2010-08-28: Lifeline Real Deal Rare Soul All-Nighter

• Replies 133
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well where do i start, once again it was a TOTAL TRIUMPH for those of us who have the "ear", and the desire to be fed a diet of the best of the rare soul genre.

All night the musical quality was a relentless stream of wonderous tunes, and for me the ultimate portrayal of just how special this event is, was that each DJ in turn took on the previous ones tunes and responded in the same manner. This scene with dinasaurs who close ranks rather than get inspired to better things, hold on what am i saying, you should never have that extra bit in the tank, every single spot should be the best you can do....maybe this seems alien to some, may i suggest if thats so step aside and let those who can do it!

Karl Herd for me played the best spot ive heard him ever do, a more soulful and from our true roots selection. Butch follows with an amazing set, it just left me feeling satisfied and vindicated, that "proper" dj'ing, and that was the themefor all night, with wonderful old faves, first time hears, and top drawer biggies, i came home very happy, not a reaction you get from lots of events , sadly lacking the desire and intention to push things ever forward. Thats fine there are ample nights to please every level of standards, this for me is what does it for me. Like minded and passionate people, with always new faces, some who are not able to grasp it might go away and try again further up the curve, it takes the capability to see the intent and rout the night takes to fully understand, it will come to many in time, its a great ride to be on board, believe me.

Cant wait til next time, keep the dream alive, you guys are the future for the hard core fans

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ph

I have to agree with everything Harpo said. A fantastic night once again!

Didn't get there until about 1.30am due to duties elsewhere but walked in to a packed dance floor and a fantastic atmosphere! That is what I love about this place, it always deliver in the areas that count.

Thought our Karl was tops, as was Mick.

Can't believe it is two whole months until the next one, but the wait is well worth it.

Well done guys, incredible stuff :hatsoff2:

fantastic night, if I don't say so myself :hatsoff2: August often a quiet month, holidays, kids etc but we had an almost full house. Thanks to everyone who came along and made it such a great night. Thanks to our guests Kev Murphy and Karl Heard, great sets from them and from all the DJ's IMO with a fair few first time outings for some of the records, some corkers too, especially the Secret Sound Sam played :wicked:

See you all in October with special guest Arthur Fenn and Eddie Hubbard spoinning some in the first hour thumbup.gif

Guest rosemary

First time for me at Lifeline and wow!!!

an excellent venue, packed out, lots of dancers, and most of all I heard some great musicthumbsup.gif

It's the first time I've stayed at an allnighter til the end:yes:

I loved our parking space inside a barn:smile:....... and the sand:D

thank you to my three Yorkshire men who brought me........

I will be back........

Rosemary x

Really great night again , from Kev playing both sides of The Inticers on Baby Luv through Butch's ever inspiring playlists , Karls amazing funk edged gritty sides , and top notch rare soul waxings from Mick , Andy , Chalky and Cliff , this was a hellava occasion .Great to see so many friends to share the night with , really good to meet Tony and his good lady all the way from Aberdeen for the first time .Look forward to spinning a few sides in October .......Many thanks guys ,Eddie

We had a goodnight as well,got quite a shock when I looked at my watch,5.30,the time flew by,thats asign you've had good time.

Karl,played a blinding set at Barnsley as well,he is top form at the moment.:wicked:

Thanks to all concerned.

Kev.:hatsoff2:

kev im sorry if i walked passed & didn't recognise you laugh.gif

Guest roger H

What a great night again !!!!!! and again a top spot from Karl Heard.....awesome, a

had a great time with the lads and lasses, great to see coggy and Jan, kit and willie, and to the usual suspect shorny looking forward to the next get together

Roger H

:lol::yes: BLOODY ELL,WOT DAY IZ IT....JUST DUN ANUTHER STINT DOWN ME CELLAR,PHEW,MURDER,AFTER

LIFELINE ASWELL SAT,,GOD NO,S WEER SUN,FINISHED UP AT THE CELLAR..

ANYWAY LIFE-LINE ENJOYED IT GREAT DANCE FLOOR "CAN HIT THEM SPINS WIV AVENGENCE",,think ive pulled me spine AHHRTT ,,jesus...

MUSIC ENJOYED IT BUT SUM OV THE MODERN? STUFF HARD WORK,trust me i.ll dance to any=ting..BUT THATS PROGRESS..

GOOD ATMOSPHERE,FRIENDLY FOLK,AN SUM GUD MOOVERS..

BEER,?? WOT THE F.......K WOZ THAT..LAGER "MY ARSE" CIDER AND THEN SUM..........TIPPED BETTER DAHRRN ME

DRAIN.....REMEBER, I USED TO OWN A BOOOOZER,,,,IT NOWT TO DO WITH ANY=TING ELSE(wot ya meen burt) WHY IM DIE=ING WIV ME BOTTY STUK IN THE JOHN FOR THE LAST HOUR.......ITS BLOODY LAAAAARGGGEEERRRRR....

SOS GOT TO GO TO SEE "SCOOBY DOO""

OHH BY THE WAY GREAT SPOTS FROM ALL THE JOKS,,ENJOYED EM REALLY......WELDONE..:huh:

MOVE DOG IM CUMMIN THROOOOOOOOOOOO................BURT..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:hatsoff2: .

Fantastic night all round musically and socially. Heard some awesome new tunes, but thats what its all about at Lifeline. You always learn about something new, there's definitely nowhere else quite like it to listen to the quality on offer.

Enjoyed the good company of mates we haven't seen for a while, you know who you are. We will look forward to doing it all again in the very near future :lol: (maybe Oct').

Best

Molly & Lorraine

P.S. Can anyone remember the uptempo, feel good, 70's dancer with a funky edge that Butch played in the last half hour of his set. Forgot to go and ask him :yes: It was absolutely awesome... Doh!

Post on behalf of Smoothie.

Unacustomed to this type of communication as I am, I feel duty bound to send this message.

I would like to give a massive heads up and pat on the back to a section of allnighter people who attended both Lutterworth and Lifeline.

As everybody knows unfortunately parts of the scene have become a trifle petty and dare I say childish and vindictive at times. But last night at Lutterworth and Lifeline, the good people who still attend made both nights special for me.

On a personal note I'd like to thank the Big Jock and Karen at Lutterworth for their kind words and genuine concern. And Molly for his excellent set (I taught him everything he knows), and everyone who attended.

Off to Lifeline now with Lollypop Pete at the wheel and his new Lady friend Emi, Molly and Lorraine. "Just as well Molly is a better DJ than he is a route planner", he sent us well off the Billy Butler....

I know it's called the Stables, but I didn't realise we'd have to park in one ! Having recently had a brief rest from Soul do's , and the same goes for Molly & Lorraine. It was wonderful to see old and valued friends again. After 35 years it is nice to know that my friends have still kept that special bond thats been their from the start. Also a big heads up to Mick 'H' for playing Jimmy 'Bo' Horne - "I just can't speak", that gives me the same feeling that makes me love the music year after year.

On a lighter side Fudge gis a cuddle ?, Red ask me a question ?, Big Mark keep your eye on your jacket, Purdy thanks for your patience. And a Big thanks to Molly, Lorraine and Robbie for being old school, and always at the end of the phone.

Smoothie (Sharp dress, sharp mind)

Guest BigPaul

Top, top Nite, Yet againthumbsup.gif

Top toons and people:hatsoff2:

Big thanx to me buddy young Kev for the ride and his companythumbsup.gif

Journey back to Mansfield only seemed to take a couple of minuteswhistling

Roll on Oct 30th

Best

Paul

Guest BigPaul

Top, top Nite, Yet againthumbsup.gif

Top toons and peoplehatsoff2.gif

Big thanx to me buddy young Kev for the ride and his companythumbsup.gif

Journey back to Mansfield only seemed to take a couple of minuteswhistling.gif

Roll on Oct 30th

Best

Paul

Guest soulmaguk

Great night, love it, just paying homage to the best soul records on the planet so far. You know its good when you see Butch, Sam and Mick H all stood behind the decks together with vinyl in their hands.

Top Bollox.

Jock.

The Lifeline vibe continues.Great night from Kev Murphy thru to Rob Smith.Terry the birthday boy was in a good mood.

Had a right good dance,till my back started playing up again.

Had lots of people in my sights regarding a "chat" - if i missed you,,,till next time.biggrin.gif .

Must mention my travelling companion,Big Paul.Top company on the way back.:yes: .Time flew........couldn't get a word in......:D

Guest souldjer 1

THAT WAS SUPERB.WELL WORTH THE 600 MILES ROUND TRIP.

DRIVING BACK TO PLYMOUTH WAS A DODDLE.

GREAT TO MEET UP WITH YOU ALL , GREAT TO SEE CHRIS N LOU, LANNY.PETE "G".ROBBIE N ROSE.ROLL ON OCTOBER.

THE MUSIC WAS SSSOOOO EDUCATIONAL......THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED

DEANO N YVETTE.

Guest karen b

P.S. Can anyone remember the uptempo, feel good, 70's dancer with a funky edge that Butch played in the last half hour of his set. Forgot to go and ask him :yes: It was absolutely awesome... Doh!

Really great night again , from Kev playing both sides of The Inticers on Baby Luv through Butch's ever inspiring playlists , Karls amazing funk edged gritty sides , and top notch rare soul waxings from Mick , Andy , Chalky and Cliff , this was a hellava occasion .Great to see so many friends to share the night with , really good to meet Tony and his good lady all the way from Aberdeen for the first time .Look forward to spinning a few sides in October .......Many thanks guys ,Eddie

Eddie great to meet you, had an absolute ball at lifeline, words just cant describe what kind of allnighter for me it was, my first lifeline was at bidds, which made me want to visit the stables, and boy I was blown away again, Grace had her first visit to lifeline shes kinda new to the soul scene, told her she would love it, she summed it up at 7.05 in the morning when we left the venue asking "why have I not been here before and when are we coming back" the music the people the venue it has it all. Thanks again to all for the hospitality shown and the immense tunes, special thanks to Will West for being great company all night, see you all soon thats a given

Tony&Grace

The Lifeline vibe continues.Great night from Kev Murphy thru to Rob Smith.Terry the birthday boy was in a good mood.

Had a right good dance,till my back started playing up again.

Had lots of people in my sights regarding a "chat" - if i missed you,,,till next time.:D .

Must mention my travelling companion,Big Paul.Top company on the way back.thumbsup.gif .Time flew........couldn't get a word in......:lol:

Now now Kev, that is a bit hard to believe :yes::D :D :yes:.

Another great night at Lifeline again, was there from the off til the last record and I must say all the dj's played some fantastic tunes, brilliant sets with a of a good mix of music to please everyone:thumbsup: :.

Had some great laughs with friends old and new, especially Tony & Grace who travelled all the way down from Aberdeen.

Well done everyone:hatsoff2: .

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Guest Garry-C

Superb night as always and with Karl on top form as well. Brilliant friendly soul folk and all only 3 miles from my home, can't top it.

Thanks to all involved and will see you in 2 months.

Garry C

P.S. Can anyone remember the uptempo, feel good, 70's dancer with a funky edge that Butch played in the last half hour of his set. Forgot to go and ask him :) It was absolutely awesome... Doh!

Asked Arthur about it four tracks later and think he said by Boulevard Molly.

Think he said Butch got it from Sam?

Was indeed a great night.

Take care,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Many thanks

Molly

Guest Northern PhanTom

Post on behalf of Smoothie.

Unacustomed to this type of communication as I am, I feel duty bound to send this message.

I would like to give a massive heads up and pat on the back to a section of allnighter people who attended both Lutterworth and Lifeline.

As everybody knows unfortunately parts of the scene have become a trifle petty and dare I say childish and vindictive at times. But last night at Lutterworth and Lifeline, the good people who still attend made both nights special for me.

On a personal note I'd like to thank the Big Jock and Karen at Lutterworth for their kind words and genuine concern. And Molly for his excellent set (I taught him everything he knows), and everyone who attended.

Off to Lifeline now with Lollypop Pete at the wheel and his new Lady friend Emi, Molly and Lorraine. "Just as well Molly is a better DJ than he is a route planner", he sent us well off the Billy Butler....

I know it's called the Stables, but I didn't realise we'd have to park in one ! Having recently had a brief rest from Soul do's , and the same goes for Molly & Lorraine. It was wonderful to see old and valued friends again. After 35 years it is nice to know that my friends have still kept that special bond thats been their from the start. Also a big heads up to Mick 'H' for playing Jimmy 'Bo' Horne - "I just can't speak", that gives me the same feeling that makes me love the music year after year.

On a lighter side Fudge gis a cuddle ?, Red ask me a question ?, Big Mark keep your eye on your jacket, Purdy thanks for your patience. And a Big thanks to Molly, Lorraine and Robbie for being old school, and always at the end of the phone.

Smoothie (Sharp dress, sharp mind)

Smoothie, thank you for your kind comments about Sonic Soul posted via Molly. :lol:

When we decided to continue Sonic Soul this year old school mate & Lifeliner Mick H (Top Bloke That He Is) :D offered to help us out by becoming a resident and DJing at several of the nights this year. Me trying to be clever I thought it would be better for him if we were on the same night as Lifeline so he could DJ at Lutterworth on route. Not realising he had to be there early to help set up the kit, this backfired on me and we lost his talents for the nights in question. :(

But where we lost Mick's DJing talents we have gained by having some smashing soulies call in on their way to Lifeline and contribute immensely to us having a cracking night at Lutterworth. Always up for a natter and a dance and Saturday was no exception with probably a couple of dozen that headed off up the M6, :lol: but how they could get lost is beyond me. :rolleyes:

On a personal note due to illness, operations and other commitments the last time Therese and I made it to Lifeline was when it was at The Fox so noting that just a small percentage that attend Lifeline can influence a soul night a trip to The Stables is at the top of the agenda, to see what I've been missing out on since the days of the AI venue. :yes:

Regards

Tom wink.gif

PS. Chalky hope you don't mind me posting this on The Lifeline thread but I do feel it is topical. :)

Edited by Northern PhanTom

top night , great company, really happy to have heard black sugar, missed kev,s spot ,chalky got the ball rolling again ,its always great to hear something you want to dance to as soon as you get in the door. Trouble was i was absolutely knackered by six. sat the last hour out like a kid at the baths with a verooka.Sorry to dave and debs for the erratic drivin on the way down, you know somethings not quite right when all conversation in the car stops. then realise its because your driving lie a t***.should probably apologise for the missus attempting to inform any passer by that she s got a new car.its not the subject that bothers me , its the details that get on my nerves,know what i mean?