2011-06-24: Bridlington Spa Northern Soul Weekender

This was our 1st time at Brid and have to say what a weekend it was, there was something for everybody, but i kept getting drawn to the underplayed room superb tunes.

We met up with great friends and made some more wonderful people.

It was sad to see the young lady who slipped and apparently broke a bone in her neck? hope you get well very soon.

Only down side and there was only 1 was queuing 20-30 mins for a pint, to me it seemed if they had spent as much money on bar staff instead of the jobsworth security it would have run as smooth as silk.

All in all fantastic venue great people (as always at soul venues) superb music, roll on next year.

• Replies 331
  • Views 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest the dukester

Another belter in Brid me thinks!!!!

Would just like to thank all the punters and DJ's in the R'n'B Room over the weekend, some great music played in there.

What I like about this room is apart from the quality of tunes played in there is the people take the time to listen and come up and ask "What was that record, never heard that one before, is it easy to find?" The depth of the tunes is wide and varied and many of them will not crossover into the "Main Room"... IMO...long may this continue and the R'n'B Room go from strength to strength

Thanks to all those who asked about the records I played Friday and Saturday and hope you have success in finding them out there, I will try and put up a playlist from the weekend when I return home on Friday

Once again big thanks to all who supported not just the R'n'B Room, but the whole E.C.S.C. Brid Weekender and If you enjoyed it give the guys a deserved shout out. :lol:

Cheers

Dukes and Julie

Back to work after Brid - :-(

Was my 1st visit, after going to Scarboro last year, we thought we'd better give it a go! Fantastic venue, great dance floor, love the balcony, R & B room great (when you could get in it) - Ditto rare room. club room a great idea, enjoyed friday night in there - particulary Orrell Soul Club.

Thorougly enjoyed the weekend, pub over the road was busy!

I only have one complaint - in the main room, there was a note on the stage for the DJ's - There are other rooms for rare, r&b, modern etc. Please stick to popular mainstream oldies" - Fair enough, and I understand that, BUT I do think DJ's should have the sense to not play the same records as the DJ before them! One of the DJ's played almost the exact same set on Friday & Saturday, and on saturday I heard so many records played 2 or even 3 times over the space of about 2 hours, at one point Mickie Champion "What good am I - 20 minutes apart!!

Mr Brady - Great sets as always, and luckily, didn't really fall into that trap. It's not as tho there isnt enough mainstream oldies to go round! as the odd DJ in the main room manage to prove, and it was only the odd DJ.

I am not the only one who was making this point either, I had quite a few conversations about it! It's ok saying "well go in one of the other rooms then" - and i did go in the other rooms, apart from when they were REALLY packed! I like the main room, and I like the music the play in there, but I still think th DJ's should at least show some imagination, and even some respect, and not play the same tunes as the person who was on in the hour before them!

Rant over, nuff said, and I shall be going back next year! :lol:

Well finaly got turned round from a fantastic weekender in my oppinion you could never beat the first one at the three B's but this was the best while at the spa and am glad you enjoyed your first time ssoulboy and come back next year just to respond to a couple of points yes it is annoying to hear repeats and especially by the next dj but one easy way round it is if you are asked to dj be there at least a couple of hours and listen to the djs before you and dont repeat them like the ecsc asked every dj to do but then you get someone come up and ask you to play there favourite tunes which you explain as been played 2 hours before wot do you do.Just on a personal note i had 2 spots in the main room and repeated 1 record for a close friend who had travelled to see me. I fully understand your feelings pal and i agree that the main room should be bouncing with oldies all weekend but i do think repeats were very minimal this year and the quality of music the majority of the weekend was brill and even though he is a close friend i thought Bridgeys saturday night spot was the best of the weekend imho just a couple of grumbles a bit too dark at the back and i had forgot the chuffing lights for joys stall LOL and the SS on the door a bit over powering especially when they ask can i put my hands in your box LOL but i know the ecsc have addressed this issue well done Rob Rob Pat fantastic time see you at Scarborough Yocky and Joy. KTF

This was our 1st time at Brid and have to say what a weekend it was, there was something for everybody, but i kept getting drawn to the underplayed room superb tunes.

We met up with great friends and made some more wonderful people.

It was sad to see the young lady who slipped and apparently broke a bone in her neck? hope you get well very soon.

Only down side and there was only 1 was queuing 20-30 mins for a pint, to me it seemed if they had spent as much money on bar staff instead of the jobsworth security it would have run as smooth as silk.

All in all fantastic venue great people (as always at soul venues) superb music, roll on next year.

Glad you enjoyed it

Im told the lady is ok .

jobsworth security was a problem they even tried telling me what i could and could not do :yes: to which i told em to get out of my face it was the female pumped up on male hormones ..... but thats sorted next year they wont be there ... :( Bar is an age old problem at many venues and one we constantly have a go at them about , we will once again have a further go at them for next year .however i was able to get served very fast at the bottle bars :lol:

Rob

top weekend, only gripe for me was the door to the balcony in the entrance foyer was closed, which resulted in people having to trek a quarter of a mile up and down stairs to get to the rare and modern rooms, my bunions are in tatters

Trev ...

Its closed because we cannot control the door mate .... ONE ENTRANCE ONLY ... however we are looking at allowing the use of it next year if we can get some extra staff in ..... .:lol:

Am sure i will be one of the many who offer plaudits yet again to the organisers, we pay, in my opinion, a pittance for a full weekend of the greatest music ever, when you compare to Glastonbury or what my son pays in Ibiza for a club entry, well.......

It is ran that superlatively that you take it for granted everything is running smoothly, there may be things behins the scenes the organisers have to address, but we never see them.

The lighting in the main room was a tad more subdued than last year, which for me was a blessing, as per i divided my time between losing myself to the sounds, and watching people who can actually dance, as opposed to me, who just endeavours to move in time to the music.

a mate joined our party for the Sat night who only dips his toe into the more commercial tracks, it blew his mind and he spent over an hour on the balcony watching in disbilief, especially young Ethan's footwork and moves

Divided my time between the main room, rare & underplayed, and my room of the weekend, the Club room, where i heard some classy sets, especially noteworthy was Tony B from Sheffield's City Limits, he had a few of the Sheffield crowd supporting him and played the type of sound i was hearing in Clifton Hall, Rotherham 30 years ago!

Big thanks to all those who organise and volunteer - i wonder how many of us actually seek you out to thank you for your efforts.......

Booked accom for next year, there may be other venues as good that i'm unaware of, but i'll wager there's none better

Sound like you had an amazing time , really pleased for you . I will try and get to it next year , now that Prestatyn is no more it will free up some of my allocated souling holidays.

Am sure i will be one of the many who offer plaudits yet again to the organisers, we pay, in my opinion, a pittance for a full weekend of the greatest music ever, when you compare to Glastonbury or what my son pays in Ibiza for a club entry, well.......

It is ran that superlatively that you take it for granted everything is running smoothly, there may be things behins the scenes the organisers have to address, but we never see them.

My lad does nightclub photography and works at many of the top clubs in the uk Mission etc and yes they dont know how lucky we are regarding admission :lol::yes:

.. Just like to thank all our Dj's-Volunteer door Staff-flyerin peeps-ticket agents and most of all i would thank all of you who support us with your patronage be you members

on soul source or just guests... . We had one or two minor things to sort and address ... some have already been addressed one in particular we will try and sort yet again ( Bar ) but this is a little harder to sort its down to peak demand at the bar.... we will try though rest assured we will not sit on our arse with it try we will :hatsoff2: standing in front of base bins and moaning its too baseeeeeeeeeee is a none starter though lol :lol:

will try and answer all though

first things first, KEEP MOTOR HOMES AND CARAVANS OFF THE ROADS DURING DAYLIGHT,,,, brid to york,,,,2hrs,,,,,, york to morpeth 1 hr,, RAGING,

anyway, must say for a first time visit we were amazed, best weekender, good music, venue, staff, djs, weather, all spot on, will be back next year, roll on scarbrough, loved the laid back afternoon sessions, main room dance floor was one of the best i have had the pleasure to dance ./ shuffle about on.

now you know what all the fuss is about ... :hatsoff2: nice to meet you by the way

Rob

Edited by Naughty Boy

.. Just like to thank all our Dj's-Volunteer door Staff-flyerin peeps-ticket agents a :lol:standing in front of base bins and moaning its too baseeeeeeeeeee is a none starter though lol :D

will try and answer all though

the 2 high frequency drivers put on the stage for the saturday transformed that area. good thinking on the Engineers' part :hatsoff2:.

60ssoulboy : I only have one complaint - in the main room, there was a note on the stage for the DJ's - There are other rooms for rare, r&b, modern etc. Please stick to popular mainstream oldies" - Fair enough, and I understand that, BUT I do think DJ's should have the sense to not play the same records as the DJ before them! One of the DJ's played almost the exact same set on Friday & Saturday, and on saturday I heard so many records played 2 or even 3 times over the space of about 2 hours, at one point Mickie Champion "What good am I - 20 minutes apart!!

understandable. i had 2 afternoon spots in main hall, but as Yocky mentioned, when a person comes up and requests a tune you played the day before, even if they were'nt there the first time to hear it, its hard to say no. its a fave and they'd love to hear it and dance to it. keep the dancers happy, hopefully all the DJ's did.

Belting weekend as always !

the 2 high frequency drivers put on the stage for the saturday transformed that area. good thinking on the Engineers' part :hatsoff2:.

glad it worked ... twas i who who instructed our own Engineer to do that and credit to him he was able to walk up to the table yet again because the system was set on the fri afters and locked down by the spa engineer..... but got to say with the spa slowly making rolling changes over the last four years to the PA system it is now out of this world , i have never before listened to our genre on such a qualty powerfull system :lol::D:yes:

Trev ...

