Promoters

Rugby might not have him on the radar-BUT WE DO.

I think I just live with my rose tinted specs on and try to see the best in people...:lol:

I sincerely didnt want to clash with anyone but ended up clashing with Rugby, I publicly apologised on here and in an email to Sian and as you say this isnt the 1st time this has happened and I'm aware this doesnt make things any better.

Phil and I have been e-mailing eack other back and forth, so I can vouch for the apology and I thought we were actually thrashing things out until his wife opened my last e-mail and told me not to bother replying...:thumbsup:

I feel that this thread has been highjacked and is completely off topic, so I welcomed the fact that we were talking off forum.

Hi Bearsy,

The North East is more than an hours distance.

Cheers

Phil

I think people assumed you were local to an event you were running as that is usually the norm.

Social source share

• Replies 211
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Phil Armstrong

I think I just live with my rose tinted specs on and try to see the best in people...:lol:

Phil and I have been e-mailing eack other back and forth, so I can vouch for the apology and I thought we were actually thrashing things out until his wife opened my last e-mail and told me not to bother replying...:thumbsup:

I feel that this thread has been highjacked and is completely off topic, so I welcomed the fact that we were talking off forum.

I think people assumed you were local to an event you were running as that is usually the norm.

Hi Sian,

Sorry for my wifes reply.

I was expecting to be back living in the midlands by later this year.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

What is also a big problem .........all these dj,s will only attend venues (and thats ANY venue ) if they are djing. they never see themselves as fans of soul music and just go along to a venue and enjoy emselves,there are a few that do,but an awful lot who don,t T

Mark Freeman is a D.J & Promoter, and he pops up all over the place, up & down the country, he attends all niter's & soul nite's just as a punter, & Mark is one of the nicest guy's on the Soul Scene. What I love about Mark is that he loves to dance & that's where I first met him, on the dance floor, enjoying all sorts of music..

It takes all sorts to make a good event.

Julia

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I think I just live with my rose tinted specs on and try to see the best in people...wink.gif

Sian is another promoter, who travels up & down the country to attend soul nite's & all niter's just as a punter.

I Love Rugby not just because of the music policiy there, it's the people for me.

I first went many years ago, and was made to feel very welcome, my sort of people.

It's just brilliant. !!!!!!!!!

Julia

Edited by julia123
Social source share

Steve- I think you will find this 'promoter' has no thought pattern or respect for any other operator.

He attempted to book our Kings Hall Stoke DJs for a night he decided to clash with.

Kev

Your DJ's ?

Can they not work for anyone else then Kev?

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

are Djs also part of the problem and not just Promoters, will any djs especially any on Soul Source actually dj for Bob/Phil if they know he is only in it to cash in with no respect for any other promoters, i certainly wouldnt (not that i would ever be asked int he first place :thumbsup: ) If all you respectable Promoters got together and had an agreement where djs who djd for the likes of Bob/Phil (can we just call it Phib) then would not get asked to dj for you lot again, would and coould that work or is the pull of djn too much even for some promoters ??

Hi Bearsy,

Perhaps they wont after the character assassination I am receiving on here.

Am i to blame for every clash that has happened over the years.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

if .............. i repeat "if "............... its a purely business venture , 5 or 6 venues starting up in short order suggest this to me., .......then firstly re couping outlay ,then a profit is no 1 ..............not affecting others attendances will be have to be secondary wont it ?? , ezzie .. ps sorry ...............im refering to the new promotions discussed by longy..........

Hi Ezzie,

Not a business venture at all, will be fortunate if any break even and they were planned as co promotions, not sure anyone would be interested now.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

are Djs also part of the problem and not just Promoters, will any djs especially any on Soul Source actually dj for Bob/Phil if they know he is only in it to cash in with no respect for any other promoters, i certainly wouldnt (not that i would ever be asked int he first place :thumbsup: ) If all you respectable Promoters got together and had an agreement where djs who djd for the likes of Bob/Phil (can we just call it Phib) then would not get asked to dj for you lot again, would and coould that work or is the pull of djn too much even for some promoters ??

whoa we have had this before where certain promoters told certain dj,s if they played at a,n,others venue then they would never play for them again,

smacks of bullying to me, although I would like to think that most dj,s and for that matter promoters are honourable and decent,

who decides who the respectable promoters are ,

because in no time it would become a clique , and the old boy network would prevail even more than it does now, what chance then for good up and coming dj,s.

great in theory piss poor in practice comes to mind unfortunately

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

went the assembly to see the snooker - this will be an amazing niter,,,didnt go in tne 70s ,,,,roll on next year for this one!!

