrene in the link? (I'm a little color blind between red and orange, heh).

the link is red actually. i never noticed the time differences, I wonder if they actually are different or the labels are just different. I will check mine and try to play them to compare tomorrow.

Edited by boba
Social source share

loser.jpg

You can clearly see the original numbering stamped in the run out groove on your 45.

Social source share

loser.jpg

That's a definite original copy in your picture

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I just checked my shelf. I have red vinyl (exactly as pictured above), red styrene (no scepter mention), and orange two-tone label vinyl. I have never personally seen the scepter one.

Me neither Bob - I have several of the different label variants of various Brothers of Soul releases, plus a collection of label scans on my laptop with plenty of Boo 45s in there.

None of these has any mention of Scepter - although some of the other releases were distributed by Fantasy/Galaxy.

Would like to see a scan of a Scepter distributed copy please:yes:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest son of stan

I've never seen those fonts on a 60s record before. The label looks like its been done on computer to me...looks suspicious. But I can't see why anyone would bother to bootleg this one. It's an okay record to have in your collection but I don't think it ever has been, or has the potential to be, a big enough record, has it? Unless standards have really slipped since I stopped going out!

Social source share

Guest Dante

I've never seen those fonts on a 60s record before. The label looks like its been done on computer to me...looks suspicious. But I can't see why anyone would bother to bootleg this one. It's an okay record to have in your collection but I don't think it ever has been, or has the potential to be, a big enough record, has it? Unless standards have really slipped since I stopped going out!

It's a great, great record, probably too slow to be played out. Actually I was listening to it a couple of days ago pitched it up a bit and sounded great.

Anyway, I was thinking the same. Why would anyone bootleg it? Payed five quid for a M- copy last year.

Is the pressing recent? I've Manship's 4th ed. and there's no mention of a bootleg...

Social source share

it's definitely a 60s chicago press, same fonts as the creations on blue label globe or light blue zodiac for example

Social source share

standards... yours are different to mine and many others i guess...

A soul record of epic proportions indeed... IMO of course...

Social source share

The label looks like its been done on computer to me...looks suspicious.

That's the feeling I got on it as well. The photo is a little too blurry to tell, but the "guess" on "I guess that don't make me.." is smudged -- like it was printed on a laser printer or something. That, combined with the unplayed condition, got me worried (come on...scratch up your bootlegs a bit!). But it does have consistent matrix numbers, ZTSC126557 1C on side A, and is identical font to the two toned one. Anyway, not that I'm doubting your guys' expertise, I'm just letting you know why I was suspicious.

As far as WHY someone would boot this, well I rather like it (I did BUY it after all), but it does seem there's no shortage of originals out there.

Social source share

Guest BIG H

i had a copy of this on a light blue label, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was, think it might've been a local release before the Boo, great record imo

Social source share

Mine Looks Like The So Called Boot Posted On Here

Hmm. Yours has different writing up on the sides, different font, and different time for "hurry don't linger". And, yours looks to be styrene with a pasted on label. Can't tell that last one for sure though.

But anyway, we've established that there's many, many different versions out there.

Social source share

On 11/07/2010 at 17:02, BIG H said:

i had a copy of this on a light blue label, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was, think it might've been a local release before the Boo, great record imo

It was on Criss-Cross (see pic below).

This was actually a different release of Boo 1001 rather than 1004.

The Criss-Cross release, which I believe came before the Boo release, has Hurry Don't Linger on but the flip is Can't Get You Off My Mind as per Boo 1001.

Cheers

Richard

Criss-Cross1001BrothersOfSoul(4).jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert