Radio City Records From San Diego

Thx man, never heard of that one before!

The ones on the label I know are:

Mr. Clean and The Soul Inc. - Hey Love / Bet He Don't Love You - Radio City 500

Janis & Prince - Patricia (here I come) / Love and devotion - Radio City 1005

Mr. Clean and The Soul Inc. - Go Away Little Girl / What's Going On - Radio City 1007

Which means that there's a few gaps left to be filled...

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A couple more -----

Willie Bovain Trio - Carnival of Soul / Soul In The Morning - Radio City 1000

Seen below listed which is the reissue of The New Yorkers on Tac-Ful, not sure which is correct though.

Royal Knights - You Should Have Told Me / There's Going To Be A Wedding - Radio City 1001

Royal Knights - You Should Have Told Me / Don't Want To Be Your Fool - Radio City 1001

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

weren'tt t The NewYorkers 45 on Tac-Ful released on this label too? (sure it was purple in colour??)

should have read the above properly as well lol

I've see New Yorkers on Radio City listed on Moerer's with the same number as Royal Knights. I assumed it was a cock-up in the listing.

Royal Knights is black, one on Popsike

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I've see New Yorkers on Radio City listed on Moerer's with the same number as Royal Knights. I assumed it was a cock-up in the listing.

Not a cock-up. RC 1001 was issued as both Royal Knights and The New Yorkers. Both on black labels with gold writing.

Can dig out my copy of New Yorkers and post up some scans.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

post-1392-034758200 1279261307_thumb.jpg post-1392-046259300 1279261309_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that, wasn't quite sure if it came out as both or not. Same number though so I wonder what the reasoning for the name change was.

Social source share

Same number though so I wonder what the reasoning for the name change was.

Perhaps to avoid confusion with the other west coast group called The New Yorkers that released several 45s on Scepter, Jerden and Santana in 1966/1967?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• 2 years later...

thanks all for posting these, I was born and raised in san diego and its a trip to even consider that there was a "soul scene" there. because of geographic concerns only, these are topping my list at the moment. aside from a scant few that are up on youtube I've never heard any of them, though I've heard from other collectors from back home that on the "city of soul" 45 theres some shout-outs to san diego...so wild!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thanks all for posting these, I was born and raised in san diego and its a trip to even consider that there was a "soul scene" there. because of geographic concerns only, these are topping my list at the moment. aside from a scant few that are up on youtube I've never heard any of them, though I've heard from other collectors from back home that on the "city of soul" 45 theres some shout-outs to san diego...so wild!

There are so many obscure soul records from every city in California, it's crazy. There are other san diego soul 45s too, not just the ones on this label (lots of one-record-only labels, like the Pinkertones on Queen-G). Other San Diego labels with multiple soul releases that I can think of are Aidqueen, GME, and Musette.

Social source share

There are so many obscure soul records from every city in California, it's crazy. There are other san diego soul 45s too, not just the ones on this label (lots of one-record-only labels, like the Pinkertones on Queen-G). Other San Diego labels with multiple soul releases that I can think of are Aidqueen, GME, and Musette.

T have The New Yorkers on Radio City (Black print on white BG DJ copy).

There was lots of interchange of the L.A. and San Diego scene. I think that several of those San Diego addresses were just the home addresses of entrepeneurs that did most of their recording in L.A.

I didn't know that The New Yorkers on SCEPTER were from The West Coast! I thought they were from somewhere in The East. Of course, the New Yorkers on Tac-Ful and Radio City (although recorded in L.A.-because they were members of The L.A. Rams Football Team) had previously lived in New York, as members of The New York Giants (Thus the name, New Yorkers).

Social source share

could any of you help me out with the approximate value of the "city of soul" 45? I have a friend with one in their stock, but I've never seen it on any sales list in my memory. trying to figure what I should offer...

as I collect the label I came acorss this 45 ... as you say you dont see it too often. I started playing it out two years ago to some good reaction and it was included on our recent free give-away cd for our 22nd anniversary last month. no idea on a realistic sales value though..maybe 150 - 200 USD ?

Social source share

as I collect the label I came acorss this 45 ... as you say you dont see it too often. I started playing it out two years ago to some good reaction and it was included on our recent free give-away cd for our 22nd anniversary last month. no idea on a realistic sales value though..maybe 150 - 200 USD ?

There is one in popsike for $50 (and I've seen it sell for less once) but it's not known and is very rare so it does depend on whether it becomes in demand or not.

Social source share

I think you are right bob, its just not (yet) known, lack of demand will have hold it down price. will bovain should be the most cheapest on the radio city out of the ones I came across so far, would you agree ?.

I don't even know that title. It's crazy how many titles were released vs. how rare everything is. Thanks.

