Susan Phillips

Garethx

Hi all.

A few questions about Susan Phillips which i would be grateful if anyone could answer.

Does anyone have a copy of her All Platinum album Soft Sexy Soul?

Can anyone confirm the rumour that she is Sharon Soul of Wild Deuce / Coral fame?

I have a vague recollection of seeing an image of the All Platinum album which featured an African-American woman on the cover (never seen the actual record in the flesh though) and a Wild Deuce press shot of a white lady. Vocally they are close enough to possibly be the same singer but confirmation would be great.

There are some songwriting credits on other records from the Robinson's family of labels (on artists like The Whatnauts) which feature a Sharon 'Soul' Seiger or Sieger who is supposedly 'Susan Phillips'. Is Sharon Soul of northern soul fame also known as Sharon Seiger?

Did "He's Gone" ever appear on an All Platinum 45? There's a gap in the AP discography on Soulful Kinda Music on the number 2328, which the site has down as Just How Long / ?. (Just How Long is the reverse of All Platinum 2335, Key In The Mailbox.)

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Hi all.

A few questions about Susan Phillips which i would be grateful if anyone could answer.

Can anyone confirm the rumour that she is Sharon Soul of Wild Deuce / Coral fame?

I have a vague recollection of seeing an image of the All Platinum album which featured an African-American woman on the cover (never seen the actual record in the flesh though) and a Wild Deuce press shot of a white lady. Vocally they are close enough to possibly be the same singer but confirmation would be great.

There are some songwriting credits on other records from the Robinson's family of labels (on artists like The Whatnauts) which feature a Sharon 'Soul' Seiger or Sieger who is supposedly 'Susan Phillips'. Is Sharon Soul of northern soul fame also known as Sharon Seiger?

Did "He's Gone" ever appear on an All Platinum 45? There's a gap in the AP discography on Soulful Kinda Music on the number 2328, which the site has down as Just How Long / ?. (Just How Long is the reverse of All Platinum 2335, Key In The Mailbox.)

Don't say goodbye love is credited as "Sharon Soul" on the record. If you look at the BMI record (work number 326954), it credits Sharon Seiger. Sharon Soul is definitely Sharon Seiger. Also, the Sharon Soul records have New Jersey producers (George Kerr, Jesse Herring, etc.). I don't know whether Susan Phillips is Sharon Seiger but Susan Phillips "Just how long" credis Sharon Seiger as a writer.

Social source share

Don't say goodbye love is credited as "Sharon Soul" on the record. If you look at the BMI record (work number 326954), it credits Sharon Seiger. Sharon Soul is definitely Sharon Seiger. Also, the Sharon Soul records have New Jersey producers (George Kerr, Jesse Herring, etc.). I don't know whether Susan Phillips is Sharon Seiger but Susan Phillips "Just how long" credis Sharon Seiger as a writer.

also, this castle CD says Sharon Soul, Sharon Sieger, and Susan Phillips are the same person, don't know who wrote the info:

https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Twins-Mlps-Heartstopper/dp/B000U0TATW

Social source share

On 02/08/2010 at 09:48, garethx said:

Hi all.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

No album as far as I am aware.

I also don't think Sharon Soul = Sharon Phillips.

But you never know in this game.....I thought Sharon Phillips was about 14/15 when she recorded those sides for Sylvia Robinson. I got an awful "Junior Achievement award" 45 which |I think she was on. George Kerr production though. I'll have to check.

Social source share

Just curious, from what source did you did you get your information on Susan Phillips, and even the title "Soft Sexy Soul" ?

Are you thinking of the Gloria Barnes LP, in relation to which there have been previous threads on Soul Source ?

Of the All Platinum / Stang / Turbo / Maple / Astroscope etc family of labels, aside from hit artists Linda Jones, Rhetta Young, Shirley & Co and Sylvia the only femmes who had LP releases on the "rare side" were Gloria Barnes, Eleanor Mills, the Heartstoppers and the Oncoming Times (all four of which are brilliant and well worth breaking your bank for!)

No LP from Susan Phillips to my knowledge. I'm happy to be corrected though !

The LP & 45 discographies that have appeared to date in relation to the whole family of All Platinum labels remain criminally full of holes.

Here is the blurb from the amazon listing of Soul Twins Volume 3 CD, scheduled for release by Castle in 2007, but never to my knowledge released:

"The Third Volume in the Soul Twins Archive Series Takes Us to the Soul Sound Studios of all Platinum Records Inc. In Englewood, New Jersey. The Two Consecutive Albums (3005 and 3006) were Both Released in 1971 and have Long Since Disappeared Into Annals of Northern Soul History. The Heartstoppers were a New Jersey Foursome - Betty Baker, Tina Lee and Sisters Joyce and Geraldine Curry - and Released One Self-titled Album and a Handful of Singles for Joe and Sylvia Robinson. Susan Phillips was a Staff Writer at all Platinum under the Pseudonym Sharon Seiger and is also Known as Sharon Soul. Here We Feature her Solo Album Soft, Sexy, Soul which Has Eluded UK Collectors for Many Years."

The Castle / Outta Site website features a packshot. It's very small but you can definitely make out The Heartstoppers lp cover and what is supposedly the Susan Phillips lp cover:

https://www.outtasight.co.uk/products_discography.php

Social source share

Sharon Soul_Small.jpg

Here's Sharon Soul's press shot from the middle of the 60s. According to soulfuldetroit.com she is definitely Sharon Seiger who later wrote for The Moments, Whatnauts, Linda Jones and Susan Phillips among others. A quick listen to as much material from SS and SP that I can lay my hands on strengthens my belief that they are one and the same.

post-1080-002801800 1280748440_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Here's Sharon Soul's press shot from the middle of the 60s. According to soulfuldetroit.com she is definitely Sharon Seiger who later wrote for The Moments, Whatnauts, Linda Jones and Susan Phillips among others. A quick listen to as much material from SS and SP that I can lay my hands on strengthens my belief that they are one and the same.

But she doesn't look anything like the person on ther album cover>

the plot thickens.....

Social source share

Guest Demotron

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the always fantastic Mrs. Robinson just stuck some random black lady in the cover of the LP to sell it better to the black audiences.

Social source share

Everyone in this thread must have me on ignore but if that photo is signed to Dave Fleming on here, maybe he would have more info?

Social source share

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the always fantastic Mrs. Robinson just stuck some random black lady in the cover of the LP to sell it better to the black audiences.

I'd actually be quite surprised if the Robinson's recorded any white acts at all. They were quite "political" as I recall reading somewhere.

Social source share

I'd actually be quite surprised if the Robinson's recorded any white acts at all. They were quite "political" as I recall reading somewhere.

there are a few clearly white acts on stang / turbo, etc. There is a crappy pop / garage 45 by the humble gathering on stang, and I have some country-ish white solo artist on turbo (can't think of it right now). There were so many releases I'm sure I have at least one more.

Social source share

there are a few clearly white acts on stang / turbo, etc. There is a crappy pop / garage 45 by the humble gathering on stang, and I have some country-ish white solo artist on turbo (can't think of it right now). There were so many releases I'm sure I have at least one more.

So do you think Susan Phillips = Sharon Soul?

Social source share

So do you think Susan Phillips = Sharon Soul?

I don't know, I pretty much said what I knew above (that Sharon Soul is definitely Sharon Seiger). I didn't compare the records side to side yet to form a better opinion yet, will try to do that later. Thanks.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm bumping this thread because this was never resolved and is still a weird mystery. Sharon Soul can't be both Black and White at the same time. I think there are two possibilities here:

1. Sharon Soul is not Susan Phillips (I'm not that confident in Castle liner notes). It's possible Sharon Soul might not even be Sharon Sieger, as BMI records are wrong more often than I previously thought, but I think she probably is as "Sharon Soul" is mostly likely a pseudonym.

2. Sharon Soul, Susan Phillips, and Sharon Sieger are the same person and All Platinum used a photo of an unrelated African American woman on the Susan Phillips LP cover (sort of the inverse of what happened on 50s doowop LP covers marketed toward White audiences).

Anybody have any further opinion about the two? I would have definitely said #1 as it seems more plausible than #2, but , listening to the records, Sharon Soul sounds White and Susan Phillips sounds like she might be White. Also, to further complicate things, All Platinum really didn't care that much about proper artist credit -- for example, the Val Martin 45 is clearly Donnie Elbert on the A-side but if you get a stock copy, it's a recording of someone else on the flip.

One more thing. I'm pretty sure Susan Phillips on All Platinum 2328 ("just how long") does come as a rare stock copy with the flipside, does anyone have it? I think the flip is "he's gone" but I'm not sure.

Social source share

Thanks for bumping this Bob as I have a bit of an update. I got through to Sharon Soul's son via youtube. He eventually answered:

"Did I ever respond to this message. Yes I am the son of Nate and Sharon. Good to meet you.

There is no connection to Susan Phillips - atleast they are not the same person...but my mom may have known her..."

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I asked her if she was the Sharon Soul on the Girl Crazy 45 that Goldmine put out,she said no and it was not her singing and

she had never heard of this song,she married a Nate Edmunds who worked at All Platinium/Stang.i did have more info

but can`t find the notes i had as it`s been a few years now,and yes that`s my photo she sent me to say thanks for

helping her son with scans and a Cdr of her songs as he was going to make a Cd of his mum`s material.....

Dave f...... 

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 17/03/2013 at 17:15, Dave Fleming said:

I asked her if she was the Sharon Soul on the Girl Crazy 45 that Goldmine put out,she said no and it was not her singing and

she had never heard of this song,she married a Nate Edmunds who worked at All Platinium/Stang.i did have more info

but can`t find the notes i had as it`s been a few years now,and yes that`s my photo she sent me to say thanks for

helping her son with scans and a Cdr of her songs as he was going to make a Cd of his mum`s material.....

Dave f...... 

Susan Phillips was a Staff Writer at All Platinum under the Pseudonym Sharon Seiger and is also Known as Sharon Soul.

Social source share

On 21/03/2019 at 15:30, Blackpoolsoul said:

Susan Phillips was a Staff Writer at All Platinum under the Pseudonym Sharon Seiger and is also Known as Sharon Soul.

I thought we'd established in another topic that Susan Philips was not Sharon Seiger or Sharon Soul.  The above, taken from Discogs is incorrect.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, NateEdmondsJr said:

Susan Phillips was a recording artist that my father produced along with my mother Sharon (Soul) Seiger at All Platinum Records.  Sharon and Susan are not the same but worked together at All Platinum.  Sharon had these aliases: Sharon, Sharon Soul, Sharon Seiger, Sharon Roberts, and Sharon Sole (misprint on her last album).  I have a picture of Nate and Susan working together at All Platinum in 1971 (https://photos.app.goo.gl/Po2WVFHgDyDvhzax7).

hey welcome to the site and thanks for sharing the above info

great photo as well

thumbs up

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!