Carlton Club Normanton Friday Nights

used to go here i think around 1990 -2 as ofte as poss can't really remember cos i was shit faced every time i went,straight home from work bath( got a lift there every time) :lol: hee hee but bloody hell nobut a £1 in it could have even been 50p but i may have paid for lift:thumbsup: what aclub it was where i met John Britton,Mouse ,Pele,Blake Helliwell,Kev Johnson people i consider friends ever sinceand many other dedicated open minded collectors who dj ed there,what about the sounds played there long before going big and the diverse range they played you could here stuff like The Fascinators-"in other words"-to Mandrill-"my kind of girl" in the same spot cheap beer fucking top quality music and a bloody chance to win a raffle for a £1 recession busters or what,seriously this club must have been one of the best you could go to at the time also the warm ups to Wilton were fantastic too

ps musnt forget the ladies on the door Denise etc apologies to anyone i forgot

give this club thumbs up any of you that went

atb

dave longy

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

used to go here i think around 1990 -2 as ofte as poss can't really remember cos i was shit faced every time i went,straight home from work bath( got a lift there every time) :yes: hee hee but bloody hell nobut a £1 in it could have even been 50p but i may have paid for lift:thumbsup: what aclub it was where i met John Britton,Mouse ,Pele,Blake Helliwell,Kev Johnson people i consider friends ever sinceand many other dedicated open minded collectors who dj ed there,what about the sounds played there long before going big and the diverse range they played you could here stuff like The Fascinators-"in other words"-to Mandrill-"my kind of girl" in the same spot cheap beer fucking top quality music and a bloody chance to win a raffle for a £1 recession busters or what,seriously this club must have been one of the best you could go to at the time also the warm ups to Wilton were fantastic too

atb

dave longy

:lol: great place up front foreward thing played some great tunes then on to wilton,those were the days regards johno

Social source share

Bub & Myself used to DJ there regularly and attend at every opportunity with many friends from Barnsley.

Bought sold and played many good tunes there.

Can't remember a single journey home - absolutely & utterley shitfaced (especially if we won raffle)

It was a great night out.

Social source share

Bub & Myself used to DJ there regularly and attend at every opportunity with many friends from Barnsley.

Can't remember a single journey home - absolutely & utterley shitfaced (especially if we won raffle)

Shitfaced :thumbsup: somethings dont change Dek

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

I DJ,d a couple of times there it was brill a typical workin man club cheap ale ruff as owt and the music was at times mindblowin anyone remember the other place down the road the Greyhound stadium i think it was when i did a spot there it took me n Canada Kev ages to find the place this owd bloke we asked for directions pointed to a light in the field and said

thats it lad ur theer yon hut he he

Social source share

Meat raffle if i remember right with no vegi alternative laugh.gif t'was good then.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Wondered when someone would mention this great little club,it took over from Pele and Mouse,s first(??) venue --The Rugby Leaguer at Sharlston, I met my wife Rani there in Jan 1989 (but apart from that ,i have nothing but great memories of The Carlton and Hawkhills Club--turn down by the cake shop -off the main road!!).Chuddy,Mouse,Kev Jonno,Ron Pedley,Bruce Carter,Bub,Derek G,John B,Trev T,Sue Warwick,The Holmes,s,Big Sue Gilbert,Billy and Denise,Pat and Lynn Brady, and so many more.One of the best nights was Bub,s birthday--we organised a stripper who covered Bub in squirty cream(it was a big can!!) and a crate of Pils(lager,that is) -a great night,then there was the Xmas fancy dress nights---walking thru the Ghetto,s of Normy with me and Trevor Thomas wearing Pyjamas,Kev Jonno was a gangster(complete with inflateable suit--hard to get up when he fell in a puddle whilst under the influence!!!) I went back there with Trev a few years ago and had a look in the Functio room --and couldn,t believe how small it was!!

Dave and Rose ,and Vince behind the bar and the famous 25 pence meat raffle,me getting dropped offby the side of the dual carriageway at Stourton by the York lot with a pint of Guinness most weeks,i had to take the glass back the following week.At the end it was the forerunner to The Wilton All nighters(which originally had just been tried for a few"late finish do,s).

Great memories of a great little club(and the sessions at peoples houses afterward) once at Chuddy,s hose when Bub was reading one of the bairns a bednite story,next day Chuddy was informed that"A giant read me a story"!!!!!