Its closed because we cannot control the door mate .... ONE ENTRANCE ONLY ... however we are looking at allowing the use of it next year if we can get some extra staff in ..... .:lol:

it was open last year and it made getting to the rare and modern rooms a lot easier, if you're looking for someone to control that door, then i'll gladly volenteer my services for next year :hatsoff2:

NAUGHTY BOY "you may have had a few a few repeats but all djs are asked to be in early to try and avoid repeats , but did we get ghost in my house two or three times every hour nah :hatsoff2: it didnt get a spin at all :D "

I stick by my comments about repeats, but do understand what Yocky and others have said about playing requests, especially when people have travelled a long way, as someone who's done DJing of ALL kinds over the years, I do accept that is a fair comment, and playing requests is good thing too!

As for Ghost In My House - I won't be losing sleep over anyone forgetting to play it, although I did hear someone brave enough to play Judy Street in the main ballroom, and must say, it sounded pretty good! - I probably haven't heard it played out since Wigan!

I wasn't really having a dig about the music policy or the DJ's, just passing comment :lol: and for the record, I repeat, I had a great weekend and will be back next year, and I'll also be at Scarborough again this year too! :yes: And not just cos I'm lucky enough to be able to get there in 30-45 minutes from home either!!

Well done to everyone involved, a lot of time and effort goes in to these things, the bar queues didn't bother me too much - dont really drink - the doorstaff were a bit heavy handed at times, and unfortunately a friend was on the end of a bit of that, but heyho, they actually let me waltz straight in to every session and even opened doors for me!! 1st time that's ever happened!)

See you all at Scarborough!

NAUGHTY BOY "you may have had a few a few repeats but all djs are asked to be in early to try and avoid repeats , but did we get ghost in my house two or three times every hour nah :hatsoff2: it didnt get a spin at all :D "

I stick by my comments about repeats, but do understand what Yocky and others have said about playing requests, especially when people have travelled a long way, as someone who's done DJing of ALL kinds over the years, I do accept that is a fair comment, and playing requests is good thing too!

As for Ghost In My House - I won't be losing sleep over anyone forgetting to play it, although I did hear someone brave enough to play Judy Street in the main ballroom, and must say, it sounded pretty good! - I probably haven't heard it played out since Wigan!

I wasn't really having a dig about the music policy or the DJ's, just passing comment :lol: and for the record, I repeat, I had a great weekend and will be back next year, and I'll also be at Scarborough again this year too! :yes: And not just cos I'm lucky enough to be able to get there in 30-45 minutes from home either!!

Well done to everyone involved, a lot of time and effort goes in to these things, the bar queues didn't bother me too much - dont really drink - the doorstaff were a bit heavy handed at times, and unfortunately a friend was on the end of a bit of that, but heyho, they actually let me waltz straight in to every session and even opened doors for me!! 1st time that's ever happened!)

See you all at Scarborough!

Yes i know you was not.... and we welcome feedback mate ... Thats why i just had to correct it slightly . Yes and see you at Scarborough But hey come say hello

Was a Fantastic Weekend once again and totally agree the big downside was the bar situation....

They should sell JUGS of Beer as im sure that would hurry things along as our good friends needed to buy 2 pints each on every visit just to save a 20 plus que again!

Lots more Soulies in comparted to last year yet the bar staff had not changed and in many cases we heard people had gone over the road as was not prepared to Que for 20-30 mins but with better organisation im sure things would have gone a lot better.

Lets hope Next Year goes a little better........So Here is looking Forward to 2012..............K.T.F

Was a Fantastic Weekend once again and totally agree the big downside was the bar situation....

They should sell JUGS of Beer as im sure that would hurry things along as our good friends needed to buy 2 pints each on every visit just to save a 20 plus que again!

Lots more Soulies in comparted to last year yet the bar staff had not changed and in many cases we heard people had gone over the road as was not prepared to Que for 20-30 mins but with better organisation im sure things would have gone a lot better.

Lets hope Next Year goes a little better........So Here is looking Forward to 2012..............K.T.F

Ive told them to get peeps in just to pull pints and nothing else... the numbers though were the same last year :hatsoff2: because if we had more in we would have had to loose many tables .... i think more people spent more time in there this year

:hatsoff2:

Ive told them to get peeps in just to pull pints and nothing else... the numbers though were the same last year yes.gif because if we had more in we would have had to loose many tables .... i think more people spent more time in there this year

HI ROB,

WELL BRID WAS DEFINATELY UP TO THE MARK YET AGAIN IN ALL ASPECTS OF ITS OFFER. THE WEATHER ALSO PLAYED ITS PART OVER THE WEEKEND.

MANAGED TO GET ROUND ALL THE ROOMS ON THE SATURDAY NIGHT AND MUST SAY THAT EVERY ROOM OFFERED UP SOME GREAT MUSIC AND BUSY DANCE FLOORS. IT WAS SOMEWHAT BUSIER THAN LAST YEAR BUT STILL COMFORTABLE FOR GETTING AROUND.

I appreciate there may be some complaints but unless you have got the "Golden Touch" you will always struggle to get perfection :lol::D:yes:

Taking on board some of the gripes from people in attendance the one that seemed reccuring was that of the bar. What do the management at the Spa not get about peoples drinking habits?. Simple train of thought--------

Serve faster, Drink faster, Return to the bar, Buy more beer and the Spa makes more money-SIMPLES.

