Brookfields ( Stables )

Guest kerby

Guest kerby

Where do i begin ? . With the people who matter ,( everyone who came to support us last night ).THANKS from all involved in running this superb venue . Last night was made special by our by our guest , mr john pugh who gave his time to help us and make a healthy donation to the chosen charity of linda milward & family .( jb will tell you more about it later ) . We have decided that we will continue to have a special guest for all our future soul nights and will anounce the guest for the 25th of september shortly . I managed to drag my camera out of semi retirememt and will post my photo,s later , i think they will show how good the night was better than words . My final and biggest thankyou goes out to our max who loved the club and worked so hard to make it what it is today ( THANKS MAX )

MART ( KERBY )

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Where do i begin ? . With the people who matter ,( everyone who came to support us last night ).THANKS from all involved in running this superb venue . Last night was made special by our by our guest , mr john pugh who gave his time to help us and make a healthy donation to the chosen charity of linda milward & family .( jb will tell you more about it later ) . We have decided that we will continue to have a special guest for all our future soul nights and will anounce the guest for the 25th of september shortly . I managed to drag my camera out of semi retirememt and will post my photo,s later , i think they will show how good the night was better than words . My final and biggest thankyou goes out to our max who loved the club and worked so hard to make it what it is today ( THANKS MAX )

MART ( KERBY )

Was a brilliant night and really enjoyed it, good music and friendly people and will be back for more. Well done to all involved and KTF !!

Must echo Martin's words of thanks to all who came to support us last night and enabled us collectively as a group to present Linda & James Millward with a donation to a very worthwhile charity of Linda's choice of around £450 details to follow I would personally like to thank Phil, Ted, Jellybean, Martin and guest John Pugh for playing and donating thier time etc for free. I'm sure our Max would have been so proud of you and to see this wonderful club rocking again since we changed our music policy in fact I thought the music was spot last night doing exactly what it says on the tin 100% oldies from the very off and appreciated by a great crowd too seeing we're on main holiday period who danced all night right thgrough till the end of Mart's spot at 2.30am.

So if it's oldies music your'e after then Brookfields is the place to be with a quality guest planned for our September night.to compliment our already quality DJ line up.

Could the djs try to post thier playlists here's mine in no particular order.

Cant help loving you - Paul Anka - RCA

Take a chance on me - Arabians - Le Mans

Open the door to your heart - Darrell Banks - Stateside

A whole lot of love - Homer Banks - Liberty

Your'e gonna miss a good thing - John Bowie - Merben

There was a time - Gene Chandler - Brunswick

Foot Pattin - King Curtis - Atco

You just dont know - Chubby Checker - London

What good am I - Mickey Champion - Musette

Its better to have - Don Covay-Mercury

You got it - Dealers - Big Bunny

Just another girl - Four Pros - Carla

Jesse Jame - Roscoe Shelton -Jomada

Frantic Escape - Innocent Bystanders

Way youve been acting lately - Al Kent - Ric Tic

That's what I want - Syng Mcgowen - Hope

Make it last - Barbara Mills - Hickory

Hey now baby - Leo Price Band - Up down

Quick change artist- Soul Twins Karen

You aint no big thing - Sam & Dave - Roulette

Surprise party for baby - Vibrating Vibrations - Neptune

Sweeter than the day before - Valentinos- Chess

I'm the one to do it - Jackie Wilson - Brunswick

Gaz

Cant really add much to the previous posts just to echo what has been said, people were coming in at 11.00pm bloody M6 shut again a few people had been stuck for a couple of hours, i wonder how many gave up and went home. next one is the 25th september should be a cracker

and dont forget if you like the rare stuff and nighter spins the last saturday in August has the Lifeline crowd there.

