Soul Or Nothing

Ho all

Surprised to see nobody's posted up yet ,but that's probably because most attendees went onto Radcliffe and are now comotosed:D

No sympathy from me :yes:

Anyways back on topic....Had a top night on Friday ,along with a room full of other good people and we were treated to some awesome records by some very talented dj/collectors indeed!

Can't, or should i say,don't want to single anyone out because i really did enjoy the music on offer ,it was deffo right up my street all night.

Was great to put faces to names and finally meet up with some really good people .Dave and Jordi ,Edu and Polly and Maria,Arthur and Carms:wave:

Apologies to Maria O and Carms for my calamitous introduction's ,not only getting you two mixed up but also thinking one of you was Sam Goldie.Doh!

Hope it was funny or even amusing from your point of view ..it won't happen again...promise:yes:

Big thanks to Stevie for putting this event on and for all your hard work promoting it and holding tickets for me and Jo :thumbsup:

Hope to be back soon

Atb

Nev & Jo

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ho all

Surprised to see nobody's posted up yet ,but that's probably because most attendees went onto Radcliffe and are now comotosed:D

No sympathy from me :yes:

Anyways back on topic....Had a top night on Friday ,along with a room full of other good people and we were treated to some awesome records by some very talented dj/collectors indeed!

Can't, or should i say,don't want to single anyone out because i really did enjoy the music on offer ,it was deffo right up my street all night.

Was great to put faces to names and finally meet up with some really good people .Dave and Jordi ,Edu and Polly and Maria,Arthur and Carms:wave:

Apologies to Maria O and Carms for my calamitous introduction's ,not only getting you two mixed up but also thinking one of you was Sam Goldie.Doh!

Hope it was funny or even amusing from your point of view ..it won't happen again...promise:yes:

Big thanks to Stevie for putting this event on and for all your hard work promoting it and holding tickets for me and Jo :thumbsup:

Hope to be back soon

Atb

Nev & Jo

I was waiting for the thread to start too.

Nice cellar bar at the Rampant Lion.But even nicer tunes.Hats off to all the dj's,mixing it up to keep everyone happy.

Sorry Nev,didn't get to speak.

Had a chat with Maria O.Passionate? - 100mph Aussie in full flow ,:D great stuff.

It worked for me Steve,when's the next one?....Kev.

Guest Craig A Butler

Just like to say a big thanks to Steve as it all was well worth the effort as was a great success & enjoyed by all.

Here's what I played with the first twelve being my first spot & then after my second.

Buddy Lamp - Devil's Gonna Get You - Duke

Bobby McNutt - Hold Tight - Yodi

Helene Smith - True Love Don't Grow On Trees - Deep City

The Tanzotic Allstars - The Grass Always Seems Greener - Octavia

O.D. Williams - I'm Moving On Out Of Your Life - Bar-Bare

Al Gardner - Watch Yourself - Sir-Rah

Al Gardner - Sweet Baby - Gooda Mooga

Darrell Banks - Baby What'cha You Got (For Me) - Revilot

The Legend's - Hideout - Mickay's

Claudine Clark - Easy To Love (So Hard To Forget) - Fayette

The Visitors - My Love Is Ready & Waiting - Tangerine

Harry Starr - Step Into My World - End

Len Bland & His Hi-Notes - Operator - Hi-Q

The Stereos - Don't Let It Happen To You - Val

Little Mary Staten - Steppin' Stone - GME

Act IV - Bless You - Cub

Mighty Lovers - Ain't Gonna Run No More - Soulhawk

Darrow Fletcher - The Way Of A Man - Revue

Lee Rogers - Sock Some Love Power To Me - Premium Stuff

Irene & The Scotts - I'm Stuck On My Baby - Smash

Tobi Lark - Sweep It Out In The Shed - Topper

The Volumes - Am I Losing You - Karen

September Jones - I'm Coming Home - Kapp

Tony Clarke - (They Call Me) A Wrong Man - M-S

The Chantels - Indian Giver - Verve

Congratualtions Stevie another night where you leave feeling a lot better than when you arrived.

Good move to dim the light (remove the bulbs), that helped the floor get going.

Key thing about the night, as usual with Soul or Nothing, was the quality and variety of the music. Wonderful records, many new to my ears, had Kev and I guessing a few times. Had to go up to check that Tanzotic Allstars, The Grass Always Seems Greener, sounded familiar and unknown at the same time. To be honest I couldn't place it as the inst of Ella Washington, sounded very gutsy traditional nothern oldie inst. Loved it. Lots of stand out tunes throughout the evening. Refreshing to hear so many good quality, different to the average night, tunes. A pleasure to be there and listen.

The impact of the night was immediately pulling out the wonderful double lp on BGP The Soul of Spanish Harlem and playing through constantly on Saturday.

Thanks Stevie, see you again soon.

Guest Richard Bergman

Great to catch up with friends old and new on friday.

Steve has always been a passionate promoter. A fact that is borne out by the quality and diversity of his guest djs. This night in it's new venue certainly has a bright future. Get yourself on down.

Edited by Richard Bergman

had a great time thanks stevie for inviting us i did get a little crowded behind the decks 3 of us triple decking (we played a game of musicall turntables :huh: ) some superb sets thoughout the night a great little room what more could you ask for (maybe a buffet :D ), enjoyed edus diverse plays he certainly mixes it up, Dave was great as always and George played a blinder both had me wearing a track across the floor to peer over the decks, liked the gospel cover up george.

lookul or nothing may have found it's home at last.

Mark

Ho all

No sympathy from me :thumbsup:

Not seeking sympathy, Nev...... more like medical attention!:yes:

SoN on Friday - great venue (basement bar of a smart pub with its own entrance, busy with 80, packed with 100) sharp soulful sounds and an audience that just wouldn't shut up:lol:

Boutique soul at its best, and a great start to a Manchester weekend!

Thanks to all the crowd who came along to our new little den..

Thanks also the Greatstone boys, Craig Butler, Big George, Dave the very good dentist) Ripolles and Eduardo Domingo for all the music...

Just a few short of a full house with no shows ( tickets save on door and no payment) :thumbsup:

Also a good few folk who had bought tickets could not make it....

Never mind, Its friday and not easy to get out to a early start event...

We live and learn...

Back on the last Friday of November...

regards

steve

Guest Drewes

Not seeking sympathy, Nev...... more like medical attention!:lol:

SoN on Friday - great venue (basement bar of a smart pub with its own entrance, busy with 80, packed with 100) sharp soulful sounds and an audience that just wouldn't shut up:lol:

Boutique soul at its best, and a great start to a Manchester weekend!

Couldnt have summed it up better Richard. What a great way to unwind after a 3 hrs journey... and a great start to a brilliant Manchester weekend. We went on and did the Twisted Wheel after that but am not allowed to mention the fact that I managed to drag him round the Trafford centre the next morning :no::D :D :D:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Sonia and Diddy

Edited by Drewes
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest nsoulxx

Great to catch up with friends old and new on friday.

Steve has always been a passionate promoter. A fact that is borne out by the quality and diversity of his guest djs. This night in it's new venue certainly has a bright future. Get yourself on down.

Let Sharron know about the Parkers reunion on Sat Aug 28th at The Band on the Wall please Richard.

Bit late posting but had fun..although slightly hazy as forgot to eat but, funnily enough, didn't forget where the bar was:ph34r:. Apologies if you experienced a slightly garbled version..although I'm sure nobody noticed any change:lol: Nice to meet Leona and her hubster Adi...who I hadn't seen for 20 odd years.... and the only difference was facial hair!!

Let Sharron know about the Parkers reunion on Sat Aug 28th at The Band on the Wall please Richard.

nsoulxx...i will be unable to attend as have a prior engagement with Legoland, must catch up soon...although I'm not sure who you are ha ha;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Many thanks to Steve for the invitation; me and Polly had a superb time and Manchester and no doubt we'll be back! laugh.gif "Soul or Nothing" is a superb club, with an open minded musical policy that certainly matches my idea of what a 2010 soul do should be yes.gif

Albeit terribly late, here's are my playlists of the night:

EARLY SET:

* ORDELLS- Sippin´a cup of coffee- Dionn

* WILLIE HIGHTOWER- It´s too late-Capitol

* HELENE SMITH- True love don´t grow on trees- Deep City

* FREDDIE NORTH- Love to hate- Mankind

* ELLIPSIS- Gregory Moore- Briarmeade

* EARLES INC- Just an illusion- Zydan

* BOBBY SCOTT- Another strange town- Columbia

* SOUL NOTES- Don´t make me beg- Way Out

* WAYNE CARTER- Mad mouth woman- Mootrey´s

* JOHN GARY WILLIAMS- I see hope- Stax LP

* DYNAMIC TINTS- Be my lady- Twinight

* MOSES SMITH- Keep on striving- Cotillion

* GEORGE SMITH- All in my mind- Kent 29th

* FABULOUS PLAYMATES- Don´t turn your back on lovin- Select

* EDDIE FLOYD- I´ve got a reason to smile- Stax

SET 1

* ? - Is it because i´m black(alt version)- Blank JA

* OTIS LEE- Hard row to hoe- Quaint

* HOLY DISCIPLES- Trying to make a hundred- Song Bird

* SOUL STIRRERS- Trying to be your friend- Jewel

* SKIP MAHONEY- Town called nowhere- DC International

* CHARLENE & SOUL SERENADERS- Can you win- Volt

* LEE BRACKETT- Ruby- Excello

* CAROL ANDERSON- Taking my mind off love- Whip

* OGLETREE BROTHERS- Gonna keep a check on you baby- Treetop

* HAMILTON MOVEMENT- She´s gone- Look Out

* JADES- Lucky fellow- Mode

* HOMER BANKS- Sweetie pie- Genie

* VOLUMES- Ain´t gonna give you up- Karen

* TOMMY TATE- I´m taking on pain- Okeh

SET 2

* RAMSEY & CO- Love call- Ramco

* MELVIN MOORE- All of a sudden- Sky hero

* TRUMAINS- Ripe fort he pickin- RCA

* MINITS- Still a part of me- Sounds Of Memphis

* T&T- Something on my mind- Cobra

* JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS- Got to be on the case- Art

* JESSIE JAMES- Are you gonna leave me- Shirley

* VOLUMES- Am i losing you- Karen

* STEVE MANCHA- Did my baby call- Wheelsville

* BOBBY KLINE- Say something nice to me- MB

* TONY CLARKE- The entertainer- Chess

Guest nsoulxx

I'll jusy reply Shaggy Hard on and Juicy Condom! :hatsoff2:

Bit late posting but had fun..although slightly hazy as forgot to eat but, funnily enough, didn't forget where the bar was:ph34r:. Apologies if you experienced a slightly garbled version..although I'm sure nobody noticed any change:lol: Nice to meet Leona and her hubster Adi...who I hadn't seen for 20 odd years.... and the only difference was facial hair!!

nsoulxx...i will be unable to attend as have a prior engagement with Legoland, must catch up soon...although I'm not sure who you are ha ha;)