Hi Mark,

Quite funny really I was hoping by the end of this week to PM you and ask if you would like to DJ at this event.

Cant now guarantee this event will now happen after all what has been said on here doesnt seem worthwhile, will forward the posts onto the venue and await their response .

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

I didn't think it would be long before you cropped up!

Just asking a promoter a question on a thread named promoters Kev.

Also if what you say is true & I've no reason to doubt you I'm 100% with you on the poaching of DJ's whether you believe me or not.

Will say the same to Philly / Bob too if he cares to comment on it.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Nice to have the choice then.

Let's suppose both suffer poor attendances and neither fare well in regards a lack of atmosphere and a substantial financial loss due to costs.

Suppose both promoters decide to call it a day after the clash cus they don't fancy the risk of losing another sh*tload of money in the future.....consider the possibility that you might not have the choice of either venue again in the future?

Of course there should be plenty to choose from the allnighter calender...just not necessarily on the same night within close proximity of each other.

As for promoters who suddenly set up new nighters clashing with other established events because 'those were the only dates available'....funny how them dates never seem to be on the same nights as the likes of Stoke Kings Hall / March Prestatyn etc...probably cus you know you'd be on a major loser and dare not risk letting the possible attendees choose with their feet in that scenario eh?

A great quote from recent years is that "venues don't clash, promoters do", and if there is no other dates available at the venue without causing a damaging clash, then the promoter still has a easy choice........just so happens that certain promoters can never seem to opt for the simplest decision of not booking that date!

Hi Mace,

All you say is very sensible and correct is probably the best option.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

went the assembly to see the snooker - this will be an amazing niter,,,didnt go in tne 70s ,,,,roll on next year for this one!!

The Assembly Rooms Alldayers were legendary mate. Apart from Brum Locarno the only alldayers i've ever attended. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

The Assembly Rooms Alldayers were legendary mate. Apart from Brum Locarno the only alldayers i've ever attended. :thumbsup:

Hi Matt,

Wern't the Assembly Rooms always all - nighters?

Notts Palais all dayers werre legendary.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Ezzie,

Not a business venture at all, will be fortunate if any break even and they were planned as co promotions, not sure anyone would be interested now.

Cheers

Phil

hi ,...thanks for the reply, ....my only interest is in tryin to find somewhere to go on a weekend that i enjoy and has enough attendees to make it enjoyable and viable ..the explosion in venues, along with other well documented factors has diluted attendances ....i have asked questions about the new burnley venture also......, regards ,ezzie

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Yes the one all - nighter is Derby.

Barrow was supposed to be a co pro until the other party pulled out.

Warrington is the Parr Hall which was a moster soul venue years ago and this is a co pro.

Loughborough is The Town Hall, I've been to many nighters there in the past, no dates are fixed and this was always planned on being a co pro.

There is never a right time.

Cheers

Phil

Phil

I know Parr Hall and Loughborough well as I used to go to both back in the day and they were both great nighters but that was over 20 years ago

I just wondered why you picked these towns / venues, nothing available in Pieland?

A mate and I ran an R&B and Soul night nor far from warrington for a while but packed it in when numbers started to dwindle whilst we looked for a smaller more intimate and suitable venue. However, due to the pletherer of clubs that have nights in the north west we have postponed our new night as we would surely clash with something in the area.

It appears you arent taking the same considerations and are quite willing to take on the clubs in the localities of your new ventures with complete disregard to the consequences it may have on them or is it you are expecting the soul boy film to have the quadraphenia effect and bring thousands of curious teenagers rushing to nighters to see what it is all about?

