Children At Allnighters

Children at Allnighters  

1. 1. Children at Allnighters

• YES
    • NO

Thats where it falls flat on its face, sorry Ethan.

Why's that Ken? :)

If we don't have 'obvious' child antics thrown in our face and all they do is dance all night (testament to their passion for the music), what's the actual problem?

Not aimed at you Ken, but children see worse antics than those raised at a soul night. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked... did you see... did you hear... no, I didn't because I'm blinkered and am only hearing the music.

Some folk attend to listen and dance not to take in the surrounding 'antics'. I've only seen a minuscule amount of drunks (me included on two occasions lol) and I've yet to meet a drug addict that's obvious. Maybe I'm more green than I like to admit :)

Social source share

• Replies 263
  • Views 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Why's that Ken? :)

If we don't have 'obvious' child antics thrown in our face and all they do is dance all night (testament to their passion for the music), what's the actual problem?

Not aimed at you Ken, but children see worse antics than those raised at a soul night. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked... did you see... did you hear... no, I didn't because I'm blinkered and am only hearing the music.

Some folk attend to listen and dance not to take in the surrounding 'antics'. I've only seen a minuscule amount of drunks (me included on two occasions lol) and I've yet to meet a drug addict that's obvious. Maybe I'm more green than I like to admit :)

Maybe i'm turning into a old grumpy sod like the rest laugh.gif you see Karen we have seen some pretty strong words against,a maybe its about time i started growing up.................besides you didn't include me in your top 100 djs sad.gif

I believe if its the rules then thats it for everyone or is there any point can you imagine Parent A against Parent B parent A is pissed off cause parent B's kids in, be like one of them comedys on BBC 3.

Social source share

Apart from allowing/encouraging a child to dance into the early hours of the morning i thought it was actually against the law for a child to be in a "nightclub" when alcohol is being served . It certainly was in the clubs/bars iv worked in . I voted no.

Social source share

What l find ridiculous........are the posts that say "he,s a lovely lad " or "he,s a good dancer "....OH! thats alright then. phew! for a minute there l thought they,d let a lad in that couldn,t do a back flop or a bit floorwork or used his talc for dancing instead of his nappy..........WAKE UP will ya...........it,s an allnite, seedy,dark place where the devils work is done.......it,s a joke and those that advoate it need ya baggies burn,t at the stake (while ya wearing em)......as far as kids are concerned.................just say NO.........of course...there is an exemption for NOTTS retro (e hum) baggie oldies venues.........

p.s.......what next bingo

MAYBE A CRECHE IN A SECOND ROOM..........THEN THEY CAN BRING EVEN YOUNGER ONES TOO!!! :)

Social source share

Though about voting yes just to be awkward but it's a no I'm afraid! Under 14's no, over 14's could try and eye liner a moustache like I did to get into the KGB (once!) in the 70's!

Comrade (real) Moustache

Social source share

just found out that one allnighter in stoke is introducing baby changing facilities and selling circle nappies......as long as they're good dancers:thumbsup:

Went to my first nighter aged 16,but nearly everyone seemed to be around that age.Except Sam he was 49 even back then.

Social source share

Simon, you said (as have other people at nighters)...

But you were polite to Lottie to the extent of saying what a good dancer she was and held a conversation about her. I'm confused now. :)

I just wondered if this was at an allnighter - and as she looks, speaks, and acts like a 15/16 yr old, how old Lottie actually is?

There's probably a difference between being polite when confronted with something that is already happening, and airing your views on whether it should in fact have happened in the first place. I don't know - perhaps Simon can explain.

Regarding the lad Ethan, and unfortunately for him he's being used as an example as he's the only one I have seen that I can name.........

I was pleasantly surprised to see him on the floor at an alldayer, I was surprised to hear that he was at a soul night, and I would be shocked to see him at an allnighter.

You really shouldn't be confused - you won't like them but just look at the poll results. The few "yes" votes probably account for the few parents that think kids at allnighters is acceptable, oblivious to the fact that the rest of us think otherwise.

No exceptions, and "passion" really doesn't come into it. I was passionate about a lot of things as a kid but couldn't indulge myself untilI I ran away from home at 16 to escape the beatings that came with having my own way. And you know what?.....my parents were probably trying to do the right thing, but I didn't learn that until later. I knew fcuk all at 16 let alone at 12 or 13.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Maybe i'm turning into a old grumpy sod like the rest laugh.gif you see Karen we have seen some pretty strong words against,a maybe its about time i started growing up.................besides you didn't include me in your top 100 djs sad.gif

I believe if its the rules then thats it for everyone or is there any point can you imagine Parent A against Parent B parent A is pissed off cause parent B's kids in, be like one of them comedys on BBC 3.

You'll always be in my top hundred Ken, you know that :)

As for Kev's comments, she's 15 now but has been to numerous nighters for a few years now. Only the ones she likes musically. She, like me, prefers the nighters that play off the wall stuff not your average overplayed stuff.

Social source share

I'll leave you all now to continue your founded and unfounded arguments about who should and who should not be allowed in to soul nights, nighters and the like :)

Happy souling everyone. I'm just glad the internet didn't exist at the time I was out and about :)

Social source share

Guest MickD

In boring blah, blah perhaps, kill this nerd.

But I am alas a post grad and qualified published researcher in the social sciences and my obvious first ask is define 'children' within the context of the scene - this is very difficult, for me anyway.

