Chicago Session Bass Players

Guest Dante

Guest Dante

I just got the Beautiful Day Jackie Wilson LP from 1972/3. I was absolutely amazed at the bass work. Because Of you's bassline was already a fav of mine, but the whole album is a belter. A lot of credit also to the mixing engineer that makes it sound so thick, clear and in your face, but,

Anyone know who was playing bass at that time? I could also swear is the same guy on, at least, Curtis Mayfield first solo album, which is from 1970, so that wouldn't be too far off. I did a quick google search and I found Joseph "Lucky" Scott played on Superfly Curtis Live! and Roots, so there's a chance he's the guy I'm thinking of.

Any more info about him / them??

Thanks in advance,

Dante

Edited by Dante
Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just got the Beautiful Day Jackie Wilson LP from 1972/3. I was absolutely amazed at the bass work. Because Of you's bassline was already a fav of mine, but the whole album is a belter. A lot of credit also to the mixing engineer that makes it sound so thick, clear and in your face, but,

Anyone know who was playing bass at that time? I could also swear is the same guy on, at least, Curtis Mayfield first solo album, which is from 1970, so that wouldn't be too far off. I did a quick google search and I found Joseph "Lucky" Scott played on Superfly Curtis Live! and Roots, so there's a chance he's the guy I'm thinking of.

Any more info about him / them??

Thanks in advance,

Dante

Bernard Reed was the bass player on the brunswick jackie wilson stuff until about '71 when he left to go to twinight records. It might be him if it was recorded a little earlier. I will ask Bernard next time I see him, if i wasn't him he would know who it was.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert