Record Of The Decade......so Far

Half way through the decade & I'd be interested to know the best new rare soul discovery 2000-2005. Appreciate it if peoplw could stick in nominations AND sound files.

Plan is get to 10 nominations then organise a poll.

My favourite is Stormy Winters - Life Saver, but as luck would have it dont have an mp3 to stick up. Can anybody oblige?

So I'm going to put up Mill Evans - Aint You Glad, which was I think a new release for Kent 2001 (6Ts anniv single)

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Half way through the decade & I'd be interested to know the best new rare soul discovery 2000-2005. Appreciate it if peoplw could stick in nominations AND sound files.

My favourite is Stormy Winters - Life Saver, but as luck would have it dont have an mp3 to stick up.  Can anybody oblige?

So I'm going to put up Mill Evans - Aint You Glad, which was I think a new release for Kent 2001 (6Ts anniv single)

Col.

link

My fave is Margaret Little " Love finds a way " [ sorry haven't got a sound file ] Best ,Eddie .

Social source share

Just had my mate, Simpon (Rids) on the phone. He can't post as he has some computer phobia.

But his nominations were:

Ben E King - Getting To Me

Danny Cobus - And the 2 of us.

I've never heard of Danny Cobus, I hope he's not pulling my leg whistling.gif

Col.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Just had my mate, Simpon (Rids) on the phone. He can't post as he has some computer phobia.

But his nominations were:

Ben E King - Getting To Me

Danny Cobus - And the 2 of us.

I've never heard of Danny Cobus, I hope he's not pulling my leg  whistling.gif

Col.

link

danny cobus is the dave hamilton thing innit? cd only i think too?

shane

Social source share

Another Butch spin, well Andy Dyson discovery is the Rita & Tiaras cover up "Gonna Walk Out Of Your Life" and the Belita Woods cover up.

link

What a tune, I remember the first time I heard this... WOW, still does it for me, also Butchs JJ Jackson c/up 'Cant get Too Much Loving' real title / artist still not known by the majority :huh:

cheers whistling.gif

Paul

Social source share

What a tune, I remember the first time I heard this... WOW, still does it for me, also Butchs JJ Jackson c/up 'Cant get Too Much Loving' real title / artist still not known by the majority :huh:

cheers whistling.gif

Paul

link

JJ Jackson been played for at least 10 years. Certainly lot longer than 5.

Social source share

danny cobus is the dave hamilton thing innit? cd only i think too?

shane

link

The one with (done to death) Dottie & Millie track on it. Like the man said, Diddy Dave Hamilton's Detroit Dancers.

ps, not so many sound files yet then Col eh whistling.gif

Social source share

Norris Vines

Papa Bear & Cubs

Jerry Washington

Benny Harper

a couple that aren't too well known I think..

Ellipsis

2001 Black Essence

and lastly

Margaret Little - not a record I'm particularly fond of, but seems to have made major impact on the scene despite being pretty dull in my opinion

whistling.gif

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Come on guys we need a few more mp3s stuck up.

I do appreciate some tracks are not in the public domain,

so lets just post whats available.

I'd like to see what your average soulies favourite tune is from the past 5 years.

col.

link

Is this about faves or new discoveries? Way I read first post it was discoveries over the last 5 years whistling.gif

Social source share

oh what about Jackson Brothers on Providence? love this, and don't think it's been about long..

Also on the modern scene..

Noah

Klas

Coco & Ben (not sure when this was introduced)

link

as far as I'm aware the Jackson Brothers got spins as far back as Stafford. been about some years.

Social source share

Don't think so. Norris Vines is last 5 years max. If Girth is reading maybe he'll confirm.

Thought Papa Bear was an iffy one... I know it's only been in the limelight over last year or so, and until now seemed unknown & therefore recent discovery, hense me suggesting it.

No bother though... what you think about the others?

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

as far as I'm aware the Jackson Brothers got spins as far back as Stafford.  been about some years.

link

oh, I'm surprised. Bloody brilliant record in my humble opinion, haven't got round to buying one just yet. Heard for the first time on a CD Hippo did forme about 4 months ago.

Social source share

Don't think so. Norris Vines is last 5 years max. If Girth is reading maybe he'll confirm.

Thought Papa Bear was an iffy one... I know it's only been in the limelight over last year or so, and until now seemed unknown & therefore recent discovery, hense me suggesting it.

No bother though... what you think about the others?

link

Pretty sure Norris Vines lot longer than 5 years. Papa Bear been known about some years so therefore not a recent discovery...maybe to you. As for others probably been known about but not had the exposure, same as a lot of stuff...doesn't make them recent discoveries though does it. I mean someone new to the scene most records will be new discoveries whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Norris Vines

Papa Bear & Cubs

Jerry Washington

Benny Harper

Ellipsis

2001 Black Essence

and lastly

Margaret Little - not a record I'm particularly fond of, but seems to have made major impact on the scene despite being pretty dull in my opinion

:)

link

Norris Vines - been around for more than 5 years at least although only mega popliar recently whistling.gif:(:huh:

Papa Bear & Cubs - again been around a while only recently gone top of the pops for mad money honey :D

Jerry Washington - Been around for an age deary laugh.gif

Benny Harper - what does this go like again???

Ellipsis - You think wrong :D

2001 Black Essence - You don't even think at all huh.gif:P

Trout out

Anyone for the Orwell tomorrow??

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Personally the record of recent times would probably have to be something like Rhythm Machine or Trace of Smoke or Soul Inc - My Proposal or one of those tricky new jobbies or sumat

Social source share

A couple that aren't too well known I think..

Ellipsis - You think wrong  :)

2001 Black Essence - You don't even think at all  whistling.gif   :huh:

Trout out

link

By unknown I meant unknown to the everyday soul fan. It's a personal fave of mine and I know the Japs are on their knees for it, but haven't spoke or played it to one person who knows it yes.

Same with Black Essence; I know it's known to the modern soul crowd, but seems no-one knows it on the Northern scene.

I've decided not to post in this top anymore as I can't do so without being made fun of sad.gif I'm an idiot....Ok a bloody idiot but I think what I think and like a fart in a church the words just come out huh.gif

Social source share

Guest uroffal

as far as I'm aware the Jackson Brothers got spins as far back as Stafford.  been about some years.

link

Was originally a Dean Anderson spin I think (covered as Rufus Lumley) and was then picked up by Keb - first played around '83/'84

Social source share

JJ Jackson been played for at least 10 years.  Certainly lot longer than 5.

link

You're not wrong fella!

Am sat here now listening to a tape with Butch DJing live at Droylesden allnighter ........ and he plays JJ Jackson

THE DATE: 1990 whistling.gif

Don't know about you Chalky ....... but i felt loads better when i was thinking it was 5 maybe 10 years ago than i do now ....... KNOWING FOR SURE IT WAS AT LEAST 15 !!

Oh... and i can also remember hearing the Jackson Bros being played at Stafford .....

Social source share

Guest remus

My favourite is Stormy Winters - Life Saver, but as luck would have it dont have an mp3 to stick up.  Can anybody oblige?

Col.

link

Just Brothers "Go on and laugh", longer than 5years ago but still nothing tops it for me!......apart from a Johnny Nash LP track "Very special girl" that I just picked up for 2 quid at the market!

Social source share

Guest remus

Come on guys we need a few more mp3s stuck up.

I do appreciate some tracks are not in the public domain,

so lets just post whats available.

I'd like to see what your average soulies favourite tune is from the past 5 years.

col.

link

If I had the techo I would put up j.j.jackson etc..........but I don't! whistling.gif

Social source share

oh what about Jackson Brothers on Providence? love this, and don't think it's been about long..

Noah

Klas

link

BTB

CoCo & Ben - big spin for Arfa and Sam in the early 80's at all the niters back then.

Social source share

Just to clarify.

What I'm looking for is the nominations for the best records that started to get heard at dos by your average soulie from 2000 onward.

Because a tape or acetate existed before 2000 & was heard by half a dozen people shouldn't stop that record from going into the poll.

Col.

Social source share

Guest dodger

Noah

Klas

link

Which 'modern scene' are you referring to??????? whistling.gif The one in 1980? whistling.gif

Edited by dodger
Social source share

If I had the techo I would put up j.j.jackson etc..........but I don't! whistling.gif

link

If you've got it on disc, stick it in the post & I'll take care of it for you whistling.gif

Anyone got the Margaret Little MP3? I thought it had already been posted to site.

But I can't find it.

Col.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Soul Inc - My Proposal

link

Is that less than 5 years old? It seems to have been around for ages. Top top tune mind.

Margaret little would defo get my vote.

If you stretch the dates ever so slightly - Little Ann

And, at the time, Joey Delorenzo split the scene right down the middle. Love it or hate it, everyone had an opinion. Which in my book makes it worth at least a mention.

I love it BTW whistling.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Trace Of Smoke made waves on the funk and soul scenes. Oh and a local trendy bar in Chelmsford as well. The Chavs loved it! :thumbsup:

Tickled Pink "Reach Out (and Give Me Your Hand)" on Pink Knip is awesome and up there along side any of Butch's fancy cover ups and just as rare. It may have been 'discovered' in 1999 though, althoguh pretty sure it was after the turn of the century.

Rokk "Patience" has to be up there.

Two Plus Two? It's a bit too good for wide spread apeal though, i would guess. whistling.gif

Reginald Milton "Clap Your Hands"

Hamilton Movement? I think it's kind of fizzled out though and it's life will be limited so probably shouldn't be up there. whistling.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Noah

Klas

link

Wasn't Jackson Bros on a Kent compilation LP in the 80s? That New York one.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Just Brothers "Go on and laugh", longer than 5years ago but still nothing tops it for me!......apart from a Johnny Nash LP track "Very special girl" that I just picked up for 2 quid at the market!

link

Think Just Brothers been around from early 80's....John Vincent had it first I think off John Anderson(?) he did tell the story on here once, offered it to Searling who gave it back sying too good for Northern Scene (at the time I presume) whistling.gif Maybe he read this and tell it again whistling.gif

Social source share

You're not wrong fella!

Am sat here now listening to a tape with Butch DJing live at Droylesden allnighter ........ and he plays JJ Jackson

THE DATE:          1990      :thumbsup:

Don't know about you Chalky ....... but i felt loads better when i was thinking it was  5 maybe 10 years ago than i do now ....... KNOWING FOR SURE IT WAS AT LEAST 15 !!

Oh... and i can also remember hearing the Jackson Bros being played at Stafford .....

link

my memory fading too quickly Joan whistling.gif Quality nighter them Droylsden ones whistling.gif

Social source share

Some of the best for me:

Benny Harper - My prayer - Harper soul, >>>click to listen<<< - Not really a recent discovery, was found 18 years ago or so, according to Butch... Don't know how much it was played back then, fairly unknown until now so quite relevant to the topic. Totally blew my mind when I heard it for the first time two years ago.

Masqueraders - Good news - unissued

Two Plus Two - I'm sure - Velgo

-There's a link to a sound file somewhere on the forum, mean & moody Detroit soul, just the way I like it)

I also like Brenda Holloway's "Crying time" and Butch's new Masqueraders c/up ain't too bad either!

Social source share

Personally the record of recent times would probably have to be something like Rhythm Machine or Trace of Smoke or Soul Inc - My Proposal or one of those tricky new jobbies or sumat

link

Is that less than 5 years old? It seems to have been around for ages. Top top tune mind.

link

Big early 90's spin for Rob Marriott.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!