Ian Levine " The Godfather " Of Northern Soul

Guest chorleybloke

Had this sent through, & what an interesting read it is, READ IT ALL, before you comment .  IAN LEVINE INTERVIEW

Jon Buck

link

And in case you're wondering, Stuart Bremner, the bloke credited with turning Ian Levine towards Soul music is alive & well here in Perth, Western Australia. A good friend, an absolute gentleman & still mad for it.

Cheers

Pete Down Under wicked.gif

Social source share

Just whizz through it nice one Jon,talking about whizz if I can remember Ian was dead against it first time he try it he got busted I heard that through sources.

Billy

link

I don't know anything about drugs at all ! But what a good read this Interview is, a good insite into the early days, from in Ian's words "The Godfather" of Northern Soul

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

he's a bit of a twat but still an interesting and informative interview jon.

the new york gay scene sounds like it would have been interesting (musically i hasten to add) and close parallel to the northern scene, buggery aside.

i didn't know he was behind heaven.

i used to go there occasionally in my days in london.

quite an eye opener. blokes with the arses cut out of their leather trews snogging each other on the dancefloor - there's something you rarely see at Kev Roberts' oldies nights - and god knows what else going on in the little dark nooks and crannies.

but good music and a laugh.

his northern knowledge is great and if you could strip away the politics and the ego it would make a great book (or a big chunk of one).

Social source share

close parallel to the northern scene, buggery aside.

link

whistling.gif

I remember him being involved in Heaven. Also Weather Girls, high energy etc + Take That's first producer.

Year's ago we had a lodger called Greg living with us once, a real thug hard nut. He told a tale of giving a couple of 'nice boys' a lift to and from the Heaven Club. My mate said, "so it's fair to say then Greg, that you took two gays to heaven and back"! :shades:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

whistling.gif

I remember him being involved in Heaven.  Also Weather Girls, high energy etc + Take That's first producer.

Year's ago we had a lodger called Greg living with us once, a real thug hard nut. He told a tale of giving a couple of 'nice boys' a lift to and from the Heaven Club. My mate said, "so it's fair to say then Greg, that you took two gays to heaven and back"!  :shades:

link

Ian you are talking about taking gay lads to Heaven and back, and your avitar says "I've Had it".

Freud might have a theory about this....

Social source share

shades.gif

I remember him being involved in Heaven.  Also Weather Girls, high energy etc + Take That's first producer.

Year's ago we had a lodger called Greg living with us once, a real thug hard nut. He told a tale of giving a couple of 'nice boys' a lift to and from the Heaven Club. My mate said, "so it's fair to say then Greg, that you took two gays to heaven and back"!  ranting_1.gif

link

He/she owned the place ian!,the toilets were intresting to say the least,great place

though underneath the arches,went to soul night in St ives last week,and blow me

if they werent the same bogs....... :shades:

Social source share

He/she owned the place ian!,the toilets were intresting to say the least,great place

though underneath the arches,went to soul night in St ives last week,and blow me

if they werent the same bogs....... ranting_1.gif

link

So take it you spent a lot of time in the toilets then Ken to compare them with St Ives whistling.gifshades.gif:shades:

Social source share

So take it you spent a lot of time in the toilets then Ken to compare them with St Ives  whistling.gif   shades.gif   ranting_1.gif

link

Not really,how could you forget a troff with a waterfall all in stainless steel,fab!! :shades:

Social source share

That's an interesting site, it states Terry Noel as the first to "mix" between singles therefore being the first superstar DJ, but in the (IMO) best documentarty about Northern shown only up North a few years ago, Jimmy Saville claims to be the one who invented Djing when he told the owner of a club he needed two record players, "are they in that much of a hurry to hear the next record Jimmy?" he said, "my people are - yes" retorted Jimmy.

Social source share

Not really,how could you forget a troff with a waterfall all in stainless steel,fab!! blush.gif

link

That sounds a bit posh just for a loo! Us girls don't get that sort of stuff - normally broken black plastic seats, cracked sinks (where we sit to put our face paint on), wet floors, no toilet paper .. the list is endless ... I shall now start using the gentleman's conveniences :shades:

Social source share

I remember Heaven (under the arches)- an Alldayer quite few years ago - I enjoyed it, but few strange people - of course as well as me and my mates!

Social source share

if they werent the same bogs....... blush.gif

link

Number one, what were you doing in a gay club? Number two, don't dwell on toilets (subject of) in gay clubs. Lastly number three, avoid usage of the phrase "blow me" in such matters.

Social source share

blush.gif

I remember him being involved in Heaven. Also Weather Girls, high energy etc + Take That's first producer.

The stuff of legend !

He wasn't Take That's first producer- that money spinning job went to someone else- and he didn't produce The Weather Girls either ! :shades:

Social source share

Number one, what were you doing in a gay club?  Number two, don't dwell on toilets (subject of) in gay clubs. Lastly number three, avoid usage of the phrase "blow me" in such matters.

link

As usual, keep a thread going long enough and it always comes round to gay sex.

It's all you Southerners IMO.

That doesn't mean you Kenny :ohmy:

Social source share

Ian you are talking about taking gay lads to Heaven and back, and your avitar says "I've Had it".

Freud might have a theory about this....

link

Correction Michael, I was talking about Greg taking to gays to heaven and back :ohmy:

I've had it with that avatar.

Freud might have a theory if he wasn't dead :ohmy:

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Southerner, yes :lol:   Gay sex? No, not for me thanks :yes:

link

those who protest the most :ohmy:

nice to meet you the other night Ian. :ohmy:

Shane

Social source share

Okey dokey Ian !

link

Think Dave Stewart produced 'It's raining men'

TAKE THAT IN ONE MINUTE

The band were originally put together to be the English answer to New Kids On The Block

Legendary northern soul DJ and Hi-NRG innovator Ian Levine produced several of their early hits

Prior to fame, Gary had played organ with Ken Dodd, and Robbie had a bit part in Brookside

In 1992 they went on the 'Safe Sex' tour, backed by the Family Planning Association

Mr Blobby knocked them off the Christmas #1 spot in 1993

When the band split up The Samaritans set up telephone help lines to counsel distraught fans

Anyway, this thread's way to gay for me, I'm off to Stoke, where men are men (and sheep are frightened) :ohmy:

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Misunderstanding now cleared up  :ohmy:

link

That was a joke you gay sod! :yes:

This thread's about fashion on the Northern Soul scene and not about sexism.  But I'm not sexist, honest! I'm in touch with my feminine side whist still being reassuringly heterosexual :ohmy:

link

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

our 300 gay members wont be offended by this light banter.

source: UB40 said it was 1 in ten. We now have over 3000 members

Gotta go.....Judy Garland documentary just started on Sky One :ohmy:

Shane

Social source share

Gotta go.....Judy Garland documentary just started on Sky One  :ohmy:

Shane

link

How do you know we have 300 gay members?

Social source share

Basic maths on the principle of 1 in ten. I am no expert though.  :ohmy:

Shane

link

Ah yes I see, could well be then. Who knows? Sure as you say they wouldn't be offended by this light banter. Nothing against gays you understand, all the more totty for us real men! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Ah yes I see, could well be then.  Who knows? Sure as you say they wouldn't be offended by this light banter.  Nothing against gays you understand, all the more totty for us real men! :ohmy:

link

it wouldnt suit you being Gay mate. It would destroy you to be rejected by women and men :ohmy::yes:

Shane

Social source share

Shane

link

Ah yes, UB40 the font of all human knowledge. :ohmy:

'One In Ten' was just about statistics in general and as this proves they are a dangerous thing and can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say.

"Red Red Wine, goes to my he-e -e-ad"

Actually that was Neil Diamond but we all knew it was true. :ohmy:

I'm going back to listening to Rance Allen's "Reasons To Survive"

PS. Take That had two producers before Levine and Paul Jabara and Bob Esty produced The Weather Girls which is a horrible record who were much much better individually anyway.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Ah yes, UB40 the font of all human knowledge.  :yes:

'One In Ten' was just about statistics in general and as this proves they are a dangerous thing and can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say.

Actually that was Neil Diamond but we all knew it was true.  :ohmy:

I'm going back to listening to Rance Allen's "Reasons To Survive"

PS. Take That had two producers before Levine and Paul Jabara and Bob Esty produced The Weather Girls which is a horrible record who were much much better individually anyway.

link

Its not just UB40 who helped form my educational skills. ABC were also a key pop group to assist me with learning the alphabet. :ohmy:

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Ah yes, UB40 the font of all human knowledge.  :lol:

Actually that was Neil Diamond but we all knew it was true.  :ohmy:

link

Actualy it was Tony Tribe or at least thats the version UB40 were paying homage to. :ohmy: Suprised a certain pete smith hasn't jumped in with that one :yes:

Social source share

This thread's about fashion on the Northern Soul scene and not about sexism. But I'm not sexist, honest! Check out my signature. I'm in touch with my feminine side whist still being reassuringly heterosexual

link

Too much sex on this!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Actualy it was Tony Tribe or at least thats the version UB40 were paying homage to.  :thumbsup: Suprised a certain pete smith hasn't jumped in with that one  :D

link

Yes, I know it was Tony Tribe but Neil Diamond WROTE it.

Social source share

Too much sex on this!!!  :thumbsup:

link

Wow Karen , what a georgeous avatar :D

I like the weather girls and ABC :D

Edited by KarenC
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Thats my joke  :angry:  I nicked it off Bernard Manning  :D

link

its no good in your head. give it to the people.

comedy is all about............................................timing :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Getting somewhere near back on topic for a cotton pickin' moment. Have you seen the size of Levine (Jon's pic post#18) these days :thumbsup: Saw him at 100 few year's back and although he's always been a bit of a chunk, he was nowhere near that size - orca!

Social source share

Getting somewhere near back on topic for a cotton pickin' moment.  Have you seen the size of Levine (Jon's pic post#18) these days :thumbsup: Saw him at 100 few year's back and although he's always been a bit of a chunk, he was nowhere near that size - orca!

link

And if you look carefully he is saying "I'm Not Fat "

post-2461-1123600113_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!