There 'once' did exist a wonderful due process that was thankfully my own personal experience in eventual vault to and life felt appreciation of the scene. Secondary school parties, teachers going nuts, the local youth club where amongst the crisps and pop a single flourescent tube or coloured spinning circles behind the DJ (usually a local lad) lighting up the night and then for me and I'm felt sure many others the soul sound just hit home (or it did not), for me aged 14 it was 'Needle in a Haystack' and 'Heatwave' - sold! Sold forever, but having two sons now aged 24 and 22, they've both honestly heard the music and the tales from the old fellah in their nodded appreciation of a time that was but neither on ask would seriously condone 'young kids' on their respective scenes. As adults/parents we have a simple 'duty of care' to afford our children their childhood for as long as it might last! To my mind the NSS has lasted to date and will continue to last based on its primary underground origins denying the devilish commercial predators any inroad in exploiting, dismantling and thereby eventually destroying our scene that has and continues to outlive any and all genres of popular culture (despite best try in doing so). Elvis, Dylan, The Beatles, Sex Pistols, Madonna, Take That , Spice Girls (barrff) - NS just keeps on keeping on!!

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

why can't us adults go out to venues which are for adults without having kids there. if they loved soul music they will wait till enough and then attend venues. what do people want kids to come along and run the venues while we all retire

i couldn't care less if kids are well behaved i still don't want to see them in the venues i go to. i feel that if i was talking and swore i would be told mind your language if kids around.

Social source share

Guest liamb

I think children at nighters are fine as long as they are into the music and want to be there which the very few children on the scene and the ones I have seen do and are the ones to keep it going.

allnighters are a much safer than any nightclub or bars and pubs in city centres I have seen lots of horrible things happen down town in clubs with drunken idiots and its not nice If I have any children I would not mind them being on the scene and would prefer them to go to soul nights because they are a lot safer, im 18 been on the scene for a few years now I was 15 when I started to attend soul nights and nighters I go every weekend with out fail which I have been doing for 4 years and will do till I die !!! and I wont go down town to clubs or bars unless its a friends birthday or special occasion I was going clubbing at the age of 15/16 and the whole time spent watching my back for idiots wanting to fight and cause trouble and that's not a friendly environment but the soul scene is completely different it is a friendly atmosphere and never any trouble (not that I have seen anyway) and I think for children old enough to be into the music, dance and have a good time is fine and at 13 I think that's possible Im very good friends with Brent and Ethan and Brent knows Ethan is ok there is not just Brent watching over Ethan there is hundreds of other soulies watching him to, not that he needs watching he is simply in a mind of pure passion on the floor showing most people up with an amazing display of dancing that he has picked up so quick I look at Ethan like a little brother he is not a young kid on the scene he is one of us a soulie !! he has the same passion that we all have he has great knowledge about records and the scene as a whole I think the people doubting kids at nighters and nights really need to talk to him he is a lovely genuine young lad with pure passion and interest keen to hear your stories and experiences and knowledge of records or new dance moves or to simply introduce and make friends. He is a real credit to his parents and the scene !!!!! and people was going to Wigan at a young age of around 13 a few of my mates I have spoken to on the scene said they was going to Wigan at 13 why is it different now ?

and for the baggies and vest I wear baggies, not to fit in because I want to wear them I like them like the original 60s/70s fashion and style and also the practicality and it is the same for Ethan I always wear levis loafers polo's original clothing it is who I am im a soulboy/mod and will die that way I have taken stick for the way I am from friends not understanding it all but there is no way to describe it, it is just a way of life!!! I wouldn't spend all of my time and money on the scene on my scooter my record collection my original clothing and sleeping for a few hours and struggling to walk for the rest of the week because of an allnighter other wise !!

i think young teens like Ethan are a credit to the scene and not enough of them, after all they are going to keep it going its my life and don't want the scene to die in years to come because of a lack of today's youth not getting into it and not letting children into soul nights and nighters will do this and the scene will die so I will be in soul nights and nighters on my own with a few others in 20 30 yrs when im middle aged, im lucky I found the scene and am on it and have been taken in and made feel part of it it's a 2nd family to me, many young uns don't know about it I wasn't brought up on it I was brought up on motown and loved it, it had that feel but I went to a soul night on my own accord and fell in love with northern strait away and my passion for it indescribable

just my opinion not meant to offend anyone in anyway

And keep the faith Ethan and any other young soulies don't let anyone's opinion you stick to what you are doing brother don't let anyone's opinion change that mate

KTF Young Liam !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

As usual our Soul Source forum allows us to expand and explore the reasoning and why's and why not's but we more than often go off on tangents which are stimulating yet I personally do not wish to debate the benefits of kiddies in allnighters because I find my self senselessly discussing the wearing of baggies, how cute the kid is, how ace he/she looks doing a backdrop, how passionate the parent is, how the child cane name the "B" side of the Ric Tic catalogue, how early some of us started, and how children at allnighters are the futre of the scene.

I don't dislike children, I like Lottie a Lottie and I have a real soft spot for her mum!

I do kinda want to have a place where I can go as an adult with other adults and escape the fact that our washing machine is breaking down, my MOT is due, the gas bill needs, paying, my knees hurt and I feel old!

I'm not a drinker so I don't disappear to pubs to enjoy a bit of me time, this may seam selfish but I aint Victor Meldrew if I just want to have an evening out away from children and the normal memories of a dull and boring week.

My hobby is not a Saturday night soul night, my hobby is driving across the nation to immerse my self into the warm and familiar waters of Allnighters and all I want is to relax in the presence of like minded adults so I can let my hair down and do what I want to do without having the reminder that I should be being more responsible.

There are enough soul nights that allow responsible parents/guardians to bring their little ones so they can relax and enjoy with mums and dads.

I have been an avid supporter of allnighters during the lean years and also during this revival and its great to see so many people enjoying them selves.

Liam I have on four occasions offered to take you to allnighters and you are hardly a child, your dancing is superb mate but you are not a hardcore allnighter go'er and your occasional allnighter visit does you justice but I'm not too convinced that you are in a position to be effected by what happens on the allnighter scene, I am and like many others I see some thing special being challenged to the extent that it may well alter the whole structure and flavor of the allnighter scene.

I am not leading any charge to stop kiddies at allnighters but I will not attend any allnighter that allows children in.

This is my personal view and one I feel very strongly about.

Social source share

Went to my first nighter aged 16,but nearly everyone seemed to be around that age.Except Sam he was 49 even back then.

Thats the point thats been overlooked by many..

Back in the day it was a youth thing and many at 14/15 and younger were going to all niters....

Its not the same now with a much much older crowd...

I would not want children at soul events or in a place for adults with drinking and other things going on..

I would say no to children in public after the hours of 6pm... :thumbsup: or the Children Catcher is called..

untitled.bmp

untitled.bmp

Social source share

Thats the point thats been overlooked by many..

Back in the day it was a youth thing and many at 14/15 and younger were going to all niters....

Its not the same now with a much much older crowd...

I would not want children at soul events or in a place for adults with drinking and other things going on..

I would say no to children in public after the hours of 6pm... :lol: or the Children Catcher is called..

lollypops, lollypops, come and get your lollypops.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest littlemissoul

I met a young lad at Sandra's charity alldayer he was 7 years old (think he is 8 tomorrow) he was a great dancer was there with his dad he caused no trouble his name is Elliot he was in a vest and bags had his beer towel through his belt and he looked great didnt get the feeling that he had been forced to wear these clothes or to attend. I have met Ethan a few times and he is also a very nice lad everyone is always saying that the scene is like family well every family has kids in it. My daughter is 20 and she has raided the back of my wardrobe and pinched all my old clothes that I can no longer fit into:( and she is not into soul I take it as a compliment that she likes the clothes I used to wear when I was her age.

Most of the young kids have left and gone home by midnight.

The only thing I have a problem with is the young girls who are wearing great big high heels that would go right through your foot if they danced :thumbsup: on you and thats me being a hypocrite because I used to wear stiletoes

If your kids are into football you take em to matches or you take em to wresteling bouts if that is there thing how much aggresion do you see at these a heck of a lot more than at an allniter in mho.

So I am not voting because I dont mind either way and dont feel that it is my choice to make it is up to the child and their parents who know them a lot better than me and know how they will behave and how much they can take.

KTF xXx

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I do kinda want to have a place where I can go as an adult with other adults and escape the fact that our washing machine is breaking down, my MOT is due, the gas bill needs, paying, my knees hurt and I feel old!

Absolutely spot on mate. There are plenty of other places for families to go (i've been to most of them).

There's nothing grumpy or unreasonable about wanting a bit of time with other adults without kids around. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think children at nighters are fine as long as they are into the music and want to be there which the very few children on the scene and the ones I have seen do and are the ones to keep it going.

allnighters are a much safer than any nightclub or bars and pubs in city centres I have seen lots of horrible things happen down town in clubs with drunken idiots and its not nice If I have any children I would not mind them being on the scene and would prefer them to go to soul nights because they are a lot safer, im 18 been on the scene for a few years now I was 15 when I started to attend soul nights and nighters I go every weekend with out fail which I have been doing for 4 years and will do till I die !!! and I wont go down town to clubs or bars unless its a friends birthday or special occasion I was going clubbing at the age of 15/16 and the whole time spent watching my back for idiots wanting to fight and cause trouble and that's not a friendly environment but the soul scene is completely different it is a friendly atmosphere and never any trouble (not that I have seen anyway) and I think for children old enough to be into the music, dance and have a good time is fine and at 13 I think that's possible Im very good friends with Brent and Ethan and Brent knows Ethan is ok there is not just Brent watching over Ethan there is hundreds of other soulies watching him to, not that he needs watching he is simply in a mind of pure passion on the floor showing most people up with an amazing display of dancing that he has picked up so quick I look at Ethan like a little brother he is not a young kid on the scene he is one of us a soulie !! he has the same passion that we all have he has great knowledge about records and the scene as a whole I think the people doubting kids at nighters and nights really need to talk to him he is a lovely genuine young lad with pure passion and interest keen to hear your stories and experiences and knowledge of records or new dance moves or to simply introduce and make friends. He is a real credit to his parents and the scene !!!!! and people was going to Wigan at a young age of around 13 a few of my mates I have spoken to on the scene said they was going to Wigan at 13 why is it different now ?

and for the baggies and vest I wear baggies, not to fit in because I want to wear them I like them like the original 60s/70s fashion and style and also the practicality and it is the same for Ethan I always wear levis loafers polo's original clothing it is who I am im a soulboy/mod and will die that way I have taken stick for the way I am from friends not understanding it all but there is no way to describe it, it is just a way of life!!! I wouldn't spend all of my time and money on the scene on my scooter my record collection my original clothing and sleeping for a few hours and struggling to walk for the rest of the week because of an allnighter other wise !!

i think young teens like Ethan are a credit to the scene and not enough of them, after all they are going to keep it going its my life and don't want the scene to die in years to come because of a lack of today's youth not getting into it and not letting children into soul nights and nighters will do this and the scene will die so I will be in soul nights and nighters on my own with a few others in 20 30 yrs when im middle aged, im lucky I found the scene and am on it and have been taken in and made feel part of it it's a 2nd family to me, many young uns don't know about it I wasn't brought up on it I was brought up on motown and loved it, it had that feel but I went to a soul night on my own accord and fell in love with northern strait away and my passion for it indescribable

just my opinion not meant to offend anyone in anyway

And keep the faith Ethan and any other young soulies don't let anyone's opinion you stick to what you are doing brother don't let anyone's opinion change that mate

KTF Young Liam !! :thumbsup:

Hi liam ..... On behalf of one young soulie I thank you for the support you, and his other friends have shown for him........ To comment on your final statement Liam, IT WILL NOT.

Before I answer any of the points and questions asked by some of the apparent Paedophobes...... What are the moderators of this site doing allowing Names to be named in the first place?? What crime are these young soulies being accused of ? Poor moderation ???

According to licencing laws as i understand them ..... No entry to licenced premises under the age of 12........ No consumption of alcohol under the age of 18 ..... Unless Where food is being served ............. wine may be consumed age 14 when served exclusively as part of the meal................ Specific variations may be imposed by the local licencing officer.

With regard to Public Entertainment licencing for live and mechanically reproduced music, dancing and entertainment there is No age restriction.

The only thing that may restrict these youngsters is with regard to public liability insurance, and as most all nighters come within the remit of local communities/ local authorities they are unlikely to have age restrictions.......

So unless these young soulies enter into activities that breach the public order act ......... They are legal .....

And excuse me if i am wrong ...... but since when Have all...nighters been the exclusive domain of over 45s ???? Or did I miss an act of parliament published in Blues and Soul ???

If your concern is for their safety and wellbeing, I can certainly assure you that their safety is paramount and that they are much safer under my scrutiny and the scrutiny of friends that have been Deemed Locum parentis. Than being allowed on the local park ( 3 reported rapes in the last year ) and stood witha gang on the corner ( youth clubs went years ago Victor }.

If your concern is that you,d rather not make a prat out of yourself in front of someone who might remember .... thats your choice?

If your feel that strongly about the subject that you wouldnt attend ... then IMO not as valid a reason as chit music, or middle of the road Djs ......But.... Once again ... Your Choice ....

And ....... the thought comes to mind .... Should we start a poll to see if we should encourage you to return??? ........... Maybe not ??

I can also Assure you that for the posters who mentioned Nappies Etc . That particular phobia ,may come from the fact that you, will have to wear incontinence pads, and be spoon fed long before they have to be..................... Its called old age??

Remember to them.............. An all nighter is when you can dance to the music you love , cant hear anywhere else and socialise with people you respect and have similar values regardless of age, creed or politics To you it seems an all nighter............... Is when you dont have to get out of bed for a pee 5 times a night.

I will stop him from going when i have to drag him out of the bar in a drunken stupor, letching at the women with large chest on the dancefloor, Comes home from school and downloads Chemist screwing for beginners or how to make Drynamil spansules out of a blue peter tracy island.

Get real ........... by all means voice your opinion and vote ... but to try and raise the profile of ones views and encourage others to partake in what has become close to a witch hunt with exaggerated pseudo arguements verges on persecution.. if you need help with your Paedofobia please seek it elsewhere.

And just to upset some more paeople Keep The Fluff ............ Brent

Social source share

Its only been over 45's at nighters since,well lots of people got to over 45.

When i go out to soul nights/weekenders of all nighters,i go for adult company.My kids have grown up, and my son has his own social life which includes music of his choice ie:hip hop etc.

Gone are the times when i had to use my quality time with the kids in mind 24/7.And i guess its the same for many on here.

Brent,next you'll be implying that if we don't include our children in our social lives,we are bad parents.!!!

I've said it earlier.I was 16 when i first went to Wigan -- but everyone else was within that age group,or seemed to be. A 26 year old would have seemed old then.

Now we are talking 13 to 56 year old. 43 year age span.Very different times now.

At 50 something years old,the novelty of kids has run out.Unless they are relatives.:thumbsup: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What are the moderators of this site doing allowing Names to be named in the first place?? What crime are these young soulies being accused of ? Poor moderation ???

you can sack that game for a start

if you didn't want your kid named or what ever then you should have reported the post the first time you saw it

got any further problems with the site or the moderation then post your concerns in the feedback forum

site and moderation got f*** all to do with the views that members have posted so don't bother adding it to your rants

Edited by mike
Social source share

Guest proudlove

I've said it earlier.I was 16 when i first went to Wigan -- but everyone else was within that age group,or seemed to be. A 26 year old would have seemed old then.

?

I think you will find that when Wigan opened there were a large percentage of people that were in their twenties,it was in the later part of the seventies when it turned into a youth club.

I also think that people are over reacting to Simons question.The only nighter I have seen anyone who could be classed as a "kid" at is Radcliffe,and I don't think(though I might be wrong) I have seen a child any where else,and nobody had to moderate their behaviour because of him.

The comments about kids not wanting to emulate their parents is in the main correct,my two boys think I am an old fashioned old fart,and they are right,but ,you will always get the occasional youngster who wants to get involved,and it is the OCCASIONAL youngster,I don't see the problem.

I would see a problem if there was kids running amok like at a family wedding or a school disco (bit like Wigan then),but the fact remains there isn't.

Take a chill pill and relax................................

Steve

Social source share

?

I think you will find that when Wigan opened there were a large percentage of people that were in their twenties,it was in the later part of the seventies when it turned into a youth club.

I also think that people are over reacting to Simons question.The only nighter I have seen anyone who could be classed as a "kid" at is Radcliffe,and I don't think(though I might be wrong) I have seen a child any where else,and nobody had to moderate their behaviour because of him.

The comments about kids not wanting to emulate their parents is in the main correct,my two boys think I am an old fashioned old fart,and they are right,but ,you will always get the occasional youngster who wants to get involved,and it is the OCCASIONAL youngster,I don't see the problem.

I would see a problem if there was kids running amok like at a family wedding or a school disco (bit like Wigan then),but the fact remains there isn't.

Steve

At last a voice of reason Good post pal.... Regards Brent

Social source share

As usual our Soul Source forum allows us to expand and explore the reasoning and why's and why not's but we more than often go off on tangents which are stimulating yet I personally do not wish to debate the benefits of kiddies in allnighters because I find my self senselessly discussing the wearing of baggies, how cute the kid is, how ace he/she looks doing a backdrop, how passionate the parent is, how the child cane name the "B" side of the Ric Tic catalogue, how early some of us started, and how children at allnighters are the futre of the scene.

I don't dislike children, I like Lottie a Lottie and I have a real soft spot for her mum!

hi simon, does that mean u nt going to radcliffe anymore, i saw the young lad saturday night, to me he seems like a special little souly to me, full of passion i think he should be an exception just my view. Billy:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm not a drinker so I don't disappear to pubs to enjoy a bit of me time, this may seam selfish but I aint Victor Meldrew if I just want to have an evening out away from children and the normal memories of a dull and boring week.

My hobby is not a Saturday night soul night, my hobby is driving across the nation to immerse my self into the warm and familiar waters of Allnighters and all I want is to relax in the presence of like minded adults so I can let my hair down and do what I want to do without having the reminder that I should be being more responsible.

There are enough soul nights that allow responsible parents/guardians to bring their little ones so they can relax and enjoy with mums and dads.

I have been an avid supporter of allnighters during the lean years and also during this revival and its great to see so many people enjoying them selves.

Liam I have on four occasions offered to take you to allnighters and you are hardly a child, your dancing is superb mate but you are not a hardcore allnighter go'er and your occasional allnighter visit does you justice but I'm not too convinced that you are in a position to be effected by what happens on the allnighter scene, I am and like many others I see some thing special being challenged to the extent that it may well alter the whole structure and flavor of the allnighter scene.

I am not leading any charge to stop kiddies at allnighters but I will not attend any allnighter that allows children in.

Social source share

hi simon, does that mean u nt going to radcliffe anymore, i saw the young lad saturday night, to me he seems like a special little souly to me, full of passion i think he should be an exception just my view. Billy:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

ive enjoyed reading this thread its been thought provoking in some respects and theres been alot of sense from some quarters-my view is a firm no-to me it did not hit home untill a couple of months back when i was having a cuppa round me old mates house AL CONEY -Al has a pic of us lot in 1978 on the bus on the way to the casino GAZ Simons Harry from darlo Johnny Mercer etc and i must admitt when i looked at it i was agasht "we were barely out of nappies lol-and we were proper naughty lads lol.So exposure to older nutters-gear-gear talk - -etc is just not good regardless of what year we are in and bet your bottom doller -young people will be exposed.

The wider societal issue is young peoples consiousness and ofcourse alot of them know waht goes on etc-thats why my 16 year old daughter looks through me when i come back from dos -kids arnt daft but younger ones really should be kept away untill 18 by which time there will be downloading kings of leon and pink lol.

Ive also never bought into the "we need young people on the scene"to me the issue is we need ABLE BODY PEOPLE LOL,the music willcarry on with us gone lol.

BAZ A

Baz was it a picture similar to this one...... Gateshead Low Fell crew..... can anyone spot 2 well known lads who are still high profile on the scene today....

ps... they were all 14 / 15 yrs.... apart from one..... who lead them all astray :thumbsup::D

post-5590-023689200 1280868627_thumb.jpg post-5590-018808300 1280868665_thumb.jpg post-5590-000394400 1280868733_thumb.jpg

Sorry for going a bit off thread there... but my vote is definately NO....... there are far too many on the scene already and they are near to drawing their pension !!!:ohmy:

Philly

post-5590-023689200 1280868627_thumb.jpg

post-5590-018808300 1280868665_thumb.jpg

post-5590-000394400 1280868733_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philly
Social source share

?

Steve

Yes,Thats what i said, re: your opening paragraph.Folks were'nt in their 50's like now.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

An emphatic no to the original question.

Anyone who can't understand why other attendees find the sight of kids at allnighters slightly off-putting are simply delusional. This was once a diverse and alternative scene, but increasingly now it seems to bear the hallmarks of a bad package holiday.

See you in the ball pool.

Social source share

An emphatic no to the original question.

Anyone who can't understand why other attendees find the sight of kids at allnighters slightly off-putting are simply delusional. This was once a diverse and alternative scene, but increasingly now it seems to bear the hallmarks of a bad package holiday.

See you in the ball pool.

Is that a 'professional' opinion? :)

Social source share

Sat and read ALL of this last night, then went to bed and had a think about it.

Got to vote no to children as I did feel uneasy at such a young child at Radcliffe. (wasn't sure if he was there all night tho).

On the other hand, there are young adults who fit right in but then I don't class them as children.

I didn't go to my first all-niter til I was 18 (I didn't cross my mother) but I sure as hell was desperate to.

I still think if the yonug adults (16-18) really wanna go and have adult supervision, then they should be welcomed but children younger than that shouldn't be encouraged to stay up all night (plenty of all-dayer/soul venues out there)...:)

Social source share

Baz was it a picture similar to this one...... Gateshead Low Fell crew..... can anyone spot 2 well known lads who are still high profile on the scene today....

ps... they were all 14 / 15 yrs.... apart from one..... who lead them all astray :):lol:

post-5590-023689200 1280868627_thumb.jpg post-5590-018808300 1280868665_thumb.jpg post-5590-000394400 1280868733_thumb.jpg

Sorry for going a bit off thread there... but my vote is definately NO....... there are far too many on the scene already and they are near to drawing their pension !!!:lol:

Philly

I recognise Spanner as he has never changed ( Ian McManus ) and nearly all the others but the names are lost on me as they were younger than us lot,honestly cant say who the other one is on the scene today , who is it ?

Edited by headsy
Social source share

Sorry Liam , do you mean into the music of forced onto the music because the parents are darn right bloody selfish or neither of them can be arsed to stop in and do the parenting thing , frightened that they will be missed or miss something . My missus is is a district manager in the Social Services , involved in children . She my freind is appauled as I am . I suppose if owt happened the blame would fall sqaurely on my missus and her team.

I have seen kids , yes kids aged around 6-8 yrs old at various venues ( and this ain't a knock at adults clothing ) wearing baggies , vests , and all the rest of the uniform , they looked absolutely fookin stupid , they would have shit kittens if any of there mates happened to walk through the door. At the end of the day ''Theres a time and a place for everything '' and kids don't belong in a club they belong at home or socialising with kids of there own age.

Tony

Social source share

I find it rather unfair that you're kind of insinuating that children attending all-nighters are of interest to social services which makes me believe you're implying that parents that take their children aren't looking after them. I can't see how blame would land on the shoulders of social services any more than if something happened in a shopping centre, youth club or swimming pool for example. It's a 'family outing' regardless of the venue.

There far more concern overall regarding children and social services aside from the odd child at a soul night.

I think it's been established that the young ones don't stay all night in any case :D

We'lll have to agree to differ as we all have different opinions in respect of children and I'm not deluded or psychologically tainted in any way contrary to popular belief laugh.gif

Social source share

I find it rather unfair that you're kind of insinuating that children attending all-nighters are of interest to social services which makes me believe you're implying that parents that take their children aren't looking after them. I can't see how blame would land on the shoulders of social services any more than if something happened in a shopping centre, youth club or swimming pool for example. It's a 'family outing' regardless of the venue.

There far more concern overall regarding children and social services aside from the odd child at a soul night.

I think it's been established that the young ones don't stay all night in any case :ohmy:

We'lll have to agree to differ as we all have different opinions in respect of children and I'm not deluded or psychologically tainted in any way contrary to popular belief laugh.gif

Maybe that came over a bit harsh , but as we all know drugs are widely available at niters , so if a accident were to happen while the parents were for instance dancing or even leaving the child in the care of a drug fuelled person( that sounds a hard statement , but you know what I mean) then I'm affraid the SS and the police would be involved for sure.

deluded , psychologically tainted .....you !!!! .........never :D , psychologically deluded and tainted ...well :lol: , only joking

Social source share

I don't know what happened to my post above, but it never got replyed to. I'm now gonna give my 2 pennith. I saw this young lad at raddcliff saturday allnighter, I thought what a sensible young lad he was, he loved his dancing and was very passionate about it, kept himself to himself. I think he went about 3 o clock, if he was my boy I would be really proud of him. Ive got 4 boys myself between 15 and 21, all into there kickboxing. They can do all the moves but they hate the music! Thats another story. If your looking in little lad, keep on keeping on!

Billy

Social source share

Guest liamb

Sorry Liam , do you mean into the music of forced onto the music because the parents are darn right bloody selfish or neither of them can be arsed to stop in and do the parenting thing , frightened that they will be missed or miss something . My missus is is a district manager in the Social Services , involved in children . She my freind is appauled as I am . I suppose if owt happened the blame would fall sqaurely on my missus and her team.

I have seen kids , yes kids aged around 6-8 yrs old at various venues ( and this ain't a knock at adults clothing ) wearing baggies , vests , and all the rest of the uniform , they looked absolutely fookin stupid , they would have shit kittens if any of there mates happened to walk through the door. At the end of the day ''Theres a time and a place for everything '' and kids don't belong in a club they belong at home or socialising with kids of there own age.

Tony

i mean if children at allnighters are they because they are forced that is completely unfair, but if they want to go that's fine the children i have seen at nighters are having a great time and putting a great display of dancing and showing the same passion that most of us have and causing no trouble at all the one place wear they are all night is on the floor as for most of us not running round like children they are no bother at all and they are well looked after by there parents and by hundreds of others keeping an eye on them I certainly do, and for the clothing im 18 i wear baggies and my friends have seen me i have taken a lot of stick for them but that's me and don't forget the reason for them being worn its the practicality of them people might think i look silly but i would look a lot sillier if i had jeans or trousers on and a big rip in the crotch because of floor work and doing the splits and a sweaty smelly t-shirt instead of a nice cool practical vest. im a soulboy/mod when i was at collage all i had on was loafers, desert boots, levis, polo's, check shirts, Harington, original parka, always looked smart i got loads of stick i stud out but that's me that's who i am i could care less what other people think i love everything about the scene including the cloths that's why im on the scene. and i wouldn't want to hang around in a club with people my own age i have done that and seen horrible things my mates being stabbed glassed kicked near to death instead of going to a soul night with a brilliant friendly atmosphere with people there for the same thing i am the music to dance and socialise.

Keep the Faith Young liam :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest liamb

I don't know what happened to my post above, but it never got replyed to. I'm now gonna give my 2 pennith. I saw this young lad at raddcliff saturday allnighter, I thought what a sensible young lad he was, he loved his dancing and was very passionate about it, kept himself to himself. I think he went about 3 o clock, if he was my boy I would be really proud of him. Ive got 4 boys myself between 15 and 21, all into there kickboxing. They can do all the moves but they hate the music! Thats another story. If your looking in little lad, keep on keeping on!

