Catacombs Reunion 5Th Annivesary, Dedicated To Blue Max

How good was that? Sincere thanks to everyone who made it such an amazing event. You could literally cut the atmopshere with a knife.

Lots of poignant moments thinking about Max during the night. Hearing Lenis Guess "Just Ask Me" reminded me so much of him remembering: "At the Catacombs the dancers used to climb up the walls."

Everyone's a bit too old to do that these days, but at times last night it was like being 18 again at The Cats.

Linda Millward was very touched with the obvious love and respect for Max, and has asked me to thank everyone for being so generous with their donations. All 4 banners went to good homes!

Like so many people said during the eveniing - "Max would have loved this!"

Would also like to say well done to Tony Foley, Steve Bowles,, Steve Powell and everyone else involved in getting Wolverhampton Civic Society, with the support of English Heritage, to put up in Temple Street the blue plaque commemorating The Catacombs. Thought the opening ceremoney was great, it's astonishing how that little club meant/means so much to so many people.

All the Best,

Neil

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How good was that? Sincere thanks to everyone who made it such an amazing event. You could literally cut the atmopshere with a knife.

Lots of poignant moments thinking about Max during the night. Hearing Lenis Guess "Just Ask Me" reminded me so much of him remembering: "At the Catacombs the dancers used to climb up the walls."

Everyone's a bit too old to do that these days, but at times last night it was like being 18 again at The Cats.

Linda Millward was very touched with the obvious love and respect for Max, and has asked me to thank everyone for being so generous with their donations. All 4 banners went to good homes!

Would also like to say well done to Tony Foley, Steve Bowles,, Steve Powell and everyone else involved in getting Wolverhampton Civic Society, with the support of English Heritage, to put up in Temple Street the blue plaque commemorating The Catacombs. Thought the opening ceremoney was great, it's astonishing how that little club meant/means so much to so many people.

All the Best,

Neil

dear neil,

here! here! what a fantastic event, just like the catacombs, the condensation was literally dripping off the walls and everyone this morning would be highly amused if they got on the scales and found they had lost a bag of sugar!!. tremendous tunes forged in the spirit of the venue and all the guests who chipped in with their little cameos must be overwhelmed with pride and satisfaction for being graceously given the opportunity to pay homage to max....thanks indeed again, neil to your good self. lest we forget, graham, bill and carl also set out their stall and revelled once more in taking you back to a time of pure innocense when they were the purveyors of all that was new. these guys gave some much in the pioneering days of the scene and deserve full credit for their efforts and dedication.

and neil, its a huge thanks to you for making the reunion possible and the subsequent fantastic attendance at great wyrley f.c., max would have loved to be at the helm god bless him, instead he gave us a sunny day and a hard dancin' hot night...you couldnt ask for more and he would have expected nothing less.

lovely to see linda there as well,she was genuinely enjoying every minute of the night and i know as do you, that she is immensely proud of how max influenced so many people's lives.

this was my first reunion, it wont be the last so, lets keep the faith again, this time next year.:boxing::thumbsup:

rob.h

dear neil,

here! here! what a fantastic event, just like the catacombs, the condensation was literally dripping off the walls and everyone this morning would be highly amused if they got on the scales and found they had lost a bag of sugar!!. tremendous tunes forged in the spirit of the venue and all the guests who chipped in with their little cameos must be overwhelmed with pride and satisfaction for being graceously given the opportunity to pay homage to max....thanks indeed again, neil to your good self. lest we forget, graham, bill and carl also set out their stall and revelled once more in taking you back to a time of pure innocense when they were the purveyors of all that was new. these guys gave some much in the pioneering days of the scene and deserve full credit for their efforts and dedication.

and neil, its a huge thanks to you for making the reunion possible and the subsequent fantastic attendance at great wyrley f.c., max would have loved to be at the helm god bless him, instead he gave us a sunny day and a hard dancin' hot night...you couldnt ask for more and he would have expected nothing less.

lovely to see linda there as well,she was genuinely enjoying every minute of the night and i know as do you, that she is immensely proud of how max influenced so many people's lives.

this was my first reunion, it wont be the last so, lets keep the faith again, this time next year.:boxing::thumbsup:

rob.h

Well worth the trip down from Wigan my mate ste and kath powell asked us down as he was a friend of MAX we was made up with all the stuff that was played really really nice to have a night full of oldies be down for the next one !! hopefully next year on a happier note The cats was just before my time and a place i wish i could have gone but such is life !! Keep up the good venues BLACK COUNTRY you always did and am sure you always will KTF WIGANELLI

All the Best,

Neil

What an awesome night!!

Well done Neil & everyone else involved you all did our Max & the Cats very proud indeed!!

And YES Max certainly would have loved it bless him!! :thumbsup:

Lovely to see Linda there too!! :yes:

JB x x x

Great night knew it was gonna be a packer as we arrived at 9.00pm the car park was rammed and a full crowd made it a superb night along with the many fitting tibutes and records dedicated etc to Blue Max. As Neil said Max would have loved every minute of last night the tunes played the friends reunited and the memories shared it was a pleasure to be there.

Well done to all.

Guest sandi

I can only echo what has already been said, it's not often a venue draws so many these days, then everyone in attendance l'm sure like myself was there primarily to show respect and be part of a final tribute to Max.

Sandi xxx

What a SUPERB turn out!!

Lovely Honoring a legendary Venue and FOUR Origanal DJs who are now now longer with us!!

The Thought Carl Dene has still got the edge like hes never been away!!

My thanks to Neil for inviting me to DJ ,,, one nite that i will personaly treasure Always

Along with the Plaque Ceromany an totaly TOP DAY!!

Nige B

post-1851-098231500 1278874778_thumb.jpg

post-1851-035263100 1278874814_thumb.jpg

Guest Chris Waterman

Express & Star have today run a big spread about The Catacombs plaque ceremony.

Neil

Hi Neil

Can you get a scan of the paper and upload it on to here?

Best

Chris W

What a SUPERB turn out!!

Lovely Honoring a legendary Venue and FOUR Origanal DJs who are now now longer with us!!

The Thought Carl Dene has still got the edge like hes never been away!!

My thanks to Neil for inviting me to DJ ,,, one nite that i will personaly treasure Always

Along with the Plaque Ceromany an totaly TOP DAY!!

Nige B

This was one of the most special northern soul events that I have ever attended and like Nige and the rest of the freinds of Blue Max it was the ultimate honor to be asked by Neil to spin a few tunes. This was the best Catacombs DJ get together yet, an electric atmosphere, intense heat, even hotter sounds and yes, Carl Dene, Graham Warr, Bill Baker and Neil Rushton all showed why this was the greatest little soul club in the land.,and with the celebration of the blue plaque earlier in the day with yet another of the catacombs greats Mike Hollis in attendance and many of our soul brothers and sisters beaming like a ray of sunshine, Max was surely proud of us all. Special thanks must go out to Tony Foley , Steve Bowles,and Avon Hordern and the Wolves Civic Society for all their hardwork over the past two years. Also to Neil Rushton for all he does in keeping the faith of the northern soul scene. On a finishing note it was really great to DJ once again with my old mate Rob Haigh after some 30 years, and some great times at the town halls, the Whittamere and so forth. Look forward to being with you all at the Cats reunion next year.

AS WITH SO MANY OTHERS PAT & I CAN ONLY ECHO THE SENTIMENTS THAT WERE FELT ON THIS GREAT NIGHT. HAVING THE CHANCE TO PLAY A FEW OLD CAT 'S SOUNDS ON A NIGHT DEDICATED NOT ONLY TO THE "GREATEST LITTLE SOUL CLUB IN THE LAND" ....AND IT REALLY WAS, BUT ALSO TO ONE OF THE GREATEST SOUL BROTHERS I HAVE KNOWN AND BEEN PRIVILEGED TO CALL A MATE GAVE US A PLEASURE THAT WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS. I HAVE VISITED MANY SOUL VENUES IN MY MANY YEARS, AND HAVE MET MANY PEOPLE I CALL FRIENDS

BUT THE TWO THINGS TO WHICH THIS NIGHT WAS DEDICATED.....THE MEMORIES OF MAX & THE CAT'S WILL ALWAYS BE TOP OF THE LIST

ALAN & PAT CARTER

Edited by Pat