• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sassy.

If you check the Sassy issue it rightly credits Billy Jackson as the writer whereas the later Gamble issue credits........err Mr Gamble.

Regards,

Dave

CHEERS DAVE!! ANOTHER ONE DROPPED BY YOURS TRULY HAD BOTH IN EVERY FORMAT AND YOU CAN GUESS WHICH WAS SAVED DOH!! THANKS AGAIN ATB JOHN :lol:

Social source share

CHEERS DAVE!! ANOTHER ONE DROPPED BY YOURS TRULY HAD BOTH IN EVERY FORMAT AND YOU CAN GUESS WHICH WAS SAVED DOH!! THANKS AGAIN ATB JOHN :lol:

Quite a big thread on this, Look at your box, Sharp end of vinyl,

makes good reading, :yes:

Social source share

The record was made and owned by Billy Jackson's company "Black & White Music".

Billy owned the Sassy label and pressed up "If That's What You Wanted" on Sassy.

He did not distribute many copies because Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff heard it early doors, and did a deal with Billy to licence the record to come out on their Gamble label,.

Part of the arrangement was that he did not spoil their sales by selling his Sassy copies.

God bless him he did not throw them away - so when I visted him in his apartment in New York in 1978 (?) there were 800 plus copies there still in the original boxes from the manufacturers, and he sold them all to me.

What I do not understand is why he pressed some copies with "This Is Just A B Side" on the flip and some with "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)". I probably asked him at the time but cannot remember.

The Gamble copies are harder to get than the Sassy ones aren't they?

And Billy originally cut "If That's What You Wanted" in doo-wop style on another artist.

Neil

Social source share

Billy owned the Sassy label and pressed up "If That's What You Wanted" on Sassy.

He did not distribute many copies because Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff heard it early doors, and did a deal with Billy to licence the record to come out on their Gamble label,.

Part of the arrangement was that he did not spoil their sales by selling his Sassy copies.

God bless him he did not throw them away - so when I visted him in his apartment in New York in 1978 (?) there were 800 plus copies there still in the original boxes from the manufacturers, and he sold them all to me.

What I do not understand is why he pressed some copies with "This Is Just A B Side" on the flip and some with "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)". I probably asked him at the time but cannot remember.

And Billy originally cut "If That's What You Wanted" in doo-wop style on another artist.

Neil

:thumbsup: HI ALL!..NICE ONE NEIL..THEMS WOZ THE DAZE! I GOT MY 1st SASSY FROM "THE SCOTCHMAN" JOHN ANDERSON, IN 75 FOR £3.50, ALWAYS POPULAR PRE - WIGAN AND ON WARDS, THIS TO ME TYPIFIES THE WOLVES/STOKE/CREWE STOMPING NORTHERN SOUL SOUND, AND I AIN'T BOTHERD THAT TO-DAY THAT MY ONLY COPY IS ON OUT OF THE PAST, YOUR COMMENTS PUT IT ALL IN PERSPECTIVE AS BEING RARER! HOWEVER NOT AS RARE AS THE GAMBLE ISSUE AND THE MOST WANTED GAMBLE DEMO!! AM I CORRECT IN THINKING THERE WAS A SASSY DEMO?..AND FOR THE RECORD (NO PUN) THE PUREST SOUL COLLECTOR WOULD GIVE YOU NOTHING FOR THE LIBERTY BELL BOOT, AND THE OOTP COPY LIKE ALL THE RELEASES APPEALS TO COLLECTORS OF UK LABELS! WE OWE CHRIS BURTON FOR THE RUN OF GREAT RECORDS THAT WAS, OUT OF THE PAST.yes.gif YOUR OTHER POINT NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED AS IT HAS BUGGED ME SINCE LATE 77/8.TRY AND REMEMBER CHUM!!!PLEASE.ph34r.gif DAVE KIL (WOLVES THATS NORTH OF WAT FORD)

Social source share

The Italiano Gamble must be quiet rare then so what happened to the Gamble deal then. TIA :lol:

:lol: NICE ONE! WHAT IS THE GOING RATE OF ALL ISSUES AND DEMOS? INCLUDING BOOTS AND PRESSINGS ALSO A DEFINITIVE LIST OF RARITIES:ph34r: DAVE (THANKS FOR PUTTING UP PHOTO) KIL

post-13241-013576800 1280454519_thumb.jp

post-13241-013576800 1280454519_thumb.jp

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Neil

Thanks Neil, So Keeping The Gamble One Wasn't Such A Bad Move eh ?? :lol::huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!