Billy

well said mate spot on this is my point they might be a bit smaller and younger but act no different they are soulies same as us should be tret no different we are all the same we love the music, he is most definatly a credit to his parents

KTF young liam :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

Children at Allnighters

think youre bang out of order about the young peron being at certain niters! he is allways with his dad and is a very sensible young lad that absolutely loves northern soul! and you want to burst his bubble? or any other young soulie that might appear? he is very knowledgable on the music and already an outstanding dancer!!! it would be great too see other youngsters with the same passion for the music come on the scene and at least we know they will keep the scene going.I was 16yrs old when i first went to wigan casino 1974 i obviously lied about my age and still have my membership and i looked about 12 lol!!! message to the young lad and his father keep going and dont be disheartned by any negative comments on here mate ! i predict you to win a major dance competition within the next 2 years if this bloke asnt got you barred from niters ???.

Yes or No

Children at Allnighters and weekenders?

Kinell!!!!

What the hey is going on????

Can't parents respect that this is a time for grown ups, what the F are promoters doing allowing children into venues?

Social source share

i mean if children at allnighters are they because they are forced that is completely unfair, but if they want to go that's fine the children i have seen at nighters are having a great time and putting a great display of dancing and showing the same passion that most of us have and causing no trouble at all the one place wear they are all night is on the floor as for most of us not running round like children they are no bother at all and they are well looked after by there parents and by hundreds of others keeping an eye on them I certainly do, and for the clothing im 18 i wear baggies and my friends have seen me i have taken a lot of stick for them but that's me and don't forget the reason for them being worn its the practicality of them people might think i look silly but i would look a lot sillier if i had jeans or trousers on and a big rip in the crotch because of floor work and doing the splits and a sweaty smelly t-shirt instead of a nice cool practical vest. im a soulboy/mod when i was at collage all i had on was loafers, desert boots, levis, polo's, check shirts, Harington, original parka, always looked smart i got loads of stick i stud out but that's me that's who i am i could care less what other people think i love everything about the scene including the cloths that's why im on the scene. and i wouldn't want to hang around in a club with people my own age i have done that and seen horrible things my mates being stabbed glassed kicked near to death instead of going to a soul night with a brilliant friendly atmosphere with people there for the same thing i am the music to dance and socialise.

Keep the Faith Young liam :yes:

:yes:

That's food for thought mate, and very well put too.

Thing is, when I saw that youngster (who shall remain nameless :thumbsup: ) on the floor, there was an even younger lad there - a 7 yr old who had the moves! So, where do we draw the line with allnighters?

For me, like I said in an earlier post, if they can get there on their own and blag their way in - that's fine by me. If they need parents or quasi-parents around, it's a no.

There's plenty of alldayers and suitable soul nites (with an early finish for you my boy :lol: ) for those cutting their teeth on the scene by way of parental introduction. Never mind the "oh, they're only there 'till 10" - go to a local soul nite then, if they'll let you in, and leave the allnighters for those grown up enough to want something extra.

Social source share

No one has to explain clothing to me , I am 55 and wore that stuff at a time when it was a real fashion , not retro , poor , unrealistic , fake ,nothing like , and what ever else . The point here is KIDS not teenagers . KIDS do not belong at SOUL NIGHTS or ALL-NIGHTERS or anywhere else but home for that matter ,with parents who give a fook . ........Am I old fashioned or what?

Edited by MAK
Social source share

Billy

Hi Billy I took him home late this one pal ..... 2.30 he usually stays tll about 1... 1.30 . He prefers to go to an all nghter , as he gets to hear tunes that he cant hear at a soul night, or download from you tube . etc.

His favourite Djs happen to be Kev Murphy ... Andy Dyson .... Karl Rhodes Sean Chapman ... Nige Brown ..... non of which are likely to play rare tunes at a soul night.

He wears retro clothing because HE wants to ...... Outside of soul nights he wears Doc Martens , Levis, Ben Shermans , and has asked for a Crombie for christmas. and his mates dont say a word... he is what he is .... a soulie

He is the 5th of 7 children that vary in age from 38 down to 8 and is the only one to Choose Soul as a passion .... I spend as much time with Him as I do with his brothers , sisters , and my grandchildren and their hobbies that are as varied as Football , Drawing , Soul music , fishing etc so on any given day i am as likely to be found collecting worms as collecting records. Still finding time to pay the bills, be dads taxis, personal banker for children that left home while they still knew everything, Have sore knees , MOT the car Etc. And still Be PROUD OF ALL MY KIDS.

He is so motivated, when i cant be bothered he has been known to resort to bribery, with such things as IF i iron your shirt and do your pants can we go ??? LOL.

Accademically he is n the top 5% of his year at school and his gong to venues has been dependant on that being maintained.

He will be 14 at the beginning of september and as such not A CHILD ...... HE IS A YOUNG SOULIE....... He is more mature than many of the ADULT ??? people that go to all nghters. AND Certainly more emotionally stable than many of them.

He Does know what devils work is done at all nighters and is mature anough to turn a blind eye to it.

What I cannot understand is how actually has his presence at a venue affected someone else???

Cheers Billy Regards and Respect ......Brent

And to the others ... You Know Who you are .......

Has he shit on someones chair ??? or in your manbag??? or is he just a better dancer or more passionate soulie ???

Have you some emotional hangup about youngsters ???? Why start a thread about youngsters in the first place that was bound to turn into a witch hunt. or was that your agenda??? well done you PEADOPHOBE ! What Harm was he doing ???

Never mind Victor Meldrew ...... More like John Wayne Gacey.... Hope your fukin proud of yourself.....

And thanks to the knob who took it upon themselves to contact a venue owner ...... The youngster has been asked not to attend again. Well DONE ... we have our suspicions who?

At this moment I would be ashamed to call myself a soulie with a spirit of tolerance and acceptance.

Please now can we call an end to this witch hunt ......... you win.

Edited by brent
Social source share

Hi Billy I took him home late this one pal ..... 2.30 he usually stays tll about 1... 1.30 . He prefers to go to an all nghter , as he gets to hear tunes that he cant hear at a soul night, or download from you tube . etc.

His favourite Djs happen to be Kev Murphy ... Andy Dyson .... Karl Rhodes Sean Chapman ... Nige Brown ..... non of which are likely to play rare tunes at a soul night.

He wears retro clothing because HE wants to ...... Outside of soul nights he wears Doc Martens , Levis, Ben Shermans , and has asked for a Crombie for christmas. and his mates dont say a word... he is what he is .... a soulie

He is the 5th of 7 children that vary in age from 38 down to 8 and is the only one to Choose Soul as a passion .... I spend as much time with Him as I do with his brothers , sisters , and my grandchildren and their hobbies that are as varied as Football , Drawing , Soul music , fishing etc so on any given day i am as likely to be found collecting worms as collecting records. Still finding time to pay the bills, be dads taxis, personal banker for children that left home while they still knew everything, Have sore knees , MOT the car Etc. And still Be PROUD OF ALL MY KIDS.

He is so motivated, when i cant be bothered he has been known to resort to bribery, with such things as IF i iron your shirt and do your pants can we go ??? LOL.

Accademically he is n the top 5% of his year at school and his gong to venues has been dependant on that being maintained.

He will be 14 at the beginning of september and as such not A CHILD ...... HE IS A YOUNG SOULIE....... He is more mature than many of the ADULT ??? people that go to all nghters. AND Certainly more emotionally stable than many of them.

He Does know what devils work is done at all nighters and is mature anough to turn a blind eye to it.

What I cannot understand is how actually has his presence at a venue affected someone else???

Cheers Billy Regards and Respect ......Brent

And to the others ... You Know Who you are .......

Has he shit on someones chair ??? or in your manbag??? or is he just a better dancer or more passionate soulie ???

Have you some emotional hangup about youngsters ???? Why start a thread about youngsters in the first place that was bound to turn into a witch hunt. or was that your agenda??? well done you PEADOPHOBE ! What Harm was he doing ???

Never mind Victor Meldrew ...... More like John Wayne Gacey.... Hope your fukin proud of yourself.....

And thanks to the knob who took it upon themselves to contact a venue owner ...... The youngster has been asked not to attend again. Well DONE ... we have our suspicions who?

At this moment I would be ashamed to call myself a soulie with a spirit of tolerance and acceptance.

nice post brent hold ur head high very high respect to u and ur son.

Billy:hatsoff2:

Social source share

How terribly vindictive of them. But what goes around comes around. I predict they'll still be complaining about something else if there aren't young people at the same nighters as them.

I do an awful lot of miles every year attending soul events up and down the country. I have never ever ever been irritated by youngsters who are there in a soulful capacity. It warms the cockles of my heart to see such innocent wide eyed passion.

I hope the snitch is happy now that someone's enjoyment of our wonderful music has been unnecessarily, and childishly, taken away from them.

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

Now then ....

yep he,s youre son and like casper commented earlier ethan is close friends of me casper,sue,young liam,joe beech,carl the legend piper,sammy the man mr dee, chip shop chippy and we all look after him like one soul family !!! ethan to win major dance competition within two years ! go tiny terror !!! ktf.

. Having read the posts from both sides of this debate ... Some interesting..some......... none the less relevant ........ But. seemingly posted by Victor Meldrew ................... This thread seems to have degenerated into a witch- hunt against two youngsters in particular .

Northern Soul and all nighters has never been mainstream and as a subculture, evolved its own accepted unwritten rules and etiquette that enabled it to survive...

Some of these rituals of acceptance and tolerance were created out of a need to avoid confrontation and clashes between hormonal youngsters coming to an all nighter from all walks of life, with one goal....... soul music. something that is still relevant in todays climate.

So why do we become so insular ? Trying to stop these youngsters from becoming the next generation of soulies with similar rituals and values? We made the rules as youngsters so why not accept these young soulies ......................... They need to be nurtured not nutered?

Without them who carries the flag after our demise??

Have we become so anally retentive that we cant remember the way that the hairs on the back of your neck stood on end the first time you heard these "Played out Oldies"?

Stop looking at Ethan and Lottie, expecting them to start playing hop-scotch or tag on the dance floor. Stop stereotyping them and start looking at them as what they are ....Young Soulies with a passion for the music.

Have you ever taken the time to engage them in conversation???

I can assure you, especially Ethan that his passion and enthusiasm shines through. He is more than capable of telling you if the OKEH record you have just bought is a first or second issue, or which Dj is his favourite or going and asking to hear HIS favourite tune.....

Should by chance one of them ask "How are you" Please Victor resist the urge to say " None the better for you asking" ..... just say.......... " Fine how are you" and if the conversation continues you may be surprised that you dont have anything to fear from these young soulies.

Finally if anyone wishes to comment on my parenting skills, please do it in person i,m the ugly bloke usually within 50 feet of Ethan.

Regards and respect Brent:hatsoff2:

Social source share