2010-09-24: Gloucester Allnighter

Mike as you know I cant make it this time but will see you at the next one I'm truly gutted I cant make it as I'm at the Woolacombe scooter weekender, so I thought I would say have a great night which you will as the Dj line is one of the finest I've seen.

Make sure you listen to Paul Vann if Ted plays it, in fact ask him to play it I'm sure he'll have it with him.

See you soon ATB Darren.

Edited by BROWNIE
  • Replies 94
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mike as you know I cant make it this time but will see you at the next one I'm truly gutted I cant make it as I'm at the Woolacombe scooter weekender, so I thought I would say have a great night which you will as the Dj line is one of the finest I've seen.

Make sure you listen to Paul Vann if Ted plays it, in fact ask him to play it I'm sure he'll have it with him.

See you soon ATB Darren.

Darren, Thanks for the kind wishes agree re the line up and shame you cannot be there but have a good one at Woolacombe. Must make sure I am in the room when Ted plays that, also the Inspirations.

see you soon.

Mike

Edited by Mike E
Guest wazzette

long day tomorrow 7.30 down m4 to bristol 5.30 back up m4 home unload car, pick up the gang back on m4 m5 to the allnighter hard but definately be there just cant miss this

wazz.

long day tomorrow 7.30 down m4 to bristol 5.30 back up m4 home unload car, pick up the gang back on m4 m5 to the allnighter hard but definately be there just cant miss this

wazz.

Wazz

Good man and all the DJ team will make sure its well worth it. Safe Journey and see you tomorrow.

Mike

Guest in town Mikey

See you soon ATB Darren.

Ted kindly did a CD for me with this on. I concur its a belter.

I'm also hopeful he plays Irma Routen - I Will Sacrifice. A new one on me that I instantly loved. :lol:

Guest in town Mikey

let me know if he does :thumbup:

I dont think he did Dave. But it was still a great spot non the less.

Really enjoyed both rooms. Some great tracks played in both. I think the scooter rally may have kept a few away, but still a very good crowd made the night.

Great to finally meet Wiganner1, and to catch up with some mates....and Fudge :lol:

Guest Glawster

Where to start?

We arrived around 8.15pm and Sue got set up on the door , I did a mooch and a few hellos to Mike,Pete and Des,few punters were already in!!

Marked our territory with my coat and scarf and set off with the camera. As per usual a steady stream of hugs and hellos ensued and I'd like to say a great big thanks to everyone who asked how my health was.

This time I managed to spend a lot more time upstairs and what a superb room,top quality DJs and chooooons with a bar,record sellers , comfy seats and also accesible via a lift which allowed our intrepid guy who had just had an hip op to get up there too!

The main room was kept going all night and early morning by all the DJs playing a great mix of choons.:thumbup:

Not being able to be in 2 places at once is difficult but for me whichever room you chose to be in,it never dissapointed.

A thank you has to go out to all the staff at the venue too,notably Graham(commitee man) whom tirelessly whizzed around checking things were in order without being intrusive and jobsworthy(we've all met the types!)

Anyway Sue came off the door around 1 and joined me upstairs to listen to some quality chooonage and partake in a beef and onion roll(other refreshments akll reasonably priced were available!) Wasnt long before she hightailed it into the mainroom and hit the dancefloor,thanks to Sarah for keeping an eye on our base camp,which gave us a pew for inbetween shuffling(in my case) on the dancefloor.

We left around 4.30am as we had a friends wedding to attend Saturday morning, how inconsiderate getting married the morning of a nighter lol!

Pics will be sorted soon,roll on the next nighter.Plenty of other events on inc Woolacombe scooter rally,Skeggy weekender and Burnley nighter , so in reflection this was a well supported event.

Great to meet up with Steve, Kerry,Mart,Bev,Irish,Ronnie,Jeff,Angela,Cathy and many many others.

I hope you all adhered to this sign up by the stage lol! - Great night and roll on the next one!

post-11061-096218200 1285497430_thumb.jp

I dont think he did Dave. But it was still a great spot non the less.

Really enjoyed both rooms. Some great tracks played in both. I think the scooter rally may have kept a few away, but still a very good crowd made the night.

Great to finally meet Wiganner1, and to catch up with some mates....and Fudge :thumbup:

Thanks for posting first Mikey. Paul Venn was played earlier on by Ted but not sure about the one above as was moving from room to room.

I would like to tank(yes , i am half Irish lol) all of those who came along on the night to support this allnighter. Whilst effected by the Scooter rally and other events occurring this weekend we still had 240 through the door. Great to see so many travellers from all over. The Plymouth gang were there in Force.

A big thanks to all of the DJ's for some great sets and for some of the extra work put in by people following the Mick H being not able to make the event due his train from Scotland being 3 hrs late. A big thanks to Sue Taylor on the door, the club staff, Pete French and Craig for the sound system in the main room, Cathy Lyster for the lollies and Des for looking after Room 2. .

Hope to see you all on the 26th November for the next one.

Mike

Edited by Mike E
Guest matt tees

Neil

Many thanks and hope to see you at the next Soulfusion.

regards

mike

Now Thats what I like promoters Neil Self Soulfusion ad Mike getting it together and supporting each other, what a great example to some promoters out there who defiantely do not do that!! Well done you two!!!!!

Another Barnstormer at Wotton Hall on Friday some truley amazing sets in both rooms by some top notch Jocks. The Big Room takes care of itself with a really up for it crowd!! Second Room I caught both Karl Heard and Pickles sets and both throughly enjoyed, thanks to Des for letting me double deck for 30 minutes, really enjoyed it and a really good buzz in this room. 240 for a Friday All Nighter is excellent. This is a cracking Do at a cracking venue! Already looking forward to Nov 26 for the next installment. Big well done to Mike and his excellent Team!!

Edited by matt tees

Thanks Mike.... I had a great night at Gloucester! :yes: I think it was 50-50 upstairs & down for me!! trouble is, whichever room you were in you knew you were missing quality tunes in the other!!!:ohmy: imo this was the best nighter so far for top notch sounds & Djs. fantastic :) I danced all night until the lights came on at 6.30am!

Lovely to see my old mate Irish there again and great catching up with all our regular soul buddies too. :lol:

It was also great to meet Wazz & Wazzette what lovely people you are

Waz did me a cd with my favourite (at the moment) tune on & the label scan on the cover! very thoughtful and good to know there are still real soulies on the scene. :huh: Thanks again.

see you at the next one Mike::yes:

Edited by bunty

Well done Mike, what a start to the weekend the Gloucester all-niter always is.

as I've said before you had the imagination to think about this night at this venue, and then you had the bollocks to put in on and make it happen, nice one !

great sound system too,

like Mart I find it hard to make sure I'm tracking what's played in the big room , as I want to hear what's being played upstairs....

.....so apologies if I slipped up and played anything that had already been on .

here's to the next one.

cathy joins in best wishes to everyone too! and I know angie had a great time [ what energy ! ]

pete

Guest Angela Lawrence

Great night Mike ticked all the boxes for me great choice of djs and especially the guys downstairs who gave us not only a great selection of classics as well as having the courage to take a few risks! Danced my feet off! The tunes that did it for me was firstly an acetate that Johnny Beggs played by the Malibus upstairs and Pete Lyster played an amazing tune Switch Around Wallie Hawkins & Rosemary McOy downstairs. God knows how many great records we miss running up and down stairs? Please Mr Eskins can we have them in the same room? xx

Guest souldjer 1

totally agree with what everybody has said...top nighter /djs /dancefloor/ friends and orginization.

so spoilt for choice with 2 rooms of top tunes/,djs..

well and truelly on the MAP AND EVERYBODYS DIARY FOR NEXT YEAR..

DEAN N YVETTE

Well Mike you did it again, another cracking nite at gloucester on friday, our car load went away totally fullfilled, you know what its like when travelling home from a niter people say it was a great nite but.......... no buts here mike excellent nite all nite

and meeting fellow soul sourcers from the south coast especially bunty & martin a very friendly pair.......bet you were sick of that track the time you got home lol

again thanks mike for playing that track "honey & wine loved it

lets do it all again in november

wazz & lorraine.

Great night Mike ticked all the boxes for me great choice of djs and especially the guys downstairs who gave us not only a great selection of classics as well as having the courage to take a few risks! Danced my feet off! The tunes that did it for me was firstly an acetate that Johnny Beggs played by the Malibus upstairs and Pete Lyster played an amazing tune Switch Around Wallie Hawkins & Rosemary McOy downstairs. God knows how many great records we miss running up and down stairs? Please Mr Eskins can we have them in the same room? xx

Angela, Thanks for the post and glad you enjoyed yourself. Great to see you again down here again. Not sure about whether this should be a one room or two room venue. Lots of opinions for one or the other. To be honest i can see valid points in both views and not sure at this stage as to the best way ahead. Will wait until after the November one and make a decision one way or other.