Problem is today kids already have clubs that stay open most of the night and access to legal powders and potions to keep them up all night, it isnt different anymore !

Regards

Steve

Social source share

I was asked through a third party to dj at the Chesterfield do and accepted, with all the coments on here i wish i hadnt now but will honour the booking , if it had clashed with any venue i regularly attend or especially dj at i would have refused it. certainly would have turned it down if Rugby had been on. will have to start checking next years dates now hope some are already there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Now without the choice i would have gone to rugby.......because i like it, but given the choice then it has to be Derby for me as it suits MY music taste....what is wrong with that??

very valid point Daz :thumbsup:

thats the problem though, what happens if the following week there was nothing on that even remotely suited your taste ??

Well lets just say that if on one weekend there was only Lifeline, Bidds and any other nighters of this ilk then i don't go, it's simple......my choice, my taste.

Social source share

From a purely personal point of view I would just like to add my views.

We started Burscough Legion three years ago simply because we wanted to offer something a little bit different to the bog standard bootleg oldies venues that were being run (and still are) in this neck of the woods. Our music policy has always been a mix of underplayed oldies, uptempo R&B, lesser played tunes, etc and we have stuck with this policy throughout our time at the Legion.

We chose to run our events on the fourth Saturday of each month as at the time there was nothing on locally to clash with.

Since we started three new events have started up within 30 miles of us---two nighters and a soul night, and in each case all of these venues are being organised by people who also run at least one other venue.

To put it simply, its killing the local scene---these people don't give a shit about established venues and the effect their events have upon them.

On another note the amount of weekenders springing up around the country is also a major cause of declining numbers at established soul events.

Just my opinion, of course.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Phil

I know Parr Hall and Loughborough well as I used to go to both back in the day and they were both great nighters but that was over 20 years ago

I just wondered why you picked these towns / venues, nothing available in Pieland?

A mate and I ran an R&B and Soul night nor far from warrington for a while but packed it in when numbers started to dwindle whilst we looked for a smaller more intimate and suitable venue. However, due to the pletherer of clubs that have nights in the north west we have postponed our new night as we would surely clash with something in the area.

It appears you arent taking the same considerations and are quite willing to take on the clubs in the localities of your new ventures with complete disregard to the consequences it may have on them or is it you are expecting the soul boy film to have the quadraphenia effect and bring thousands of curious teenagers rushing to nighters to see what it is all about?

Problem is today kids already have clubs that stay open most of the night and access to legal powders and potions to keep them up all night, it isnt different anymore !

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

I dont have a disregard and dates were discussed with the promoters of other events at both Barrow and Chesterfield to make sure that there were no clashes with other soul nights in the area

As previously mentioned my day job is booking shows into theatres such as Loughborough Town Hall and, Warrington Parr Hall and the managements of these are looking to run soul nights if not with me with someone else and you dont even know these may be co pros with established promoters in these locations.

Never given the Soulboy film a second thought, may never happen.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

You know what i think i must be missing something here because to a man or women (sorry) people keep on banging on about the wealth and choice of venues to go to up and down the length and breadth of the country week in week out............Are you all mad!!:D

Take away mini nighters (wtf!! are these all about i will never know) Then take out all of the rare/RnB nighters, add to this list your normal soul night (which have never done it for me) then MY choice of venues has taken a dramatic nose dive........and let me get this sure, this is about choice??:thumbsup:

That leaves me with my personal choice if i had any!! Kings Hall/Nuneaton/Rugby/Six Hills so maybe if i am really lucky i get to in my opinion 20 nighters in a year..........it used to be at least 80!! as usually it was a Fri nighter followed by a Sat nighter and on the odd occasion a Sunday all dayer!!

So whoever you are who is trying to get Assembly Rooms and Parr Hall back on the map...........GO FOR IT!!thumbsup.gif

Sorry....... In My Opinion.....that is:lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Matt,

Wern't the Assembly Rooms always all - nighters?

Notts Palais all dayers werre legendary.

Cheers

Phil

No Phil there were All Dayers at the Assembly Rooms in the late 70s/early 80s.

Can't remember the exact dates but a quick search on the internet will tell you. To be honest i don't remember many nighters there. It was always a big dayer venue for me, along with Brum Locarno.

All the best

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

From a purely personal point of view I would just like to add my views.

We started Burscough Legion three years ago simply because we wanted to offer something a little bit different to the bog standard bootleg oldies venues that were being run (and still are) in this neck of the woods. Our music policy has always been a mix of underplayed oldies, uptempo R&B, lesser played tunes, etc and we have stuck with this policy throughout our time at the Legion.

We chose to run our events on the fourth Saturday of each month as at the time there was nothing on locally to clash with.

Since we started three new events have started up within 30 miles of us---two nighters and a soul night, and in each case all of these venues are being organised by people who also run at least one other venue.

To put it simply, its killing the local scene---these people don't give a shit about established venues and the effect their events have upon them.

On another note the amount of weekenders springing up around the country is also a major cause of declining numbers at established soul events.

Just my opinion, of course.

Tony,

I run an allnighter less than 30 miles from you, I am I one of the two allnighters mentioned above?

Chris W

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Yes

Nice to get it out in the open,

So which other event do I run then? short memory comes into play here, I like to think I try to support other venues like yours, have I not in the past sent out your event information to my mailing list when you have sent it?

Also, have we not discussed in the past, when your soul night falls on the same night as our allnighter you only have to ask and we discount anyone supporting your night who wish to then go to the allnighter.

If that is not giving a shit then I am well guilty.

Social source share

Nice to get it out in the open,

So which other event do I run then? short memory comes into play here, I like to think I try to support other venues like yours, have I not in the past sent out your event information to my mailing list when you have sent it?

Also, have we not discussed in the past, when your soul night falls on the same night as our allnighter you only have to ask and we discount anyone supporting your night who wish to then go to the allnighter.

If that is not giving a shit then I am well guilty.

I was merely stating the facts as I see them----when we started the Legion there were no other local nights on and now there are. Is it wrong to say this?

Yes you have in the past sent out our details on your mailing list, and thanks for that.

The point I was trying to make was the profusion of events which in my opinion is spoiling the scene as a whole. To be honest your events are probably the least of our worries as they take place on a bi-monthly basis on the last Saturday of the month and only clash with us probably 3 or 4 times a year. Which is a shame in itself because we would probably support your nighters on a regular basis if this clash of dates did not occur.

I do not want to become part of a slanging match with you, the facts are that we were running our events before any of the other venues started up in this area---we have never altered our dates and have always run on the fourth Saturday of the month.

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I dont have a disregard and dates were discussed with the promoters of other events at both Barrow and Chesterfield to make sure that there were no clashes with other soul nights in the area

As previously mentioned my day job is booking shows into theatres such as Loughborough Town Hall and, Warrington Parr Hall and the managements of these are looking to run soul nights if not with me with someone else and you dont even know these may be co pros with established promoters in these locations.

Never given the Soulboy film a second thought, may never happen.

Cheers

Phil

re warington and surounding towns

we have enough events around here as it is mate . WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER !!!

burtonwood i understand was a good night and had to close down its open again with new promotors but i heard they are finding it hard thats just one of many around these parts .i jacked my own club in due to the amount of clubs springing up near me i thought f... it i'll give it a rest for a year and may be some of these clubs will have bit the dust .some did but ...f...in hell they just keep coming . if i was you mate i would have a good look at how many soul events are on within 30 miles around here . and i understand there will be two more next month . i think the number of soul events here is around 20 may be more

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

burtonwood i understand was a good night and had to close down its open again with new promotors but i heard they are finding it hard thats just one of many around these parts .i jacked my own club in due to the amount of clubs springing up near me i thought f... it i'll give it a rest for a year and may be some of these clubs will have bit the dust .some did but ...f...in hell they just keep coming . if i was you mate i would have a good look at how many soul events are on within 30 miles around here . and i understand there will be two more next month . i think the number of soul events here is around 20 may be more

Thats very true Paul, if this venue takes place it will be the fourth event to be taking place in Warrington------why? The only reason I can possibly think of is money-----pack 'em in, play overplayed bootleg oldies and count the cash. The amount of venues in this area is staggering-----not just Warrington but everywhere in a thirty mile radius of Manchester, why do we need more?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Steve,

As previously mentioned my day job is booking shows into theatres such as Loughborough Town Hall and, Warrington Parr Hall and the managements of these are looking to run soul nights if not with me with someone else

Phil

Come on Phil, we can't let venue managers dictate the number of soul nights and nighters on the scene. You're right, if it were down to the managers of venues there would be hundreds of events in the same town, they are trying to fill an empty slot in their calendars. Venue managers don't give a toss about the soul scene, they just want bar sales and a room in use. You say that if it wasn't you it would be someone else, well i think all of us should resist venues approaching promoters and trying to get them to start new nights without first checking if there are similar nights already on in the local area, or in the case of allnighters the same night.

I think you are probably well intentioned Phil, i don't know you personally and i apologise for insinuating earlier that you are in it for a fast buck, but in my opinion at the end of the day the soul scene needs cooperation between promoters not competition.

All the best

Matt

Social source share

Come on Phil, we can't let venue managers dictate the number of soul nights and nighters on the scene. You're right, if it were down to the managers of venues there would be hundreds of events in the same town, they are trying to fill an empty slot in their calendars. Venue managers don't give a toss about the soul scene, they just want bar sales and a room in use. You say that if it wasn't you it would be someone else, well i think all of us should resist venues approaching promoters and trying to get them to start new nights without first checking if there are similar nights already on in the local area, or in the case of allnighters the same night.

I think you are probably well intentioned Phil, i don't know you personally and i apologise for insinuating earlier that you are in it for a fast buck, but in my opinion at the end of the day the soul scene needs cooperation between promoters not competition.

All the best

Matt

Nice post Matt.

Even with the clash and the effect it will have on our numbers, I did find myself feeling sorry for Phil.

I think this problem has been bubbling away for a long time and he just seemed to be the poor sod who got both barrels.

I don't think there will be a solution as it is a free world and as such everyone and anyone can run a venue if they so wish.

and defo good luck to anyone who does coz you will need it IMO...:thumbsup:

Social source share

Nice post Matt.

Even with the clash and the effect it will have on our numbers, I did find myself feeling sorry for Phil.

I think this problem has been bubbling away for a long time and he just seemed to be the poor sod who got both barrels.

I don't think there will be a solution as it is a free world and as such everyone and anyone can run a venue if they so wish.

and defo good luck to anyone who does coz you will need it IMO...:thumbsup:

I dont think you have anything to worry about " Dave".....LOL ph34r.gif

Philly.............. the original.... recently booted !!!

Oh and "Phil" you say your job is a booker.. then surely you would rekkie the area and see what other venues and nighters etc where going on... isnt that part of your day job??

You say the venue managers wanted the soul nights / nighters... did you not have talks with these managers about other venues doing the same thing before you agreed to get involved... surely you would have to? As a co run event surely you discussed finance, profit etc ??? Does not add up............ Oh which part of County Durham do you hail from?

Edited by Philly
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi Bearsy,

Cheers

Phil

Derby is only an Hour from Rugby and i presume you will be at your own promotion and if your putting on such a grand nighter you must be relying on a lot of travellers from all over the country so why dont you travel to other nighters that offer a vey simialr event as you after doing,

why are you in the scene is it for the love of the music or just the ego and hopefully to make some money ??

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi Bearsy,

Cheers

Phil

why are you putting on an event so far from home, just curious as i know of some that are trying to do the same and they are only doing it off the back of another promoters event :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

oh well just read the whole of page 3 and come to the conclusion that im really starting to not understand this scene and what it should all be about, oh well time for a break me thinks cos i dont have as much in common with folk as i thought i did,

keep the faith :hatsoff2:

Social source share

oh well just read the whole of page 3 and come to the conclusion that im really starting to not understand this scene and what it should all be about, oh well time for a break me thinks cos i dont have as much in common with folk as i thought i did,

Paul, it's the same as it was yesterday; last week; last year.... it's what's in your heart heart_mini.gif

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I think this is a case that the horse has already bolted from the stable.