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Almost forgot the following--Cockney Steve(never had any money --but got there every week!!) Geoff Burke( aka Wild Bill Hickock R.I.P.) Graham Ellwood,Dave Ripley,Tommy from Ormskirk,Dave Molloy, even took Dave Rimmer one night as he was visiting at my pub!!

T.C.

Social source share

i saw bub there a few times so i probably bumped into you shit faced as well never won the raffle,but my mate john britton says sometimes it was a pack of ale .....to get more shit faced with lol...great club derek

atb

dave

Social source share

Almost forgot the following--Cockney Steve(never had any money --but got there every week!!) Geoff Burke( aka Wild Bill Hickock R.I.P.) Graham Ellwood,Dave Ripley,Tommy from Ormskirk,Dave Molloy, even took Dave Rimmer one night as he was visiting at my pub!!

T.C.

and we went back to the pub afterwards as well, so consequently, although I remember going to the Carlton Club, I have very little memory of anything else

Social source share

T.C.

Steve is still the same :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

used to go here i think around 1990 -2 as ofte as poss can't really remember cos i was shit faced every time i went,straight home from work bath( got a lift there every time) :yes: hee hee but bloody hell nobut a £1 in it could have even been 50p but i may have paid for lift:thumbsup: what aclub it was where i met John Britton,Mouse ,Pele,Blake Helliwell,Kev Johnson people i consider friends ever sinceand many other dedicated open minded collectors who dj ed there,what about the sounds played there long before going big and the diverse range they played you could here stuff like The Fascinators-"in other words"-to Mandrill-"my kind of girl" in the same spot cheap beer fucking top quality music and a bloody chance to win a raffle for a £1 recession busters or what,seriously this club must have been one of the best you could go to at the time also the warm ups to Wilton were fantastic too

atb

dave longy

Only made it once enroute to the Wilton, from what I remember some good tunes and up for it crew. :D

Hated stoppin off on the way to a nighter, :lol: in fact didn't do that many soul nights, no.gif funny how times change. :D

Tom :rolleyes:

Social source share

T.C.

I remember CS very well : he was a better tapper than Fred Astaire :thumbsup:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I remember CS very well : he was a better tapper than Fred Astaire :lol:

Malc

When we lived in Harrogate ,i told Steve there was a Tapas bar in the town --he came thro several times!!!!

Rani

Social source share

Carlton Club, I went a few times with I think Al Rhodes and the Holmes. I remember Chuddie playing Gil Scott Heron, Lady Day and John Coltrane, top tune Couldn't dance to then and sweat just listen to now. I think he was the first man to play it out, forgive me if I am wrong

Social source share

C.mon where,s every bugger else that used to attend regularly??

T.C.

Me tony, bubs birthday what a scream that was, the stripper was dressed as a police woman if i remember rightly, his face when she walked over, pretended he was in trouble, and then just opened her jacketlaugh.giflaugh.gif great days, great clubthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Me tony, bubs birthday what a scream that was, the stripper was dressed as a police woman if i remember rightly, his face when she walked over, pretended he was in trouble, and then just opened her jacket:lol::hatsoff2: great days, great clubthumbsup.gif

bloody hell forgot all about that night laugh.gif

Social source share

Wasn`t many occasions, bub was lost for words chalky, can still see his face, total shock ohmy.gifohmy.gif

What you may not know H , is that Bub had a visit from the police a few days earlier ...... that is why it freaked him :D

Malc

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

What you may not know H , is that Bub had a visit from the police a few days earlier ...... that is why it freaked him :D

Malc

Malc---he probably thought they,d come to talk to him about a body ,dug up in Wombwell Woods,or a missing Autoglass sales-driver,or a woman locked in the cellar who is supposed to be dead,or a schoolteacher who,s been using someone, else,s identity!!

Barry Norman

Social source share

Malc---he probably thought they,d come to talk to him about a body ,dug up in Wombwell Woods,or a missing Autoglass sales-driver,or a woman locked in the cellar who is supposed to be dead,or a schoolteacher who,s been using someone, else,s identity!!

