boba

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

maybe another pressing plant helped them out. after all it was a decent sized hit in the states

dave

scratch that = misread something.

Possibly pressed just over the water in Canada to fill orders that could not be filled in Detroit pressing plants?

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Possibly pressed just over the water in Canada to fill orders that could not be filled in Detroit pressing plants?

cud be rite eh joe. ive seen something of his on canadian reo...................... possibly agent oo but cant for the life of me remember now. might have even been s o s. but :chinstroke:

dave

Social source share

cud be rite eh joe. ive seen something of his on canadian reo...................... possibly agent oo but cant for the life of me remember now. might have even been s o s. but g.gif

dave

Released on REO With both Titles as is one of the Ric-Tic Variations & Single Sided White DEMO.

All others have simply AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL

AGENT OO SOUL

(Agent Double-O-Soul)

REO_8871Xa-2.gifREO_8871Xb-1.gif

Ric-Tic_RT-103-A_Y_O-1.gifRic-Tic_RT-103-B_Y_O-1.gif

Social source share

There's no West coast pressing plant with a label font like this, Loll. According to the Ric Tic obsessive who sits directly behind me at work, this is a 100% guaranteed counterfeit.

He also tell me that there are 6 other Ric Tic 45s that have been counterfeited at various times, these being: 105 (Rose Batiste), 106 (J.J. Barnes), 109x (Scott's On Swingers), 111 (Laura Lee), 112 (San Remo Strings), 123 (Al Kent).

My colleague is not in any way a man to be argued with on matters discographical, so I think it's safe for anyone reading this to accept his assertions as gospel!

TONE :thumbsup:

The above is a quote from Tony Rounce in one of the previous topics about this and like Tone I've no reason to disbelieve the Ric Tic obsesive who sits directly behind him at work, I'd put what he says before any other theory put forward.

Social source share

The above is a quote from Tony Rounce in one of the previous topics about this and like Tone I've no reason to disbelieve the Ric Tic obsesive who sits directly behind him at work, I'd put what he says before any other theory put forward.

this may be a counterfeit, but I bet it was done for a US audience in the 60s. Of the list in your above post, the only other ones that even really got played in the US were al kent and san remo strings (and I don't know if they were booted for a US audience or not).

Social source share

this may be a counterfeit, but I bet it was done for a US audience in the 60s. Of the list in your above post, the only other ones that even really got played in the US were al kent and san remo strings (and I don't know if they were booted for a US audience or not).

I would agree they were done in the US at the time of release. Tony states as much in the other topic (one of them).

I think an important point that you're missing here, Rog, is that this is actually a counterfeit, not a bootleg. OK, so people might think that they're essentially the same thing, but there are a few basic differences.

Counterfeited records were usually made at the same time as the legit issues, in order to cream off a few illegal sales while the record in question was going up the charts - for example, everyone knows that Charlie and Raynoma Singleton counterfeited Mary Wells' "My Guy" and flooded the local New York distributors with their copies as "Miss Ray's revenge" on Berry Gordy. This kind of thing happened often in the 60s - much more often than has been documented, that's for sure...

Bootlegs on the other hand are usually made well after the event, to satisfy a collector market rather than the regular punter.

My in house Ric Tic expert tells me that the SOS counterfeits were made around the time the record was in the charts, which certainly makes sense because - as you say - it's never been rare enough to really warrant a 'Bootlegging'. They were probably sold out of an area where Ric Tic's distribution network was weak, as it may well have been manufactured on the west coast (although that label font still looks pretty Chicagoan to me) ...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

There's no West coast pressing plant with a label font like this, Loll. According to the Ric Tic obsessive who sits directly behind me at work, this is a 100% guaranteed counterfeit.

He also tell me that there are 6 other Ric Tic 45s that have been counterfeited at various times, these being: 105 (Rose Batiste), 106 (J.J. Barnes), 109x (Scott's On Swingers), 111 (Laura Lee), 112 (San Remo Strings), 123 (Al Kent).

My colleague is not in any way a man to be argued with on matters discographical, so I think it's safe for anyone reading this to accept his assertions as gospel!

TONE :D

OK - now I would really like to know who the Ric-Tic obsessive is - or are we supposed to know that already? :thumbsup: - and why they say this is a 100% guaranteed counterfeit please

I have this copy too and have an open mind on this particular version of the 45 but - I am also a Ric-Tic obsessive :yes: - so with all due respect to Tony and his mate I want to hear a more evidence-based theory please, rather than just that he sits behind Tone at work :(:)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

:lol: HI ALL I THINK THAT YOUR POSSIBLY IS PROBER LY. AS THERE ARE QUITE A FEW DETROIT SIDES THAT WERE CANADIAN PRESS BUT NOT FOR CANADIAN RELEASE PROPER?? AND THEY SHOW THIS WITH A LINE, MARTIN KOPEL IS THE MAN TO ASK OR "RANKING" JOHNNY MANSHIP.:lol: DAVE

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: HI ALL I THINK THAT YOUR POSSIBLY IS PROBER LY. AS THERE ARE QUITE A FEW DETROIT SIDES THAT WERE CANADIAN PRESS BUT NOT FOR CANADIAN RELEASE PROPER?? AND THEY SHOW THIS WITH A LINE, MARTIN KOPEL IS THE MAN TO ASK OR "RANKING" JOHNNY MANSHIP.:thumbup: DAVE

I have been Interested in Ric-Tic for many years.

Got to wondering especially now this thread has mentioned the same.

If Agent Double-OO Soul & Back Street obtained a REO Release.

• WHAT HAPPENED REGARDING THE "S.O.S. Stop Her On Sight" Canadian Release. (i.e. Which Label in Canada) If any was it released on.

Laura Lee had an R.C.A. Victor Canadian Release

Social source share

I have been Interested in Ric-Tic for many years.

Got to wondering especially now this thread has mentioned the same.

If Agent Double-OO Soul & Back Street obtained a REO Release.

• WHAT HAPPENED REGARDING THE "S.O.S. Stop Her On Sight" Canadian Release. (i.e. Which Label in Canada) If any was it released on.

Laura Lee had an R.C.A. Victor Canadian Release

:yes: HI IT'S A GOOD PIONT, BUT I AM NOT IN THE NO ABOUT THIS STUFF APART FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD! I DO NO THE SUPERLITIVES I STILL LOVE YOU HAD A CANADIAN PRESS WITH LINES THAT SOME SAID IT WAS A BOOT? IT AINT. I HADE SEVERAL EARLY RIC-TICS WITH LINES SAN REMO STRINGS BOTH FESTIVAL TIME * BLUEBERRY HILL. AND THE RIO IS THE OFFICIAL CANADIAN RELEASE LABEL, NEVER QUITE NEW WHT THE EDWIN STAR COME OUT ON 3 DIFFERANT TYPES OF LABEL?? THIS WAS DISCUSSED A YEAR OR SO BACK? BUT I STILL AM NOT SURE? AND THERE ARE SOME UNUSUAL MOTOWNS WITH TOMMY GOOD ON TAMLA BEING THE BEST i BOUGHT A COPY IN 74 AT WIGAN 50P AND SOLD IT TO (DOPEY DICK) FROM WOLVES FOR £50 STILL IT IS PROBELY WORTH THAT NOW!? IS THERE AN ARTICLE ON RIC-TIC IN ISSUE 1 OF MARTIN KOPELS MAG ??? JUST A THOUGHT NEIL RUSTON SHOULD BE ABLE TO GIVE A MORE CONPREHENSIVE ANSWER AS HE BOGHT A TON OF RIC-TICS? COME ON nEIL GIVE US THE RUN DOWN MATE??:yes: DAVE

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbup: HI IT'S A GOOD PIONT, BUT I AM NOT IN THE NO ABOUT THIS STUFF APART FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD! I DO NO THE SUPERLITIVES I STILL LOVE YOU HAD A CANADIAN PRESS WITH LINES THAT SOME SAID IT WAS A BOOT? IT AINT. I HADE SEVERAL EARLY RIC-TICS WITH LINES SAN REMO STRINGS BOTH FESTIVAL TIME * BLUEBERRY HILL. AND THE RIO IS THE OFFICIAL CANADIAN RELEASE LABEL, NEVER QUITE NEW WHT THE EDWIN STAR COME OUT ON 3 DIFFERANT TYPES OF LABEL?? THIS WAS DISCUSSED A YEAR OR SO BACK? BUT I STILL AM NOT SURE? AND THERE ARE SOME UNUSUAL MOTOWNS WITH TOMMY GOOD ON TAMLA BEING THE BEST i BOUGHT A COPY IN 74 AT WIGAN 50P AND SOLD IT TO (DOPEY DICK) FROM WOLVES FOR £50 STILL IT IS PROBELY WORTH THAT NOW!? IS THERE AN ARTICLE ON RIC-TIC IN ISSUE 1 OF MARTIN KOPELS MAG ??? JUST A THOUGHT NEIL RUSTON SHOULD BE ABLE TO GIVE A MORE CONPREHENSIVE ANSWER AS HE BOGHT A TON OF RIC-TICS? COME ON nEIL GIVE US THE RUN DOWN MATE??:thumbup: DAVE

REO_8894X-1_300_.gifREO_8894X-2_300_.gif

Just arrived this morning. Ric-Tic 107 in the States

S.O.S Stop Her On Sight Ric-Tic 109 in the States

Guessing REO Lost the rights for the World wide release of Edwins S,O,S, two numbers later

Social source share

REO_8894X-1_300_.gifREO_8894X-2_300_.gif

Just arrived this morning. Ric-Tic 107 in the States

S.O.S Stop Her On Sight Ric-Tic 109 in the States

Guessing REO Lost the rights for the World wide release of Edwins S,O,S, two numbers later

However, Just read this

>>> <<<

So if Real Humdinger exists on REO Ric-Tic 110 in the States

What happened with RIc-Tic 109 in Canada

Intriguing

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!