I think its gone too far for all promoters and DJs to sit down and come to agreement on venues and dates.

Unless of course you all agree to ALL cut down on some of the dates you already have,just so you can accomodate everybody. And that aint gonna happen is it.

I think everybody has to sit back now and see the fittest ones survive,whoever those may be.

I think venues and nighters will thin out naturally in due course.

Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom,but i can't see it panning out any other way can you.

Stu.

Social source share

I think its gone too far for all promoters and DJs to sit down and come to agreement on venues and dates.

Unless of course you all agree to ALL cut down on some of the dates you already have,just so you can accomodate everybody. And that aint gonna happen is it.

I think everybody has to sit back now and see the fittest ones survive,whoever those may be.

Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom,but i can't see it panning out any other way can you.

Stu.

I agree with most of your comments

but not the the fittest will survive bit

reason being it costs more to get good djs with real records

and good quality sound systems etc. just my opinion,but what do i know

Steve A.

Social source share

...but you also said, earlier in the thread (and I quote).......

"yeah but come on most of the established promotors er? i mean venues all tend to be runn by the same people who runn more than one venue and tend to rule the roost in my opinion, so forget blaming others ..i think people are becoming a little bored with them ."

You posts seem to contradict each other.......so are you 'For' or 'Against' new promotions appearing out of nowhere to clash with other local established events? (whether that be your local area or not) ?

Social source share

Its because a lot of people have lost touch with this fantastic thing that is soul music !

they have lost that excitement of getting the parcel of the postmen, with the original seven inch record inside.

I suppose you have reputations money and egos to keep up ?

But I suggest that many have lost the real true feeling for soul music itself !

You have either forgotten or misplaced the very reason why you wanted to be here in the first place ?

Its a very sad ending for this scene that always seemed determined to dig and remember forgotten, rare and lost musical genius !

The writing is on the wall !

Social source share

Guest SCOOBY

lovin this thread ,old though the topic may be it still evokes feelings of passion in people ,so no talk of a dieing scene because its those feelings that keeps it going.But please dont bring this topic out with you at the w/e I go to enjoy myself please help me by enjoying yourself

A punters view

I couldnt tell you after over 40 years of nighters who promoted most of them .Heard talk of not goin to 12345 niter xyz runs it !!!!!!!!,so..... I pay to have a good night out and if I do thank you xyz For those guessin which venue I'd choose well I'm for RUGBY over anywhere .Its not just a venue they promote its a welcome ,glad you came,thanks for cummin,enjoy,feellin that sets me up .so to you I say thank you

Social source share

keep the faith :thumbsup:

Don't worry Bearsy...

As i said before, the soul scene is only a mirror of society... There are good guys, bad guys, bull shi""ers,kind hearted, back stabbers, genuine, liars,cheats,honest as the day is long, life long friends, humble, ego etc etc etc...

Nothing new there....

Was that understanding or not understanding that makes you want to take a break?????????

Too many good folk to let the pricks get me down.... just stay away from the dark corners... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Stu.

Lifeline has 5 per year, 6 if we could ever sort the christmas/new year date out. Just how many would you like us to cut down to?

New Century runs the month we don't promoting a three room venue, more oldies orientated in the large room with two side rooms catering for upcoming, modern, R&B and Steve Cato's session.

We work together along with Mace and believe it or not at times other promoters including Kev Roberts to try and avoid clashes. Along with Chris at New Century, we are always the last Saturday in the month and our dates are up over a year in advance in the all-nighter planner, these dates have been used since our beginnings.

I'm not sure we can really do any more to help than we already do? If there are any suggestions, we will gladly listen.

Social source share

Great Post and even when Chalky said "no bickering", it was bound to happen.

Can any promoters who have recently run a venue and lost money pleadse PM me, I would like to know why it happened!!!!

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Social source share

I agree with most of your comments

but not the the fittest will survive bit

reason being it costs more to get good djs with real records

and good quality sound systems etc. just my opinion,but what do i know

Steve A.

Plenty of quality djs that come cheap and plenty who charge the earth for showing little or no imagination in there sets :hatsoff2:

Edited by tim smithers
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Stu.

I'm not so pessimistic. We've got a nice little club running and in the spirit of the early 80s we play new things and experiment and we try to avoid the obvious. Every month i'm glad we run it because i always hear something brilliant and something new to my ears. The majority of what we play is northern soul, but we also play RnB, crossover and funk that to me is dancable and could easily be played in a main room by an adventurous DJ. We don't make any money at all because having a place like Move On is more important than ramming a big venue and making a fortune and to be honest the number of people wanting to hear something different is quite small on the scene as a whole.

The scene is in two parts now, with the oldies venues getting the numbers and making the money and despite what many say there are unfortunately very few people who go out to hear something other than oldies and it's very hard for any promoter running an oldies night to start mixing it up a bit for fear of losing numbers,although i think dancers are far more accepting than promoters and DJs think, it just takes someone with balls to stop playing only classic oldies or big money rareities. That's why second rooms are more useful these days playing rarely heard stuff, promoters can keep their main room for oldies and still play something different without losing the numbers.

Eventually i think numbers will dip again, like they did in the 90s, but to be honest i don't think it will make any difference to the upfront scene, although the oldies scene might suffer.

As Stevie says, like in life there will always be promoters in it for the money, those who do it for their egos and those who think they are doing the scene a service. I hope at Move On we are the latter, otherwise we'd pack it in tomorrow. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

I was merely stating the facts as I see them----when we started the Legion there were no other local nights on and now there are. Is it wrong to say this?

Yes you have in the past sent out our details on your mailing list, and thanks for that.

The point I was trying to make was the profusion of events which in my opinion is spoiling the scene as a whole. To be honest your events are probably the least of our worries as they take place on a bi-monthly basis on the last Saturday of the month and only clash with us probably 3 or 4 times a year. Which is a shame in itself because we would probably support your nighters on a regular basis if this clash of dates did not occur.

I do not want to become part of a slanging match with you, the facts are that we were running our events before any of the other venues started up in this area---we have never altered our dates and have always run on the fourth Saturday of the month.

Hi All

Sorry about keeping this going but I will not sit back and allow anyone to post incorrect facts when it effects what I do with my promotion

Tony,

You say you were only stating the facts as you saw them, you posted 'when we started the Legion there were no other local nights on and now there are, is it wrong to say this?

Well yes it was, because back in March on the 31st 2007, when you launched Ormskirk Soul Club at The Comrades Club, there where three other local events listed and established, Monaco Ballroom, 45 Carat Soul Formby Hall and Middlewich Legion, all listed months in advance of you launching your night, so I find it, a little ironic that you posted,

'These people don't give a shit about established venues and the effect their events have upon them' smacks of the Pot and Kettle

You also posted that the two Niters and soul night are run by people who run at least one other event and I now know you included me in that statement, well again you are wrong, I run one promotion...Radcliffe and you only think this is wrong when it does not include you,

just to jog your memory:

July 2007 you moved to Burscough British Legion you then launched another event, 29th September Ormskirk Civic Hall, 'Motown & Classics' now't wrong with that, just don't sit well when you imply I and others run to many events to the detriment of the scene.

So just to finish you did not post facts, I run one niter, I have done nothing but support your event with mailouts and reduced entrance, so if your numbers are on the wain, don't try and blame me or my promotion,

suggest you take a look closer to home.

Social source share

I am an Allnighter punter, not sure if there is such a thing as an average punter?

Nevertheless I will write what I, and my fellow traveling companions consider when choosing an Allnighter.

Before I start I think it best to explain what our little group consists of because we all have different tastes and slightly different takes on what constitutes a good night.

Our collective selection on where we are going to go usually happens like this..........

