Why Do Sellers Delete Sold Record Prices

When I am after a record that I don't know the going rate for I do quite a bit of desk research (especially for the more expensive 45's > £50.00). I use the normal tools - Ebay; Popsike; Manships; Mates and also Soul Source.

Soul Source is a vast hub of knowledge which also inlcudes record prices; so I carry out a search and see what prices have been put on records I want recently...So what infuriates me is when Sellers delete the price of a record and put 'SOLD' in it's place. Why??? Of course you have to put 'sold' but why delete the price - it wasn't a secret before, so why now?? you may as well just delete the complete Sales Thread as it serves no purpose after the 45 has been sold

Why do some sellers do this??

:thumbsup:

i now refuse to buy recoirds off sellers that do this (unless its a 45 I really want in which case i will turn a blind eye lol)

p.s - if this is the wrong section will a Mod please move it; taeverso.

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I do it so the buyer can say he got it for err !!!!! so much and it could be that the sale price was a lower price than stated or even that it went for a trade Dave. :lol:

Tony; if it's a real rareity we know what the buyer bought it for...fair point on trade but still leave the expected price up.

I still like you Tony beer.gif

Social source share

There's another reason of course. Many sellers and buyers feel that...

...DELETED at request of seller / buyer

Seriously though - refusing to buy off someone who won't tell you exactly for how much they sold an unrelated record to a buyer you may not know. Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face a bit?

Social source share

I didn't like this at first either, but now it just feels right. Seems courteous...can't really explain why. Probably because I really don't want friends knowing how much I spend on these silly plastic things :laugh:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

D'you know, I hadn't even given the matter a second thought before, but now that I have I promise that I wll keep the prices there, and put sold next to the price, from tomorrow's list onwards...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

When I am after a record that I don't know the going rate for I do quite a bit of desk research (especially for the more expensive 45's > £50.00). I use the normal tools - Ebay; Popsike; Manships; Mates and also Soul Source.

Soul Source is a vast hub of knowledge which also inlcudes record prices; so I carry out a search and see what prices have been put on records I want recently...So what infuriates me is when Sellers delete the price of a record and put 'SOLD' in it's place. Why??? Of course you have to put 'sold' but why delete the price - it wasn't a secret before, so why now?? you may as well just delete the complete Sales Thread as it serves no purpose after the 45 has been sold

angry.gif

i now refuse to buy recoirds off sellers that do this (unless its a 45 I really want in which case i will turn a blind eye lol)

I agree - something I've always wanted to ask, but never put my head above the parapet!!

Would be a much bettter service to Soul Sourcers to have a more up-to-date idea of current asking/selling prices,

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

I agree - something I've always wanted to ask, but never put my head above the parapet!!

Would be a much bettter service to Soul Sourcers to have a more up-to-date idea of current asking/selling prices,

thumbsup.gif I'm with you and Dave on this one.

No sale price is particularly frustrating when you see another for sale asking for "offers", and you do a quick search to find what a reasonable offer might be.

That usually means I avoid such sales rather than seriously over or under estimating and making a complete pillock of myself.

Social source share

angry.gif

Good question and there's a simple answer, they do it just to...................annoy you Dave :lol:

Social source share

Agree entirely Dave, sooooooooo frustrating. It could be used so much more for reference if prices were kept up after sale unless particularly asked to be removed by the buyer, but cant imagine why that would be a problem really, unless your wife or partner is a member of the site of course ph34r.gif.

Russ

Social source share

Dave

I do this, am one of the guilty ones and can honestly say I don't give it a second thought when I do it - it just seemed like a good place to put the "SOLD" bit, no alterior motive other than letting people know not to waste their time P.M.'ing me for the disc in question, coz it's gorrn!! I feel suitably chastised & will cease this heinious crime as from now!!!

Des

Social source share

D'you know, I hadn't even given the matter a second thought before, but now that I have I promise that I wll keep the prices there, and put sold next to the price, from tomorrow's list onwards...

What lists? I haven't seen any lists of Sales from you Tony ................ Have I?

Social source share

Suppose if the record went for a lower offer and the buyer requests price removed - no problem.Maybe his wife is on the case..:lol:

On the same theme,what about the "pm'd ya" posts on Sales.?.A while later "Hold" or "Sold" is posted....now who bought that????:D

Social source share

Dont understand this point about deleting prices to save buyers privacy.

How would anyone know who bought any particular record except the buyer and the seller?

I've always told my wife exactly how much any record has cost me, (thats if/when she's asked or itscropped up somehow) so I never get that hiding stuff idea at all anyway, but when I see something I want I pm the seller, agree the details and send the money. I never write on the thread ( you've got a pm type thing) so how would my wife or anybody else know that my recently arrived copy of Fred Scruggs came from one particular sales on soul source so therefore I must have paid £X, and not from one of the thousands of other sales arenas where the price could be completely different?

One off's aside ( and lets be honest there's very few of them) no one can know where any of your records come from, can they, unless you tell them and if you are a secretive person then you ain't gonna tell anyone anyway, so what's the point?

confused of the black country

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Dave ...just a thought here.... if your doing a search for a record and find it listed on here as SOLD without the price .........

Why not pm the said person and ask ?? i'm sure you'll get the answer ....oh and it might have sold for less by way of offer rather than asking price.

After all ,we are all one big happy family on here and only too happy to help ....i'm right aren't i ????

Social source share

I do it so the buyer can say he got it for err !!!!! so much and it could be that the sale price was a lower price than stated or even that it went for a trade Dave. :thumbsup:

Agreed !!! most people don't want people to know what price they have paid for a record especially if they got it at a bargain price!! it could effect the resale of said item :yes: ATB John :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agreed !!! most people don't want people to know what price they have paid for a record especially if they got it at a bargain price!! it could effect the resale of said item :thumbsup: ATB John :thumbsup:

the seller is the one deleting the price. Why would they want to help a buyer buy a record off them and resell it for much higher?

Social source share

Dave ...just a thought here.... if your doing a search for a record and find it listed on here as SOLD without the price .........

Why not pm the said person and ask ?? i'm sure you'll get the answer ....oh and it might have sold for less by way of offer rather than asking price.

After all ,we are all one big happy family on here and only too happy to help ....i'm right aren't i ????

Firstly, i don't like it when the price is edited out...but thats just because i'm a nosey git! Secondly, i think you are right on the whole...whenever i have asked anyone on here for help they have always been very obliging!... ooh err ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Quite often the seller is after some quick money so discounts the record so it's not necessary a true reflection of the price, plus prices are always on the move.

does that matter, most on here seen to think popsike and ebay is a true reflection of the price of a record :P

Like John says I can never understand those who post..."pm'ed ya" on a sales topic, especially if they don't want anyone to know their business? The forum should be able to detect pm'ed ya, pm'ed ya back posts and auto delete them!

Social source share

When you put up a sales list with prices, they are generally what you want to sell them for. Buyers might have a different opinion of what they want to buy them for. Sometimes you reach agreement.

When you sell a record off a list it is a deal between you and the buyer, not an exercise in setting selling prices.

So when a record is sold, mark it as SOLD. It is nobody else's business what the agreed price was.

Just a matter of respect and nothing more.

Just IMVHO

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Dave

I do this, am one of the guilty ones and can honestly say I don't give it a second thought when I do it - it just seemed like a good place to put the "SOLD" bit, no alterior motive other than letting people know not to waste their time P.M.'ing me for the disc in question, coz it's gorrn!! I feel suitably chastised & will cease this heinious crime as from now!!!

Des

Des; You are my NumberOne Seller :P

Social source share

Nev - it is a price research thing so just another 'tool' to use - and 'yes' i have done said research and found record so PM'd the seller....the reply was 'sold it bewteen £500 and £1000.' not a great help...

but that was on an 'offers' sale so does not apply

Social source share

When you put up a sales list with prices, they are generally what you want to sell them for. Buyers might have a different opinion of what they want to buy them for. Sometimes you reach agreement.

When you sell a record off a list it is a deal between you and the buyer, not an exercise in setting selling prices.

So when a record is sold, mark it as SOLD. It is nobody else's business what the agreed price was.

Paul - the reasoning behind my first post was to use the sales section of SS as 'just' another tool in knowing what price a record has gone for. I am speaking only for me (but others will probably feel the same) - i do not give a flying shit who has paid what for what; just nice to have some data of what a 45 has been up for - and it doesnt mean a frig if it was 12 or 24 months ago, it is just a part of the reasoning process.

AND those that really think that hiding a price when sole will protect the buyer - PMLFFS; who really cares -. the only exclusion to this if one wife/g'friernd/b'friend/husband/partner etc

so when you sell a record do you keep the price a secret until itys sold; and then secretise it more??

Social source share

Just IMVHO

Cheers

Paul

if they sold it for a fiver/tenner less than the list price that's fine but why not leave the price that it was listed at. Like Dave says this is purely a research tool. So many posts asking for a value when it could be under their nose all the time.

Social source share

Agreed !!! most people don't want people to know what price they have paid for a record especially if they got it at a bargain price!! it could effect the resale of said item :thumbsup: ATB John :lol:

How are people going to know what you have brought,other than the seller and you unless you or the seller tell`s them??,if this is the case can you or anyone other than the seller tell me what record i brought of here last week

and how much i paid? :thumbup::hatsoff2:

Dave f.........

Social source share

Would it be a good idea to have a 'Source-Sike' section? Sold prices as a reference tool?

P:)

Give that man a medal!!

Great idea and could be fairly simple to implement

prob with stuff like this is after an all singing all dancing such feature - you would have to get everyone to enter details/data in a structured seperate format

however you can do a "roll your own"

just hit the advanced icon (cog) next to the search box at top right of every page

choose sales forum to search

enter 45 title or artist you are after (can use double quotes)

and away you go

(the search listing now also has a handy "thread preview" gadget - which avoids having to open the post to see results)

Social source share

prob with stuff like this is after an all singing all dancing such feature - you would have to get everyone to enter details/data in a structured seperate format

however you can do a "roll your own"

just hit the advanced icon (cog) next to the search box at top right of every page

choose sales forum to search

enter 45 title or artist you are after (can use double quotes)

and away you go

(the search listing now also has a handy "thread preview" gadget - which avoids having to open the post to see results)

it doesn't work if people delete sold record prices...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!