** Eddie Spencer - If This Is Love (Arc) **

Eddie Spencer's version of the Precisions' If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) came out on the Canadian Arc label.

Eddie's release has an interesting combination of Toronto and Detroit credits (see scan)

Anybody know the story behind the recording please?

I had assumed the Detroit backing track was just re-used - hence the Mike Terry credit for arrangement - and that Eddie's voice was put on top in the Toronto studio

Can anyone confirm please?

Plus, is this generally thought of as a Toronto or a Detroit record (e.g. I would not have though of the Stemmons Express 'Woman Love Thief' as a Detroit 45 even though it re-uses the Presicions' backing track to 'Such Misery')?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Richard

post-12286-054639100 1280069151_thumb.jp

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

there was a great informative piece on this and background info on the whole toronto/detroit thing on net a few years ago on an obscure (maybe candian ?) site

can never find it now, so taking its disappeared unless anyone knows better ?

the uk power exchange release had what think was a previous unreleased flip - power of love think was the title or something similar? could there have been more recordings?

Social source share

there was a great informative piece on this and background info on the whole toronto/detroit thing on net a few years ago on an obscure (maybe candian ?) site

can never find it now, so taking its disappeared unless anyone knows better ?

the uk power exchange release had what think was a previous unreleased flip - power of love think was the title or something similar? could there have been more recordings?

Nice one Mike - cheers :thumbsup:

Would like to have seen that website - anyone got any more info on it please?

Also, can anyone post up the flip to the Power Exchange 45 please? It's different to the Arc release and is not in Refosoul

Thanks! :lol:

Richard

Social source share

Also, can anyone post up the flip to the Power Exchange 45 please? It's different to the Arc release and is not in Refosoul

Thanks! :yes:

Richard

HI RICHARD, ACCORDING TO MANSHIPS BOOK ITS;" POWER OF LOVE" WHICH IS DIFFERENT THAN "YOUR SO GOOD TO ME" WHICH IS THE CANADIAN ARC "A" SIDE. HOPE THIS HELPS. :lol: ATB JOHN.

Social source share

Thanks! :lol:

Richard

got the pe 45 somewhere - but cant do it for a bit

if no joy give us a nudge

good track not great but ok

back to the a side, there's also the "geno washington" unreleased uk version

think the background has been documented recently ainit ?

can't remember how that come about , anyone refresh us ?

on toronto site

everytime comes up i have a dig, but no joy

done it again and no joy

but this time spotted a what to me is very interesting cd, that aint seen before from 2006

also a 34 page booklet

Jamaica to Toronto: Soul Funk and Reggae 1967-1974

rom All Music Guide:

Canada had a sizable resettled West Indian population by the 1960s, particularly in the Toronto area, making it a destination stop for touring Jamaican musicians, many of whom decided to relocate there, and a vibrant scene that mixed Jamaican rhythms with Northern R&B, soul and funk grew up around them, a scene that was essentially hidden from the rest of the world. This wonderful sampler of rare period singles from assorted Canadian labels lifts the veil on all of that to reveal music with an uncommon energy and vitality, and the real wonder here is that these tracks weren't massive international hits. Side after side bristles with a funky brilliance, beginning with Jo-Jo and the Fugitives' rough and ragged "Fugitive Song," originally released in 1968 on Cobra Records, followed immediately by Eddie Spencer's impressive "If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely)," which sounds like a great and long lost Motown single. The Cougars' stark nyahbinghi take on the Temptations' "I Wish It Would Rain" is a stunning reconstruction of the song, and it is amazing to learn that this version was never even been released. Once heard, the Cougars' version makes the Temptations original -- great as it is -- sound oddly uninspired. It is important to note here that most of these tracks aren't necessarily reggae, falling more to the hard soul side of the spectrum, and the best of them are delightfully energetic hybrids which, like the Cougars' "I Wish It Would Rain," work both sides of the fence in an impressive synthesis, Count Ossie meets Motown if you will. Great stuff. ~ Steve Leggett

Artist Time Price

1. Fugitive Song Jo-Jo And The Fugitives 2:47 $0.89

2. If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) Eddie Spencer 2:49 $0.89

3. Chips - Chicken - Banana Split Jo-Jo And The Fugitives 2:22 $0.89

4. Grand Funk Jackie Mittoo 2:58 $0.89

5. Together Lloyd Delpratt 2:33 $0.89

6. I Wish It Would Rain Cougars 4:35 $0.89

7. African Wake Johnnie Osbourne 2:42 $0.89

8. Love Is The Answer Ram 2:40 $0.89

9. I Believe In Music Bob And Wisdom 4:42 $0.89

10. Eternal Love The Sheiks 3:07 $0.89

11. Fire (She Need Water) Wayne McGhie And The Sounds Of Joy 3:37 $0.89

12. Right On Cougars 2:50 $0.89

13. You're So Good To Me Baby Eddie Spencer 2:38 $0.89

14. Mr. Fortune The Hitch-Hikers 2:45 $0.89

15. Memories Noel Ellis 6:59 $0.89

16. Here We Go Again Wayne McGhie 3:05 $0.89

Social source share

got the pe 45 somewhere - but cant do it for a bit

if no joy give us a nudge

good track not great but ok

back to the a side, there's also the "geno washington" unreleased uk version

think the background has been documented recently ainit ?

can't remember how that come about , anyone refresh us ?

on toronto site

everytime comes up i have a dig, but no joy

done it again and no joy

but this time spotted a what to me is very interesting cd, that aint seen before from 2006

also a 34 page booklet

Jamaica to Toronto: Soul Funk and Reggae 1967-1974

rom All Music Guide:

Canada had a sizable resettled West Indian population by the 1960s, particularly in the Toronto area, making it a destination stop for touring Jamaican musicians, many of whom decided to relocate there, and a vibrant scene that mixed Jamaican rhythms with Northern R&B, soul and funk grew up around them, a scene that was essentially hidden from the rest of the world. This wonderful sampler of rare period singles from assorted Canadian labels lifts the veil on all of that to reveal music with an uncommon energy and vitality, and the real wonder here is that these tracks weren't massive international hits. Side after side bristles with a funky brilliance, beginning with Jo-Jo and the Fugitives' rough and ragged "Fugitive Song," originally released in 1968 on Cobra Records, followed immediately by Eddie Spencer's impressive "If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely)," which sounds like a great and long lost Motown single. The Cougars' stark nyahbinghi take on the Temptations' "I Wish It Would Rain" is a stunning reconstruction of the song, and it is amazing to learn that this version was never even been released. Once heard, the Cougars' version makes the Temptations original -- great as it is -- sound oddly uninspired. It is important to note here that most of these tracks aren't necessarily reggae, falling more to the hard soul side of the spectrum, and the best of them are delightfully energetic hybrids which, like the Cougars' "I Wish It Would Rain," work both sides of the fence in an impressive synthesis, Count Ossie meets Motown if you will. Great stuff. ~ Steve Leggett

Artist Time Price

1. Fugitive Song Jo-Jo And The Fugitives 2:47 $0.89

2. If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) Eddie Spencer 2:49 $0.89

3. Chips - Chicken - Banana Split Jo-Jo And The Fugitives 2:22 $0.89

4. Grand Funk Jackie Mittoo 2:58 $0.89

5. Together Lloyd Delpratt 2:33 $0.89

6. I Wish It Would Rain Cougars 4:35 $0.89

7. African Wake Johnnie Osbourne 2:42 $0.89

8. Love Is The Answer Ram 2:40 $0.89

9. I Believe In Music Bob And Wisdom 4:42 $0.89

10. Eternal Love The Sheiks 3:07 $0.89

11. Fire (She Need Water) Wayne McGhie And The Sounds Of Joy 3:37 $0.89

12. Right On Cougars 2:50 $0.89

13. You're So Good To Me Baby Eddie Spencer 2:38 $0.89

14. Mr. Fortune The Hitch-Hikers 2:45 $0.89

15. Memories Noel Ellis 6:59 $0.89

16. Here We Go Again Wayne McGhie 3:05 $0.89

GOT MINE CHEAP BUT NOT 0.89CENTS CHEAP :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Have tried to upload b side using refo soul but keep getting error message :thumbsup: dont know whats going on sorry Mike.Power Exchange b side written by Eddie a R&B ish but not the best imo

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Jamaican singer based in Canada. I think I am right in saying he laid the vocals over pre-existing backings which were recorded in Detroit (according to the booklet that comes with the above-mentioned CD, which is great, by the way...)

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Nice one Mike - cheers :hatsoff2:

Thanks! :yes:

Richard

Refosoul is down at the moment I'll post "Power Of Love' it as soon as it is back up.

Scan to be going on with.

eddiespencerpoweroflove.jpg

David :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did the flip, "You're So Good to Me Baby," come out in any other form, as "If This Is Love" did?

Can't someone please answer my question? I know the Precisions do "If This Is Love" with the same backing track, but is there another version of the flip of the Eddie Spencer anywhere?

Social source share

Can't someone please answer my question? I know the Precisions do "If This Is Love" with the same backing track, but is there another version of the flip of the Eddie Spencer anywhere?

There might ofcourse be one, but I have never heard of another version of "You're So Good To Me Baby". By far the better tune of the two on that Eddie Spencer 45 in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Thanks for all the responses guys - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Still not got a clear answer to my original question - probably because I hid it away in the thread title :D

Basically I'm just wondering whether the Eddie Spencer 45 is considered a legit Detroit record and so worthy of a place in a Detroit collection - or is it (like Stemmons Express) really a non-Detroit record that just hapens to have a borrowed Detroit backing?

For instance, as basically a Detroit collector should I keep or get rid of mine, and could I play it in a 'Detroit' spot?

Fun and games :D

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Thanks for all the responses guys - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Still not got a clear answer to my original question - probably because I hid it away in the thread title :D

Basically I'm just wondering whether the Eddie Spencer 45 is considered a legit Detroit record and so worthy of a place in a Detroit collection - or is it (like Stemmons Express) really a non-Detroit record that just hapens to have a borrowed Detroit backing?

For instance, as basically a Detroit collector should I keep or get rid of mine, and could I play it in a 'Detroit' spot?

Fun and games :D

Cheers

Think you would be ok to stick it into a detroit spot, but why not play the proper detroit and better version imho The Precisions.........its an awesome tune!!

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!