Eric Lomax/joe Johnson C/u's

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm just posting up cut versions of these tracks in the Sounds section by kind permission of Mick Smith obviously they are not complete. I wonder if any one will share the full versions with us

link

"Joe Johnsson"...?

I thought it was covered up as "Troy Johnsson" and "Major Harris".

Has it been covered as "Joe Johnsson" as well?

// Kristoffer

Social source share

"Joe Johnsson"...?

I thought it was covered up as "Troy Johnsson" and "Major Harris".

Has it been covered as "Joe Johnsson" as well?

// Kristoffer

link

Mick smith had one of the first copies from soul bowl and that is what he covered it up as i think dave welding and steve g had them at the same time

Social source share

I think the "Troy Johnson" side is a bit better than the "Eric Lomax" side, but am I alone in wondering if this 45 would have had anything like the scene longevity it has had through being covered up? I'd go so far as to say that no-one on the 60s Northern scene would be interested in the least if this record had been allowed to stand or fall on musical merit, without the hype. Wishy-washy seventies pop-soul: nothing more or less.

Social source share

I think the "Troy Johnson" side is a bit better than the "Eric Lomax" side, but am I alone in wondering if this 45 would have had anything like the scene longevity it has had through being covered up? I'd go so far as to say that no-one on the 60s Northern scene would be interested in the least if this record had been allowed to stand or fall on musical merit, without the hype. Wishy-washy seventies pop-soul: nothing more or less.

link

I agree the Inst. breaks are the best bits

Social source share

Soon, there must be more collectors who know what this is than not :ohmy:

Still nobody dare to share it with the world :ohmy:

Cheers,

Christian B

PS! Thanks for sharing those sound clips, matey.

Edited by cC B
Social source share

link

Am I right in thinking that you think that the interest in the record is based only on the hype and nothing what so ever on its musical quality? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Soon, there must be more collectors who know what this is than not  :D

Still nobody dare to share it with the world  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Christian B

PS! Thanks for sharing those sound clips, matey.

link

Wouldn't sit and listen to this at home but one of those that sounds pretty good to me out on a big floor :D

And yes a lot of people do seem to know (claim to know?) who it is!!

Social source share

I'm just posting up cut versions of these tracks in the Sounds section by kind permission of Mick Smith obviously they are not complete. I wonder if any one will share the full versions with us

link

Hi Ted,

I'm not a big fan of 70s :D but I've always thought the Eric Lomax c/u had the x factor that makes a great dancer. I would certainly buy it, and always get's me on the floor when played out. FANTASTIC :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Phil

Social source share

good on ya gal..

its fandabbiedozie.

I palyed it at The Taxi club

just a pity there was only 20 people in at the time

But I enjoyed hearing it..again for the millionth time

ahah

the gasher

link

21 - my fat ass counts double :-)

You did a great spot big yin- this was one of the highlights !

Hammy

Social source share

Yes C your right it did,but i still can`t find either of the buggers ohmy.gif

Dave f...........

link

Not according to Butch all the two label hype is a mix up on someone elses part

He picked up a couple of records in the same week one was a second copy of Eric and the other was something else which

he said was released on another label..I think it was Marc F that he was telling the story too and the lines were crossed at that piont in Berlin.

Butch picked up a second copy but on the same label.NOT another one.

Hence he sold the other one to me.

the gasher..and thats from Butch himself unless he is a lying fecker too.

which I doubt

Social source share

21 - my fat ass counts double :-)

You did a great spot big yin- this was one of the highlights !

Hammy

link

cheers Hambo..gret day.Loved it and had a blast

roll on next one.good to see Dean Anderson spinning the wheels of steel

in a tartan hat with the Aberdeen soulclub patch on it.

thanks mate

regards gasher

Social source share

Not according to Butch all the two label hype is a mix up on someone elses part

He picked up a couple of records in the same week one was a second copy of Eric and the other was something else which

he said was released on another label..I think it was Marc F that he was telling the story too and the lines were crossed at that piont in Berlin.

Butch picked up a second copy but on the same label.NOT another one.

Hence he sold the other one to me.

the gasher..and thats from Butch himself unless he is a lying fecker too.

which I doubt

link

Interesting,only on one label that makes it easier :shades::thumbsup:

i was told by someone who has a copy that he thought it came out on two labels,but it must have been the cross wired story he heard also :thumbsup:

Dave f............

Social source share

I love seventies soul, and consider it to be the golden decade, the artistic pinnacle of soul music. I just think this 45 is distinctly average. I realise I'm in the minority, but stand by what I said.

My main point is that lots of people who wouldn't normally touch a quality 70s dancer are chasing this 45 simply because it's a big cover-up. Had it been spun uncovered, and everybody had access to the label and artist information, very few of those people would have been bothered to shell out fortunes for it.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I love seventies soul, and consider it to be the golden decade, the artistic pinnacle of soul music. I just think this 45 is distinctly average. I realise I'm in the minority, but stand by what I said.

My main point is that lots of people who wouldn't normally touch a quality 70s dancer are chasing this 45 simply because it's a big cover-up. Had it been spun uncovered, and everybody had access to the label and artist information, very few of those people would have been bothered to shell out fortunes for it.

link

Gotta agree to a certain point Gareth. Heard this at one point every week and got bored with it. Flip much better.

Even if it had been uncovered you've still got to find copies. Lots know it's true title/artist but only seen the couple on the bay in recent times. Wonder if John Anderson got anymore :thumbsup:

Social source share

Gotta agree to a certain point Gareth.  Heard this at one point every week and got bored with it.  Flip much better.

Even if it had been uncovered you've still got to find copies.  Lots know it's true title/artist but only seen the couple on the bay in recent times.  Wonder if John Anderson got anymore  :thumbsup:

link

It's in the "nice, but nothing special" category IMHO.

I agree that the 'cover up' status afforded to it undoubtedly adds to its appeal (and indeed, to any cover up). I'm amazed that in 2005 the scene still perpetuates such a bizarre and arcane practice as the cover-up. Is there a real reason for it? or is its continuation purely for nostalgia purposes?

Social source share

It's in the "nice, but nothing special" category IMHO.

I agree that the 'cover up' status afforded to it undoubtedly adds to its appeal (and indeed, to any cover up). I'm amazed that in 2005 the scene still perpetuates such a bizarre and arcane practice as the cover-up. Is there a real reason for it? or is its continuation purely for nostalgia purposes?

link

Same reason as always, hide the identity and therefore give the dj some form of exclusivity. If I'd payed 3k for a record I'd want to get as much use out of it as possible before every tom dick and harry dj gets a copy, especially as it's easier than it has ever been to find records without getting off your arse.

Social source share

Same reason as always, hide the identity and therefore give the dj some form of exclusivity.  If I'd payed 3k for a record I'd want to get as much use out of it as possible before every tom dick and harry dj gets a copy, especially as it's easier than it has ever been to find records without getting off your arse.

link

It's certainly easier to "find" records without getting off your arse if you're willing to pay 3k for them! :thumbsup:

As for "exclusivity", If at least 4 or 5 DJs are spinning this covered-up, it's hardly an exclusive as I understand the term.

Social source share

It's certainly easier to "find" records without getting off your arse if you're willing to pay 3k for them! :thumbsup:

As for "exclusivity", If at least 4 or 5 DJs are spinning this covered-up, it's hardly an exclusive as I understand the term.

link

Thought you were talking cover ups in general :shades: Quite a number of exclusive records in the posession of DJ's.

I'm not only talking spending big bucks! Some DJ's put the effort and hours into finding new records for the scene. Why should a DJ or collector bother just for someone else to make a name for himself off the back of his/her efforts :angry:

It would only happen so many times before you said f*ck it why bother.

It also goes on on e-bay, others watching certain collectors and what they bid for cause they don't have the knowledge and just feed off others knowledge!

No better than parasites IMO :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Thought you were talking cover ups in general  :thumbsup:   Quite a number of exclusive records in the posession of DJ's. 

I'm not only talking spending big bucks!  Some DJ's put the effort and hours into finding new records for the scene.  Why should a DJ or collector bother just for someone else to make a name for himself off the back of his/her efforts  :angry:   

It would only happen so many times before you said f*ck it why bother.

It also goes on on e-bay, others watching certain collectors and what they bid for cause they don't have the knowledge and just feed off others knowledge!

No better than parasites IMO  :thumbsup:

link

Chalky, I think broadly speaking we're in agreement on a number of things. I agree that the scene continues to exist due partly to the efforts of the few people who've put the time and effort into finding new material. This is true of any 'scene', or indeed any profession.

We all know the people who push boundaries and challenge perceptions on the Rare Soul scene - those who take records that cost them a few dollars and turn them into big sounds. If they choose to disguise the identity of that sound, then fair enough - that's their right, I guess.

It just struck me as being slightly perverse that a record that quite a lot of DJs have, (in relative terms) and even more know the true identity of, is still covered-up, even when it has filtered down to the second or even third level of the Rare Soul food chain. I think it's a cover-up for cover-ups sake, rather than to protect the integrity of the original innovator's efforts.

I similarly take issue with those of the seemingly bottomless pocket variety who can buy any of those big sounds with a phone call - those that can build up a small but phenomenally expensive collection of 'must-have' sounds without having to put in the effort and readily dispose of the records when they're considered no longer fashionable.