Barry Norman

:thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Malc----i.m organising an idiots night out ---for people who love soul music but also have a secret fetish for things like young ladies,pencil skirts,suspenders,stilletto heels, etc --we,re all meeting at Sean Hampseys next do on 13 th Nov which just happenens to be my Birthday and our Wedding Anniversary---i think Mr Dewhirst may join us( the southern softie who.s banned from his own town --Mirfield!!!)----Would love to see you there

Barry Norman

Social source share

Malc----i.m organising an idiots night out ---for people who love soul music but also have a secret fetish for things like young ladies,pencil skirts,suspenders,stilletto heels, etc --we,re all meeting at Sean Hampseys next do on 13 th Nov which just happenens to be my Birthday and our Wedding Anniversary---i think Mr Dewhirst may join us( the southern softie who.s banned from his own town --Mirfield!!!)----Would love to see you there

Barry Norman

As i missed the last one through other commitments , I am endeavouring to make sure I will be at Hampsey & Tats' next duck do in November , come hell and high water , and therefore , I will be pleased to join the " Idots' Night Out " .

A night especially " for people who love soul music , but also have a secret fetish for things like young ladies , pencil skirts , suspenders , stilletto heels , etc " ? I have to admit that I have a pencent for an attractive young filly with a trim ankle , but can I give coming along dressed in the pencil skirt , suspenders , and stilletto heels a miss ? I am a tad hesitant in wearing them , as I have not donned these items since 1975 , when I was arrested by the Old Bill for soliciting outside Wombwell British Legion , waiting to go in to a Vicars and Tarts evening .

As for fetishes , ask Dewhirst about the chair suspended from the ceiling of his flat , that he " entertained " young ladies in :thumbsup:

I will bell you Tony .

Malc

Social source share

Barry Norman

Sorry Tony and Malc, I'm not sure thats the proper dress code for our do.

Except for the laaaaaaaaaaaaadies of course!

An small army of cross dressers might upset the larger than life Bully... who is quite sensitive to such activities. :lol:

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Sorry Tony and Malc, I'm not sure thats the proper dress code for our do.

Except for the laaaaaaaaaaaaadies of course!

An small army of cross dressers might upset the larger than life Bully... who is quite sensitive to such activities. :lol:

:lol:

Sean

Not at all Sean, they can wear what they want as long as they leave my arse alone biggrin.gif

The Bulmeister General!

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Malc-----have already checked with Mr.Hampsey --on Nov 13 th it will strictly be in the tradition of the Harlem Shuffle Nights at Clifton Hall --i.e--"NO RIFF -RAFF"!!!

Coronation St/Emmerdale/Eastenders scriptwriters team(like the idea of dressing up near Wombwell club(think we cud use that!!)

Justin Fashanu

Social source share

Malc-----have already checked with Mr.Hampsey --on Nov 13 th it will strictly be in the tradition of the Harlem Shuffle Nights at Clifton Hall --i.e--"NO RIFF -RAFF"!!!

Coronation St/Emmerdale/Eastenders scriptwriters team(like the idea of dressing up near Wombwell club(think we cud use that!!)

Justin Fashanu

Eeeh lad , that takes me back to when Hampsey was a fresh faced youth , and I just had a face .

Thank the Lord that the evening ( too upmarket to be called a " night " ) frowns upon such leisure wear : To paraphrase Groucho Marx , I would have had to seriously think about attending a night that would allow me in dressed like that "

What concerns me now , is that Bully assumes that Tony and I help out with the batting on the other side of the bus .

I can assure you Bully my dear chap - I am more akin to Fred Elliott than Billy :lol: ........

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Eeeh lad , that takes me back to when Hampsey was a fresh faced youth , and I just had a face .

Thank the Lord that the evening ( too upmarket to be called a " night " ) frowns upon such leisure wear : To paraphrase Groucho Marx , I would have had to seriously think about attending a night that would allow me in dressed like that "

What concerns me now , is that Bully assumes that Tony and I help out with the batting on the other side of the bus .

I can assure you Bully my dear chap - I am more akin to Fred Elliott than Billy :yes: ........

Malc

[/A Soul Night on 13 th November ----i say ---A soul Night on 13 th Nov our Ashley--i say--quote]

Social source share

Guest just mo

Gig Reilly & me went over from Cleethorpes a few times before our early forays to Wilton.... (certainly weren't 'regulars' tho..)

Same time-ish as Jim & Soap's Cons Club bashes....

:thumbsup: from me as requested!

Ah yes. I remember it well yes.gif

Dj'd there once with Jim. It was fancy dress night smile.gif

Can recall Anita and i'm pretty sure Wendy too were in fancy dress!!! ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!