Cutting Off Your Nose To Spite Your Face

Pete S

I really want this record but I just can't bear to pay his f*cking ridiculous postage rate, if the record was £100 I still wouldn't buy it purely on the principle that he's charging £2.25 for something that actually costs 60 pence to post (2nd class standard).

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROY-DENNIS-WALKS-DRIFTER-7-1971-MOODISC-HM104-a6-/390221839260?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Records&hash=item5adb08bb9c

anyway I don't know what most of you would do, bite the bullet, buy it and leave low ratings?

Then I looked at his feedback and noticed he had 70 negatives! So maybe I won't buy under any circumstances.

I am not mean by any stretch of the imagination, I just hate being ripped off on postage.

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not that I don't sympathize, BUT...I charge a little extra for postage because mailing records requires that I make a $4.50 round trip to my post office. If I'm mailing mulitiple records, that's not so bad, but when it's just one or two, well, that's why they call it "shipping and HANDLING," right?

Social source share

I really want this record but I just can't bear to pay his f*cking ridiculous postage rate, if the record was £100 I still wouldn't buy it purely on the principle that he's charging £2.25 for something that actually costs 60 pence to post (2nd class standard).

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5adb08bb9c

anyway I don't know what most of you would do, bite the bullet, buy it and leave low ratings?

Then I looked at his feedback and noticed he had 70 negatives! So maybe I won't buy under any circumstances.

I am not mean by any stretch of the imagination, I just hate being ripped off on postage.

I know why high postage charges can be so annoying Pete but I just tend to ignore them and concentrate on what amount will I end up paying out to get a record, if the 'Buy It Now' price was £13.24 and postage was free, would you buy it? Probably not from someone with that feedback (how does he still get so many buyers??) so let's imagine his feedback is 100% when deciding to buy or not.

Social source share

I know why high postage charges can be so annoying Pete but I just tend to ignore them and concentrate on what amount will I end up paying out to get a record, if the 'Buy It Now' price was £13.24 and postage was free, would you buy it? Probably not from someone with that feedback (how does he still get so many buyers??) so let's imagine his feedback is 100% when deciding to buy or not.

I think I'd be worried that I might not receive it to be honest, but you do have a good point, I would buy it at £13.24 to be honest.

Social source share

I know this is nothing to do with records, but I saw the same thing on Ebay today. Someone from Hong Kong selling 2 instances of the same item, one was £17 + .99p postage and one was .99p and £17 postage? I thought that Ebay were supposed to have sorted the high postage hackers out?? When I post a record I usually charge £1.50 within the UK, that includes postage, packing and travelling to the post office which is 1 mile away.

Social source share

I know this is nothing to do with records, but I saw the same thing on Ebay today. Someone from Hong Kong selling 2 instances of the same item, one was £17 + .99p postage and one was .99p and £17 postage? I thought that Ebay were supposed to have sorted the high postage hackers out?? When I post a record I usually charge £1.50 within the UK, that includes postage, packing and travelling to the post office which is 1 mile away.

If that was 1st class recorded delivery I'd take my hat off to you, but as it's probably first class standard I'd have to complain that you were overcharging :rolleyes:

(I charge £1 1st class or £1.70 recorded or £2 to people on soul source :yes: )

Social source share

:rolleyes: HI PETE..I HERE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND I AGREE IN PRINCIPLE!! HOWEVER, YOU CERTAINLY DID CUT YOUR NOSE OF! AS I RATE THE RECORD AND THATS CHEAP, I HAVE JUST HAD A QUICK LOOK THROUGH, THERES NOTHING SPECIAL BUT SOME GOOD RECORDS, JACKIE & MILLIE "NEVER AGAIN" INST UNDER £10 IS A BARGIN TO ME! EVEN INCLUDING POSTAGE:ph34r: DAVE

Social source share

Some sellers hike the postage rate to compensate for offering a lower price Buy It Now, as their ebay fees would be lower for that transaction if it sells.

Also some sellers use brand new mailers and stiffeners rather than recycle old ones, not sure if this is the case here, but if so you gotta allow some cost for the packing materials.

As Adam says, surely the only thing that matters is if you are happy with the total amount.

Did you buy it in the end Pete?