God help them if the prices were cheaper as us Yorkshire folk would put them under some real pressure :lol: :lol: :lol:laugh.giflaugh.gif .

PS You owe me a beer for ignoring me on saturday night!

ROY

:hatsoff2:

HI ROB,

WELL BRID WAS DEFINATELY UP TO THE MARK YET AGAIN IN ALL ASPECTS OF ITS OFFER. THE WEATHER ALSO PLAYED ITS PART OVER THE WEEKEND.

MANAGED TO GET ROUND ALL THE ROOMS ON THE SATURDAY NIGHT AND MUST SAY THAT EVERY ROOM OFFERED UP SOME GREAT MUSIC AND BUSY DANCE FLOORS. IT WAS SOMEWHAT BUSIER THAN LAST YEAR BUT STILL COMFORTABLE FOR GETTING AROUND.

I appreciate there may be some complaints but unless you have got the "Golden Touch" you will always struggle to get perfection :lol::D:yes:

Taking on board some of the gripes from people in attendance the one that seemed reccuring was that of the bar. What do the management at the Spa not get about peoples drinking habits?. Simple train of thought--------

Serve faster, Drink faster, Return to the bar, Buy more beer and the Spa makes more money-SIMPLES.

God help them if the prices were cheaper as us Yorkshire folk would put them under some real pressure yes.gif:lol: :lol: laugh.giflaugh.gif .

PS You owe me a beer for ignoring me on saturday night!

ROY

Roy we strive for perfection but we know its un achievable we cannot control everything mate ...

i told you Sat evening to come and have a natte r and drink on door :lol:

Roy we strive for perfection but we know its un achievable we cannot control everything mate ...

i told you Sat evening to come and have a natte r and drink on door :hatsoff2:

Mr Wickes, Brady & Wigley,

I had a ball at weekend enjoyed it as always, looking forward to Scarborough, see few comments regarding bar, a am sure that can be overcome next year, as in life & Business you will never please everyone, events such as these take months and months of planning, i for one thought weekend was superb, well done all keep up the great work see u all soon and again BRILLIANT.

GAINEY

Edited by greenways

the 2 high frequency drivers put on the stage for the saturday transformed that area. good thinking on the Engineers' part :thumbsup:.

No they bloody were'nt.

Did anyone notice one of the DJ's falling over on the stage at the end of Sunday night during the 'thank you's'?

Well that was me falling over one of these bloody monitors (might also have been due to the fact that I was full of beer & walking backwards :D ).

As for the weekend from a Modern room perspective I must say that IMO it was the best Brid weekender yet at the Spa.

The balance of music from all the DJ's was spot on right through from the 70's collectors through to the current 2K DJ's & this was shown by the always full dancefloor. The bar in the Modern room was also busy but don't think I ever had to wait more than 5 minutes to get served so not that bad really.

Also think the Sunday night format with the Wakefield City Soul Club is proving a major success as the room was just as full at midnight when Sean McPhail & myself wound things up as at any other time throughout the whole weekend.

See you all next year hopefully for as we say in Yorkshire, 'Summat new to do part 6'.

PS, if anyone has a picture or a video of my stage mishap please delete it & under no circumstances post it up on here.

PPS, Note to self. Don't play Reggae in't Modern room :D :D .

This weekender was definitely the best one we have ever been to by far....:thumbsup: to the ECSC team of Rob, Pat & Rob.

It had absolutely something for everyone....:D

5 rooms just say it all....:D

Really looking forward to Scarborough now....:D :D :thumbup:

Bridgey & Linda.

No they bloody were'nt.

Did anyone notice one of the DJ's falling over on the stage at the end of Sunday night during the 'thank you's'?

Well that was me falling over one of these bloody monitors (might also have been due to the fact that I was full of beer & walking backwards :D ).

Not the DJ Monitors Cunnie, the 'Front of house' speakers, at side of stage :thumbsup::D

AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE POSITIVE POSTS...2ND TIME AT BRID FOR ME AND SERIOUSLY ENJOYED MISSEN. EVEN BETTER THAN LAST YEAR. ALREADY BOOKED IN FOR FOR NEXT ONE. WELL DONE TO MSR,S WICKS, WIGLEY AND BRADY FOR A WELL ORGANISED EVENT, NOW ROLL ON SCARBORO :thumbsup::D

BRI PINCH

Guest yorks old boys

another fine mess thats what i wanted and it lived up to it brilliant all weekend,i dont moan just get on with the job in hand ,and the people that run this were very good at what they do like i am good at leg pulling and pint swilling,that naughty boy on the door said my ticket was no good nearly started yelling ,but he let me in when i told the wife would get him soz rob.can i ask one question are old and underplayed rare records not part off the northern scene they should be one or two played in the main room so it gives an understanding off the great music us ordinary people dont hear nudge nudge that lad that djd sat afternoon was good put some tunes on and said have this one then that takes some doing a big weldone.ps thanks for a great weekend :D:thumbsup::D

Last year was my first visit to the Bridlington Soul Weekender, and I liked it so much I rebooked for this year. I actually went to five weekenders last year (Prestatyn, Soul Essence, Great Yarmouth), Cleethorpes, Bridlington and MonuMental Soul, Clacton), but this year dropped Soul Essence and MonuMental, partly for financial reasons, not working means something has to give. But I didn't want to give up Brid as I considered it musically the best. I do spend nearly all my time in the rare and underplayed room.