Guest Northern PhanTom

Well, what a fantastic night over at "The Stables", first time back to the venue since the old J11 days, now used by "Goodtimes" and "Lifeline". With it being situated in close proximity to the M6 it makes an ideal place to reach (when there are no road works), and is a stonking venue for a soul event. :D

But last night was not all about the venue and its accessibility, no! It was all about the peeps that help organise and run this event, who aspire to reach the standards and commitment shown by "Goodtimes" mentor Max Millward and reach them they did. Goodtimes is what is says on the tin and a good time is what we got. :thumbsup:

Arrived about 8.30 and right from the off you could sense a smouldering intent about the night and as more and more souls arrived you just knew the touch paper had been lit and there were going to be fireworks. :yes:

We don't do many oldies orientated nights these days, but whether it was because we were not on our doorstep (certain oldies seam to be played more at different parts of the country) or perhaps more to do with the quality of tunes but we found ourselves being eagerly drawn in to the fantastic atmosphere of the night. :yes:

I never normally like to overstate one DJ above another because in my opinion as long as its a team effort and there are no swell heads I look at things in a collective way over the whole night and this was certainly a team effort with banging tunes from top to tail. But would like to say thanks to John for playing Mandrill and Soul Bros' Inc' as requested. :yes:

If this was a relay race where there was a baton to be passed "The Goodtimes" team have picked up Max's baton and are well out in front of the field and he would be proud of the team that are set to continue his legacy and to cap it off, not just a quality night of soulin but a hefty donation to charity by the organisers endorsed by his family, to boot:hatsoff2:

Thanks to Helen & Martin for their warm hospitality during the night, good to finally catch up with John Pugh (an inspiration) and Ted despite being out two nights running (but still looking fresh as a daisy) for having a good sense of humour. :yes:

Keep up the good work guys (and gals) to provide us with more "Gooodtimes". :D

Tom :yes:

I'm glad me & lynn left nuneaton @ 7.15, we missed the m6 holdups....phew :thumbsup: , think we were the 1st 2 in so we got a full treat of the 1st dj who played a blinding spot (the ray & dave - wrong wrong wrong soon had me on the dance floor), a good night indeed. we came back via the A5, bejabous HOW MANY BLOODY SPEED CAMERAS??????????, sorry taliban piggy's, i meant safety cameras :yes: , hope to see you all again

rob & Lynn...:D

Last nite It felt kinda wrong, and at the same time kinda right, to be playing at Good Times without Max there.

I was touched the guys ( & Helen) had asked me to guest dj last nite. Unfortunately my hands were playing up and my usual helper, my son Will, was out on the town with his mates.

This meant bringing in a substitute helper. For a change 'her indoors' agreed to step into the breach, and kept me from misbehaving too much (and yes, bribery was involved, I'm paying for her next haircut !)

Maybe it's just me, but I think what keeps the dancers coming back to Good Times is that it's what I call a 'full service' Oldies nite, inasmuch as it doesn't only cover Oldies from one period, say Wheel, or pre-Wigan, or just Wigan era (as many Oldies events sometimes do) At Good Times it covers pretty much the first 20+ years of the scene and plays Mecca tracks next door to Catacombs or Stafford etc. To be honest I doubt if anyone would object to the playing of the odd good tune broken in the 90's, and I'd brought "Good Times" by The Vanguards to play as I think this tune was what had given Max the idea to name the club. Typical of me I left it too late and ran out of time to play it, but there's always another time (we hope)

One measure of a clubs quality, is in the type and quantity of requests. I love it when you get a quality request out of the blue, and speaking to the other dj's there had been some creacking requests last nite. Funnily enough several records were requested by more than one person, like Pyramid & Dickie Wonder but shout of the nite for me goes jointly to Mandrill 'Too Late' (which I havent played since Bretby/Albrighton era, and I dunno how it even ended up in the boxes?) and the Catacombs era stomper fave of mine, Jeanette Williams "Something Goods Got A Hold On Me", so much purer a record than her other Northern Backbeat outing "All Of A Sudden" imho.

As the dancers gave it plenty to Jeanette's energetic opus on the floor, I could imagine Max with his twinkling eyed smiley face knudging me as he often did, saying " see we did know a bit when we were picking tunes at the Cats"

Not 100% sure but what was what, and doubt the order was anything like this, but my plays might have been something like this -

Cooperates - Shing-A-Ling (BRUNSWICK)

Holly St James - That's Not Love (ABC)

Marie Knight - That's No Way To Treat A Girl (MUSICOR)

James Fountain - Seven Day Lover (PEACHTREE)

Don Thomas - Come On Train (NUVJ)

Collins & Collins - Top Of The Stairs (A&M) requested

Vel-Vets - I Got To Find Me Somebody (20thCENTURY)

Vibrations - 'Cause You're Mine (EPIC)

Mandrill - Too Late (ARISTA) requested

Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid (GOLDEN EYE) requested

Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl Next Door (RCA) requested

Marvelows - Your Little Sister (ABC) requested

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Babies Heart (DIAMOND)

Delco's - Arabia (EBONY)

Isonics - Sugar (KAMMY) requested

Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It (FANIA)

Showmen - Our Love Will Grow (SWAN)

Ike & Tina Turner - Dust My Broom (TANGERINE) requested

Danny Woods - You Had Me Fooled (CORREC-TONE)

Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows (G.B.) (SOUND OF SOUL) requested

Wade Flemmons - Jeanette (RAMSEL)

Jeanette Williams - Something Good Got a Hold On Me (BACKBEAT) requested

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You (HICKORY)

Tangeers - Let My Heart & Soul Be Free (OKEH)

Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me (LIBERTY)

Ruby Andrews -Just Loving You (ZODIAC)

Drizabone - Pressure (7" Radio mix) (4TH & BROADWAY)

Knackered but happy I didn't last much longer when I came off, but Ted was doing an excellent job.

One last thing I'd like to say, Phil Richards proved he knows exactly what a resident dj is supposed to do, by playing a floor packing set so the guest can take it on from there and be a little bolder. It's often a thankless task but when you take on the job of resident this is what's required, and I can say to the guests who will be on in the coming months 'you'll find it a pleasure to play at Brookfields'. (Well done Phil !)

cheers

john p.s thanks for the nice comments last nite and messages today.

Guest Phil Richards

Last nite It felt kinda wrong, and at the same time kinda right, to be playing at Good Times without Max there.

I was touched the guys ( & Helen) had asked me to guest dj last nite. Unfortunately my hands were playing up and my usual helper, my son Will, was out on the town with his mates.

This meant bringing in a substitute helper. For a change 'her indoors' agreed to step into the breach, and kept me from misbehaving too much (and yes, bribery was involved, I'm paying for her next haircut !)

Maybe it's just me, but I think what keeps the dancers coming back to Good Times is that it's what I call a 'full service' Oldies nite, inasmuch as it doesn't only cover Oldies from one period, say Wheel, or pre-Wigan, or just Wigan era (as many Oldies events sometimes do) At Good Times it covers pretty much the first 20+ years of the scene and plays Mecca tracks next door to Catacombs or Stafford etc. To be honest I doubt if anyone would object to the playing of the odd good tune broken in the 90's, and I'd brought "Good Times" by The Vanguards to play as I think this tune was what had given Max the idea to name the club. Typical of me I left it too late and ran out of time to play it, but there's always another time (we hope)

One measure of a clubs quality, is in the type and quantity of requests. I love it when you get a quality request out of the blue, and speaking to the other dj's there had been some creacking requests last nite. Funnily enough several records were requested by more than one person, like Pyramid & Dickie Wonder but shout of the nite for me goes jointly to Mandrill 'Too Late' (which I havent played since Bretby/Albrighton era, and I dunno how it even ended up in the boxes?) and the Catacombs era stomper fave of mine, Jeanette Williams "Something Goods Got A Hold On Me", so much purer a record than her other Northern Backbeat outing "All Of A Sudden" imho.

As the dancers gave it plenty to Jeanette's energetic opus on the floor, I could imagine Max with his twinkling eyed smiley face knudging me as he often did, saying " see we did know a bit when we were picking tunes at the Cats"

Not 100% sure but what was what, and doubt the order was anything like this, but my plays might have been something like this -

Cooperates - Shing-A-Ling (BRUNSWICK)

Holly St James - That's Not Love (ABC)

Marie Knight - That's No Way To Treat A Girl (MUSICOR)

James Fountain - Seven Day Lover (PEACHTREE)

Don Thomas - Come On Train (NUVJ)

Collins & Collins - Top Of The Stairs (A&M) requested

Vel-Vets - I Got To Find Me Somebody (20thCENTURY)

Vibrations - 'Cause You're Mine (EPIC)

Mandrill - Too Late (ARISTA) requested

Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid (GOLDEN EYE) requested

Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl Next Door (RCA) requested

Marvelows - Your Little Sister (ABC) requested

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Babies Heart (DIAMOND)

Delco's - Arabia (EBONY)

Isonics - Sugar (KAMMY) requested

Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It (FANIA)

Showmen - Our Love Will Grow (SWAN)

Ike & Tina Turner - Dust My Broom (TANGERINE) requested

Danny Woods - You Had Me Fooled (CORREC-TONE)

Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows (G.B.) (SOUND OF SOUL) requested

Wade Flemmons - Jeanette (RAMSEL)

Jeanette Williams - Something Good Got a Hold On Me (BACKBEAT) requested

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You (HICKORY)

Tangeers - Let My Heart & Soul Be Free (OKEH)

Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me (LIBERTY)

Ruby Andrews -Just Loving You (ZODIAC)

Drizabone - Pressure (7" Radio mix) (4TH & BROADWAY)

Knackered but happy I didn't last much longer when I came off, but Ted was doing an excellent job.

One last thing I'd like to say, Phil Richards proved he knows exactly what a resident dj is supposed to do, by playing a floor packing set so the guest can take it on from there and be a little bolder. It's often a thankless task but when you take on the job of resident this is what's required, and I can say to the guests who will be on in the coming months 'you'll find it a pleasure to play at Brookfields'. (Well done Phil !)

cheers

john p.s thanks for the nice comments last nite and messages today.

What i did my best to clear it lol

Thanks for that John,its up to the residents to keep the floor full.

Must say it was strange without Max been there and i was a bit lost going up to do my spot .

A top set from our guest dj big thanks to you John looking forward to you djing for us at a later date

Well done to the rest of the guys and to all the soulies that turned out .

Well, what a fantastic night over at "The Stables", first time back to the venue since the old J11 days, now used by "Goodtimes" and "Lifeline". With it being situated in close proximity to the M6 it makes an ideal place to reach (when there are no road works), and is a stonking venue for a soul event. :lol:

But last night was not all about the venue and its accessibility, no! It was all about the peeps that help organise and run this event, who aspire to reach the standards and commitment shown by "Goodtimes" mentor Max Millward and reach them they did. Goodtimes is what is says on the tin and a good time is what we got. :)

Arrived about 8.30 and right from the off you could sense a smouldering intent about the night and as more and more souls arrived you just knew the touch paper had been lit and there were going to be fireworks. :yes:

We don't do many oldies orientated nights these days, but whether it was because we were not on our doorstep (certain oldies seam to be played more at different parts of the country) or perhaps more to do with the quality of tunes but we found ourselves being eagerly drawn in to the fantastic atmosphere of the night. :)

I never normally like to overstate one DJ above another because in my opinion as long as its a team effort and there are no swell heads I look at things in a collective way over the whole night and this was certainly a team effort with banging tunes from top to tail. But would like to say thanks to John for playing Mandrill and Soul Bros' Inc' as requested. :D

If this was a relay race where there was a baton to be passed "The Goodtimes" team have picked up Max's baton and are well out in front of the field and he would be proud of the team that are set to continue his legacy and to cap it off, not just a quality night of soulin but a hefty donation to charity by the organisers endorsed by his family, to boot:hatsoff2:

Thanks to Helen & Martin for their warm hospitality during the night, good to finally catch up with John Pugh (an inspiration) and Ted despite being out two nights running (but still looking fresh as a daisy) for having a good sense of humour. :D

Keep up the good work guys (and gals) to provide us with more "Gooodtimes". :lol:

Tom wink.gif

Hi Tom,

Just had to thankyou for doing such a lovely write up about Saturday night at the Stables,I'm pleased that you enjoyed it so much :D I think I can safely say that everyone else did aswell :yes: the music from all the DJ's was quality stuff & also the friendly crowd,the atmosphere etc...was spot on.Special thanks to our guest John Pugh :thumbup: I feel very proud with the way the night went and I know our Max would have been too bless him. :thumbup:

