• Replies 67
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest BIG H

Not a 'northern' artist as such but one of the best soul band to come from UK are The Average White Band imho thumbsup.gif

( oh and the,re Scottish too so im a wee bit bias )

Harry

Social source share

The eyes of blue they were from Wales they covered heart trouble & did supermarket full of cans. :D

supermarket full of cans

heart trouble Edited by Guest
Social source share

Not a 'northern' artist as such but one of the best soul band to come from UK are The Average White Band imho thumbsup.gif

( oh and the,re Scottish too so im a wee bit bias )

Harry

I had the occasion to spent a very enjoyable evening two years ago in the company of Hamish Stuart : a very nice guy , and a wealth of music stories to share .

Malc

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

TOM JONES.........STOP BREAKING MY HEART.....I CAN'T BREAK THE NEWS......CHILLS AND FEVER

NOSMO KING

KIKI DEE

WAYNE FONTANA.........

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Did anything by the Alan Bown Set ever get played out?

Maybe this Little Anthony cover??

Miss those great days when the likes of Geno Washington, Jimmy James & Alan Bown were the leading lights of the live British soul scene.

MB

Social source share

the Carrolls ... who included in their line-up the pneumatic Faith Brown and her mighty lungs...

faith-brown-2007-pre-wimbledon-party-hosted-by-richard-branson-18GBeO.jpg

Edited by isis
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Amen Corner did Our Love is in the Pocket and David Essex did some northern, not have to be a soul singer but great stuff oh and Brotherhood of Man noorthern soul track too

Social source share

DONT BELIEVE WE HAVENT HEARD FROM THE DUBLINER YET............WAKEY, WAKEY!!!! MR. CHAPTER 5 LOVER!!!.....YOUR FAVOURITE BAND HAS GOT A MENTION......

YET AGAIN!!:hatsoff2::lol::yes:

:yes:laugh.gif I couldn't resist it, but thought he'd have seen it by now.

It's far superior to the other I mentioned - aka Tony Blackburn ffs. :yes:

Social source share

Amen Corner did Our Love is in the Pocket and David Essex did some northern, not have to be a soul singer but great stuff oh and Brotherhood of Man noorthern soul track too

AC's debut album - " Round Amen Corner " UK Deram SML1021 , 1968 ) not only contained their version of " OLIITP " , it featured their versions ( among many which were the mainstay of their act at the time of the album ) of " Expressway To Your Heart " , " Let The Good Times Roll / Feel So Good " , and a medley of " I Don't Wanna Discuss It " and " Amen " .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Simon, Helen Shapiro was one of my absolute favourite artists when I was about 10... absolutely loved the album my Uncle had and each week when we visited I'd go straight to his records and played it!

Social source share

Guest martyn

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=hTMRlyLk9cM david essex soul called loving

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=bBbNH5HZMKs brotherhood of man reach out your hand

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=F87CFlFgd04 amen corner our love is in the pocket

Did these ever get plays though ? :thumbsup: ............................Was there a track by The Glitter Band that got plays or is this just urban myth - I certainly don't remember it unless it was The Flamming Emeralds in discuise ??

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Did these ever get plays though ? :thumbsup: ............................Was there a track by The Glitter Band that got plays or is this just urban myth - I certainly don't remember it unless it was The Flamming Emeralds in discuise ??

The Glitter Band did a couple of pretty good instrumentals. "Makes You Blind" is great and was a big record on the early disco scene in New York. Dunno whether it saw any action here. Wouldn't be surprised. There's also one called "Tuna Biscuit".

I've heard rumours that they also had releases on Contempo under other names.

Social source share

Whities from Blighty

Northernsoul from the UK

Lulu, Helen Shapiro, Dusty Springfield?

Have we any UK Northernsoul artists?

Have we any white Northernsoul artists?

Under my thumb?

The action covered quite a few northern tunes by the velvelettes and maurice and the radiants.and one or two others cant remember. most of rod stewarts early recordings with the faces were motown .so were the stones and the byrds.Slade did a version of "get down with it" live on bbc in about seventy one ( they all had skinheads then!)

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

Guest martyn

The Glitter Band did a couple of pretty good instrumentals. "Makes You Blind" is great and was a big record on the early disco scene in New York. Dunno whether it saw any action here. Wouldn't be surprised. There's also one called "Tuna Biscuit".

I've heard rumours that they also had releases on Contempo under other names.

Over to you tube to see if they're on there :thumbsup: ............................

Social source share

Guest martyn

Over to you tube to see if they're on there :thumbsup: ............................

Found 'Makes You Blind ' , must be a different lot to the lot who backed the kiddie fiddler surely ? :unsure:

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Found 'Makes You Blind ' , must be a different lot to the lot who backed the kiddie fiddler surely ? :lol:

No, the same. They weren't a proper band as such, just very competent session musicians hired by the producer of his first record who found themselves with a full time job once it was a hit. There was always a lot of love for contemporary US black music amongst British musos in the 60s /70s and i guess this was just them letting their hair down on a b-side of one of their hits (turns up in Oxfam all the time!)

Social source share

No, the same. They weren't a proper band as such, just very competent session musicians hired by the producer of his first record who found themselves with a full time job once it was a hit. There was always a lot of love for contemporary US black music amongst British musos in the 60s /70s and i guess this was just them letting their hair down on a b-side of one of their hits (turns up in Oxfam all the time!)

Initially , The Glitter Band did not exist as a working unit until after the success of " Rock and Roll " ( Parts 1 & 2 ) " for Gary Gutter in 1972 .

The co - writer / arranger / producer of the " song " was Gutter's manager Mike Leander ( which was an adaption / reworking of one of Leander's earlier compositions " Shag Rag , That's My Bag " ) , who had played all the instruments on the studio recording . Following the success of the record , Leander knew he had to cash in on the success of the record

( a UK number 2 ) , and had to find a backing band for Gutter's live performances .

Leander approached session musician John Rossall , who was a member of The Boston Showband . The BS became The Glitterman , and ultimately , The Glitter Band .

The Glitter Band were only used for live performances : all the instruments on the sessions for Gutter's subsequent recording sessions were played by Mike Leander , except for the brass sections .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest martyn

Initially , The Glitter Band did not exist as a working unit until after the success of " Rock and Roll " ( Parts 1 & 2 ) " for Gary Gutter in 1972 .

The co - writer / arranger / producer of the " song " was Gutter's manager Mike Leander ( which was an adaption / reworking of one of Leander's earlier compositions " Shag Rag , That's My Bag " ) , who had played all the instruments on the studio recording . Following the success of the record , Leander knew he had to cash in on the success of the record

( a UK number 2 ) , and had to find a backing band for Gutter's live performances .

Leander approached session musician John Rossall , who was a member of The Boston Showband . The BS became The Glitterman , and ultimately , The Glitter Band .

The Glitter Band were only used for live performances : all the instruments on the sessions for Gutter's subsequent recording sessions were played by Mike Leander , except for the brass sections .

Malc

:thumbsup: ..............................Which presumably lead to' Dr In The Tardis' :rolleyes:

Social source share

makes you blind by the glitter band was played back to back with purple haze johnny jones

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I've no doubt the purists will hate this.

But the Q-Tips (lead singer Paul Young) were a great soul covers band.

Here their version of the Soul Brothers Six - Some Kind of Wonderful.

And below Paul Young reunited with the Q-Tips brass section in 1987 for a bit of Joe Tex and Arthur Conley.

Not your thing? - then don't bother. :thumbsup:

MB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!