I travelled up to Bridlington this year by train, King's Cross to Doncaster, then changed onto a train for Brid. Not a bad journey at all, but one gripe is that there isn't that much room for luggage considering the numbers of people travelling.

After arriving at Brid I found the guest house where I was staying; the proprietors are really nice people, was greeted with a most welcome cup of tea, just what I needed. I'd booked a single room which was okay for my needs, a place to sleep and a bathroom, not large but fine for three nights. You do appreciate your home after a holiday away though.

After unpacking I went straight to the Spa to get my wristband. Walking there I bumped into some people that I knew from Soul In The Sun, and throughout the weekend I bumped into so many of my friends. That was one of the things that made my weekend.

My good friends Paul and Helen McKay arrived a little later. Paul had a set in the rare room at 10 pm that evening. They picked up their wrist bands and then we went out for a meal. Last year I'd found a really nice Turkish restaurant somewhere in the streets a bit off the front, but of course I couldn't find it this time. However we did find another "Turkish" restaurant where we had a meal and it was a decent meal.

I went back to my room and showered and changed my clothes ready for the night ahead; I'd arranged to meet Paul and Helen in the rare room. Paul is the sort of DJ who gets to a gig early so as he doesn't play a record that another DJ's played already. He told me that he felt he should play his more dancey tracks as the people present only seemed to want to dance to tunes they knew, I suppose this is general. Fortunately for me he played plenty of tunes that I love to dance to, Topics' Hey Girl, Empires' You're On Top Girl, Salt & Pepper's A Man Of My Word, the Tropics' Hey You Little Girl (sublime record imo), Dusty Wilson's Gonna Be A Tragedy and others that I've forgotten. He was followed by John Parker, who is local to that part of Yorkshire, he played some lovely stuff, started off with Jesse James' Love Is Alright. Another one he played that had me out there was the Poets' Wrapped Around Your Finger, one of my favourite tunes to dance to. He was followed by John Alden, Tony Hatfield, and Dave Flint who all did nice sets. I stayed till near the end, I'd consumed a fair number of vodka and tonics so was feeling a bit tired. On the way out I bumped into a friend who I'd met at Soul In The Sun last November and we arranged to meet up the next day. When I got back to my room I collapsed into bed and was asleep almost immediately.

I got up the next morning at 8.30, so as I'd get my breakfast, which was a nice full English including black pudding, love that. I went back to my room for a lie down, then had a short walk and got back to the Spa at about 12.45. I'd hoped to hear Ian Seaman's set, but the times had been changed and he'd been on first. A lot of the music in the afternoon was mid tempo or sometimes even slower, reminded me a lot of when I first went out again in London, back in 2002 and 2003, especially at Soul In The City at the Old Blue Last. Two of my friends did sets, Martyn Bird and Don Kitchen, really good stuff, no £1000 records, just good music, and that's what is more important. On my way into the venue I'd bumped into Graham Slater, I'd met him a few years ago in Tenerife at Soul In The Sun and we'd bumped into each other over the years, I think the last time I'd seen him was at an allnighter at the 100 Club last year. I'd been so sorry to read about his illness so was very pleased to see him. He told me he was going to do a set based on the Twisted Wheel so I made a point of going down to the main room for it. I had to laugh as it seemed he'd raided my old record collection, very similar records to the London clubs of my youth. They still sound great in a big room with a lovely dance floor, even in trainers I was able to glide around.

I had a curry with my friend at her guest house, where the proprietor was Indian, so it was authentic, very nice. Then we went off to the Spa. The rare room has an annex where we sat and watched passersby and the sea. The music came in on a loudspeaker so I was able to jump up and dance when I wanted to. I'd unfortunately missed most of David Ferguson's set, he generally plays some really good records. Martyn and Don double decked, again some great underplayed tunes. They were followed by Mick & Mo, very accomplished DJs who specialise in Crossover, very nice mid tempo set. They left and went on to Lifeline, that shows real dedication. Paul Ackley followed and played some of my favourite tunes, including I'm Sure by Two Plus Two, not that well known it seems as only three of us were dancing to it. Naturally can't remember much else but do remember dancing to I'm Gone by Eddie Parker. Tony Hatfield and John Parker were on next, more good music, but a bit later I went down to the main room with my friend, rare soul isn't to everybody's taste, and I think she prefers the more uptempo oldies side of our music. I stayed down there till the end of the night, about 2.30. My only gripe about it is that it alway seems to be the same old oldies, Just Loving You, Cashin' In, etc. They are great records but I do wish DJs would find some other ones. But of course at the end of the evening people do want classics, the dance floor was full, so I am in a minority.

The next morning after breakfast I went down and sat in a small green area at the front, it was very hot and I was very tired. I picked up a bit of colour on my face; I went for a short walk but my legs felt tired after all the dancing I'd done the previous night. I went back into the Spa at just gone 1 pm to hear Martyn Bird's last set, more good tunes. He was followed by Brendan Carroll who had a lady with him, I don't know her name, but she did DJ there a couple of times last year. She's got good taste is all I can say. I think it was Gainey on next followed by Mark Etheridge, both nice sets. I went up to ask Mark about a record he was playing, when he told me I realised I'd got it, the b side of the Voice Masters' When A Woman Catches A Fool. What am I like? David Ferguson was next, some great tunes, including Stubborn Heart by Ernest Moseley, he said it was his favourite record. When he finished I went downstairs to hear some of Ian Seaman's set, his first tune was Dean Parrish's Bricks. Broken Bottles And Sticks. That's an oldie that I really like and don't hear it that often, so had a dance, the floor in the Spa's main area is great, one of the best I've ever danced on. Later on I felt hungry, and at a friend's suggestion went to the Chinese restaurant opposite. That was quite a nice meal.

After showering and changing I strolled back to the Spa, where John Alden was spinning disks in the rare room, I walked in to him playing Do I Make Myself Clear by Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto. He followed with a couple of R&B type tracks then some Crossover including The Look On Your Face by James Phelps, the best version in my opinion. He was followed by Tony Hatfield, more nice tunes, several new to me, which is the point of the rare room. Then it was John Parker, played my request for the Poets, followed it by Betty Wilson's I'm Yours, another one that I really like. He did an excellent set, then he and Tony Hatfield double decked till the end, some time just gone midnight. Then we went downstairs, I had a dance but felt really tired. I sat with my friend for a while but tiredness had overcome me. I don't usually get tired if I'm on a niter, so why was I knackered then? Perhaps it was the drink, don't touch alcohol when doing a niter. So at about 12.45 I went back to my room and went to bed.

I got up early in the morning, needed to pack my case after showering, then breakfast. At about 10.35 I strolled to the station, where I bumped into Allan Edge. We got on the same train and chatted during the journey. The train was so hot, I was glad to get off at Doncaster. I had half an hour or so to wait; my next train was slightly late. Due to so much luggage I had to leave my weekend case by the rack and went down the other end of the carriage to my seat, where I alternately read my book and dozed. The train was packed, so again glad when I got off at King's Cross and walked through to the suburban services platform. Changed trains at Finsbury Park and got home about 4.20. Due to being really hot I immediately showered and changed into shorts. I'm sure you really wanted to know that, lol. Nice to go away but nice to come home.

I really enjoyed the whole weekend. My only real gripe was the lack of bar staff, there were long queues at all bars on Friday evening and on Saturday. As many went home on Sunday it seemed a lot better then. The security staff checked bags very thoroughly when you went in, they were checking for bottles of drink I suppose. Some people got frustrated with the queues and walked across to the pub opposite the Spa, had a drink and went back. But these are minor gripes as far as I'm concerned. The music was superb, and it was great to see so many of my friends from all over the country.

I've already booked my B&B for next year, so will apply for my ticket asap. Well done to the organisers and all the DJs. As there are five rooms I only scratched the surface, you wish you could be in two places at once. A great weekender, long may it continue.

I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to put my recollections of the weekend down as soon as possible.

First time at Brid for me and one of me mates up from Northants and loved it to bits. Pretty much divided our time between the main room & modern room with the odd spell in the rare room.

Something for everyone there I think it's fair to say and not being a seasoned weekender attendee it was great to be dancing mid afternoon Saturday and Sunday then walk outside squinting at the bright sun and all the peeps on the beach etc.

Superb music, great dancing, very friendly people and really well organised. Shame in a way it all had to stop for a couple hours late Saturday afternoon but probably just as well on reflection!

Great to meet Pat Brady & Lynne after only speaking from a distance this last couple of years (not so great to spend more money on 45's which I hadn't planned on spending mind you!).

Already in the diary for next year and hope we can actually get somewhere to stay in Brid next time rather than having to trek a further 20 odd miles up to Scarborough!

Very well done to the ECSC and all the DJs (and venue staff...even if they did get friendly grief when trying to clear us from the modern room just after 5.30 on Saturday!).

hatsoff2.gif

Thats a great write up Geoff, Turkish in Brid ? well I never ! We eat ever year in Yipps the Chinese opposite the Spa, Connor loves it-we even go there when we go to concerts in the Spathumbsup.gif

That's a might long way to travel, thanks for putting your faith in us-are you coming to Scarborough ?

