Why Ktf

Guest JimSLH

Guest JimSLH

Why or Should it be !!!

In your opinion why is the phrase (Keep The Faith) used with in the scene

this is not because I believe I have the answer but just wondering on different peoples

point of view

Answers on a post card

Edited by JimSLH
Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Why or Should it be !!!

this is not because I believe I have the answer but just wondering on different peoples

point of view

Answers on a post card

its a black colloqualism.or a phrase used among americans which had a mention in a tune or two in the sixties and maybe before that. " piece of mind, E Rodney Jones , "and i know that i can keep the faith baby...."

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Originally it was used by slaves to stay strong and use their religion as a force for hope. It's from the bible:

Timothy 4:7 'I have fought a good fight, i have finished my cause, i have kept the faith'

Later it became adopted by the civil rights movement in th US, and then found its way into popular black music probably through gospel and protest songs (we know plenty of soul singers were involved in civil rights). I'm assuming it was then adopted by the northern soul scene in the UK through the influence of black music and culture in the same way the Black Power fist was adopted.

That's my understanding of it. :thumbsup:

Despite it being ridiculed these days i still like it. I think it shows unity and loyalty, which was it's original intention i expect.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Originally it was used by slaves to stay strong and use their religion as a force for hope. It's from the bible:

Timothy 4:7 'I have fought a good fight, i have finished my cause, i have kept the faith'

Later it became adopted by the civil rights movement in th US, and then found its way into popular black music probably through gospel and protest songs (we know plenty of soul singers were involved in civil rights). I'm assuming it was then adopted by the northern soul scene in the UK through the influence of black music and culture in the same way the Black Power fist was adopted.

Despite it being ridiculed these days i still like it. I think it shows unity and loyality, which was it's original intention i expect.

/\ /\ /\ /\

In a nutshell!

Social source share

Despite it being ridiculed these days i still like it. I think it shows unity and loyalty, which was it's original intention i expect.

succinctly written and shuperbly interpreted .nice one

Social source share

Why or Should it be !!!

point of view

Answers on a post card

Well.

It's far more polite than

WTF

Don't ya think?

KoKo:shades:

Tony

Social source share

The additional influence was Dave Godin's sign off in his column, which was always "Keep The Faith - Right On Now" from memory.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This probably needs a separate thread but why does the Swan label have 'Don't Drop Out' on it?

In my innocence i thought it referred to the soul scene, but it can't can it? What does it refer to?

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

This probably needs a separate thread but why does the Swan label have 'Don't Drop Out' on it?

In my innocence i thought it referred to the soul scene, but it can't can it? What does it refer to?

i would assume it meant stay in school.......motown had a similar slogan in the 60s with brenda holloway's play it cool stay in school.

Social source share

that refers to being part of the 'In Crowd', ie don't drop out of it, Rather than say not dropping out of school. In Crowd, being another 50/60's hip term.

Social source share

The label had the message " Don't drop out " on it to encourage kids to stay in school .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

PS, by the late 60's the opposite was the case, due to the Hippy Counter Coulture, it was then cool to 'Drop Out' or 'Tune Out'

Correct dave : the phrase preached was " Turn on, Tune in , Drop out " , coined by LSD Guru Timothy Leary .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Correct dave : the phrase preached was " Turn on, Tune in , Drop out " , coined by LSD Guru Timothy Leary .

Malc

I have been doin' it ever since :D

Social source share

Guest Dante

I remember reading on this site that both phrases, KTF and Right On Now were used by people trying to convert africans to christianity.

Is it true?

Edited by Dante
Social source share

I have been doin' it ever since biggrin.gif

If you do not know this album Ken , check it out ....... and drop out with it :thumbsup:

Murray Roman " You Can't Beat People Up And Have Them Say I Love You "

Malc

post-5097-078696100 1280426795_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest soul elite

qcan't look at this abbreviation without thinking of KFC :thumbsup:

Your'e not on your own with that one. :lol: :lol: :)

It must be catching!!wink.gif me to:lol: laugh.gif:unsure:

Ssssh now, we'll get into trouble for not being serious:ph34r: :P:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest JimSLH

wasnt sure if this was gonna be a can of worms but not too bad

for me it all about the scene keeping it real and keeping it in the vain that it was started in

ie Vinyl only respect the music

Edited by JimSLH
Social source share

Guest martyn

Quite like the term KTF :lol: , its Right On ! that I find really cringe worthy ,especially when said with a black power first given .....................I mean lets face it I'm white & come from Bedford FFS :lol:

Social source share

Quite like the term KTF :lol: , its Right On ! that I find really cringe worthy ,especially when said with a black power first given .....................I mean lets face it I'm white & come from Bedford FFS :lol:

Whats a black power fist ? the fist is a thing we all use black and white,the workers/poor struggle against shit housing shit wages shit working conditions and things, a sign of working class unity.used by every group figting for something i think...........and communists biggrin.gif power to the people, right-on

Ask Joey Jones Liverpool f c

Social source share

Whats a black power fist ? the fist is a thing we all use black and white,the workers/poor struggle against shit housing shit wages shit working conditions and things, a sign of working class unity.used by every group figting for something i think...........and communists :D power to the people, right-on

Ask Joey Jones Liverpool f c

The Black Power fist is differentiated by a clenched fist wearing a black leather glove , adopted in the sixties as part of the Black Power movement,, most famously at the 1968 Mexico Olympics by 200 m gold medalist Tommie Smith and

Bronze medalist John Carlos, when they donned black gloves and raised the the Black Power fist on the podium, after being handed the medals..

Picked up by some northern soulies on the dance floor and has become a much used graphic on the scene since., on bags t shirts etc.

I can understand why a lot find it a bit embarrasing , like ktf ,but I admire the way it suggests that a lot of U K Soul fans,have some awareness of the civil rights struggles that were the background against which a lot of the music was created

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I can understand why a lot find it a bit embarrasing , like ktf ,but I admire the way it suggests that a lot of U K Soul fans,have some awareness of the civil rights struggles that were the background against which a lot of the music was created

I agree, Tommie Smith and John Carlos got a lot of stick for doing what they did, especially from the Olympic committee which had no problems allowing Nazi salutes at the games in 1936 :lol:

Northern Soul fans may or may not have been aware of what they were doing by using the symbol but that doesn't take away it's power in my opinion. Like i said, i'm not ashamed of the symbol or of KTF.

Right on soul brothers and sisters :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

The Black Power fist is differentiated by a clenched fist wearing a black leather glove , adopted in the sixties as part of the Black Power movement,, most famously at the 1968 Mexico Olympics by 200 m gold medalist Tommie Smith and

Bronze medalist John Carlos, when they donned black gloves and raised the the Black Power fist on the podium, after being handed the medals..

Picked up by some northern soulies on the dance floor and has become a much used graphic on the scene since., on bags t shirts etc.

So nearly right :D just ijacked by some group as a sign to unify in there movement..dont think mr King would have approved.

Social source share

Guest martyn

So nearly right biggrin.gif just ijacked by some group as a sign to unify in there movement..dont think mr King would have approved.

Its use in a Northern Soul context is IMO just plain embarassing .........................Akin to making 'devils horns ' with your fingers like heavy metal fans do .In fact ,come to think about it calling each other brother & sister is a bit 'Waynes World ' as well :thumbsup:

Social source share

Why or Should it be !!!

point of view

Answers on a post card

it was a term used in the 60s within USA black culture - it was meant to mean " to stay faithful to your family"

don't go off doggin whores and being a shit !

These days the term means mostley nothing to black people ! imo

You would never have heard this phrase being used in our UK black communities in the 60s !

and you certainly would not hear it now in conversation,

Deffo a case of a white boy stealing the usa brothers slang, importing it and then getting it really wrong !!

I also believe the fact that the white kids in this country in the 70s were able to go around shouting KTF

was down to the fact that nobody else (white or black) in this country had a clue what they were going on about !

IMO

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Always wondered what "don't drop out" was for.

that was a collage slogan for folk to stay in school and get the education

Social source share

Guest mooma

NO WONDER THE GUY LOOKED AT ME DAFT WHEN I ORDERED A KFC BUCKET TO TAKE OUT!!! KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN IS THE SAME INITIALS AS KEEP THE FAITH LOL XXXXXXXX

SUE

ps must get to specsavers KFC aint nowt like KTF when looking back on post!!!!

must have been good stuff last nt lol

Edited by mooma
Social source share

it was a term used in the 60s within USA black culture - it was meant to mean " to stay faithful to your family"

don't go off doggin whores and being a shit !

These days the term means mostley nothing to black people ! imo

You would never have heard this phrase being used in our UK black communities in the 60s !

and you certainly would not hear it now in conversation,

Deffo a case of a white boy stealing the usa brothers slang, importing it and then getting it really wrong !!

I also believe the fact that the white kids in this country in the 70s were able to go around shouting KTF

was down to the fact that nobody else (white or black) in this country had a clue what they were going on about !

IMO

Nothing to do with religion then ??? burn baby burn.

Social source share

Nothing to do with religion then ??? burn baby burn.

I just hate the term Ken

"Keep the faith" T shirts - sew on badges etc. with the black power fist ?

What's that all about ?

What has the 60s civil rights movement / politics got to do with being a Soul fan in the uk ?

I really hate badges and sew on patches !!! laugh.gif

I know you lot did it in the 70s - but I just think that all that KTF stuff is corny.

Sorry

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What has the 60s civil rights movement / politics got to do with being a Soul fan in the uk ?

Plenty i'd say. Lots of soul singers were active in the civil rights movement and politics in the US and their music reflects that. If you like black American music of any description you must at least agree with the sentiment of the civil rights movement and black society in the US. I suppose you can be into soul and ignore the culture and society it comes from, but i don't see how anyone can listen to Curtis Mayfield for example without having a clue about what he's on about.

I'm not saying that's a reason to use KTF or the black power fist, and you're right unfortunately it means bugger all to most people these days, but that doesn't mean we should be ignorant about where the music comes from.

You might think it's all in the past but i'd go and watch Motor City's Burning, or even better Julian Temple's Requiem for Detroit for an idea about what life is still like today.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Plenty i'd say. Lots of soul singers were active in the civil rights movement and politics in the US and their music reflects that. If you like black American music of any description you must at least agree with the sentiment of the civil rights movement and black society in the US. I suppose you can be into soul and ignore the culture and society it comes from, but i don't see how anyone can listen to Curtis Mayfield for example without having a clue about what he's on about.

I'm not saying that's a reason to use KTF or the black power fist, and you're right unfortunately it means bugger all to most people these days, but that doesn't mean we should be ignorant about where the music comes from.

You might think it's all in the past but i'd go and watch Motor City's Burning, or even better Julian Temple's Requiem for Detroit for an idea about what life is still like today.

Hear hear

People here have been marchin' for the same civil rights for years, bloody sunday was a march for civil rights so if you was around then and soul fan listening to mr king one your new motown gordy lp or clayton powell it would not be hard to see they are the same struggle,but i do listen to mr king and stuff and mr king is more soulfull than most motown stuff.......i like clayton powell the stuff is just as revolent(spelling) today as back then if your from some ghetto anywhere things have not changed that much.............people used to burn people houses down in ireland ethnic cleansing not that long back

Social source share

I'm not saying I have no intrest in afro american politics and its obvious links to the music, both past and present.

From Curtis Mayfield to Gang Starr - I am fully aware of the continuing problems that these people still face today.

I am expecially intrested in all aspects of afro american culture, music, and the struggle to obtain their basic human rights.

And I have many (non Soul Scene) black freinds.

And if I turned up for a night out with a "black power" fist with "Keep the faith" on it - They would probably think I had finally lost the plot !!!!

(and walk about 30 paced behind me) Thats all I am saying.

As a slogan / emblem for Soul Music fans in 2010 I think its sort of corny

I personally dont get it, and would not wear it !!

I wasn't on the scene in the 70s so I can't get all sentimental about those days.

Just my view

Social source share

I'm not saying I have no intrest in afro american politics and its obvious links to the music, both past and present.

From Curtis Mayfield to Gang Starr - I am fully aware of the continuing problems that these people still face today.

I am expecially intrested in all aspects of afro american culture, music, and the struggle to obtain their basic human rights.

And I have many (non Soul Scene) black freinds.

And if I turned up for a night out with a "black power" fist with "Keep the faith" on it - They would probably think I had finally lost the plot !!!!

(and walk about 30 paced behind me) Thats all I am saying.

As a slogan / emblem for Soul Music fans in 2010 I think its sort of corny

I personally dont get it, and would not wear it !!

I wasn't on the scene in the 70s so I can't get all sentimental about those days.

Just my view

But its just a black fist Mossy if it was a BP fist it would say bp round the edge and probberly not have KTF.round the edge.nothing to do with wearing black gloves anywere just a fist.............got badges with white fists on fukc all to do with white power,got em with both on whats do they stand for ?...........ph34r.gif

My mate had a big one on the bonnet is tiny fiat 125 i think,must admit i felt a bit embaraced.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!