Record Hunting In Houston Texas

NOT LONG BEFORE BACK OVER FOLKS -just heard were taking in a football game in Houston so makes sense to have a look about etc,never been to the city and hear good things-any help re record contacts would be most appreciated-just drop me a PM or links on the thread!!

After the usual sweet-deep-funk-gospel -northern -etc [owt interesting folks lol!!!

Thanks in advance folks

BAZ A

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest POTTERIESPECK

very quiet but still optimistic lol-just drop me a line folks or post up -early doors yet!!

BAZ A.

Don't know if tis will be any help Baz, but here's a list of a few in Houston.

Edited by POTTERIESPECK
Social source share

NOT LONG BEFORE BACK OVER FOLKS -just heard were taking in a football game in Houston so makes sense to have a look about etc,never been to the city and hear good things-any help re record contacts would be most appreciated-just drop me a PM or links on the thread!!

After the usual sweet-deep-funk-gospel -northern -etc [owt interesting folks lol!!!

Thanks in advance folks

BAZ A

Hi Baz

Didn't do any record shops when I was there but if you are staying over it might be worth checking out the Shakespear Pub - great Blues club - had a great night in there - lots of different beers and live Blues/Zydeco. Oscar Perry use to play there.

Lofty

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

ah thanks mick hope your well mate!!

BAZ A

Hi Baz

Didn't do any record shops when I was there but if you are staying over it might be worth checking out the Shakespear Pub - great Blues club - had a great night in there - lots of different beers and live Blues/Zydeco. Oscar Perry use to play there.

Lofty

Social source share

I was in Houston a few years back and found a second hand record shop on the way to the Galleria. It also doubled up as a tatto parlour next door. I had a word with the guy in the shop who told me he wasn't the owner , but the guy who was had a garage full of records. I will look around to see if i can find you the adress somewhere and will get back tp you. I bought quite a few by O V Wright there.

Social source share

I was in Houston a few years back and found a second hand record shop on the way to the Galleria. It also doubled up as a tatto parlour next door. I had a word with the guy in the shop who told me he wasn't the owner , but the guy who was had a garage full of records. I will look around to see if i can find you the adress somewhere and will get back tp you. I bought quite a few by O V Wright there.

Try and get to see Skipper Lee Frazier, Baz (if he's still alive).

https://skipperlee.com/

He was a major promoter and DJ in Houston, and has lots of stories to tell (and a book about Archie Bell and the Drells to flog).

He runs (or ran - I was there five years ago) a funeral parlour. Nice old geezer, bit suspicious at first but he let me attend a gospel funeral, which was a real experience, and then drove me to his house in his big SUV. The only problem with that was he lives/lived in a very poor neighbourhood, he only drove at about 10mph and he kept falling asleep at traffic lights; I got a bit nervous at the attention we were attracting.

He sold me quite a lot of stuff out of the attic above his garage, inc quite a few things I had never seen or heard before, and there was a lot left. He also pointed me in the direction of a white record dealer who had two rooms full of stuff; again, I bought some bits but only got there on the day my flight left so I didn't have time to go through.

I did all the record stores and obvious places and found nothing at all; I did a few yard sales and swap meets and stuff and got a few things on Sure Shot, Ovide (Skipper's ;abel, named after his son) and other locals, but nothing spectacular.

Best of luck!

Social source share

ah thanks for that mate!!

BAZ A

Social source share

AH WONDERFUL THANKS MATE!!

BAZ A

Try and get to see Skipper Lee Frazier, Baz (if he's still alive).

https://skipperlee.com/

He was a major promoter and DJ in Houston, and has lots of stories to tell (and a book about Archie Bell and the Drells to flog).

He runs (or ran - I was there five years ago) a funeral parlour. Nice old geezer, bit suspicious at first but he let me attend a gospel funeral, which was a real experience, and then drove me to his house in his big SUV. The only problem with that was he lives/lived in a very poor neighbourhood, he only drove at about 10mph and he kept falling asleep at traffic lights; I got a bit nervous at the attention we were attracting.

He sold me quite a lot of stuff out of the attic above his garage, inc quite a few things I had never seen or heard before, and there was a lot left. He also pointed me in the direction of a white record dealer who had two rooms full of stuff; again, I bought some bits but only got there on the day my flight left so I didn't have time to go through.

I did all the record stores and obvious places and found nothing at all; I did a few yard sales and swap meets and stuff and got a few things on Sure Shot, Ovide (Skipper's ;abel, named after his son) and other locals, but nothing spectacular.

Best of luck!

Social source share

Sorry could not find the adress for that second hand store . If you stood outside the Galleria which is a shopping mall you go left on Westheimer rd which is also called Farmer to market rd. You just followed this road for about three miles where you came to some shops that sold like upmarket second hand clothes that young trendys liked to shop in. It was near to these. Sorry couldn't be much more specific.

Social source share

ah thanks for that !!

Sorry could not find the adress for that second hand store . If you stood outside the Galleria which is a shopping mall you go left on Westheimer rd which is also called Farmer to market rd. You just followed this road for about three miles where you came to some shops that sold like upmarket second hand clothes that young trendys liked to shop in. It was near to these. Sorry couldn't be much more specific.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!