Great "b" Side

Mrtag

I HAVE ALWAYS RATED THE PROFESSIONAL "B" SIDE TO "THATS WHY I LOVE YOU" AS A TOP TUNE!! THERE VERSION OF "DID MY BABY CALL" REALLY HITS THE SPOT FOR ME EVEN THOUGH I LIKE STEVE MANCHA'S VERSION, BUT SURPRISE SURPRISE !!! I WAS INFORMED FROM A GOOD SOURCE THAT IT IS NOT THE PROFESSIONALS BUT ANOTHER TAKE FROM STEVE MANCHA AND ALSO THAT THE PROFESSIONALS DID NOT KNOW THAT "THATS WHY I LOVE YOU" HAD EVER BEEN RELEASED!! CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD IS TRUE??

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I HAVE ALWAYS RATED THE PROFESSIONAL "B" SIDE TO "THATS WHY I LOVE YOU" AS A TOP TUNE!! THERE VERSION OF "DID MY BABY CALL" REALLY HITS THE SPOT FOR ME EVEN THOUGH I LIKE STEVE MANCHA'S VERSION, BUT SURPRISE SURPRISE !!! I WAS INFORMED FROM A GOOD SOURCE THAT IT IS NOT THE PROFESSIONALS BUT ANOTHER TAKE FROM STEVE MANCHA AND ALSO THAT THE PROFESSIONALS DID NOT KNOW THAT "THATS WHY I LOVE YOU" HAD EVER BEEN RELEASED!! CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD IS TRUE??

yes to the first question and im sure Hitsville chalky will answer the second

Social source share

I have pm'd him I hope he doesn't mind!!

Replied and explained :huh: what Ive been informed by Steve Calloway , yes they never seen a copy of the 45 until steve calloway came over in 2008 and Max showed him his copy although they was often told they got a 45 out .

ps We Recorded Did my baby call With Steve Calloway last yr in The studio .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

THIS WAS THE REPLY FROM CHALKY::thumbsup::yes:

Hi John ..all above is correct , when i was in Detroit a few yrs ago i was with Joe pep Harris from Unisputed truth and Fabulous Peps and we was in a bar for Joe Hunters ( Funk brothers awake ) in the bar there was loads of singers Joe pointed some out to me which i already met and knew , he then pointed at this guy at the bar and asked if i knew him I said NO .. thats steve Calloway from The Professinals . get him over i said as he walked over ..i started to sing " That's why i love you " he said hey how you now that ..i then explained , I Have became a great friend to steve over the yrs , when me and joe refomed the Fabulous peps to come over in 2008 two of the original peps due to health reason didnt come ..we decided to replace one with Steve .. he came over and for the live show we put in That's why i love you ( Check it out on you tube ) , last yr i brought steve ( solo) back over to do a grovesville review ..we did do Did my Baby call in the show , what steve tells me ... He never seen a copy of the groovecity 45 although he was often told they got a 45 out , Blue max showed him his copy when he was over first with the peps , he tells me it was along long time ago and recalls Don davis getting in touch and going into the stuido and they done a few takes of Thats why i love you , they never recorded Did my Baby call .. it was a early take ..if i recall right by Steve Mancha , although they allowed Don to use the Name The Professinals , I also think this is the best version . Hopefully I'm bring steve Back over oct or Dec ..feel free to contact me and speak to him , Hope this helps

Chalky

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

This old chestnut comes up again and again. To my mind the explanation directly above doesn't definitively state that the version on the Groove City 45 has a Steve Mancha lead vocal, merely says "if I recall right". It isn't any of The Professionals but it sounds nothing like Steve Mancha to me. He had an incredibly distinctive voice and the tone and diction on the Groove City 45 are both unlike any Steve Mancha vocal either as a solo artist or as part of a group. He may have appeared in the vocal backing on the record (he wrote the song after all) but I'm convinced the lead voice is not his. Mancha's voice was far more flexible and far purer in tone. In my mind Mancha was one of the all time great Detroit soul singers and the voice on 'The Professionals' take of DMBC (rather ironically) sounds like that of an amateur.

