Evolution, Burgess Hall, St Ives, 24/7

Guest Catfish

Guest Catfish

How much quality soul & RnB can you pack into 3 rooms in 6 hours?! One of my friends commented 'I think this should be a niter', and with the line-up Dave Hayden amassed, probably yes.. but that would need the general travelling-to-niters, soul cognoscenti to relinquish their prejudices against the Cambridgeshire soul scene.. can that happen?!

I used to view Evo. main room as an oldies do and spend the whole evening, pretty much, in the modern room. Last night with quality sets from Len Dopson, Carl Fortnum, Dave Thorley and Karl Heard, this was no longer the case. Rarities such as John Bowie, Don Varner & Betty Lloyd came thick and fast, I am sorry I cannot remember lots of tracks! Many I did not know and danced to anyway cause they were good. A smattering of the very popular funky soul genre was dropped in e.g. Dave Thorley played 'The Man(Masterplan) and quite a few people danced. Thanks Karl for playing the Notations! You said 'they hated it'! BUT people did dance.. not just me :lol:. Nice plays from Roger inc the Carnival track 'I caught you in a lie'.. can't remember artist..

I popped into the RnB room and practised my version of the Stroll for a while.. nice bit of music from Jamie.. nice chap and good taste with it. My modern room session was not .. well, hardly at all, this time.. caught a bit of Chris Brown's latin influenced stuff (love that!) and that was it!

I was too busy dancing to the EXCELLENT soul being played in the main room. Too many close & special friends to mention; and met some new ones too; it was made an even better night by seeing them & feeling that warm friendly feeling! Ahhh!! Good atmosphere in this venue as ever.

It's an ambitious change of direction from David from popular 60's northern DJs to more of an emphasis (well, 100% emphasis) on quality, rare & upfront sounds, with more mid-tempo and tracks to really get get your heart & feet into, not just pound you into the ground... but, there were still enough well-known uptempo tracks to entertain everyone. I think his confidence is to be applauded and he should stick to his guns. People travelled to this one who wouldn't normally. They could have gone to a London night but they chose this. Plus remember Bishopswood was on too.. there are enough popular oldies nights in this area, David you are now filling a gap; keep at it. more people will come when they realise what you are doing. Thanks & well done. :hatsoff2:

Edited by Catfish
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Steven Whitby

Great review and says it all really

This is a must have on any events calender and will go on to be as legendary as the venue

Top line up and a great crowd

Edited by Steven Whitby

How much quality soul & RnB can you pack into 3 rooms in 6 hours?! One of my friends commented 'I think this should be a niter', and with the line-up Dave Hayden amassed, probably yes.. but that would need the general travelling-to-niters, soul cognoscenti to relinquish their prejudices against the Cambridgeshire soul scene.. can that happen?!

I used to view Evo. main room as an oldies do and spend the whole evening, pretty much, in the modern room. Last night with quality sets from Len Dopson, Carl Fortnum, Dave Thorley and Karl Heard, this was no longer the case. Rarities such as John Bowie, Don Varner & Betty Lloyd came thick and fast, I am sorry I cannot remember lots of tracks! Many I did not know and danced to anyway cause they were good. A smattering of the very popular funky soul gentre was dropped in e.g. Dave Thorley played 'The Man(Masterplan) and quite a few people danced. Thanks Karl for playing the Notations! You said 'they hated it'! BUT people did dance.. not just me :lol:. Nice plays from Roger inc the Carnival track 'I caught you in a lie'.. can't remember artist..

I popped into the RnB room and practised my version of the Stroll for a while.. nice bit of music from Jamie.. nice chap and good taste with it. My mod'ern room session was not .. well, hardly at all, this time.. caught a bit of Chris Brown's latin influenced stuff (love that!) and that was it!

I was too busy dancing to the EXCELLENT soul being played in the main room. Too many close & special friends to mention; and met some new ones too; it was made an even better night by seeing them & feeling that warm friendly feeling! Ahhh!! Good atmosphere in this venue as ever.

It's an ambitious change of direction from David from popular 60's northern DJs to more of an emphasis (well, 100% emphasis) on quality, rare & upfront sounds, with more mid-tempo and tracks to really get get your heart & feet into, not just pound you into the ground... but, there were still enough well-known uptempo tracks to entertain everyone. I think his confidence is to be applauded and he should stick to his guns. People travelled to this one who wouldn't normally. They could have gone to a London night but they chose this. Plus remember Bishopswood was on too.. there are enough popular oldies nights in this area, David you are now filling a gap; keep at it. more people will come when they realise what you are doing. Thanks & well done. :hatsoff2:

Wow, id have gone if id known, as the last one i went to was all oldies! Sounds great! Hope he sticks to his guns. Glad to see Prince Geno getting response (if thats the masterplan you mean)...keep it up.

Wow, id have gone if id known, as the last one i went to was all oldies! Sounds great! Hope he sticks to his guns. Glad to see Prince Geno getting response (if thats the masterplan you mean)...keep it up.