Social source share

it's probably a $25 record, not common at all but the cheapest thing on the label due to lack of demand. I didn't make the connection before but Ron Rush on that 45 is one of the people who ran the Aidqueen label

You are correct Bob. Most of the people mentioned on the Ron Rush Aidco 45 were also involved on the Brothers Aquarious on Aidqueen outing. I assumed there was a connection but didnt realise Ron Rush was the main man running the show.

Just a little observation. The vocals on the Ron Rush 45 I have sound a little "west indian" in accent if you get what I mean ? Don't know the background of Ron Rush but often wondered if he had gone to the US from the islands. Maybe though its just the sound recording, which is a little basic.

Edited by Andy Mac
Social source share

I remember of it being a 'Tac Full' label (not even the flat design one without the footbal players) with the half top of label covered with an 'add on sticked' kind of thing with a print-stamp 'Radio City records' sticker with a pen date written on it and/or a 'library' classification number. Something like that. That is the one I saw (I think a JM's auction) a while back with some intrigue. But then happy enough with my full bodied designed Tac-Full label in the end. Tim

Previous topic here

Didn't New Yorkers "Don't Want To Be Your Fool" also come out on Radio City, think there is only one known, part of the label missing if I remember rightly.

Social source share

OK Rob, I have never seen a 'proper' Radio City of 'don't wanna be your fool'. But I did saw that one as I described before (Radio City glued on covering up upper half of the label) and the 'part of the label missing' as quoted by Chalky made me think of that Radio City glued on label. Would love to see that Radio City one day. Tim

Of course, "Don't Want To Be Your Fool" came out on Radio City. I bought a copy in the mid '60s. Mine is a white DJ with black printing. Ben Gresham re-released it on that label, after moving from L.A. to San Diego.

Social source share

Two releases that definitely exist:

Radio City 1001 - The New Yorkers - You should have told me / There's going to be a wedding

Radio City 1001 - The Royal Knights - You should have told me / There's going to be a wedding

https://www.popsike.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-ROYAL-KNIGHTS-YOU-SHOULD-HAVE-TOLD-ME/200398500150.html

https://www.popsike.com/Rare-Northern-Soul-45-THE-NEW-YORKERS-Radio-City-Rare-White-Promo/200734534631.html

Social source share

99.9% certain the other New Yorkers exists and I've seen it, long time ago. I was sure I'd seen a copy with all the label intact but it was JM who I'm sure who last had the one with the label missing who said it was a one known copy.

I'll see if I can find the topic where we discussed it.

PS Just read Robb's post.

Social source share

I'll try to find it and scan and upload it. I just can't remember where I shelved it. I moved it and Tac-Ful from my L.A. small independent labels shelf, to a new location with the distributed labels of a certain national major, after finding out that Tac-Ful Records was, at one time, distributed by that Major national record company. Does anyone remember who distributed Tac-Ful?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

On 'You sould have told me' Radio City 1001 it states distributed by Primemasters. Does that help ? Tac-Ful, don't say nuthin 'bout dist.

I'll try to find it and scan and upload it. I just can't remember where I shelved it. I moved it and Tac-Ful from my L.A. small independent labels shelf, to a new location with the distributed labels of a certain national major, after finding out that Tac-Ful Records was, at one time, distributed by that Major national record company. Does anyone remember who distributed Tac-Ful?

Social source share

Guest molly7989

I remember of it being a 'Tac Full' label (not even the flat design one without the footbal players) with the half top of label covered with an 'add on sticked' kind of thing with a print-stamp 'Radio City records' sticker with a pen date written on it and/or a 'library' classification number. Something like that. That is the one I saw (I think a JM's auction) a while back with some intrigue. But then happy enough with my full bodied designed Tac-Full label in the end. Tim

That's in Simon Hunts collection ( sharmo 1) on here.Thank's molly.

Social source share

On 'You sould have told me' Radio City 1001 it states distributed by Primemasters. Does that help ? Tac-Ful, don't say nuthin 'bout dist.

Thanks. But, no, Primemasters distributing the Radio City issue wasn't the reason I re-shelved Tac-Ful.Tac-Ful. I haven't been able to locate them for about a year now. I haven't got time to systematically look through all my 45s.

Social source share

I've been trying to picture my Radio City DJ copy in my mind. And, more and more I'm visualising "There's Going to be a Wedding", rather than "Don't Wanna Be Your Fool" (which I have on two different Tac-=Ful pressings. So, I think I was mistaken, and have only "There's Going To Be A Wedding", on Radio City, rather than "Don't Wanna Be Your Fool". But I'll keep trying to find the Radio City record to make sure.

Social source share

In previous topic (july 2011), Marc Forrest quote 'don't want to be your fool' b/w 'you sould have told me' on Radio City 1001 as by the Royal Knights (not the New Yorkers) !!! Still, would love to see that !

I've been trying to picture my Radio City DJ copy in my mind. And, more and more I'm visualising "There's Going to be a Wedding", rather than "Don't Wanna Be Your Fool" (which I have on two different Tac-=Ful pressings. So, I think I was mistaken, and have only "There's Going To Be A Wedding", on Radio City, rather than "Don't Wanna Be Your Fool". But I'll keep trying to find the Radio City record to make sure.

Social source share

I think that 1001 was issued twice, to provide the name change:

Radio City 1001 - The New Yorkers - You should have told me / There's going to be a wedding

Radio City 1001 - The Royal Knights - You should have told me / There's going to be a wedding

And then, I'm almost certain there was a Royal Knights issue of "Don't Wanna Be Your Fool" on Radio City 1002. I think I've seen that. I think the main question is whether or not there was a New Yorkers issue of "Don't Want To Be Your Fool" on Radio City, before the name change. There doesn't seem to have been.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I found the thread we had on this subject on Raresoul Forum in 2007. Unfortunately, I had already forgotten where I'd re-shelved the Radio City New Yorkers' record by then, and so I didn't scan it on that thread. the Mr. Clean Radio City 1007 release has both sides scanned there. Tony parker and Chalky participated in that thread.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

In previous topic (july 2011), Marc Forrest quote 'don't want to be your fool' b/w 'you sould have told me' on Radio City 1001 as by the Royal Knights (not the New Yorkers) !!! Still, would love to see that !

if only someone had posted a link to photos previously in the thread!

Social source share

Here's the listing from R&B Indies (in black)......what we have listed are in red

Mr Clean was either released twice on the label or it is a misprint, the R&B Indies even has a number of RC-1002-B, no info for the top side.

100 The New Yorkers - Don't Want To Be Your Fool b/w You Should Have Told Me

101 The New Yorkers - Ain't That News b/w There's Going To be A Wedding

(Royal Knights)

1000 Willie Bovain Trio Carnival Of Soul (instrumental) b/w Soul In The Morning

1001 The Royal Knights - You Should Have Told Me b/w There's Going To be A Wedding

1001 The Royal Knights - You Should Have Told Me b/w Don't Want To Be Your Fool

1002 Mr Clean - Go Away Little Girl b/w What's Going On

1003 Rush & Gross - City Of Soul b/w Love Power

1005 Janis & Prince - Patricia (Here I Come) b/w Love And Devotion

1007 Mr Clean - Go Away Little Girl b/w What's Going On

Soul Harmony singles.......

101 The New Yorkers - Don't Want To Be Your Fool b/w You Should Have Told Me

102 The New Yorkers - Ain't That News b/w There's Going To be A Wedding

Social source share

Yes, that listing for Mr. Clean on 1002 is probably an inaccurate (bogus) listing. Now, I don't remember if my New Yorkers' on Radio City was in the 100 series or the 1000 series. But when I bring up the image in my mind, 1000 "looks more correct". I don't recall seeing a Radio City New Yorkers on 100 or 101. I can't help but wonder if the New Yorkers on Radio City weren't ALL on 1001 and 1002 BEFORE the change to Royal Knights, and then repressed on both same numbers, as The Royal Knights.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the listing from R&B Indies (in black)......what we have listed are in red

Mr Clean was either released twice on the label or it is a misprint, the R&B Indies even has a number of RC-1002-B, no info for the top side.

100 The New Yorkers - Don't Want To Be Your Fool b/w You Should Have Told Me

101 The New Yorkers - Ain't That News b/w There's Going To be A Wedding

(Royal Knights)

1000 Willie Bovain Trio Carnival Of Soul (instrumental) b/w Soul In The Morning

1001 The Royal Knights - You Should Have Told Me b/w There's Going To be A Wedding

1001 The Royal Knights - You Should Have Told Me b/w Don't Want To Be Your Fool

1002 Mr Clean - Go Away Little Girl b/w What's Going On

1003 Rush & Gross - City Of Soul b/w Love Power

1005 Janis & Prince - Patricia (Here I Come) b/w Love And Devotion

1007 Mr Clean - Go Away Little Girl b/w What's Going On

Soul Harmony singles.......

101 The New Yorkers - Don't Want To Be Your Fool b/w You Should Have Told Me

102 The New Yorkers - Ain't That News b/w There's Going To be A Wedding

plus

Mr. Clean & The Soul Inc. "Hey Love / I Bet He Don`t Love You" Radio City 500

The Mix Breed "Love And Devotion / Monday`s Blues" Radio City RC-1004

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 16/07/2010 at 07:21, Sebastian said:

post-1392-034758200 1279261307_thumb.jpg post-1392-046259300 1279261309_thumb.jpg

I know it's been a long time since this thread and I am newish member to this forum

I found these links on Dave's site (which appear to differ) and wondered if anyone knows.

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/newyorkers.htm

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/rgrier.htm

Wiki appears also to suggest that Mr Grier owned Tac-Ful ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Gresham

I am guessing that it was pressed twice? 

soul New A

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!