Rob

this is the best weekender of the year for me,i love the venue,wish all venues had dance floors as big,i don't drink so queuing did'nt affect me,but can understand the frustration,the pub across the road must have been pleased though,a lot of people went across there for a drink,

my only complaint is tables encroaching way too far onto the dancefloor,could have moved them back and had the walkway smaller,apart from that a brilliant weekend,hate it when it's over and have to go back to the normal crap,

Big shout to Rob, Pat, Rob & everybody for making brid No5 another brilliant weekend , spend most of the time in Modern & Rare underplayed rooms . qaulity soul in both rooms all weekend ........................... roll on next year

Big thanks to Cunnie & everyone who surported us on Sunday night & made it one big party night

Thanks

Wakefield City Soul Club

another fine mess thats what i wanted and it lived up to it brilliant all weekend,i dont moan just get on with the job in hand ,and the people that run this were very good at what they do like i am good at leg pulling and pint swilling,that naughty boy on the door said my ticket was no good nearly started yelling ,but he let me in when i told the wife would get him soz rob.can i ask one question are old and underplayed rare records not part off the northern scene they should be one or two played in the main room so it gives an understanding off the great music us ordinary people dont hear nudge nudge that lad that djd sat afternoon was good put some tunes on and said have this one then that takes some doing a big weldone.ps thanks for a great weekend :D:thumbsup::thumbup:

kinnel.... :D hey on the underplayed i also agree to a extent and a few were spun in there i do believe :D

this is the best weekender of the year for me,i love the venue,wish all venues had dance floors as big,i don't drink so queuing did'nt affect me,but can understand the frustration,the pub across the road must have been pleased though,a lot of people went across there for a drink,

my only complaint is tables encroaching way too far onto the dancefloor,could have moved them back and had the walkway smaller,apart from that a brilliant weekend,hate it when it's over and have to go back to the normal crap,

did you not notice we changed the tables sat night :thumbsup:

Had a great time at my first Brid weekender, and many thanks to Pat for the invite to play in the Rare & Underplayed roomand to Geoff, Taff and Rachel for their company! The beer buying problem has already been mentioned above, but we just adjusted the quantities upwards per visit! Thought the R&U room wasn't quite what I was expecting musically but got into the swing of things quickly enough. Congrats to all involved!

Edited by Paul McKay

BRILLIANT WEEKEND TOP TUNES PLAYED ALL WEEKEND IN EVERY ROOM BY ALL THE DJS

STOPPED FOR THE SUNDAY THIS YEAR SO GLAD WE DID IT WAS A BELTER YOCKY FOLLOWED BY BRIDGEY QUALITY TUNES PLAYED

GREAT ATMOSPHERE EVERY SESSION ALL WEEKEND IN ALL ROOMS

DIGS FOR NEXT YEAR BOOKED TICKETS BOUGHT, SCARBOROUGH DIGS AND TICKETS SORTED

A BIG THANK YOU MUST GO TO THE TWO ROBS ,PAT AND THE ECSC FOR ONCE AGAIN PUTTING TOGETHER IN MY OPINION THE BEST WEEKENDER AROUND ALL THE HARD WORK WAS REPAYED

ONCE AGAIN

THE PEOPLE WHO ATTEND THESE EVENTS MAKE THESE SPECIAL NEW FRIENDSHIPS ARE MADE AT EVERY EVENT WHICH LAST YOU CANNOT BUY THESE

CARLSBERG DEFINITELY DO SOUL WEEKENDERS

BRILLIANT WEEKEND TOP TUNES PLAYED ALL WEEKEND IN EVERY ROOM BY ALL THE DJS

STOPPED FOR THE SUNDAY THIS YEAR SO GLAD WE DID IT WAS A BELTER YOCKY FOLLOWED BY BRIDGEY QUALITY TUNES PLAYED

GREAT ATMOSPHERE EVERY SESSION ALL WEEKEND IN ALL ROOMS

DIGS FOR NEXT YEAR BOOKED TICKETS BOUGHT, SCARBOROUGH DIGS AND TICKETS SORTED

A BIG THANK YOU MUST GO TO THE TWO ROBS ,PAT AND THE ECSC FOR ONCE AGAIN PUTTING TOGETHER IN MY OPINION THE BEST WEEKENDER AROUND ALL THE HARD WORK WAS REPAYED

ONCE AGAIN

THE PEOPLE WHO ATTEND THESE EVENTS MAKE THESE SPECIAL NEW FRIENDSHIPS ARE MADE AT EVERY EVENT WHICH LAST YOU CANNOT BUY THESE

CARLSBERG DEFINITELY DO SOUL WEEKENDERS

202969_100001536958902_2397420_n.jpg cheers mate

Edited by Naughty Boy

Thats a great write up Geoff, Turkish in Brid ? well I never ! We eat ever year in Yipps the Chinese opposite the Spa, Connor loves it-we even go there when we go to concerts in the Spathumbsup.gif

That's a might long way to travel, thanks for putting your faith in us-are you coming to Scarborough ?

Rob

I'm not planning to go to Scarborough but plans can change. Just depends on circumstances and finance. It was a long journey to Brid but thoroughly worth it.

Well on the way to making a full recovery from what can only be describe as one hell of a cracking week-ender. Hat off to Messer's Wicks, Brady & Wigley, not forgetting all the backroom staff who made it such a fabulous three days. Although we spent most of the time in the rare & underplayed room on our wanderings every room was bouncing.

Great to catch up with people I'd not seen for awhile (Ian Seaman and Geoff Green to name but two)

and quite a few who were there for the first time and all said they were coming back and couldn't wait for next years event. Looking forward to seeing them all again. Had a great time spinning a few tunes in the rare & underplayed room and double decking with the young Mr Bird in there on the Saturday night.

Thanks to our good friends Pete & Av for being excellent company all week end.