Sorry Paul, no it was Four Real Inc. Great night in all rooms, as stated above. I've already said I'd be happy to come back next year, great night David, well done

Dave

Guest bdesoul

To those people who missed this one, well what can I say. Music was top drawer and every DJ pulled out all the stops. Heard some new stuff which haven't got a clue who the artists were or the tile of the track but hey who needs a name to dance to superb sounds. This had it all including some oldies which are underplayed. Had a brilliant time! Thanks Dave for a great night and thanks to all the DJ's.

Think Michelle summed it up very well .... I took a couple of friends who are really staunch oldies fans and they danced in the r'n'b room (a first for them) AND in the main room to loads of stuff they didn't know. When things like that happen it can only be a good thing. Not too many oldies and some excellent plays from all the dj's I managed to hear. Big Jon and Roger Banks were both fantastic in the r'n'b room but I missed Sam unfortunately.Top night even though numbers slighty down.

Musically a very good night - overall couldn't fault it. I spent time both in the northern and modern rooms, and both had some excellent music. Really pleased with the reaction to the new Incognito and Ricci Benson "So in love"

Good to catch up with lots of people I don't see enough of as well. Keep at it Dave.

Edited by Steve G
Guest Garry-C

Great night, great music, great people sums it all up really, spent most of my time in the main room and danced more than I have for a while as the music was top class and the dj's performed admirably. Nearly missed the Harvey Averne Dozern-Never learned to dance, as I was just coming out of the little boys room when Karl started playing it but I got to the floor to catch three quarters of it so I was well pleased with that result.

The first post by Michele described the night in detail and I echo her sentiments and would like to add my thanks to David and the dj's and hope you carry on in this vein as i for one will definately be there again.

Garry Cotterell

Guest Catfish

..< Nearly missed the Harvey Averne Dozern-Never learned to dance, as I was just coming out of the little boys room when Karl started playing it but I got to the floor to catch three quarters of it so I was well pleased with that result.>...

Garry Cotterell

Yay, top track, thanks for reminding, one I subconsciously knew what it is and now have just had it belting off Utube out my hifi speakers so will not forget again! It has EVERYTHING! Breat to see you two and hope to see you up this way again.. :lol:

M

What can you say -the venue you wont find better in the Country well I never have

The music great night - number were down cant understand why personnely (Holiday season)with the line up with music to suit everyones taste

with three rooms

Tracks of the night that stick in my mind if you like rare soul Don Gardner,Vondells,Gwen Owens, Don Varner Timmie Williams & Patrinell Staten

Well done Dave keep at it

What can you say -the venue you wont find better in the Country well I never have

The music great night - number were down cant understand why personnely (Holiday season)with the line up with music to suit everyones taste

with three rooms

Tracks of the night that stick in my mind if you like rare soul Don Gardner,Vondells,Gwen Owens, Don Varner Timmie Williams & Patrinell Staten

Well done Dave keep at it

I agree about the venue, still looks in good shape, unlike many council owned places. Think the problem there is that they (the council) are having a laugh with the rent they want to charge.

Guest AndyL

I used to view Evo. main room as an oldies do and spend the whole evening, pretty much, in the modern room. Last night with quality sets from Len Dopson, Carl Fortnum, Dave Thorley and Karl Heard, this was no longer the case. Rarities such as John Bowie, Don Varner & Betty Lloyd came thick and fast, I am sorry I cannot remember lots of tracks! Many I did not know and danced to anyway cause they were good. A smattering of the very popular funky soul genre was dropped in e.g. Dave Thorley played 'The Man(Masterplan) and quite a few people danced. Thanks Karl for playing the Notations! You said 'they hated it'! BUT people did dance.. not just me :lol:. Nice plays from Roger inc the Carnival track 'I caught you in a lie'.. can't remember artist..

I popped into the RnB room and practised my version of the Stroll for a while.. nice bit of music from Jamie.. nice chap and good taste with it. My modern room session was not .. well, hardly at all, this time.. caught a bit of Chris Brown's latin influenced stuff (love that!) and that was it!

It's an ambitious change of direction from David from popular 60's northern DJs to more of an emphasis (well, 100% emphasis) on quality, rare & upfront sounds, with more mid-tempo and tracks to really get get your heart & feet into, not just pound you into the ground... but, there were still enough well-known uptempo tracks to entertain everyone. I think his confidence is to be applauded and he should stick to his guns. People travelled to this one who wouldn't normally. They could have gone to a London night but they chose this. Plus remember Bishopswood was on too.. there are enough popular oldies nights in this area, David you are now filling a gap; keep at it. more people will come when they realise what you are doing. Thanks & well done. :lol:

yeah totally agree fantastic night having been a regular at the venue in th 70's was a nice change to hear different tunes. Well done to Dave and all who helped. Fantastic night

Andy