Social source share

This old chestnut comes up again and again. To my mind the explanation directly above doesn't definitively state that the version on the Groove City 45 has a Steve Mancha lead vocal, merely says "if I recall right". It isn't any of The Professionals but it sounds nothing like Steve Mancha to me. He had an incredibly distinctive voice and the tone and diction on the Groove City 45 are both unlike any Steve Mancha vocal either as a solo artist or as part of a group. He may have appeared in the vocal backing on the record (he wrote the song after all) but I'm convinced the lead voice is not his. Mancha's voice was far more flexible and far purer in tone. In my mind Mancha was one of the all time great Detroit soul singers and the voice on 'The Professionals' take of DMBC (rather ironically) sounds like that of an amateur.

It is Steve Mancha an early Cut which That i meant ... If i recall Right , Steve Calloway told me and a few others in Detroit , have to agree Steve Mancha was a great Detroit Soul singer .

Social source share

As Stated in the early thread I like both but the take on the 'b' side of the professionals is the better !! imho play them back to back and see for yourself it's just got something more about it a better dance tune not just my view but quite a few peoples !! atb John.

Social source share

As Stated in the early thread I like both but the take on the 'b' side of the professionals is the better !! imho play them back to back and see for yourself it's just got something more about it a better dance tune not just my view but quite a few peoples !! atb John.

have you heard the mad lads version? the best by far IMHO

Social source share

great verson ! although i don't think best .

I'M WITH YOU ON THIS ONE CHALKY!! NICE VERSION BUT IMHO NOT THE BEST!!! I THINK IT IS BETWEEN THE TWO VERSIONS I STARTED THIS TOPIC WITH AND IT'S A CLOSE CALL BUT MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS THE 'B' SIDE TO THE PROFESSIONALS WHOEVER IT IS :lol: THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL CHOICE :lol: REMEMBER ONE MAN'S MEAT IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON :thumbsup:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

I'M WITH YOU ON THIS ONE CHALKY!! NICE VERSION BUT IMHO NOT THE BEST!!! I THINK IT IS BETWEEN THE TWO VERSIONS I STARTED THIS TOPIC WITH AND IT'S A CLOSE CALL BUT MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS THE 'B' SIDE TO THE PROFESSIONALS WHOEVER IT IS :lol: THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL CHOICE :lol: REMEMBER ONE MAN'S MEAT IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON :thumbsup:

Spoke to Steve Calloway last night ..he still says it's Mancha , when I'm next over Detroit I do intend to Vist Steve Mancha who is now in a rest home ..but same old story we are talking ... its been nearly 50yrs or so and most of the artist's do forget alot what they have done ... it happend when i put The Elgin's back to come over in 2007 for Northampton .. I told Yvonne the live track list ..when i said " My love for your love " she didn't know it and said it wasn't her ..i said it was only till i played her the track she said my god ..i totally forgot about that recording .

Social source share

Spoke to Steve Calloway last night ..he still says it's Mancha , when I'm next over Detroit I do intend to Vist Steve Mancha who is now in a rest home ..but same old story we are talking ... its been nearly 50yrs or so and most of the artist's do forget alot what they have done ... it happend when i put The Elgin's back to come over in 2007 for Northampton .. I told Yvonne the live track list ..when i said " My love for your love " she didn't know it and said it wasn't her ..i said it was only till i played her the track she said my god ..i totally forgot about that recording .

I know what your saying ! but let me know the outcome!! ATB John :thumbsup:

Social source share

Will do John .... also Joey Kingfish done a version , spoke to Joey about a month ago ..nice Fellow .

Hi Chalky, Don't know that one, well not off the top of my head anyway!! I will pm you later I need a bit more info!!:rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!