Willie Mitchell - The Champion- South African London 45

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's not a 60's issue, it's 70's, same as all the others (except the HI LP and mini LP), was discussed here a very long time ago but it did turn out to be 70's.

SORRY MY MISTAKE ..ITS RED LONDON, OLD SCRIPT UNBOXED WITH A TRI CENTRE ..CERTAINLY LOOKS 60'S

Social source share

Not a foolproff way but if you looked at what was a hit in SA(on London) and compared release numbers that might give you an indication although some numbers may be out of sync. However if you could corralate say half a dozen to the period with very near numbers that might prove the era.

Social source share

As far as I can make out the sleeve is 60s.

I've just been trawling though Google looking up the LP releases mentioned and seemingly they tie in perfectly with the year shown on the record label - 1967.

But thats not even the correct year it was released!

Social source share

As far as I can make out the sleeve is 60s.

I've just been trawling though Google looking up the LP releases mentioned and seemingly they tie in perfectly with the year shown on the record label - 1967.

And that sleeve is late 50's or very early 60's

Social source share

Well I've found a few on the net and they state they are authentic, I remain sceptical just because it wasn't released as a 45 anywhere else so why release it South Africa two years after it's US release?

Bet my German picture sleeve from the 7ts is rarer :D

Social source share

Well I've found a few on the net and they state they are authentic, I remain sceptical just because it wasn't released as a 45 anywhere else so why release it South Africa two years after it's US release?

many songs were released later than country of origin discs...esp tamla motown..even chuck berry & bo diddley on London were released in the UK way after orig release in US...heres what i know..i bought the willie mitchell 45 with a bunch of 45's mostly 60's tamla motown, Atlantic , stateside all on SA ..all were unplayed in original sleeves, at first i thought they were UK for export due to the Dollys record bar stamp on some of the sleeves, however the owner of the warehouse told me he'd bought out Dollys entire when she closed in early 70's.. she had a store in Brixton Hill, a suburb of Johannesburg, NOT BRIXTON HILL London as i'd thought..i'm not trying to big the 45 up..i'm just curious to its release..i had the US LP when it was a biggie at Wigan..but never knew of a 45 45rpm issue apart from the black london release in the 70,s...any info appreciated...

Social source share

One of the songs listed on the sleeve - Lara's Theme by Roger Williams - was written specially for the film Doctor Zhivago. That came out in 1965.

Online, I found a reference to an LP - Loving you is sweeter than ever - by a South African group called The Square Set (GALP 1573). Apparently that was released in 1968 on the Gallotone label, one of many that came out of Gallo Records, the licensed distributor of London Records in South Africa. The GALP release numbers on the sleeve must relate to the same Gallotone label.

So, fairly obviously, if GALP 1573 came out in 1968, then the ones listed on the sleeve, GALP 1442, 1459, 1465 and 1467 were released earlier - but not before Lara's Theme was written in 1965. Further evidence then that the year on the disc is accurate.

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

many songs were released later than country of origin discs...esp tamla motown..even chuck berry & bo diddley on London were released in the UK way after orig release in US...heres what i know..i bought the willie mitchell 45 with a bunch of 45's mostly 60's tamla motown, Atlantic , stateside all on SA ..all were unplayed in original sleeves, at first i thought they were UK for export due to the Dollys record bar stamp on some of the sleeves, however the owner of the warehouse told me he'd bought out Dollys entire when she closed in early 70's.. she had a store in Brixton Hill, a suburb of Johannesburg, NOT BRIXTON HILL London as i'd thought..i'm not trying to big the 45 up..i'm just curious to its release..i had the US LP when it was a biggie at Wigan..but never knew of a 45 45rpm issue apart from the black london release in the 70,s...any info appreciated...

found this on popsike..

NORTHERN SOUL - WILLIE MITCHELL - THE CHAMPION

End price:

USD

End date:

2007-05-04

Start price:

USD

Start date:

2007-04-27

spacer.gifNumber of bids:

Auctioned at:

ebay

Great Britain

spacer.gifin-top3hdiv.gifspacer.gif200104430633.jpgPicture copyright held by photographer. If you are the photographer of this picture and would like it removed please email us.

spacer.gifin-top3hdiv.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifGenuine original sixties issue of The Champion pts 1 & 2. The US original is an EP and it was later released in 1976 in the UK on London. This is the only way as far as I know to own it as a genuine sixties issue single. The numbers on the label are upside down, which is a sign of an original Decca distributed record, as with original John E. Pauls ect. I've had Manship confirm the authenticity of the item. There is a small tear on one side and a sticker mark on the other. I've graded it at VG+ visually, but it plays through beautifully. This is the same copy that was sold on ebay about two or so years ago. I will refund in full within 7 days if you are not happy with the item. Contact me for shipping costs/insurance. I will ship worldwide. Thanks!

spacer.gifin-top3hdiv.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gifin-top3div.jpgspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifin-top5bg.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

They asll had tri centres though - I still maintain this is a 70's release - Tony Rounce will now

...Indeed I do. I believe that they finally stopped pressing tri-centres in SA at the end of the 1960s. I've got loads of 'em, on labels like Fontana, Parlophone, Philips, Atlantic, Polydor etc. etc. I also have red Decca tri's that look exactly like this London.

It's important to know that all SA London releases were being pressed on a solid-centre Decca label, which looks like the UK Decca blue-and-white demo label, by the early 70s - and, although it's not especially relevant here, so were Brunswick releases. I have a whole raft of those Deccas, from Donnie Elbert, Ann Peebles and Al Green to the Chi-Lites and Hamilton Bohannon, spread right across the first half of the 70s.

If "The Champion" had come out in SA when it came out here on 45, it would almost certainly have been on one of those solid centre Decca labels, rather than a tri-centre London.

As far as I'm concerned, the red tri-centre London is 100% original. And I'd like one very much...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

...Indeed I do. I believe that they finally stopped pressing tri-centres in SA at the end of the 1960s. I've got loads of 'em, on labels like Fontana, Parlophone, Philips, Atlantic, Polydor etc. etc. I also have red Decca tri's that look exactly like this London.

It's important to know that all SA London releases were being pressed on a solid-centre Decca label, which looks like the UK Decca blue-and-white demo label, by the early 70s - and, although it's not especially relevant here, so were Brunswick releases. I have a whole raft of those Deccas, from Donnie Elbert, Ann Peebles and Al Green to the Chi-Lites and Hamilton Bohannon, spread right across the first half of the 70s.

If "The Champion" had come out in SA when it came out here on 45, it would almost certainly have been on one of those solid centre Decca labels, rather than a tri-centre London.

As far as I'm concerned, the red tri-centre London is 100% original. And I'd like one very much...

TONE

thanks for the info..another soul-source success!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

thanks for the info..another soul-source success!

I've posted up some of those later Decca-London's on here before, I'll stick a couple more up here by the morning for further illustration of what a mid 70s 'Champion' would look like....

Big fan of SA singles. Shame the audio quality on so many of them is lousy!

Social source share

TONE

Last time I ask you anything, Judas :D

Social source share

'...Indeed I do. I believe that they finally stopped pressing tri-centres in SA at the end of the 1960s. I've got loads of 'em, on labels like Fontana, Parlophone, Philips, Atlantic, Polydor etc. etc. I also have red Decca tri's that look exactly like this London.

TONE '

Think I messaged you about it Pete a while ago and you kindly helped me to try to find out the score with it.......I did have it on here for sale but got no takers at all, I suppose due to the fact people thought/think it's a 70's press. Certainly doesn't feel like one when you handle the vinyl. Audio quality on the SA 'Champion' is great as well.

Interesting 45! :thumbsup:

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

'...Indeed I do. I believe that they finally stopped pressing tri-centres in SA at the end of the 1960s. I've got loads of 'em, on labels like Fontana, Parlophone, Philips, Atlantic, Polydor etc. etc. I also have red Decca tri's that look exactly like this London.

TONE '

Think I messaged you about it Pete a while ago and you kindly helped me to try to find out the score with it.......I did have it on here for sale but got no takers at all, I suppose due to the fact people thought/think it's a 70's press. Certainly doesn't feel like one when you handle the vinyl. Audio quality on the SA 'Champion' is great as well.

Interesting 45! :unsure:

I never saw it - I'd've had if not your arm then at least several fingers and a wrist off to get it!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

The scan above was my old copy - at least it looks like it - here's the old posike / ebay listing from 2004 ..

https://www.popsike.c...4007737692.html

I bought this from Sam many years before - It was definately a genuine 1967 release - there was a label tear on one side, with the same dark red colour showing through, just like Decca labels from that period, albeit they would be blue.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!