Coaches To Allnighters

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Loadsa coaches to venues in the 7ts. If there was a coach from your town or city going to an Allnighter now days would you use it & would you be more likely to attend an Allnighter if you knew there was a coach service..........???.

Russ

I think it's a great idea personally and would probably use it most of the time. Not only would you have a reyt laugh on the way there (and back) but you wouldn't have to worry about driving home in the morning or trying to navigate public transport on a sunday service.

Would increase attendances too I think!

Edited by Simon McMaster
Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Hi Russ

The nearest we we can get to that nowdays, is the Steve Thomas mini bus from N.Wales 15 seater sold out every other month, last proper coach we ran was to the Fed in Newcastle back in Sept 2005, full on the way up, half empty on the way back to Manchester, Mickey Cruise and co MIA!!

Chris W

Social source share

Loadsa coaches to venues in the 7ts. If there was a coach from your town or city going to an Allnighter now days would you use it & would you be more likely to attend an Allnighter if you knew there was a coach service..........???.

Russ

Yes and Yes...

though i think from this town, a mini would suffice.

Social source share

Yes and Yes...

laugh.gif:)Same answer from me!

:hatsoff2: I'm forgetting that coach journeys totally screw up my back, so it's a no from me. (Private jet would be nice.)

- Kev.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yes and Yes...

do you ride tandem Dave

i would without a doubt and would probably get out a lot more and to different venues cos of it

Social source share

Hi Russ

The nearest we we can get to that nowdays, is the Steve Thomas mini bus from N.Wales 15 seater sold out every other month, last proper coach we ran was to the Fed in Newcastle back in Sept 2005, full on the way up, half empty on the way back to Manchester, Mickey Cruise and co MIA!!

Chris W

:hatsoff2:...........good old MC, hope you are well buddy, say hey to Marcelle.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Dave Mortimore

Russ

. I think it's a good idea, because I hate driving any great distance. To crash out on a coach at the end of a long night rather than trying to keep awake behind the wheel on a motorway is definitely worth considering.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

. I think it's a good idea, because I hate driving any great distance. To crash out on a coach at the end of a long night rather than trying to keep awake behind the wheel on a motorway is definitetly worth considering.

and the laugh we would all have watching me doing face painting too :D

Social source share

Coaches were used a lot in the seventies,mainly because many people did not have their own transport. Nowadays people tend to use their own cars mainly for convenience. You can have a dedicated driver so the others can have a few drinks,plus if you want to leave early you don't have to hang around waiting for the coach.or until everbody is accounted for.. If the Allnighter is a good distance away then maybe it would make sence, but with cost of coaches anyway it would not be cheap as the driver would have to spend two days with departure on one day with the return not until the next morning.

Social source share

Russ

Only if I could drive and all the passengers sing hammered oldies all the way there. :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd take a coach. For one thing it would make me go and i wouldn't be able to change my mind when thinking about a nice lie-in Sunday morning. :D

Someone on another thread mentioned about soul clubs running coaches to allnighters. I think that's a good idea as well, several soul clubs maybe supporting a particular allnighter? Possible discount to soul club members for the added custom maybe?

Probably not running a coach the same night as the soul night itself, but who knows? In the old days when soul nights finished at 11 and nighters started at 12 it was much easier to do i expect.

Maybe soul night promoters could issue flyers with contact details if anyone is interested?

Social source share

There was never any coaches from were I lived. I had to endure British Rail, the train even caught fire once when I was on it. Later on I was lucky enough to get a lift. Them were the day the drug squad use to be at wigan station them days you could pull the emergency stop and the train would stop you could open the door and jump out before you got there.

Social source share

Depends which all nighter the bus was going to ! But yes id get the bus ...

But a point to note when we tried to organise a bus down to the recent Stafford reunion we couldnt drum up enough support (and I may add definite deposits) although there was at least twenty five Scots at the venue .

Social source share

Depends which all nighter the bus was going to ! But yes id get the bus ...

But a point to note when we tried to organise a bus down to the recent Stafford reunion we couldnt drum up enough support (and I may add definite deposits) although there was at least twenty five Scots at the venue .

Having a little bit of experience of this years ago, I think it would be better if people paid for thier seat in advance via PayPal possibly (non refundable), leaves at said time, from said place, both going & coming back, not there no ride - simple. Also, it might be worthwhile liasing with other areas with regards to picking up along the way - possibly at motorway services to save having to go through city centres or the back of beyond.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Thought it would be a good idea .....then the thought of someone playing The Magnetics or George Lemons all the way up would raise the risk asst level to high/danger .Did a few coaches to the Ritz bank holiday niters from London which were a laugh and the Pompey boys always did a coach to the Rocket.So legend has it there used to be a coach to Wigan from Stockton on Teees that went through Middlesbrough....Jack Wardle????. I suppose most towns in the seventies had coaches to Wigan as BR was so unreliable then.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Russ

Yes definitely - it used to be difficult getting back on a Sunday from venues by train to Gateshead - I remember it taking about 8 hours to get back from Cleethorpes once and then as things became more popular people started running coaches to venues Alex Lowes, Tony Connolly and Duncan Mc and others ran them from Newcastle - and life got a lot easier. It seems like it's gone full circle for me as I'm now back to getting trains again- after Piercebridge a couple of years ago I got the 9.30am train or thereabouts from Darlington and didn't get home to Brighton until 5.30pm because of engineering works - OK I stopped for a quick pint on the walk home from the station but it took the barmaid longer to pour the pint than for me to drink it -I was gasping after being stuck on the train all day.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

I personally despise coach travel as it takes too long.

However, if there was a coach of 52 soul fans going to the same venue then yes, I'd use it. But there wouldn't be these days.

I can get from Poole to Manc in 3.5 hours min 4 hours max... a coach would be twice that. Not even a consideration regardless of cost :unsure:

Social source share

defo..it would be great for us,,as woody does an awful lot of driving in his job,in fact need a lift to radcliffe:whistling:

brings back a lot of memories from the 70TS..many times the coach from wolvo was stopped by the police,everything went out the window:D

Social source share

Russ

:yes: Hi All. the Classic way to go to All Nighters "If YOU wanted to be BUSTED!" HOWEVER "NOT ALWAYS THE CASE" sometimes it provided the best cover other times just a Bizzare traveling experiance!!:rolleyes:

:lol: By far the best was from LUTON to LEEDS for the ISC MASSIVE ALL-NIGHTER QUEENS HALL. CHRIS G,ANNE M & MYSELF, WERE THE ONLY PASSANGERS ON THE COACH ALL THE WAY? AND I HD A FEW K OF DEX, I DONT THINK I COULD OF BUNNYED ME WAY OUT THAT IF THE OLD BILL COME ABOARD?????:D DAVE

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i may well use it, but an idea should be if it's the same town/city and we all travel from there just meet up at one place hop on the coach and travel there. no stops on the way same as it would be in a car. get there ok just no slow drivers.

Social source share

i may well use it, but an idea should be if it's the same town/city and we all travel from there just meet up at one place hop on the coach and travel there. no stops on the way same as it would be in a car. get there ok just no slow drivers.

It would be porkying to state that I have travelled on more buses to venues than I have hot dinners , but it comes pretty close .

Travellng to an all - nighter on a bus years ago , brought out the cameraderie in people and the scene ; bring back those days .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

It would be porkying to state that I have travelled on more buses to venues than I have hot dinners , but it comes pretty close .

Travellng to an all - nighter on a bus years ago , brought out the cameraderie in people and the scene ; bring back those days .

Malc

Jobees running a 52 seater to this years Torch Reunion from these parts.

Social source share

Bring back coaches :rolleyes: ..............Any coach drivers on SS, who could confirm approx cost & logistical implications - for example Rest Periods............would be interesting to see if it was financially viable in the New Milennium..............

Is this the anwser to better attended Allnighters (through till the end) & a new dawn of communication between promoters of Soul Nights & Allnighters (coach to Nighter after Soul Night) - never gonna be like it was, but could it help ???..........

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bring back coaches :rolleyes: ..............Any coach drivers on SS, who could confirm approx cost & logistical implications - for example Rest Periods............would be interesting to see if it was financially viable in the New Milennium..............

Is this the anwser to better attended Allnighters (through till the end) & a new dawn of communication between promoters of Soul Nights & Allnighters (coach to Nighter after Soul Night) - never gonna be like it was, but could it help ???..........

Best Russ

:yes: count us in Russ

Social source share

Could watch the DVD of Soulboy on the way................seriously though, what a great way to familiarise the passengers with ya latest newies - CAPTIVE AUDIENCE :lol: .

Russ

Indeed! :rolleyes: Great Idea though mate with the coaches.. :yes: Can smell the Red Bull and the talk now. Hey can we smoke?! :D Sing-alongs = great atmos, "Flintstones, meet the Flintstones they're a page right outta history...."

Social source share

Russ

To be honest Russ, I used to travel regularly in the 70's by coach, which was all part and parcel of a regular adventure! Nowadays the logistics and costs could possibly deter such similar excursions on a regular basis, however to re-create the "craic" every now and then from a personal perspective in a similar manner would be a very attractive proposition:yes:

Social source share

We run a mini bus (max 18 seater) a couple of times a year from Walthamstow to various venues and it works out ok cost wise if we are going down to say the Kent Soul Club - it's a good laugh there and back, way way better than driving, but a pain in the arse if you are the one organising especially adding up numbers etc.

Dave

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

To be honest Russ, I used to travel regularly in the 70's by coach, which was all part and parcel of a regular adventure! Nowadays the logistics and costs could possibly deter such similar excursions on a regular basis, however to re-create the "craic" every now and then from a personal perspective in a similar manner would be a very attractive proposition:yes:

Agreed Michael - great Craic.

Can Skippy and Mozzel (spelling?) do the coaches again from Bromsgrove then 5 Ways etc.. Happy Days!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!