Social source share

A few years ago my missus wanted a small original 60s m 1951 fishtail parka so she could look cool with me on the back of my 60s Lambretta,

So I spent ages lurking on e bay for a small original parka for her.

One night a mint one turned up with a " buy it now" price of 120 dollars which was about 60 quid at the time !

There and then with no hesitation (and no investigation) , muggins here has pressed the "buy it now" button and purchased this quality iconic piece of early 60s Scooter ware for his girl !

I remember feeling really good for a few seconds cause these coats were really hard to get in mint condition in a small size cause all the (rich) Japanese Mods were buying them !

So I pressed the "pay" button and the twat had added "95 quid for postage" into the transaction without me noticing laugh.gif

I wouldn't mind but she has only wore it twice in over 5 years !

peace !

(mind you she has slept under this coat on our settee a few times when I have been pissed in the last few years) laugh.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Some sellers hike the postage rate to compensate for offering a lower price Buy It Now, as their ebay fees would be lower for that transaction if it sells.

Also some sellers use brand new mailers and stiffeners rather than recycle old ones, not sure if this is the case here, but if so you gotta allow some cost for the packing materials.

As Adam says, surely the only thing that matters is if you are happy with the total amount.

Did you buy it in the end Pete?

I use brand new mailers and card for everything I sell but I'd still charge less than half what he's charging for that particular service.

Did I buy it? Did I f*ck. Someone was kind enough to buy it for me though :rolleyes:

Social source share

bought some bits last week from a lad on e-bay

bid on 7 records

all started @ 5-00 each---Won 6 at opening bid

noticed post was 1-80 each

so thought,hopefully he will be sensible and combine postage

so when i got invoice noticed full amount charged

when i asked about it he said

"well you got them well below what there worth "

THATS WHY I BOUGHT THEM YOU MUPPETT

Social source share

bid on 7 records

You could report him for that Keith

Social source share

bid on 7 records

Tell him if he won't combine postage you don't want him to combine packing so he needs to send all 6 seperately...won't save you any money but it will cost him more in time, materials and postage.

Then report him.....

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Check P&P charge prior to bidding / buying if you don't like it fine don't buy/bid it's a simple choice, why bother complaining.

Thanks for enlightening us with those words of wisdom, I'll remember that next time I start a topic about postage.

* it's not about that, it's about wrestling with your conscience about should you buy it, or stik to your principles and not buy it because of the post charge

Social source share

Bought Focus three Lp and Santana 3 of a guy in Stockport with each item having Postage for £3 for second class.

I asked him for the total including P&P and the total for the P&P was £6

When I questioned it he knocked £50p off.

I costed sending 2 lps of similar weight with packaging and told him thats what it costs . so I waited for the reply with another deduction to come

His reply was - he put the P&P back up to £6 and said he decided the P&P not me.

I said OK Ill pick them up in person- He replied that thats not available on his ebay account only postage so I asked him would he be posting a Ford KA if he sold one. The next thing I know hes asked for the transactions to be cancelled.

Ive not left him feedback yet - any suggestions?

Social source share

Bought Focus three Lp and Santana 3 of a guy in Stockport with each item having Postage for £3 for second class.

I costed sending 2 lps of similar weight with packaging and told him thats what it costs . so I waited for the reply with another deduction to come

His reply was - he put the P&P back up to £6 and said he decided the P&P not me.

I said OK Ill pick them up in person- He replied that thats not available on his ebay account only postage so I asked him would he be posting a Ford KA if he sold one. The next thing I know hes asked for the transactions to be cancelled.

Yes - pull up a sunlounger on the patio,pour yourself a glass of wine,in the knowledge you are not like that guy.

Social source share

Yes. Get your ears cleaned out you f*cking hippy :hatsoff2:

Social source share

You'll be able to pay on the day I should think Steve. I won't be going, I'm on year 5 of a lifetime boycott!

HI,

I NOTICE A LOT OF US SELLERS NEVER PUT THE POSTAGE UP,

IF YOU DON'T ASK BEFORE YOU BID YOU CAN GET WELL STUFFED FOR POSTAGE,

YOU THINK EBAY WOULD MAKE IT COMPULSORY TO SAY WHAT POSTAGE IS,

JOE.