Best regards

Mike x

It was a brilliant night for sure and it was great to see more and more local support for the room upstairs. The atmosphere downstairs was electric, with one solid slab of quality Northern following another, with some of the rarest records on the planet on offer, from some of the cream of the U.K.'s Northern Soul D.J.'ing fraternity, who all know how to structure a "set" and create an atmosphere. Meanwhile upstairs, it was fantastic to see eager dancers to the eclectic mix of 60's R & B, Funk, Soul & Latin on offer, and none of the D.J.'s upstairs felt compelled in any way to play "safe" and were all phenomonal!!!!! The point of upstairs is to introduce fresh & exciting dance tunes, which doesn't necessarily mean "rare' , "obscure" or "slow" which demands a certain type of "crate digging" D.J. that is "out there" looking, listening and buying tracks that are "off the radar, and this what you got by the BUCKETLOAD, by people who are at the top of their game, and all with a driving passion for good music!! I can sympathise with Angie's view that the twoan rooms should merge.......but something special would DEFINATELY be lost, one way or the other. Let's not settle for second rate, but strive to improve on what happened rather than dumb it down. Massively looking forward to the next one!!

Des

Guest gordon russell

It was a brilliant night for sure and it was great to see more and more local support for the room upstairs. The atmosphere downstairs was electric, with one solid slab of quality Northern following another, with some of the rarest records on the planet on offer, from some of the cream of the U.K.'s Northern Soul D.J.'ing fraternity, who all know how to structure a "set" and create an atmosphere. Meanwhile upstairs, it was fantastic to see eager dancers to the eclectic mix of 60's R & B, Funk, Soul & Latin on offer, and none of the D.J.'s upstairs felt compelled in any way to play "safe" and were all phenomonal!!!!! The point of upstairs is to introduce fresh & exciting dance tunes, which doesn't necessarily mean "rare' , "obscure" or "slow" which demands a certain type of "crate digging" D.J. that is "out there" looking, listening and buying tracks that are "off the radar, and this what you got by the BUCKETLOAD, by people who are at the top of their game, and all with a driving passion for good music!! I can sympathise with Angie's view that the twoan rooms should merge.......but something special would DEFINATELY be lost, one way or the other. Let's not settle for second rate, but strive to improve on what happened rather than dumb it down. Massively looking forward to the next one!!

Des

birthday greetings to you des........hope this dosn,t constitute a post highjacking:lol: .........will hope fully get along to this night ..........for good tunes and good fun......tezza

many thanx to mike,des,martin ,sue an all invloved in yet another great nite....got there at just after 9 as i knew des was on early and missed him last time,as we got out of the car could hear kindly shepperds coming thru the walls....

got a drink at the bar and within two sips was on the floor to jt parker and only a few brief stops for food etc till we left sadly at just after 3.30(sugar levels kept dropping,too much too soon !will try harder to stay longer next time)

highlights were sean downstairs jumping down off stage leaving the decks to dance!....des and sean double decking upstairs to a lucky few !...des with unknown acetates and sean diggin deep..love the aquamen !

pete lyster downstairs with lyn tates jamaican take on johnny talor tune i raved about from nige brown last week at soulfusion

dr pickles killer uptempo funky northern upstairs...hardly knew a tune !

johnny beggs killer latin movers upstairs...hardly knew a tune !

like des says ...mike please keep the two rooms or it will lose something..eventually those classic loving dancers will realise what they are missing upstairs and those who werent there will know not to miss it in future

is already someting good and will get better,see you next time

big thanx

dean and nicci

Where to start?

We arrived around 8.15pm and Sue got set up on the door , I did a mooch and a few hellos to Mike,Pete and Des,few punters were already in!!

Marked our territory with my coat and scarf and set off with the camera. As per usual a steady stream of hugs and hellos ensued and I'd like to say a great big thanks to everyone who asked how my health was.

This time I managed to spend a lot more time upstairs and what a superb room,top quality DJs and chooooons with a bar,record sellers , comfy seats and also accesible via a lift which allowed our intrepid guy who had just had an hip op to get up there too!

