Usos Last Night (Saturday)

Twiddling my thumbs while kids get breakfast then off to bed for some much needed beauty sleep so thought I'd post this early doors ... ...

Had an absolutely brilliant night at USOS last night for a range of reasons: great company (Joan and Tony) there and back (traffic trauma on the way down but no big deal as we made it in the end), friendly, familiar faces once we got there, excellent tunes all night.

Nights like this reaffirm my faith in the whole thing. When there's so much that is average at best these days (IMHO of course) this was just what the doctor ordered. As is often said, well done to Martyn, Kev, Shaz and everyone who continues to support USOS and the philosophy which underpins it.

Faces first then: apart from the aforementioned, always good to catch up with like-minded souls of the calibre of Dave Welding (and Mrs), Ritchie, Steve and Mrs G, Lou n Woody, Kev B, Waggsy, Tony Foster and Mrs (with earrings) ... ...

Tunage: Enjoyed some or all of every DJ's set and without getting into too much detail - hope folk will post playlists in due course - I thought there was a real mix played and something for everyone over the course of the evening, although the standard didn't drop at all:

Great to hear Jordi play 'Stormy' and loads of other tasty bits;

Arthur was, well, Arthur - some absolutely top drawer 60s as usual;

Thought Kev Spittle (mate though he is - he knows I'd also tell him if I thought he was rubbish) was superb. Never played a bad record IMHO (apart from the Universals which is shit and needs to be given to me for immediate disposal ):lol: ;

Tony F was his usual passionate self and had the floor buzzing (never seen him fail yet and a genuinely nice bloke too);

Martyn mixed it up really well and and pulled it off too I thought;

Harpo finished things off with a drop of 70s which got em up n going again;

Last but certainly not least, late sub though she was, that Joan woman did it again, playing as she did to a busy floor throughout and absolutely blowing me away with Foreign Blue Renaissance ... ... TUNE!

Every time I manage to get to USOS I have a fantastic night and promise myself that I'll get there regularly. See you next time for more of the same then.

Phil

:thumbup:ps. good to see you looking so well too Kev. Take it easybud

Edited by PhilT
  • Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yet another great night at USOS.

Traffic trauma is something of an understatement! We got to within one mile of the Walsall turn off at 8.20pm and there we stayed for a further 1hour and 20 minutes not moving more than a few feet.

The one time I am late for my spot and I am not only late.. I miss it completely :yes:

Anyway, the journey was forgotten as soon as we got inside. Great music and top people was all it took.

Enjoyed every set. Like Phil said, something for everyone but all of it quality.

GREAT STUFF INDEED :thumbsup:

Special thanks to the lovely Phil for getting us there and back safe and sound and for keeping us thoroughly entertained!

Guest Northern PhanTom

Another top night at united sound of soul. You guys deserve a thorough pat on the back with all the venue changes you have been through over the years usos never fails to deliver a night out where you hear quality tunes in a nice warm friendly atmosphere.

Arrived about eight thirty could see there were en forced changes in the line up times but no one cared cus it was quality all the way, only downside was had to come away at two so missed Martyns set yet again (sorry m8) also missed out on the second half of Joans two parter and Harpos set sorry guys looks like you carried the quality torch to the final spin of the night.

Tom &Therese

that bloody road works motorway has a lot to answer for, we was late, and we only live 20 minutes away!!!

another good nite notched up yet again, as aways a pleasure to be their in such good company, of so many like minded people, who all endeavor and reach for the same thing... every body played a blinder, But thankyou Mr Fenn for playing everything that I love to bits, and you made me dance more than I should have, always have time for Joan, someone who does know how to put a fookin good set to-gther, love to hear Tony Foster as he reminds me of woody, very much of the same vein, brilliant and hats off to all you who DJ,ed sat, it all came to-gther so well, at 4am that was it fa me, knackered, as we had a late nite on the Friday, so had to head home, but contented and well full of soul,love to chat to Phil, I think hes one of the most nicest guys on this scene and he talks so much sense,although some people will not agree with me :lol: and good to hear Martyn and Kevin DJ, which they should do so more often :hatsoff2:

Guest Mike The Bike

What a great little club this is !!

My second time there and everything just delivered for me the music is simply AWESOME !!!! :thumbsup: good job i bought a few shirts along :g: really cant wait for the next one keep up the good work guys and thanx

First of all thank you to Kev, Sharon and Martyn, for putting up with me and putting me on, I really appreciate the support and the chance to share the music, love the USOS from the first time I went to the AP club.

What a storming night, as always Arthur Fenn was superb, never a bad track from him and a really nice guy. Martyn and Kev the hosts played some really nice tunes, plenty of gems in their boxes.

Joan, what can I say, always an inspiration, she never ceases to amaze me with the gems she finds. I think Joan and Tony had been burning the midnight oil for the recent find, jammy buggers, loved the set.

