Sour Grapes Or Madness

I sold a copy of the Bell boys on here a few months ago for around £100 which the JM guide price indicates and actually the price I paid for it!

One hour to go and the damn thing on Mannys Auction is sitting at £314.

So Does Jms auction contradict his own guide price and am I hoping it doesnt go for anymore?:thumbsup:

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

I sold a copy of the Bell boys on here a few months ago for around £100 which the JM guide price indicates and actually the price I paid for it!

So Does Jms auction contradict his own guide price and am I hoping it doesnt go for anymore?:D

you only need 2 peeps after the same tune and woosh up the price goes, JM is only a guide to tunes he feels he can get or has got a price for, for me knock a third off and thats more a realistic price in the going market, some you win some you loose you got your money back and good luck to JM he has a world wide audience and massive catchment and reputation that makes peeps feel they are getting what they bid for :D any way its only money :thumbsup:

Social source share

So Does Jms auction contradict his own guide price and am I hoping it doesnt go for anymore?:thumbsup:

id be pissed off too ernie but how would you feel if someone sold it to you for a ton then you was offered over 300 pounds for it?

its a difficult one...dont buy it back whatever you do

moldie

Social source share

Finishing price £509.00

Madness! and abit of sour grapes!

Does it now mean that in Johns next book he will value it at £500?

he will value it far higher like most of his tunes lololololol

Social source share

Finishing price £509.00

Madness! and abit of sour grapes!

Does it now mean that in Johns next book he will value it at £500?

I'll never understand these auctions and the people who bid on them as long as I live. If it was on ebay it might have just made £150. He got £300 odd for a Muriel Day last week, I had it on SET SALE for £100 and it didn't go. If John says something is rare, people fall over themselves trying to outbid one another, if I say the same thing, nobody's interested. It's all about the hype.

Social source share

Guest Perception

I'll never understand these auctions and the people who bid on them as long as I live. If it was on ebay it might have just made £150. He got £300 odd for a Muriel Day last week, I had it on SET SALE for £100 and it didn't go. If John says something is rare, people fall over themselves trying to outbid one another, if I say the same thing, nobody's interested. It's all about the hype.

I agree, a lot of people Do Not Have Minds Of There Own!

They need John Manship to tell them if it is good, or what to buy!

With his price guides and his auctions, he must be laughing all the way to the Bank!!!!

Social source share

I agree, a lot of people Do Not Have Minds Of There Own!

They need John Manship to tell them if it is good, or what to buy!

With his price guides and his auctions, he must be laughing all the way to the Bank!!!!

should we not change price guide to joke book????????????????????????

Social source share

Big Demand for the flip side at moment

Social source share

I can't count the number of times that a JM auction has run a 45 that's on ebay at the same time and gone for double the ebay price. He has a loyal following who seem to trust him rather than unknown sellers, lucky for him.

Personally I find his grading inconsistent and postage to Australia the highest of any dealer (double the actual price)

His price guides are what I'd like if I was selling a record I must say :lol:

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

my experience only ..........

probably sour grapes...

....we all know its about 2 or300 quidder, but as always supply and demand and as someone`s post said "once you get two people at it off it goes" so be realistic about the outcome! its the same on ebay....... i wish it had been mine. but i checked and its still there. he does auction items for collectors as im sure you are aware, other dealers do too, charging 15%, so he may not necessarily be laughing all the way to the bank. cracking up over you was 4 quid from soul bowl in 78, 200 plus now.

i certainly was when he auctioned my jimmy burns, bought for 3300 quid from one british dealer and auctioned for 5700 quid well done johnny and the johnettes. and i am sure many of you would have benefitted from this option he offers. 300 for muriel day........................mmmmmmm well it wouldnt do for us all to be the same would it. maybe it was for a number run.sorry guys i am trying to be polite and think of reasons here! if you want to see some rubbish records motown has a stack of them, but they are in a lable run so people buy them, me included. all the dealers are doing is feeding our "sickness" and personally i LOVE IT! as for john manship, lisa , stella and the girls in particular,fantastic service always. i am customer account number 80 from the baldock lane days and have only had one problem with a certain record and was refunded the $25,000 on return of the broken item. the other ultra high value item arrived safely packed for a nuclear b....and is now safe........................would an ebayer do that!!!!!!!!!!! dont get me wrong, guys like barrie at 45 heaven and steve jeffereys too do great jobs and they too are up front with postage, its not cheap to america, australia etc. last single from john was about 7 quid, to australa, about 12 us dollars when an american can charge as much as 14 or 20 dollars and you know it happens. stuff them about and you get bad feedback posted for the world to see, not so with any of the dealers in england who have to put up with items ordered or won in auctions and not paid for and i dont mean once or twice either etc etc.........and abuse down the phone. one day i heard a guy really laying into stella at johns over recieving the wrong record...he wanted the snake and had sent him help me instead. the tirade was shocking, i was embarrassed....

as for the bell boys, well all he as done is brought the b side to our attention and it is good...............and here we are talking about it . what is it they say about publicity......

john and lisa, congratulations on the baby too,

Social source share

more money than sense is always a fair comment but its obvious there are folks out there who do have the finances, wether we know them or not, and of course its also a global audience as stated. we'll never get our heads round it...we just have to accept it...anyway there will always be loads of great cheapies outweighing the big hitters. to me, anyone who puts up a list, be it through the post or on the net, will have things of interest for a very reasonable price e.g pete.s, mick smith, steve jeffries excetera. when i log on here, i look everyday at everyone's offerings, i look at j.m., t.b., p.b., s.c.,....its a fabulous market place dispite the mind boggling obscenities that occur....you just have to see through the trees to the wood, so to speak. i feel that the main protagonists who compile the price guides really are steeped in experience but even they cant predict what a certain records value is going to do from one day to the next, even given if they are aware that its suddenly flavour of the month. they have a choice...they can sell it for what they have it originally listed at, they can double the price but still sell it on their pages or, go a stage further and auction...they then, can only envisage how drastic the want is....and for all we know they're probably as personally flabbergasted as we are.

i'll chase an august moon if one comes up on regular sales or a gerri hall at the right price, which, of course is in the hundreds, but these have fetched considerable amounts at auction. by the same token, im fuming because i didnt react quick enough to margie joseph and bettye lavette singles at snip prices on steve jeffries in the last couple of weeks as well as syng mcgowan and frankie crocker going rockbottom on tim's sight ( probably well worn, but in the case of ton o' dynamite £ 75.....WHO'S COMPLAINING!!)

i dont understand why, bearing in mind all the resources we have, and despite e-bay being there, people use it to sell soul records....THERE IS THE REAL UNPRIDICTABILITY FOR YOU....BECAUSE ITS NOT DEDICATED TO ANY PARTICULAR MATERIALISTIC OBJECT OF VALUE...ITS JUST A SALES PITCH. the people who do, obviously think they can garner even more there, because there are even more unsuspecting punters waiting to get ripped off. maybe im off the mark...maybe some of them are genuinely honest....you tell me or perhaps they know what we know....that the people on soul source are, on the whole, very astute, shrewd, judgemental and downright too seasoned to have a bag thrown over their head and be called a mushroom ( kept in the dark - fed shite!).

anyway, thats my observation for what its worth.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

more money than sense is always a fair comment but its obvious there are folks out there who do have the finances, wether we know them or not, and of course its also a global audience as stated. we'll never get our heads round it...we just have to accept it...anyway there will always be loads of great cheapies outweighing the big hitters. to me, anyone who puts up a list, be it through the post or on the net, will have things of interest for a very reasonable price e.g pete.s, mick smith, steve jeffries excetera. when i log on here, i look everyday at everyone's offerings, i look at j.m., t.b., p.b., s.c.,....its a fabulous market place dispite the mind boggling obscenities that occur....you just have to see through the trees to the wood, so to speak. i feel that the main protagonists who compile the price guides really are steeped in experience but even they cant predict what a certain records value is going to do from one day to the next, even given if they are aware that its suddenly flavour of the month. they have a choice...they can sell it for what they have it originally listed at, they can double the price but still sell it on their pages or, go a stage further and auction...they then, can only envisage how drastic the want is....and for all we know they're probably as personally flabbergasted as we are.

i'll chase an august moon if one comes up on regular sales or a gerri hall at the right price, which, of course is in the hundreds, but these have fetched considerable amounts at auction. by the same token, im fuming because i didnt react quick enough to margie joseph and bettye lavette singles at snip prices on steve jeffries in the last couple of weeks as well as syng mcgowan and frankie crocker going rockbottom on tim's sight ( probably well worn, but in the case of ton o' dynamite £ 75.....WHO'S COMPLAINING!!)

i dont understand why, bearing in mind all the resources we have, and despite e-bay being there, people use it to sell soul records....THERE IS THE REAL UNPRIDICTABILITY FOR YOU....BECAUSE ITS NOT DEDICATED TO ANY PARTICULAR MATERIALISTIC OBJECT OF VALUE...ITS JUST A SALES PITCH. the people who do, obviously think they can garner even more there, because there are even more unsuspecting punters waiting to get ripped off. maybe im off the mark...maybe some of them are genuinely honest....you tell me or perhaps they know what we know....that the people on soul source are, on the whole, very astute, shrewd, judgemental and downright too seasoned to have a bag thrown over their head and be called a mushroom ( kept in the dark - fed shite!).

anyway, thats my observation for what its worth.

great observation.........

well balanced post agent smith. we need more, it is well known that even in times of reccesion collectors will still get money from somewhere to satisfy the "sickness" so we will still see high prices and as you say the sellers will be astounded still, as we are at what they will fetch. but there are bargains still to be had. may of us are as you say seasoned and astute, but a good relationship with a quality dealer is always good as we all have, its that trusting relationhip thing. like you say, the guides they produce are based on experience and are of invaluable help to all of us and a damned interesting read too,they must take years of work. but they still come in for critisism, sit back and enjoy the search for that elusive 45 and any new collector wont get ripped off the way some did in the past with all those look a like pressings, freddie chevez and the like, with colour additions like in the back of manships, brilliant info. i dont dare imagine where we might be without one of them, i dont care what anyone says but i am glad i read this before i finally bought my george blackwell

just before anyone dives in for another dig at johnny m. ref my prev post, the guy on the phone when i was there was p%&$ed, apparently always is and abusive, and had ordered the wrong record anyway. the point i was making was these are great everyday people who dont need to listen to abuse, just treat them with respect i say...in fact treat everyone like this and the world will be a better place.................nearly breakfast time ...off me soap box and into bed

p.s

syng mcg cracking record. cant get into the frankie though. too each his own. its always great to find a good cheapie too and we thought they had all been found,

a great read

Social source share

the price quide like it or loath it -is never consistent with trends on the scene -the 2 are like chalk and cheese but for a collector who collects a wide breath of logos etc in a number of genres i think its a brill ref point -prices fluctuate so much that -at times its really hard to have a common sense discussion and yes numerous buyers trust john and so there should -hes a decent bloke imho .The prices stated in the quide are prices paid by johns customers and yes i would of thought that all the updated prices would be added next time round as he has done this on prior editions,the issue is as soon as printed there flucuate lol!!

Good example is lee fields went for how much ?? again trends does beg the question on whether John will just state the top price of this in the next quide or perhaps the common sense price now that has levelled out ??

I use the quide alot to price funk/deep/sweet/b sides/bits of gospel,latin etc -getting the money stated is a whole new issue it is still a buyers market with not great amounts of common sense involved!!

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest Perception

the price quide like it or loath it -is never consistent with trends on the scene -the 2 are like chalk and cheese but for a collector who collects a wide breath of logos etc in a number of genres i think its a brill ref point -prices fluctuate so much that -at times its really hard to have a common sense discussion and yes numerous buyers trust john and so there should -hes a decent bloke imho .The prices stated in the quide are prices paid by johns customers and yes i would of thought that all the updated prices would be added next time round as he has done this on prior editions,the issue is as soon as printed there flucuate lol!!

Good example is lee fields went for how much ?? again trends does beg the question on whether John will just state the top price of this in the next quide or perhaps the common sense price now that has levelled out ??

I use the quide alot to price funk/deep/sweet/b sides/bits of gospel,latin etc -getting the money stated is a whole new issue it is still a buyers market with not great amounts of common sense involved!!

BAZ A.

Price guides are an effort to control!!!

I think it's great when the market knackers this up.

We will not be dictated to by dealers!!

Edited by Perception
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!