The main room was kept going all night and early morning by all the DJs playing a great mix of choons.:rolleyes:

Not being able to be in 2 places at once is difficult but for me whichever room you chose to be in,it never dissapointed.

A thank you has to go out to all the staff at the venue too,notably Graham(commitee man) whom tirelessly whizzed around checking things were in order without being intrusive and jobsworthy(we've all met the types!)

Anyway Sue came off the door around 1 and joined me upstairs to listen to some quality chooonage and partake in a beef and onion roll(other refreshments akll reasonably priced were available!) Wasnt long before she hightailed it into the mainroom and hit the dancefloor,thanks to Sarah for keeping an eye on our base camp,which gave us a pew for inbetween shuffling(in my case) on the dancefloor.

We left around 4.30am as we had a friends wedding to attend Saturday morning, how inconsiderate getting married the morning of a nighter lol!

Pics will be sorted soon,roll on the next nighter.Plenty of other events on inc Woolacombe scooter rally,Skeggy weekender and Burnley nighter , so in reflection this was a well supported event.

Great to meet up with Steve, Kerry,Mart,Bev,Irish,Ronnie,Jeff,Angela,Cathy and many many others.

I hope you all adhered to this sign up by the stage lol! - Great night and roll on the next one!

post-11061-096218200 1285497430_thumb.jp

Thanks mart for posting first. For some reason i either missed this post or it not show up when i looked earlier this morning. More like after nighter blues Lol. Good to see you looking well and thanks to Sue and yourself for the photos and help with the door and other studd. Se you soon .

Regards

Mike

oh before anyone takes it the wrong way my 'classic loving ' remarks was in no way meant to be negative,i love my oldies as much as the next soulie but i just meant the music upstairs deserved more people listening to it and most of them would have loved it !!

and i did know one of the funky tunes aswell....just remembered dancin to the corner boys 'gang war' which i got off des a couple months back

Guest Glawster

Thanks mart for posting first. For some reason i either missed this post or it not show up when i looked earlier this morning. More like after nighter blues Lol. Good to see you looking well and thanks to Sue and yourself for the photos and help with the door and other studd. Se you soon .

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike No probs,hopefully the fotos are wing-ing their way to you as I type! Computer and pics been a pain in the backside last couple of weeks!Not complying , instead of sending fotos they've been doubling,trebling and sometimes quadruplying on our comp! As much as I like looking at soul fotos this is a bit much!!

Anyway cracking night ,so roll on November!

sumosoul.webs.com

Guest Dr Pickles

Another cracking night at this quality venue.

Just loved playing something a bit different but listening to other guys on in the upstairs room, I realise there is soooo much more out there.

Great sound systems and floors in both rooms.

Relaxed atmosphere, friends from all over the country.

Just brilliant.

Many thanks

Doc

Hi Mike No probs,hopefully the fotos are wing-ing their way to you as I type! Computer and pics been a pain in the backside last couple of weeks!Not complying , instead of sending fotos they've been doubling,trebling and sometimes quadruplying on our comp! As much as I like looking at soul fotos this is a bit much!!

Anyway cracking night ,so roll on November!

sumosoul.webs.com

Mart, Got the phoos and will be on the wbsite(www.riversidesoul.co.uk) later this morning.

Many thanks again.

Mike

Des

Excellently put Des :thumbsup:

It was a pleasure to play at Gloucester again in both rooms, and while loving both rooms; upstairs sets itself apart and it is fanatastic to be able to play the sort of tunes that i love seeking out, which i could not play at many other niters in the country.... and thats why it should not merge with downstairs - it just would not work. The room is perfect for what it has set out to be and long may it continue.

Well done, and thanks, to Mike and Des for putting on what could, and should, turn out to be one of the best 2 room events around :thumbsup:

Excellently put Des :thumbsup:

It was a pleasure to play at Gloucester again in both rooms, and while loving both rooms; upstairs sets itself apart and it is fanatastic to be able to play the sort of tunes that i love seeking out, which i could not play at many other niters in the country.... and thats why it should not merge with downstairs - it just would not work. The room is perfect for what it has set out to be and long may it continue.

Well done, and thanks, to Mike and Des for putting on what could, and should, turn out to be one of the best 2 room events around :thumbsup:

You said it was a pleasure for you to play at the allnighter, well it was a real treat for us i thought your set downstairs was the best ive heard all year

absolutely brilliant went away with a smile on my face

thanks wazz

Source Advert