As always the M6 car park stopped us for over and hour and half just before the Walsall turn off as well. DJ times were shuffled about a bit, understandably, however here is what I played in no particular order:-

CAROL ANDERSON – TAKING MY MIND OFF LOVE – WHIP

KENI LEWIS – WHAT'S HER NAME – BUDDAH

STER-PHONICS – DON'T LEAVE ME – MAS-TOK

DYNAMICS – YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO GOOD – RCA

LIMITATIONS – I'M LONELY, I'M TROUBLED – BACONE

BARBARA CARR – MY MAMA TOLD ME – CHESS

STEVE MANCHA – FRIDAY NIGHT – GROOVESVILLE

CALIFORNIA ROCK CHOIR – WHOEVER YOU ARE – CYCLONE

BARBARA MASON – YOU BETTER STOP IT – ARCTIC

VOLTAIRE'S – MY, MY, MY, BABY – BACONE

GARY DEAN – YOU CAN SAY – YOUNG

VOICES INCORPORATED – THINKIN' – COLUMBIA

ISONICS – SUGAR – KAMMY

JOHNNY McCALL – YOU CAN'T GET AWAY – SATELLITE

LEE FIELDS – TAKE ME BACK – ANGLE3

JOE HINTON – GOT YOU ON MY MIND – BACK BEAT

FREDERICK HYMES – TIME AIN'T GONNA DO ME NO FAVOR – FAB VEGAS

WILLIE & THE MAGNIFICENTS – FUNKY 8 CORNERS – ALL-PLATINUM

A big thank you to everyone who was there on Saturday for listening and dancing, see you soon.

P.S. Thank you Phil T for the entertaining chat and for the kind words, also thank you Lou and Woody for all your support.

Edited by Tony Foster

Thanks for a great night, we enjoyed ourselves.

Soulful people, music, free sweets & a cd, can't be bad.

I did try to stage a sit in at the end, but we had to take Sandi home, so that put paid to that idea. HA HA.

So we just carried on the party at Sandi & Harpo's with David Bailey Mike, Mr Goosie-Goosie Waggsy my husband & I.

Big Big Thanks to you all.

Love

Julia.thumbsup.gif

xxxxxxxxxx

Guest Mike The Bike

Thanks for a great night, we enjoyed ourselves.

Soulful people, music, free sweets & a cd, can't be bad.

I did try to stage a sit in at the end, but we had to take Sandi home, so that put paid to that idea. HA HA.

So we just carried on the party at Sandi & Harpo's with David Bailey Mike, Mr Goosie-Goosie Waggsy my husband & I.

Big Big Thanks to you all.

Love

Julia.thumbsup.gif

xxxxxxxxxx

Ha Ha ... and wot a party it was and you wouldnt believe wot we got up to

and i have the pictures and video to prove it wub.gif if you aint seen Harpo do Max Wall

then you are in for a treat :( a whole day of relentless and childish silliness together with some of the best soul music this side of Soul Sams box :wicked: a truly fantastic ending to a brilliant weekend :D looking forward to STOKE on sat see you all there :lol: i will bring all my shirts :thumbup: LOL

Here are my plays from Saturday night. In no order.

BILLY KENNEDY - SWEET THINGS - THELMA

BOBBY WELLS - BE'S THAT WAY SOMETIMES - ROMUR

SHEP - FOOL TO FOOL - TNT

FALCONS - GOOD GOOD FEELING - BIG WHEEL

EXITS - GOT TO HAVE MONEY - GEMINI

LOVEMASTERS - PUSHIN AND PULLIN - JACKLYN

BUDDY LAMP - SAVE YOUR LOVE - WHEELSVILLE

VENTURAS - HEART OF LOVE - GREEN LIGHT

MARVIN L SIMS - GET OFF MY BACK - REVUE

MELVIN DAVIS - I MUST LOVE YOU - GROOVESVILLE

MATADORS - SAY YES BABY - CHAVIS

CELEST HARDIE - YOU'RE GONE - REYNOLDS

FOUR SONICE PLUS ONE - TELL ME YOU'RE MINE - SEPIA

MIXED EMOTIONS - AM I IMPOSING - ROCKWAY

FOUR VOICES - YOUR LOVE IS GETTING STRONGER - VOICE

FOREIGN BLUE RENAISSANCE - FINDING YOU - KOHOUTECH

DYNAMICS - WOMAN - BRAINSTORM

Can't believe that I wrote a big lookback then lost it all :lol: problem now is I can't remember what I wrote so I'll just say a big thanks to all the dj's there was loads of great stuff played last Saturday and my legs we're still aching on Wednesday, thanks to all who came it was great to see you all. Quite a trauma with people getting stuck in the roadworks on the M6 had to juggle with dj times but no harm done in the end. Extra thanks to Harpo for doing the first and last spot but having to pop off inbetween to do his spot across town, and to Kev B & Joan for stepping in at last minute and last but not least to Ian & Denise who I left on the door for most of the night.

Next date is 6th November and we look forward to seeing you all for more of the same.

Sharon

Guest Northern PhanTom

Can't believe that I wrote a big lookback then lost it all :lol: problem now is I can't remember what I wrote so I'll just say a big thanks to all the dj's there was loads of great stuff played last Saturday and my legs we're still aching on Wednesday, thanks to all who came it was great to see you all. Quite a trauma with people getting stuck in the roadworks on the M6 had to juggle with dj times but no harm done in the end. Extra thanks to Harpo for doing the first and last spot but having to pop off inbetween to do his spot across town, and to Kev B & Joan for stepping in at last minute and last but not least to Ian & Denise who I left on the door for most of the night.

Next date is 6th November and we look forward to seeing you all for more of the same.

Sharon

Don't tell porkies Shaz, its took you a week for you to recover :yes::yes: