New Century Last Nite

A quick word on last nite

Most enjoyable

Started night off at the warm up at Ducie Bridge, Little Richard was just finishing off his spot, had a quick game off guess what birthday Mark Bicknell is celebrating tomorrow (today - happy Birthday Mark). My guess of 46 didn't win , but going by Marks reaction think must have been over the top.

Found out from Stevie Cato who puts the warm up together that Mark Bolton wasn't showing and due to non-show of guy booked to replace him asked could I go on early. No probs so dished out a hour of stuff from toolbox, Little Richard had dished out some great stuff and fact that he was 25 caused a bit of confusion as people keep getting us mixed up:)

Cause of no-show me and Richard messed around for last hour

And have to say whole show was most enjoyable, place had a great feel good buzz, got packed, was told busiest one yet and best of all had a right old laugh.

Thanks to Stevie C. After great start to nite quick nip across the road to CIS building .

Right won't mention it here deeply yet, but lets just say after all the crap rumours going round you will be suprised to hear that that was just what it was crap.(the rumours that is)

Run out of time for much detail, place was busy a good buzz going, lots of familar faces knocking round from all over uk, floor, bar area busy and thriving. Fair old mix coming from main room djs, something for everyone ?, good to see youngish feel to crowd. Bar area had lots of vinyl dealers, few bargains to be had, Sync mcgowan for 25 quid.

brief odds

Monkey Next one date fully confirmed - FRIDAY JULY 09

plus believe it or not, trivia stuff like djs, flyers and so on almost sorted

more details later

New Issue SKM out now -

Also New Out a SKM special issue

Label discography issue

more info on these two latest issues later

Midlands - loads of these types around and loads of news of upcoming events.

North Wales - Fair few knocking around with usual suspects up to all sorts of no goodness. Steve passed on the charity dayer at lowton was a good one

Nods to Bret, finally bumped into him, hopefully you can remember what agreed and what subject was agreeing to as I can't. All usual rogues, out in force.

End quick view

simple.. in my view a most enjoyable nite

• Replies 21
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Arcticsoulboy

A brilliant night indeed. A big thank you to all we met at the Ducie Bridge and the New Century house making two swedes feel very, very welcome. Chris W, Chris G, Steve C, Richard, Brett, Mark and Dave Rimmer and many others - we owe you a pint or three next time we meet, which I hope will be soon. NCSC is the one of the best venues I´ve been to in the UK: great sound system, beautiful main room, good DJ`s, luverly Boddington´s for a quid a pint and a great atmosphere. We´ll be back soon and bring some more swedish soulies with us.

KTF / Lars

Guest LeoLyxxx

A brilliant night indeed. A big thank you to all we met at the Ducie Bridge and the New Century house making two swedes feel very, very welcome. Chris W, Chris G, Steve C, Richard, Brett, Mark and Dave Rimmer and many others - we owe you a pint or three next time we meet, which I hope will be soon. NCSC is the one of the best venues I´ve been to in the UK: great sound system, beautiful main room, good DJ`s, luverly Boddington´s for a quid a pint and a great atmosphere. We´ll be back soon and bring some more swedish soulies with us.

KTF / Lars

Lars! Will deffo try to tag along with you next time...

Speak soon!

best

Leo

Yeah indeed a fine night at both the Ducie (really great boozer, no pretentions, great people,great music and great atmosphere.well done Steve Cato and Richard) and the NCS.Had a few to many (as usual) but fav tracks i remember were Pat & the Blenders "Just Because" from Mark and also (i think.."Gonna Find a True Love....Patterson twins? or Bottom & Company....certain this was played or did i dream it?) From what i remember Marks new play was a quality cut of soul (not certain if i'm allowed to name the artist, so get out to where Mr Bicknell DJ's, certain he'll let you know) plus many more that as usual i do not know, and others that escape me in the cold light of day. Mike good to finally meet you as well mate, think we touched on the old Terrible Frankie Nieves 45(the latin dancer).quick mentions to Lars & Anders, quality fellows (they have a superior grasp of the English language than i do),and my mates from home...Shane (and his wonderful lady), Johnny,Sharon and Dave.

Yeah a quality Sunday in Manchester.

Brett

Guest ShaneH

Brett, you didnt mention the biggest character of the night....your mate Darryl from Blackpool! He had some crazy stories!

Nice to bump into you again Brett. Give us a bell on 07973 137444 and we will arrange the next outing.

Off to the Union Club at Notts tomorrow.

Shane

Hi Shane, will phone you for next outings, i need a full post just dedicated to old Darryl, a real quality character of this scene ( my head is still spinning)

(Great Venue)first line everybody says,what about the music.

Oh yeah,same old thing same old way, but more expensive.

Shame.

?????

I spoke to Jo Wallace earlier this year and she recommended the place, don't understand what you're trying to say?

Ski, it's a shame you didn't seem to enjoy the nighter, can't quite see your point about the music though, i think it has an outstanding music policy, still music is subjective, one mans meat.........

"Expensive" in what respect ?..entrance fee (£12..you gotta be kidding.)

The price of the vinyl played (hell this is a rare soul scene...)

The beer........NOOOO WAYYYY.

Brett...A SATISFIED DRUNKEN RARE SOUL FAN

Hi Ski, Tell you what mate drop me an email bicknellmark@aol.com and we can sought you out a spot if you would like one that is then perhaps you could show us how it should be done.........

Often the dancefloor demands the same old same as and it's difficult to play100% obscure, unknown and ultra good quality lesser known tunes not just at the CIS Manchester gig but at all Northern Events nationwide but like i say if you can add a different vibe to the event then we would welcome it.

Funny how some people find it hard or almost impossible to praise things far easier to have a pop instead of being constructive as you are insulting not only the venue and the hard work the promoters put in but you are disrespecting the DJ's as well so basically put up or shut up the offer and invitation is there, but in the real world unless you have a remarkable collection and a talent to DJ then i suspect you will not take up are very genuine offer to play a few tunes in Manchester. Also if you had a beef or a problem with the gig, the venue or it's music policy then why did you not make your point directly on the night as we take on board all comments and try to act on it. Still better to snipe and have a go in public i guess...make you feel better does it.

Regards - Mark Bicknell New Century Soul Club.

Nothing personal Ski as you have the right to your opinion, perhaps i was a little stong in defending the gig but your very valid points have been noted.

regards Mark Bicknell

Mark i go to the ncsc most times and i like the place, price is not to dear,good mix of old and young soulies,good venue(a place to sit/chat or search through the records) but it as to be said some dj`s are playing similar sounding sets plus when people 1st come into the club fired up(still pissed)they want the big tempo big sounds,well i do,......i`ll still be at the next night though ok..............................

Thanks for your points, we really do try to get the blend and balance of music right but what DJ's play is totally out of our control as we trust them to do the buisiness, all DJ's try their best and should know how to structure a solid selection of tunes with the dance floors best interest at heart but DJ's are also there to try out new tunes and give a varried set and should not constantly play the tried and tested which i guess was Ski's original point we don't want to be a same old same as venue but we have to cater for what people desire so perhaps we need more input from our members about how their night should go and what they want in terms of the music policy, if sometimes it falls short of your exspectations then for that we are sorry, all your comments are very constructive and we take them on board.

Every effort will be made to fire up the big uptempo tunes for your entertainment and enjoyment at future CIS gig from the start.

Perhaps we need to honour and play more of your requests so we welcome your input.

Hope this answers your questions and concerns.

Regards Mark Bicknell.

Well Mark your response was not taken as personal,you stood up for your venue

which I fully expected. It is just my opinion,the point being the " MUSIC",not

the cost or size of a collection,the cheap drinks,or how grand the venue.It's a

big place to fill and it's people who make atmosphere not easy I understand.

But hey it just needs a few more to be brave and dare to empty a dance floor.Give

people a chance to here rare,60s,underplayed oldies,newies call them what

you will who may not have accsess to these sounds.

They might like them,as the song goes " You've Got To Look Ahead"

This is a Forum not a chat line 'yeah'. So it was'nt a snipe but a a worry,

"Money Rules" that's why I said shame.

I say don't just 'Keep The Faith' Share it.Good Luck

Guest Chris Waterman

(Great Venue)first line everybody says,what about the music.

Oh yeah,same old thing same old way, but more expensive.

Shame.

Ski

please find a list of DJ's who have played so far at NCS Manchester since Dec 2003

Mark Bicknell, Carl Willingham, Steve Thomas, Kev Murphy, Dave Evison, Brian Rae, Karl Rhodes, Gary Cope, Kiddo, Tim Brown, Mick H, Dave Rimmer, Jo Wallace, Robbo, Russ Winstanley, Steve Whittle, Nige Shaw, Cookie, Gary Belcher, Simon Ingram, Jim Hargreaves, Pete Haigh, Andy Lett, Dave Rippoles, Tony Dawber, Chull Carl Sharples. Tony Shawcross, Dave Thorley, Dean Anderson, Les Hare, Chris Churm, Little Scotty, Mick Bennett, Kenny Hickman, Andy Dyson, Pat Brady,Guy Hennigan, Jumpin Joan, John Parker, Ady Crosdell, Sean Chapman, Blue Max, John Pugh and Mark Freeman.

Future Dj's Butch, Roger Banks, Steve Csordas, Colin Kidson, Richie Andrew, Dave Raistrick, Dave Malloy, Eddie Engles and Keith Money.

"Same old Same old"

Don't think so

enough said

Chris Waterman

Ski, Respect mate I take all your points on board my friend and your comments are very true, but it ain't that easy to play or break new tunes on the scene today as it was back during the Stafford period when there were a handfull of diehards keeping the scene going, now it's far more mainstream and possibly bigger in terms of the amount of venues on offer and the number of people who attend.

I have many good little cheap and not so cheap little gems and semi knowns i would love to play but it takes time, the scene is so very retro and nostalgia based that many people just wanna hear the top tunes and basically oldies.

We have had several different DJ's on and intend to book many others in hope that we will get the blend right for the majority of the nights.

Lastly Ski it's not my venue although i do play a major part in the booking of the guest DJ's and help Chris and Lee the promoters all i can as they are decent blokes and run a superb event which remember has only been running since December last year, so we are trying to improve all the time so your comments do help both negatives and posative feedback is most welcome........... Mr Rimmer see you at the Bar Saturday night Cleethorpes me and Coxy out for a mess about and loads of beer...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Felt I had to add my tuppence worth...I dont want to offend or upset anyone, however....

I have attended all the nighters at the CIS (except one) when I was away on hols!

I have enjoyed every one of em, although I can see the very valid points of view of Mark, Ski and Chris.

But hey it just needs a few more to be brave and dare to empty a dance floor.Give

people a chance to here rare,60s,underplayed oldies,newies call them what

you will who may not have accsess to these sounds. SKI

(Ski), a very valid point and I applaud you for your comments, I am a right moaning bastard (I admit it) regarding the overplayed or play safe oldies, so its refreshing to hear your views, I might add that I am often hearing similar comments at other venues regarding the wishes of paying customers to hear semi known and lesser played sounds, gone are the days of non stop oldies, even the oldies fans are sick of em from what I can hear....

dancefloor demands the same old same as and it's difficult to play100% obscure, unknown and ultra good quality lesser known tunes not just at the CIS Manchester gig but at all Northern Events nationwide (Mark)

(Mark) I think its about getting the balance right, a bit of tweaking and prompting or for-warning the DJ's may help. I know from personal experience that when I go and ask a DJ to play something, if he/she hasnt got a copy (or at least not with him/her) I always have a few tunes as stand-bys that I might want to hear, if he/she hasnt got any of these, it can be a bit of a pisser, they are not that obscure.!

but it as to be said some dj`s are playing similar sounding sets (Guest)

(Guest) This is so true, play safe etc, I dont want to pay money into a venue and hear the same track 3 or 4 and sometimes 5 times in one night! My answer to this is that all DJ's who are booked to appear at a venue should be there at the beggining of the night, so they are aware of what has been played so far that night!

all DJ's try their best and should know how to structure a solid selection of tunes with the dance floors best interest at heart but DJ's are also there to try out new tunes and give a varried set and should not constantly play the tried and tested Mark see above....

The CIS has had some terrific DJs on since it began last December, I dont want to cause offence to anyone of em, but please DJs try and take a few lesser known or underplayed oldies along with you just in case you might get asked for them!!

(This applies to several other events too)

Like I said before, I dont want to cause offence, its just some feedback for all promoters to consider for the future

regards

Paul

Ski,

Did you miss this bit of Mark's post ?

Dave,

Hope you were being a bit ironic ??if not, let me get this straight. To make a comment or judge on anything, then you have to want to, or have the records to, DJ??

Ski's initial comment appeared a bit curt, but he did later qualify it. I know the northern scene is going a bit barking these days but to equate freedom of speech with wanting to get behind the decks is Shaun Ryder land. I know dozens of blokes who have neither the wherewithal or wish to bust a needle on the dust map, but to gag em and sit them in the corner is like listening to UKIP.

lets have a reality check eh

Scotty

Soul 45's - As with Ski's comments respect to you mate for your very well thought out comments regarding this topic.

I/we totally agree with you regarding the playing of the same tunes 3,4,5 times in the same night and it has been pointed out to us recently, now there is simply no excuse for this and in the perfect world all DJ's should be present from start to finish and listen to the night, however some travel a long distance or do another gig before the allnighter and arrive at differnt times, then if they wheel and deal records they are in the record area and away from the main room so there are valid reasons for the repeat of records but as i say there is no excuse for this.

This happens at many venues and i don't really have an answer perhaps one way is for all the DJ's to log their records played throughout the session basically listing everything which the next DJ can check but would this work when a DJ is trying his or her best to work the dance floor and it only needs one or two DJ's to miss a tune or two then the whole idea would be pointless.

Regarding the playing of new different semi knowns or otherwise then again that is up to the DJ's and of course for the dance floor to give them a chance to develop and move forward.

We will try and improve and look at all the points raised as we value your input to try and make the NCSC events the best possible soulful night out in the country, we are going in the right direction and must certainly rate as one of the best Allnighters in the country already and we are only a baby compared to other venues.

Keep It Real - mark Bicknell.