Event Threads And Lookbacks

As a joint promoter, I often wonder how we manage to always fill our venues, yet hardly make a ripple on the surface of the Events Threads whilst other promoters run page after page of pre event hype that ends up with only a handful of attendees. Do we really take any notice and does it influence where we go if an event thread is very busy? Personally, I tend to look in the previous Lookback thread to see what sort of revue the event has had from anyone other than the Promoters and DJs. Does anyone else do the same?

During our nights, I talk to a lot of people and it is surprising how many either do not look at Soulsource or only look as guests and therefore don't contribute. Maybe the more exclusive the event then the higher percentage of members from here attend? Any thoughts?

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest smudgesmith

As a joint promoter, I often wonder how we manage to always fill our venues, yet hardly make a ripple on the surface of the Events Threads whilst other promoters run page after page of pre event hype that ends up with only a handful of attendees. Do we really take any notice and does it influence where we go if an event thread is very busy? Personally, I tend to look in the previous Lookback thread to see what sort of revue the event has had from anyone other than the Promoters and DJs. Does anyone else do the same?

During our nights, I talk to a lot of people and it is surprising how many either do not look at Soulsource or only look as guests and therefore don't contribute. Maybe the more exclusive the event then the higher percentage of members from here attend? Any thoughts?

I know where your coming from Steve...................the look backs,for me are a constant source of amusement.There are lots of events that i have attended and after reading the look backs I don't think we could have been at the same venue.

Also as you say a lot of attendees perhaps are not members of SS,or if they are just cant be bothered to post for fear of ridicule.

Social source share

I know where your coming from Steve...................the look backs,for me are a constant source of amusement.There are lots of events that i have attended and after reading the look backs I don't think we could have been at the same venue.

Also as you say a lot of attendees perhaps are not members of SS,or if they are just cant be bothered to post for fear of ridicule.

Couldn't agree more! And yes, I do think people don't post as much now because of some of the venom that has come their way in the past.

Social source share

I tend to look in the previous Lookback thread to see what sort of revue the event has had from anyone other than the Promoters and DJs. Does anyone else do the same?

yep thats exactly what i do, i also keep my ear very close to the ground, and listen to the paying public who normally give a true reflection of the night, attendance figures, music played etc. Some of the comments do make me chuckle especially after you`ve had these reportsthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

am smiling as the majority of posters in this thread seem to be involved in promoting

reckon ya missing the point of the event forums

events forum is a place for members to talk with each other about events they plan to go to or have been

sure guess it can be used as a promotional tool

however would say that rather than discussing and comparing other threads views/hits or checking how valid lookbacks are and all the rest

perhaps the best way is to leave all that sh*te at the door

and just use it as a quick, friendly way to communicate with fellow soul fans !

Social source share

Seems to have worked quite well here on a thread you commented on & also DJ'd at.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/133762-higham-wmc-northants/

Could always just not bother posting your event up if no one takes any notice & most folks at your night don't look on Soul Source as you claim.

Social source share

I personally think the events section on here is vital and has probably over taken the need for flyers to a certain extent, certainly gets the word out to a larger audience on here than flyers could.

Many local venues that are established maybe don't need to do as much leg work as they probably have an established set of attendees who maybe don't stray too far from home turf anyway.

Usually find those that are struggling make the most "noise".

Don't think the nighter side of it is too bad on here with pre event hype, usually the soul nights and that hopefully will change when the soul nights section goes the same way as the nighter section.

Social source share

Seems to have worked quite well here on a thread you commented on & also DJ'd at.

https://www.soul-sour...-wmc-northants/

Could always just not bother posting your event up if no one takes any notice & most folks at your night don't look on Soul Source as you claim.

Good point! Interestingly though, that was a lookback. As I said before, I tend to look at these before I decide to visit a venue. My other point is that lots of people look on here but only as guests. For us it is very important to put out our information through this media, as well as our other forms of promotion. I suspect that for our local events it helps put a few on the door but for our main 'Pembo' nights it brings a lot of travelling support from all over.

Also Chalky makes a good point that nighters are very different and I do think a much higher percentage of attendees are regulars on here.

With regard to Mikes point, whilst there is often good friendly banter about who might be going etc, the Pre Event threads are definitely used by the organisers as promotional tools to reach a wider audience. In no way am I having a swipe at SS, in fact I think it is the only way to keep in touch with what's going on across the Country. I'm sure, like me, when people have a free weekend, they browse the forums on a Thursday or Friday night thinking where they might go over the weekend.

Social source share

I personally think the events section on here is vital and has probably over taken the need for flyers to a certain extent, certainly gets the word out to a larger audience on here than flyers could.

Many local venues that are established maybe don't need to do as much leg work as they probably have an established set of attendees who maybe don't stray too far from home turf anyway.

Don't think the nighter side of it is too bad on here with pre event hype, usually the soul nights and that hopefully will change when the soul nights section goes the same way as the nighter section.

Rarely go out to gigs nowadays so extremely helpful for me when i'm heading home to visit family. nothing going on local down here in plymouth so a quick look in events before a trip back to dorset and i can see if anything is on.

I was heading back to visit family next saturday and would have arrived early evening - however, a quick look in events shows a local gig on (bournemouth railway club) so was able to re-arrange travel to arrive late friday night so i can attend this event on the saturday; worked for me as a 'flyer' :thumbsup:

Social source share

I personally think the events section on here is vital and has probably over taken the need for flyers to a certain extent,

Together with Facebook I'd agree.

Is there any need for flyers at all these days?

Maybe another thread there.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Together with Facebook I'd agree.

Is there any need for flyers at all these days?

Maybe another thread there.. :hatsoff2:

There's still plenty of people out there who don't use a PC, or should I say face-book and soul source so you still have to get the message across to these, not flyering could come across as complacency.

We had a discussion about flyers a while back.

Social source share

There's still plenty of people out there who don't use a PC, or should I say face-book and soul source so you still have to get the message across to these, not flyering could come across as complacency.

We had a discussion about flyers a while back.

Well they're good for mopping up beer if nothing else!

Think they've had their day though and in time will gradually disappear.. Same could be said for some us & indeed the ns scene! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Think they've had their day though and in time will gradually disappear.. Same could be said for some us & indeed the ns scene! :hatsoff2:

well I'd prefer to see flyers on a table in the entrance to a venue, at least the promoter can take back the ones left at the end of the night. Saves on all the cleaning up too.

Social source share

Think they've had their day though and in time will gradually disappear.. Same could be said for some us & indeed the ns scene! :thumbsup:

True Simsy,if they are single sided they are good for writing phone numbers/tracks etc on.

Flyers can work in a personal,Face 2 Face way (stuffing them in the hand of the unsuspecting:lol: ).Or you can get a negative,but silent response.(how dare you flyer near me,and suggest where i go!!!:hatsoff2: ).

Lots of work goes into flyer design etc,work is created for printers etc...be a shame to see it disappear.....and the internet take over completely.

Social source share

True Simsy,if they are single sided they are good for writing phone numbers/tracks etc on.

Flyers can work in a personal,Face 2 Face way (stuffing them in the hand of the unsuspecting:lol: ).Or you can get a negative,but silent response.(how dare you flyer near me,and suggest where i go!!!:thumbsup: ).

Lots of work goes into flyer design etc,work is created for printers etc...be a shame to see it disappear.....and the internet take over completely.

depends how they are done :yes:

I made the Riverside/Glouscester gigs & All-nighter posters for Mike Eskins in a format so that minimum effort is needed to change them for each event.

They are all the same so 'punters' will recognise they are Riverside/Gloucester nighter gigs and all Mike Eskins has to do is type in the new date & dj's each time; about 3 minutes work that even my mum could do :hatsoff2:

Social source share

well I try to make the Lifeline flyers (well supply the info, Mace does the techie bit of putting it together) interesting and maybe a bit collectable by using a different artist for the background. Few of the artists featured I doubt many have seen before. Betty Lloyd being one.

Here's the latest....Clifford Binns the featured artist.

post-225-046768000 1280159347_thumb.jpg

Flyers still have their place on the scene but they are not the necessity they once were.

post-225-046768000 1280159347_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I made the Riverside/Glouscester gigs & All-nighter posters for Mike Eskins in a format so that minimum effort is needed to change them for each event.

They are all the same so 'punters' will recognise they are Riverside/Gloucester nighter gigs and all Mike Eskins has to do is type in the new date & dj's each time; about 3 minutes work that even my mum could do :hatsoff2:

:thumbsup: Much appreciated too Mike

Social source share

They are all the same so 'punters' will recognise they are Riverside/Gloucester nighter gigs and all Mike Eskins has to do is type in the new date & dj's each time; about 3 minutes work that even my mum could do :lol:

Off topic i know,but Mike, most flyers once up and running only change the dates/dj's.Only 3 minutes work?.Soul Police Alert.!!:yes:

Back to JohnMc's post (MPTP) - you are spot on John,but as long as sites such as SS offer a chance for publicity ,and venues are trying there damnedest to get noticed,there's a lot of bollcks talked on Events and Lookbacks.I should know.:D

Also there's folks,like myself,who follow certain venue threads,but have never been.A feeling of association?

Social source share

Pretty much bang on with your views on this Chalks, as you say those struggling beat the drum the harder and louder than all the others.

As for flyers, how many have we seen that actually advertise more than their own event?.

Less paper also!. Certainly gets the green vote from me.:lol::yes: :yes:

ROY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!