1. We keep in touch via texts and phone calls and we pretty much decide on if WE are all available such as "Are you going out next weekend?", if the answer is no then the exercise halts here.

2. If we are all agreed that there is sufficient numbers (Usually one or two cars) then we look to see what's on.

3. We are all smack bang in the middle of South Yorkshire and we are all willing to travel any distance as long as the Allnighter is of a decent quality. It isn't nice but true that the further south and the further north that we go the quality line dips, this is a reality so we don't find our selves going any further than Rugby in the south and the odd 100 Club.

4. We select the do soulie on word of mouth, nothing more nothing less. It matters not what is on the flyer less a list of trusted and respected DJ's.

5. What sort of music do we want? Well we know that we have Allnighters that are like restaurants serving different food, we all enjoy the many flavors on offer and we all worship in our broad church.

6. There is a social side that is fun and we meet up with many friends and make new ones all the time.

7. Facilities; Dance floors can vary in size and quality, sound systems can fail, venues can look brand new and some can look tired, bar prices can very and so can entrance fees, we all know and understand that there is no such thing as the perfect do but we insist on a few basic things less we feel we are having the piss taken.

8. DJ's n Music: None of us are remotely interested in "The Formula" and we all love dancing to records but we get very tired of unimaginative and lazy DJ's who become faceless and predictable yet we don't want to hear a selection of tunes selected by people who have no connection or understanding towards those who are on the dance floor or tapping their feat.

We want passionate people who dare to bomb and have the courage to introduce the odd new flavor. At the same time we want a DJ to be able to admit when he has got it wrong and change tack, this does not mean reaching for The Snake!

Like I said, this is only The South Yorkshire Soul Searchers and I am not sure if any of us are "normal" so our views may not help?

Social source share

I'm not so pessimistic. We've got a nice little club running and in the spirit of the early 80s we play new things and experiment and we try to avoid the obvious. Every month i'm glad we run it because i always hear something brilliant and something new to my ears. The majority of what we play is northern soul, but we also play RnB, crossover and funk that to me is dancable and could easily be played in a main room by an adventurous DJ. We don't make any money at all because having a place like Move On is more important than ramming a big venue and making a fortune and to be honest the number of people wanting to hear something different is quite small on the scene as a whole.

The scene is in two parts now, with the oldies venues getting the numbers and making the money and despite what many say there are unfortunately very few people who go out to hear something other than oldies and it's very hard for any promoter running an oldies night to start mixing it up a bit for fear of losing numbers,although i think dancers are far more accepting than promoters and DJs think, it just takes someone with balls to stop playing only classic oldies or big money rareities. That's why second rooms are more useful these days playing rarely heard stuff, promoters can keep their main room for oldies and still play something different without losing the numbers.

Eventually i think numbers will dip again, like they did in the 90s, but to be honest i don't think it will make any difference to the upfront scene, although the oldies scene might suffer.

As Stevie says, like in life there will always be promoters in it for the money, those who do it for their egos and those who think they are doing the scene a service. I hope at Move On we are the latter, otherwise we'd pack it in tomorrow. :hatsoff2:

Good post Matt and also agree with the djs with the big ticket oldies, i know of some who have thousands of records, but still choose to play out of a 100 box, god if i hear the tomangoes once more, i'll pull all my hair out, o yeah, already done that lol :hatsoff2:

Social source share

are Djs also part of the problem and not just Promoters, will any djs especially any on Soul Source actually dj for Bob/Phil if they know he is only in it to cash in with no respect for any other promoters, i certainly wouldnt (not that i would ever be asked int he first place :hatsoff2: ) If all you respectable Promoters got together and had an agreement where djs who djd for the likes of Bob/Phil (can we just call it Phib) then would not get asked to dj for you lot again, would and coould that work or is the pull of djn too much even for some promoters ??

I saw on one of the flyers on his (PhilB) site the name of John Manship. Does this mean you will also be boycotting any of John Manships sales or auctions, as well? Or would it be that his sales are Ok, just not to ask him to dj? Just wondering where you'd draw the line? :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!