Embers Watch Out Girl Issue

Ok, I had this conversation with a fellow collector about the gold blue issue once again!!!!

I firmly believe that it's an original from 1969!!!! The label design has been in use at least from early 1969 in the UK and the USA as the Bill Medley/ Barry Ryan With The Majority suggests...or are they boots/2nd issues ???? What do you think?????

Embers Watch Out Girl Released 1969...

l_b92f34e88df9d977327d3db926c8f1d3.jpg

Bill Medley This Is A Love Song MGM.... USA ISSUE!!!!!!

righteousbros402090.jpg

UK ISSUE Bill Medley This Is A Love Song MGM Release Date Mar 1969!!!!!!!!!

bill-medley-this-is-a-love-song-mgm.jpg

UK ISSUE Barry Ryan With The Majority Love Is Love Released Feb 1969!!!!!!!!!!!

barry-ryan-with-the-majority-love-is-love-mgm.jpg

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

They changed the "issue" label design from black to the blue gold swirl late on 68' but retained the yellow/black demo design (well nearly, its is a little different)

The issue you talk about is the real deal issue of the yellow/black demo and is far far rarer than the demo.

Had both of them, last year sold an issue for £280, yesterday sold a demo for £130.....both about spot on in terms of value i feel.

Social source share

They changed the "issue" label design from black to the blue gold swirl late on 68' but retained the yellow/black demo design (well nearly, its is a little different)

The issue you talk about is the real deal issue of the yellow/black demo and is far far rarer than the demo.

Had both of them, last year sold an issue for £280, yesterday sold a demo for £130.....both about spot on in terms of value i feel.

Cheers!!!! :lol:

Social source share

Embers on MGM.Release date would appear to be Sept 15th 1970.Demo copy for sale at www.chazesrecords.com.

Where do you get the release date from??? I only seem to find 1969 as a release date!

Does anybody got the The Mgm Labels: A Discography Volume 2 ???

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Interesting viphitman, where did you get that Embers 45?, that's definitely my old copy that I found on a rubbish heap with a load of other 45s in a cardboard box. Rescued it just before the JCB was gonna grab the box and put it in the skip:ohmy:!!!!

Anyway, Neal Bull from Peterborough got it off me in a trade about 10 years ago! I recognise the copy you've put up, I never forget records I've had :lol:

Social source share

Where do you get the release date from??? I only seem to find 1969 as a release date!

Does anybody got the The Mgm Labels: A Discography Volume 2 ???

the catalogue number tells you all you need to know. .i dated it to sept/oct 1970 without even seeing a date stamped copy. also look at the number below the main catalogue number. that tells you the year anyway. some people have said it exists on usa black stock but of course this is a lie

dave

Social source share

THINK YOU DID VERY WELL GETTIN 280 QUID FOR THE ISSUE, SEEN PLENTY OF THESE ABOUT AT A MORE REASONABLE £100 - £150 BRACKET AND EVEN CHEAPER ON THE EVIL BAY.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

According to the MGM listing in the US Stak-O-Wax catalogue the first release of 1969 was 14102, with 14217 the first in 1970.. This would put the Embers release (14167) as being sometime during 1969.

That listing is incorrect.

MGM 14164 (Hank Williams Jr. & Lois Johnson) was reviewed as a new release in the September 12, 1970 issue of Billboard.

The LP which included tracks from MGM 14166 (Bill Cowsill) was mentioned in the October 10, 1970 issue of Billboard.

MGM 14169 (Tompall & The Glaser Brothers) was advertised as a new release in the October 17, 1970 issue of Billboard.

Embers is MGM 14167 so should be from about that time as well.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

That listing is incorrect.

MGM 14164 (Hank Williams Jr. & Lois Johnson) was reviewed as a new release in the September 12, 1970 issue of Billboard.

The LP which included tracks from MGM 14166 (Bill Cowsill) was mentioned in the October 10, 1970 issue of Billboard.

MGM 14169 (Tompall & The Glaser Brothers) was advertised as a new release in the October 17, 1970 issue of Billboard.

Embers is MGM 14167 so should be from about that time as well.

I looked at it yesterday as well with Sheb Wooley I don't Belong in her arms K-14165 and Lloyd Green Release me K-14168 being released in Sep 1970.... But the band states it was a hit in North Carolina / Raleigh in 1969. :thumbsup:

Social source share

THINK YOU DID VERY WELL GETTIN 280 QUID FOR THE ISSUE, SEEN PLENTY OF THESE ABOUT AT A MORE REASONABLE £100 - £150 BRACKET AND EVEN CHEAPER ON THE EVIL BAY.

BRI PINCH

I never saw an issue until maybe 2000. After that, it was selling for 250 quid, last few years have seen more turn up and I'd say 150-175 for the issue now, 125 for the demo.