I thought it hilarious that the Four Vandals "scandal" (as I've heard it described) caught a few out, probably because they've never needed to exercise the depth of knowledge or attention to detail that the innovators have.

Oh well, it's only Northern Soul, but I like it!

Social source share

Chalky, I think broadly speaking we're in agreement on a number of things. I agree that the scene continues to exist due partly to the efforts of the few people who've put the time and effort into finding new material. This is true of any 'scene', or indeed any profession.

We all know the people who push boundaries and challenge perceptions on the Rare Soul scene - those who take records that cost them a few dollars and turn them into big sounds. If they choose to disguise the identity of that sound, then fair enough - that's their right, I guess.

It just struck me as being slightly perverse that a record that quite a lot of DJs have, (in relative terms) and even more know the true identity of, is still covered-up, even when it has filtered down to the second or even third level of the Rare Soul food chain. I think it's a cover-up for cover-ups sake, rather than to protect the integrity of the original innovator's efforts.

I similarly take issue with those of the seemingly bottomless pocket variety who can buy any of those big sounds with a phone call - those that can build up a small but phenomenally expensive collection of 'must-have' sounds without having to put in the effort and readily dispose of the records when they're considered no longer fashionable.

I thought it hilarious that the Four Vandals "scandal" (as I've heard it described) caught a few out, probably because they've never needed to exercise the depth of knowledge or attention to detail that the innovators have.

Oh well, it's only Northern Soul, but I like it!

link

Like you said mate, think we are on the same wavelength. Didn't the DJ's who have the Eric Lomax from JA get them on the understanding that they played them covered up :thumbsup: I heard the reason Sam didn't get one initially was that he wouldn't play a record covered up? :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

My main point is that lots of people who wouldn't normally touch a quality 70s dancer are chasing this 45 simply because it's a big cover-up. Had it been spun uncovered, and everybody had access to the label and artist information, very few people of those people would have been bothered to shell out fortunes for it.

link

funny one this am sure that someone who has read all the past discussion and then listened to it via pc may be wondering just what all fuss is about, but as someone said it certainly does have something about it that lifts it up above other 70s 45s, its been one of those 45s that pops in and out of me world a fair bit, but just put a brief bit about some as sort of gives another view on it

think first heard mick smith play it at 100 club 4 or 5 years ago?

on first hear straight away grabbed my attention, think took me and mucker something like 3 or 4 100 clubs to remember details past a sunday nite- and then sussed out was a cover up

straight away on first hear it hit me and others instantly

Later on was thrown to hear Butch play it at first Llandudno Conniseurs weekender it being a Mick Smith cover and all that, fairly different crowd but think floor reaction and others hearing it first time was again fairly instant thumbs up

Keele - think one of first of revamped ones, went to after-event thing, and there in house heard someone on mobile telling mate about nite and then started going on about what a great 70s track he heard for first time played by Mick Smith, said dunno what was but chorus went something "girl your so good....."

again sort of demos just what sort of effect it did have on some people when played out and on first hear

Since then when have heard it more often, it always gets a good reaction, and to me whole venue always seem to get a feel-good vibe given off by it, smile on your face stuff, even glass collectors have a spring in their step when its on

am a sucker for instant stuff, but from what saw dont think fact it was covered up was a factor in its popularity what so ever, certainly couldnt be to me and others on first hear, dunno what it has but does have something that raises it above many others

is it a great record ? is it a average record?

shrug

in normal world cant say, hear it thru pc but still connect it with certain events and still makes me smile when chorus kicks in, so gonna have a diff outlook

than someone listening to the clipped track on here

suppose all can say is to me its a great record when its played out

Social source share

is it a great record ? is it a average record?

shrug

in normal world cant say, hear it thru pc but still connect it with certain events and still makes me smile when chorus kicks in, so gonna have a diff outlook

than someone listening to the clipped track on here

suppose all can say is to me its a great record when its played out

link

Your right in saying it does have something but like I said I got a bit over exposed to it at one point. At one stage was hearing most Fridays and Saturdays. Suppose the less you hear it the better it is :thumbsup::thumbsup: The flip is the better of the two sides for me :shades:

Social source share

Your right in saying it does have something but like I said I got a bit over exposed to it at one point.  At one stage was hearing most Fridays and Saturdays.  Suppose the less you hear it the better it is  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   The flip is the better of the two sides for me  :shades:

link

yeah was thinking that before, havent heard it for a while,

always trouble with instant stuff, short life span

who else has it now or how many doing rounds?

Social source share

I heard the reason Sam didn't get one initially was that he wouldn't play a record covered up?  :thumbsup:

link

No Sam didn't like it that much for a long time.....I remember playing both sides to him (covered up of course!) a few years ago and he wasn't pursuaded. Of course, things change, and he grew to like it....but that's essentially why it took him so long to get one...Steve

Social source share

link

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!