Digs already booked for June 22nd, 23rd, & 24th 2012

cheers

Don

Guest Tony B

A CRACKIN W/ENDER!! I PERSONALLY THOUGHT I'D HAD ENOUGH OF W/ENDERS BUT THIS HAS RE-JUVINATED ME ALL OVER AGAIN!

THE VENUE...THE ROOMS AND THE WEATHER WE WERE BLESSED WITH ALL MADE IT VERY SPECIAL!! NOT TO MENTION ALL THE DJS WHO ALL ROSE TO THE OCCASION! I WOULD LIKE TO THANK WICKSY AND ROB WIGLEY FOR GIVIN ME (CITY LIMITS SHEFFIELD) A SPOT IN THEIR CLUB SOUL ROOM AND FOR GETTIN ME A DRINK IN! MUCH APPRECIATED!! SO A BIG HATS OFF ONCE MORE TO ALL INVOLVED AND ME AND MY MATES WILL DEFINATELY BE BACK NEXT YEAR!

KTF....TONY B CITY LIMITS (SHEFFIELD SOUL POSSE)

You may have noticed we moved the tables back a row on sat night :thumbsup: there a certain areas in the main arena that have to be clear because they are escape routes :ohmy:

well the dingles and duckworths had a crackin w/end and we have booked the digs for next year

read a few niggly complaints on here but hey ho name me a w/ender or niter that is perfect.

this has got to be the best run, most friendly and the greatest value for money w/ender there is ,

and the musics not bad too (apart from the numpty in the main room who played supershit)

and had he nicked the top tier off blackpool tower to put on his bonce :ohmy:

even the sun shone for us and had a couple of mornin rides on us scoots to filey and scabby,

all in all the most magnorious of w/ends.:thumbsup:

Guest Barry Holland

Second time at Brid for me and the Mrs. Enjoyed last year and enjoyed this year even more. Great venue, great people, great friends and great music. What's also great about weekenders in general is walking round in the day and bumping into friends and having a chat and meeting new friends, just a great atmosphere to the place in general. Allready booked for next year, can't wait, Barry and Ann, KGB, KTF.

Come on Barney Super Ship by Gerge Benson cracking record and brings back some Cleethorpes and Sammys memories. On a presonal note another thumbs up from us. Our 4th Brid weekender and probably the best once you got past the Gestapo on the door. We're they invited or did the council insist on their provocative presence? All rooms we're buzzing and we gave each one a try at some point. Spent most of the time in the pulsating modern room to hear the familiar and not so familiar up to date toones. The pleasant suprise was the RnB room. It was so refreshing to hear so many underplayed and virtually unknown (to me anyway) quality tracks. Is this an area of our scene which has been overlooked by the mainsteam? The club room gave us a taste of what other soul clubs have to offer and it was all very acceptable. The rare room was always interesting as you did not know what was coming next and a chance to hear something different. The main room provided what msot people wanted which was the known classics and it created a fabulous atmosphere and at times it reminded me of Wigan Casino (not in decor or size mind you) and the atmosphere that it once produced. Unfortunately can't do Scarborough as its fallen on the wrong Saturday, football season and all that, but we'll definetly back for some more next year.

Come on Barney Super Ship by Gerge Benson cracking record and brings back some Cleethorpes and Sammys memories. On a presonal note another thumbs up from us. Our 4th Brid weekender and probably the best once you got past the Gestapo on the door. We're they invited or did the council insist on their provocative presence? All rooms we're buzzing and we gave each one a try at some point. Spent most of the time in the pulsating modern room to hear the familiar and not so familiar up to date toones. The pleasant suprise was the RnB room. It was so refreshing to hear so many underplayed and virtually unknown (to me anyway) quality tracks. Is this an area of our scene which has been overlooked by the mainsteam? The club room gave us a taste of what other soul clubs have to offer and it was all very acceptable. The rare room was always interesting as you did not know what was coming next and a chance to hear something different. The main room provided what msot people wanted which was the known classics and it created a fabulous atmosphere and at times it reminded me of Wigan Casino (not in decor or size mind you) and the atmosphere that it once produced. Unfortunately can't do Scarborough as its fallen on the wrong Saturday, football season and all that, but we'll definetly back for some more next year.

Hi Paul, for its musical range and quality, my personal view is that you'll be hard pushed to find a better weekender anywhere. We spent a lot of time in the rare room, which we love, with the odd trip to the modern and club rooms, but, perhaps because I DJ the stuff, the R&B room is the top attraction. I played a few spots, and the atmosphere was fantastic. I've not played to a better crowd anywhere and if you found the tunes new and refreshing then that's really great to hear. From a fairly quiet beginning it's developed into a major addition to the other rooms, and I think it will continue to grow. R&B was common enough in the early days (before northern soul, as we know it), and is still played at the Twisted Wheel of course, but a lot of places don't bother. It tends to be more Mod-orientated and scooter venues that specialise nowadays, which, for me personally, is a bit unfortunate.

That's not to knock anyone's personal taste, or any venue anywhere, but I've always believed in variety and Bridlington certainly gives you that.

Cheers

John

Source Advert