Social source share

Interesting viphitman, where did you get that Embers 45?, that's definitely my old copy that I found on a rubbish heap with a load of other 45s in a cardboard box. Rescued it just before the JCB was gonna grab the box and put it in the skip:ohmy:!!!!

Anyway, Neal Bull from Peterborough got it off me in a trade about 10 years ago! I recognise the copy you've put up, I never forget records I've had :boxing:

:yes: hmm....but I bought it around 1996 from Mick Smith for 60 squit. :thumbsup:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

I looked at it yesterday as well with Sheb Wooley I don't Belong in her arms K-14165 and Lloyd Green Release me K-14168 being released in Sep 1970.... But the band states it was a hit in North Carolina / Raleigh in 1969. :yes:

I THINK MAYBE AFTER 40 ODD YEARS BAND MEMBERS MEMORIES HAVE PROBABLY FADED A BIT.. CANT BEAT BOOKS MAGAZINES AND ACTUAL 45`S FOR PLACING AND DATING STUFFhatsoff2.gif

DAVE

Social source share

I never saw an issue until maybe 2000. After that, it was selling for 250 quid, last few years have seen more turn up and I'd say 150-175 for the issue now, 125 for the demo.

I`D AGREE WITH YOUR PRICING PETE AND YOU`RE CERTAINLY ONE OF THE CHEAPEST AROUND AS FAR AS DEALER PRICES ARE CONCERNED. BUT THERE ARE A COUPLE OR THREE SHOP COPIES ON POPSIKE AT £60/70 BUT THEN GOING UP TO £200. I SUPPOSE ITS ALL ABOUT BEING LUCKY ON THE DAY EHhatsoff2.gif

DAVE

Social source share

Anyway, Neal Bull from Peterborough got it off me in a trade about 10 years ago! I recognise the copy you've put up, I never forget records I've had :yes:

Yeah but it looks identical to two copies I've had as well, especially the first one!

Social source share

ohmy.gif hmm....but I bought it around 1996 from Mick Smith for 60 squit. :D

Yeah, that'd be about right mate. Neal Bull used to deal with Mick Smith quite a lot then, especially at the Norwich V.I.P record fairs which Mick has a regular stall on. Just done a recap in my head and it must have been about 14/15 years ago that I found it at my old King's Lynn Council depot (we're no longer there), Neal Bull got it off me after about a week of me having it. The Mick Smith connection really does convince me it was that copy.

But I don't suppose I can be 100% huh.gif

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

PERSONALLY, ALWAYS LIKED THIS... BUT IT'S BEEN A DEAD RECORD AS FAR BACK AS I CAN REMEMBER, CERTAINLY CAN'T RECALL HEARING IT OUT ANYWHERE.

BRI PINCH

My mate reckons their 'Where Did I Go Wrong' on Atlantic is doing the business at the moment??? Used to be £40 but he's saying £100 now!

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL...I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THIS & VERVE, ESPECIALLY THE DEMOS, AND THANK GOD THIS COME OUT IN THE OK ON THE PINK LABEL EVEN THEO THE ISSUE WAS ON THE NEW MGM, THIS DEMO MUST BE WORTH GETTING AS I HAVE HAD MANY ISSUE OVER THE YEARS BUT ONLY THIS 1 DEMO.WHATS IT WORTH? ISSUE IS ABOUT £15-20 GREAT RECORD :ohmy: DAVE KIL

post-13241-076325800 1279593252_thumb.jp

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THIS & VERVE, ESPECIALLY THE DEMOS, AND THANK GOD THIS COME OUT IN THE OK ON THE PINK LABEL EVEN THEO THE ISSUE WAS ON THE NEW MGM, THIS DEMO MUST BE WORTH GETTING AS I HAVE HAD MANY ISSUE OVER THE YEARS BUT ONLY THIS 1 DEMO.WHATS IT WORTH? ISSUE IS ABOUT £15-20 GREAT RECORD :thumbsup: DAVE KIL

post-13241-076325800 1279593252_thumb.jp

Sold one last year for £40.

On the Embers theem I sold my Watch out girl demo in 1979 for £60 and the label was bit suspect.

The record was huge then and I always thought it was a 66-68 beach record!

Social source share

On the Embers theem I sold my Watch out girl demo in 1979 for £60 and the label was bit suspect.

Certainly a beach record the O'Kaysions also recorded on Cotillion.

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI THATS PROBABLY RIGHT! £40+ WHY IS IT SO CHEAP? AS IT IS A HARD DEMO TO LOCATE AND A QUICK SELLER, SOMETIMES i JUST DON'T GET IT! ESPECIALLY WHEN i SEE A CRAP RECORD SELL FOR DOUBLE THAT, BECAUSE IT'S IN DEMAND, AND NO OTHER REASON?:lol: Dave Kii

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!