Railway Club, Bournemouth - 31St July

Guest Chris B

Guest Chris B

Hi

Just though I'd say thanks to all the DJ's and other who got the Railway Club back on tracks . LOL

This is one of the best atmospheres as it always has a great crowd of people who appreciate the music.

Lots of locals, Southampton peeps and a few new faces so made for a brilliant night.

Qute a varied mix of music which meant that I managed to get a rest occasionally, and even managed a bit of Quickstep, Cha Cha and Jive just for a change.

Sorry to Jan Mortimer for me dragging her on the floor, but made a change.

This was one of my first venues back on the scene a couple of years ago and it has not lost its great feeling.

Thanks to all involved.

Chris

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Another top nite, some great music, lots of soulful crossover / modern / 60s / classic / underplayed soul music, thats what i call a real across the board nite, with lots of other do's / partys / holidays going on, wasnt sure if it would be so busy, but it was, lots of happy people, lots of friendly chat ( AND BRIAN IF YOU ASK EVERYONE YOU SEE TO GUESS YOUR AGE AGAIN, YOUR GONNA GET THROWN OUT LOL ) Thanks to all the traverlers who made this nite a goodun, nice to meet the guys from hemel hemstead, nice to have a chin wag with Matt and Kev and Dave, a big thankyou to Fiona for the fantastic banner she done for us :thumbsup:

Edited by tim smithers

Another top nite, some great music, lots of soulful crossover / modern / 60s / classic / underplayed soul music, thats what i call a real across the board nite, with lots of other do's / partys / holidays going on, wasnt sure if it would be so busy, but it was, lots of happy people, lots of friendly chat ( AND BRIAN IF YOU ASK EVERYONE YOU SEE TO GUESS YOUR AGE AGAIN, YOUR GONNA GET THROWN OUT LOL ) Thanks to all the traverlers who made this nite a goodun, nice to meet the guys from hemel hemstead, nice to have a chin wag with Matt and Kev and Dave, a big thankyou to Fiona for the fantastic banner she done for us :thumbsup:

any pics?

Good afternoon Bournemouth soul club...

sorry guys but by the time i got the gear packed up last night it was gone 1am...looks & sounded like it was a top night once again...made up for you all...spoke to a couple from here that went...had a ball of a time they did...will see you at Patchin...:thumbsup:

Alfie

[/quo

But Tim , having Oldtimers disease i keep forgetting how old i am ,especially when i look in the mirror :yes:

Anyway ,Yes it was a great night ,and yes the most eclectic cross section of music i have ever come across .

The floor was much better this time around and was kept busy for most of the night ,and i, and many others had a top night . KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUY`S see you all soon K.T.F.:)

WiganBrian.

Edited by wiganpotter

Would just like to thank Mark,Tim and Simon for putting on a great night at the Railway Club and for getting Sainty down to Dj,Roger made the night for me as he doesn't get to play out much but has been on the scene for years, anyway he played a couple of great sets including the likes of Herman hitson,buddy connor,guitar ray,sy hightower,Don Gardner etc and a couple of bits gone on the wants list.

Again thanks to all involved and the other dj's on the night for a great mix.

Andy Mann:thumbsup:

Would just like to thank Mark,Tim and Simon for putting on a great night at the Railway Club and for getting Sainty down to Dj,Roger made the night for me as he doesn't get to play out much but has been on the scene for years, anyway he played a couple of great sets including the likes of Herman hitson,buddy connor,guitar ray,sy hightower,Don Gardner etc and a couple of bits gone on the wants list.

Again thanks to all involved and the other dj's on the night for a great mix.

Andy Mann:thumbsup:

Sure did :thumbsup:

. As on many occassions in the past, there's always a buzz, an air of expectancy at the beginning of a soul night at Bournemouth Railway Club. Folk nod and shake hands as they greet each other and then look for a seat or a niche to settle themselves down to absorb the atmosphere.

. We arrived at 9.30 p.m. and were initially entertained by sets of music from Jonah, Shay and Roger Saint that contained 60s, 70s, crossover and the odd classic, which went down swimmingly well and generally kept the dancefloor busy. The floor itself had been polished nicely and but for the odd divet, was in good condition.

. Shay returned to play once more prior to midnight and this time he kept it mainly to 70s and some crossover soul which appealed to a certain segment of the crowd who prefer softer smoother edged soul. Roger Saint then followed in a similar vane, but gradually lightened the mood further with music that had a mellow feel, which is fine if you're sat back listening to it from an armchair. But by 12.30, the numbers on the dancefloor had dwindled to a handful and it just wasn't working. The people who prefer stompers had been starved and bodies were seizing up in their slumber. Some were getting ready to call it an early night.

. So Jonah sensibly took the brave decision to step in and threw on Johnny Sayles - I can't get enough, followed by Cliff Nobles - Judge baby, I'm back. The response was immediate, the hungry dancers released themselves from their perches and lurched forward to pack out the floor with some frenetic movement to bring proceedings back on track.

. Simon Preston came on at 1 p.m. and played the night out with some fantastic music. One of them he announced as an Ike & Tina Turner number, which didn't have their typical gospel - RnB feel. Tina's voice was still deep, but somehow smoother and more soulful in a Northern Soul vane. Don't ask me what the title is? For I'd never heard it before and apparently there are only two other copies in the country? There were a couple of other note worthy unknowns, which thankfully Simon revealed to me as long as I stayed stum.

. So all I can say is that the upbeat music he played was generally in a zone from Sterling McGhee - Keep on to grittier stuff like Richard Knight - Lovin' by the pound with other music like Ricardo Ray - Nitty Gritty (for yours truly) thrown in.

. Regrettably, we don't get many playlists from this event, which may be a frustration for some. But as ever, there's always a mystique that surrounds these occasions. So all I can further say is that the experience of a soul night at this venue is well worth the effort. I've already got withdrawal symptoms.

. However, Bournemouth Railway Club in the guise of guests Simon Preston and Tim Smithers comes to Sussex Soul this Saturday, August 7th.

. We look forward to it! Dave & Jan Mortimore

I know it's difficult to please everyone all night but I was very impressed with the mix of the night. This is what makes the scene such a great place to be. I really enjoyed Roger's choice of tunes especially Sy Hightower, Bobby Cutchins and The World Funkiest Band- don't get to hear these out very often, also enjoyed Shay playing The Brewster Crew. Mark played a great Jackie Wilson track I didn't know and I wish I could have stayed longer to hear Simon, but I know he would of done everyone proud. Great to hear such a detailed acount of things Dave and it's good to see we all had a good night.