** Patti Young - Head & Shoulders (Ernstrat) **

• Replies 37
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest smudgesmith

A classic Detroit Northern sound and quite hard to pick up - but does it get played out much these days or is it just too 'old school' :unsure:

Cheers

Richard

Great tune I've played it out about 3 times in 10 yrs

Social source share

Guest Mart B

A classic Detroit Northern sound and quite hard to pick up - but does it get played out much these days or is it just too 'old school' :hatsoff2:

Cheers

Richard

A classic example of a "underplayed oldie not a rare tune",should be played out more often.

It was played out quite alot in the eighties.

Social source share

A classic example of a "underplayed oldie not a rare tune",should be played out more often.

It was played out quite alot in the eighties.

I've played it out but not for a while. Note sure about it being "not a rare tune"? When did you see one for sale last? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Mart B

I've played it out but not for a while. Note sure about it being "not a rare tune"? When did you see one for sale last? :D

Hi Ged

I know its a rare tune value wise i think theres a few in collectors boxes around the Mansfield area,i meant the tune is not a rare oldies tune, i hope thats cleared things up.:lol:

As it ever been booted?

Cheers Mart B

Social source share

Hi Ged

I know its a rare tune value wise i think theres a few in collectors boxes around the Mansfield area,i meant the tune is not a rare oldies tune, i hope thats cleared things up.:lol:

As it ever been booted?

Cheers Mart B

Not that clear mate :lol:

1) it's an oldie and 2) if you try and get one these days IMO it will be a pretty hard one to pick up

That makes it a rare oldie in my book :ohmy::D:thumbsup:

There are loads of records that these days are hard to get, but we all know several people who have copies they picked up years ago

So, I would definitely put it in the rare oldie category

I'm still intrigued by why it doesn't it get played out much

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest Dante

I always thought of it as an over played oldie because it was on a comp I got when I was first getting into the music. Nice to see it's not so overplayed, because it's a great record.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

first became big at the torch......listened to the backing track on an early goldmine c.d.....fantastic production with the kitchen sink thrown in.

Social source share

If you go on the Soulful detroit website, and go into the terrashirma story,Ralph Terrana tells of how he took a sledge hammer to thousands of Patti youngs head and shoulders when he was working for Ernstrat recording studios because it had flopped.

I must admit its not one that pops up for sale every day of the week, great little tune though

Geeoooooooordie

Social source share

If you go on the Soulful detroit website, and go into the terrashirma story,Ralph Terrana tells of how he took a sledge hammer to thousands of Patti youngs head and shoulders when he was working for Ernstrat recording studios because it had flopped.

I must admit its not one that pops up for sale every day of the week, great little tune though

Geeoooooooordie

Cheers Geordie

Sounds interesting - I'm gonna check that out :D

Richard

Social source share

Geeoooooooordie

Had a quick look Geordie and could find mention of Patti Young in a couple of places but nothing about smashing up a load of copies - have you got the link please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest Byrney

A classic Detroit Northern sound and quite hard to pick up - but does it get played out much these days or is it just too 'old school' :D

Cheers

Richard

Its a great Detroit tune, I've wondered if this get played at oldies nights? Also I've been on the keg... but isn't there two versions of this with different endings?

Social source share

Effin brilliant tune.

I remember Gaz Kellett getting me my copy & presenting it to me at a surprise party in Halifax organised by my ex when I came back from Saudi in 87 - I nearly burst into tears....

Obviously theres the other version by Marlena Mars (I think) on MGM but I also had an alternative vocal by Tommy Frontera called Merry-Go-Round on Palmer - its' not a great tune by any standards but unusual if only for the fair-ground organ type thing going on over the track.

Mick

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Mick--when i used to play Tommy(on Palmer) i always preferred the other side--"Street of Shame"-- i think it was

T.C

Social source share

Ouch! You've brought back a painful memory for me...and possibly my biggest vinyl mistake ever...I swapped my copy for a Bob & Earl - 'Oh! Baby Doll' on Tempe many, many moons ago.Mind you, I always wanted more from the Patti Young...the break is magnificent, but the rest kinda just plods along?!

ohmy.gif

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL...I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED IT, SINCE 72, YES I HAVE THE GREEN OOTP AND LOOKED ON IN ENVY WHEN I LOOK THROUGH DJ BOXS GATHERING DUST WITH MARKS ON SLEEVE THAT SHOW A TIDE MARK WHERE IT'S BEEN PULLED UP & PUSHED BACK DOWN AGAIN??THIS TO ME HAS ALL THE QUALITY OF A UK COPY OF RUFUS LUMLEY I:ph34r: 'M STANDING! OH YES! OH YES! YOU ALL NO I AM RIGHT, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.

:no: DAVE(IT'S GOTTA BE NORTHERN SOUL)KIL Aint it thoe!!!!

Social source share

Ouch! You've brought back a painful memory for me...and possibly my biggest vinyl mistake ever...I swapped my copy for a Bob & Earl - 'Oh! Baby Doll' on Tempe many, many moons ago.Mind you, I always wanted more from the Patti Young...the break is magnificent, but the rest kinda just plods along?!

:thumbsup:

Ouch! sorry about that Dave

Totally agree about that break - it's excellent and by far the best part of the song

Thanks everyone for all your comments :)

Anyone ever seen and/or could post up a picture of Patti Young please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest central soul

Ouch! sorry about that Dave

Totally agree about that break - it's excellent and by far the best part of the song

Thanks everyone for all your comments :)

Anyone ever seen and/or could post up a picture of Patti Young please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest central soul

WARNING...blue-eyed Soul alert...WARNING...remove from your shelves immediately...WARNING...offer to Tim Brown asap etc etc

:D

Hi

This is the only the second time I've posted on soul source so i hope im not stepping on anyone's nodgers.

I hope you are jocking, if you aren't then please remember that if you get rid of all the blue-eyed soul Wigan all nighters would not have been eight hours long more like four.

Rob

Social source share

This is the only the second time I've posted on soul source so i hope im not stepping on anyone's nodgers.

I hope you are jocking, if you aren't then please remember that if you get rid of all the blue-eyed soul Wigan all nighters would not have been eight hours long more like four.

Hi Rob,

Naturally I'm joking, hence the :no: and the reference to Tim's collecting habit :D

Welcome to Soulsource, the world of irony and all the wonderful emoticons to express the emotions the written word sometimes can't convey :yes:

Social source share

Guest central soul

Hi Rob,

Naturally I'm joking, hence the :no: and the reference to Tim's collecting habit :D

Welcome to Soulsource, the world of irony and all the wonderful emoticons to express the emotions the written word sometimes can't convey :yes:

Sorry bud

Its like the first day at school. so much to take in, so much to learn.SO MUCH BLOODY SKIRT.

ATB Rob

Social source share

Great record ,and one which I'm certain that I've only seen once whilst perusing vinyl for sale, which I'm sure was at Burnley about eighteen months ago, alas I was shy of the asking price somewhat, and regrettably vinyl of this ilk remains very difficult to obtain:yes:

Social source share

Guest central soul

Great - nice one Rob - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Anyone know which one Patti is please?

They don't really look like sisters to me - obviously hoping Patti is the better looking one of the three!

Don't mind Flynny - he loves his emoticons :ohmy:

Cheers

Richard

Hi Bud

You re right they aren't sisters but they are three Italian girls with wonderful name, go to

doo-wop.blog.org/themes-_young_sisters-274614

ATB

ROB

Social source share

Guest central soul

Hi Bud

You re right they aren't sisters but they are three Italian girls with wonderful name, go to

ATB

ROB

Just noticed two sisters + patti

Now using the powers of deduction within the soul source community can we find the odd one out.

Wheres my deerstalker hat?

Social source share

Hi Bud

ATB

ROB

The Young Sisters were three young Italian girls who hailed from the east side of Detroit and attended Servite High School. Patti Masaglia was the oldest, and sisters Lisa and Angela Pomilia rounded out the group.

:wicked:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

when i decided to offload some more of my detroit collection ,i advertised my mint copy of patty young on ernstrat forsale around 500 and it eventually sold for around 450 and that was only a few months ago on here.i loved the tune but agree with ted massey it never really took off in play sets.but its a hard piece to find.

george

Social source share

I play it on the Amsterdam Soul Club regularly and it goes down really well.

Ralph Terrana also said in his book that the song was offered to Procter & Gamble (the parentcompany of Head & Shoulders) for use in their advertising campaigns but they declined. Probably too black sounding for a product aimed at the white market. Would have sold a bit more (Shampoo and records) if they had used it stating it was a blue eyed singer I reckon.

Btw, still looking for a spare copy. PM me with offers please.

Cheers

Joe

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!