PS, I BOUGHT 6 45s FROM SWANSEA ONCE AND HE WANTED £3 EACH AND WHEN I ASKED ABOUT THIS HE DROPPED IT TO £2.50 EACH,

I THINK THERE STILL STUCK UP HIS ASS,

Social source share

he's charging £2.25 for something that actually costs 60 pence to post (2nd class standard).

I always charge 1.50 postage (First Class) and use standard mailers and inserts.

Lets face it mailers and stiffeners are not free.

I cant do with people who dispute paying for "packaging" do they

think it grows on furkin tress.

Kegsy

Social source share

Looked at my feedback on Ebay

How about this one!

Leaves Positive feedback and writes this.

" Sellers beware - he challenges the postage and blackmails with negative feedback if you dont lower"

When I left them positive feedback - they yet again left the same comment as a reply.

Bought 2 items off them (Opalshores is their ID) which were kids dresses. - I obviusly got them cheaper than they thought!

They tried to charge me £6 for the postage for the 2 Geroge school dresses 2nd class.

Obviously I challenged the postage! got some whining reply and I said - Fine I will pay the £6 but when it rrives it had better cost that much or I will report you. They then had a change of heart and the postage was reduced. They notified me that the item had been sent and said thanks for the business!

next I see ids their sneaky little comments so Ive written back to them telling them Im gonna put their shit on the ebay community.

F**king thieves!

Social source share

How about this one!

" Sellers beware - he challenges the postage and blackmails with negative feedback if you dont lower"

When I left them positive feedback - they yet again left the same comment as a reply.

Bought 2 items off them (Opalshores is their ID) which were kids dresses. - I obviusly got them cheaper than they thought!

They tried to charge me £6 for the postage for the 2 Geroge school dresses 2nd class.

Obviously I challenged the postage! got some whining reply and I said - Fine I will pay the £6 but when it rrives it had better cost that much or I will report you. They then had a change of heart and the postage was reduced. They notified me that the item had been sent and said thanks for the business!

next I see ids their sneaky little comments so Ive written back to them telling them Im gonna put their shit on the ebay community.

F**king thieves!

I think it's actually against ebay rules for a seller to leave a positive feedback with a negative comment. You could report the feedback to ebay.

... also, if someone is going to complain, I know sellers have no recourse to leave feedback for buyers if they can only say positive things, but buyer feedback accomplishes nothing anyways

Social source share

he's charging £2.25 for something that actually costs 60 pence to post (2nd class standard).

I always charge 1.50 postage (First Class) and use standard mailers and inserts.

Lets face it mailers and stiffeners are not free.

I cant do with people who dispute paying for "packaging" do they

think it grows on furkin tress.

Kegsy

I recycle (use mailers i have received) mine because they do grow on trees.

Social source share

Guest smigger

How about this one!

F**king thieves!

You've got to see the bright side, though.

You look cracking in those dresses.

Social source share

Check P&P charge prior to bidding / buying if you don't like it fine don't buy/bid it's a simple choice, why bother complaining.

good advice, last week i won 3 records, without properly checking p&p and who i had won them off, all i noticed that two of the records had p&P of 1.80, and the third had p&P of 4 quid, two days later all three came from the same seller, how does that work then ?

Social source share

Jus had another one today

3 records Charges me £3.50 P&P

It arrives and is just covered with a piece of paper and Sellotape.

The records are not seprated by cardboard but by old 45 card sleeves - The ones with the plastic inserts with names of other artists etc on them.

The cost of the Postage £2.06

Social source share

Jus had another one today

3 records Charges me £3.50 P&P

It arrives and is just covered with a piece of paper and Sellotape.

The records are not seprated by cardboard but by old 45 card sleeves - The ones with the plastic inserts with names of other artists etc on them.

The cost of the Postage £2.06

Ask him why he charged so much when he using second hand material and tell him you'll be leaving appropriate feedback, and he's a robbing c*nt.

Social source share

Tell him if he won't combine postage you don't want him to combine packing so he needs to send all 6 seperately...won't save you any money but it will cost him more in time, materials and postage.

Then report him.....

I have done this myself and they then ask can I post together !! revenge is always sweet!!:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!