See you soon Tom & thanks again!! wink.gif

JB x x x

"""Maybe it's just me, but I think what keeps the dancers coming back to Good Times is that it's what I call a 'full service' Oldies nite, inasmuch as it doesn't only cover Oldies from one period, say Wheel, or pre-Wigan, or just Wigan era (as many Oldies events sometimes do) At Good Times it covers pretty much the first 20+ years of the scene and plays Mecca tracks next door to Catacombs or Stafford etc. To be honest I doubt if anyone would object to the playing of the odd good tune broken in the 90's, and I'd brought "Good Times" by The Vanguards to play as I think this tune was what had given Max the idea to name the club. Typical of me I left it too late and ran out of time to play it, but there's always another time (we hope)

One measure of a clubs quality, is in the type and quantity of requests. I love it when you get a quality request out of the blue, and speaking to the other dj's there had been some creacking requests last nite. Funnily enough several records were requested by more than one person, like Pyramid & Dickie Wonder but shout of the nite for me goes jointly to Mandrill 'Too Late' (which I havent played since Bretby/Albrighton era, and I dunno how it even ended up in the boxes?) and the Catacombs era stomper fave of mine, Jeanette Williams "Something Goods Got A Hold On Me", so much purer a record than her other Northern Backbeat outing "All Of A Sudden" imho."""""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well John Pugh, I dont think I could have put that any better.after a rather hectic fri at Disciples, we decided to stay local, and in view of Max,s sudden passing, we thought we owed it to him, to make the effort, despite the road works, and having to turn back ect ect ect..fooking m6 is a nitemare, to come to the Stables, now as someone who loves the rarer side of life, I really enjoyed it very much, it aint 100 mile an hour same old, yes oldies, but our bread and butter, and all ovo,and although we only catched Phil Ted and John, I was up on the dance floor 2 or 3 times as me legs would not let me do anymore, but havin bumped into a lot of people who I aint seen for a long long time,Merv for one, must be over 25 feckin years!!! and a lot of people who actually support us at our veneue," never the twain shall meet" yes they do, here at the Good times..and I had a good time. loved it when Ted played Lou Pride..I dont now get to hear that very often as its summat not many people have, think it needs reactivating IMO.just about sums what northern is all about, yes great .thanks just what we needed, and thankyou for making us so very welcome:thumbsup:

Was a brilliant night and really enjoyed it, good music and friendly people and will be back for more. Well done to all involved and KTF !!

Thanks Dave.so pleased you enjoyed yourselves :thumbsup:

And thanks to everyone else that supported us on Saturday night,was great to see lots of new faces too. yes.gif:lol:

JB x x x

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well John Pugh, I dont think I could have put that any better.after a rather hectic fri at Disciples, we decided to stay local, and in view of Max,s sudden passing, we thought we owed it to him, to make the effort, despite the road works, and having to turn back ect ect ect..fooking m6 is a nitemare, to come to the Stables, now as someone who loves the rarer side of life, I really enjoyed it very much, it aint 100 mile an hour same old, yes oldies, but our bread and butter, and all ovo,and although we only catched Phil Ted and John, I was up on the dance floor 2 or 3 times as me legs would not let me do anymore, but havin bumped into a lot of people who I aint seen for a long long time,Merv for one, must be over 25 feckin years!!! and a lot of people who actually support us at our veneue," never the twain shall meet" yes they do, here at the Good times..and I had a good time. loved it when Ted played Lou Pride..I dont now get to hear that very often as its summat not many people have, think it needs reactivating IMO.just about sums what northern is all about, yes great .thanks just what we needed, and thankyou for making us so very welcome:thumbsup:

Guest Northern PhanTom

Hi Tom,

Just had to thankyou for doing such a lovely write up about Saturday night at the Stables,I'm pleased that you enjoyed it so much :yes: I think I can safely say that everyone else did aswell :lol: the music from all the DJ's was quality stuff & also the friendly crowd,the atmosphere etc...was spot on.Special thanks to our guest John Pugh :unsure: I feel very proud with the way the night went and I know our Max would have been too bless him. :huh:

See you soon Tom & thanks again!! :yes:

JB x x x

:thumbsup: