The K.g.b In Sheffield

1) The Place-'Don't Put Chewing Gum On The Floor' signs...

2) The People-Terry Samson,the promoter....a real gent

3) One Tune-'l'm Not Built That Way-The Hesitations :thumbsup:

Et Vous?

Social source share

Guest martyn

3) One Tune-'l'm Not Built That Way-The Hesitations :yes:

Et Vous?

1) The Place- Next to a dairy , milk for the morning sorted :yes: .The springiest dance floor ever with condensation in almost Wigan like proporsions

2) The People - A very amiable crowd if I remember right , even Mr Samson forgave my spewing in the urinal while he was having a piss causing the ensuing tidal wave to splash his Hush Puppies .Fair play sir ! :D

3) One Tune - Jetsons & Tangeers - The Dance of Love

Social source share

Guest martyn

Thank you for the reply,martyn,l was begining to think it had all been a dream... :yes:

Do you remember Terrys Perm??

And Yes the dance-floor was rather springy.. :yes:

Yep , I remember his perm well , OK OK OKEH !!! :D

Social source share

I didn't care for it but I didn't care for coalville tiffs either.

I bought otis smith 'let her go' there off nev wherry who was a very nice guy.

I left my new caramel bomber jacket there and had to go back for it,

making me miss the train, causing my girlfriend to be quite dischuffed.

I didn't get blocked but my girlfriend did and the train journey home wasn't

very pleasant as a consequence 'cos I wanted to point things out and

discuss them in depth.

Social source share

Thank you for the reply,martyn,l was begining to think it had all been a dream... :yes:

Do you remember Terrys Perm??

And Yes the dance-floor was rather springy.. :thumbsup:

Despite it looking permed , Terry's hair was natural ........

Malc

Social source share

Hi Webby,I remember the KGB with fond memories,the amazing guys who could shuffle\stomp to such as Delegates of soul-I'll come running back,and Ithink it was ketty lesters-show me was on (fast version) anyway if you stood at the bottom end and looked towards the dj's in the nearly everbody was down on the floor doing the splits or something,then they would all get back up at the same time,used to make me laugh,also guys building human pyramids on the dance floor-thought Terry was a nice guy too.but have to agree the sound was Jettsons&Tangeers Dance of love.

BRILLIANT wish we could turn back the clock KTF Gigs

Social source share

Remember many times that they had problems with the sound system, but as you say Malc it kept on goin,

one night Pat Brady was on and the amp fizzled out, within 2 minutes another one was plugged in and off we went again,

always spares to hand,

Good old Terry. :lol:

Condensation :) Never known a place like it.

Social source share

Remember many times that they had problems with the sound system, but as you say Malc it kept on goin,

one night Pat Brady was on and the amp fizzled out, within 2 minutes another one was plugged in and off we went again,

always spares to hand,

Good old Terry. thumbsup.gif

Condensation :wave: Never known a place like it.

I remember that night well , for we wound Pat up tighter than a Bavarian clock spring regarding the knacked amp .

I think the night was Pat's second or third appearance working for Terry : When it failed , we said to him " what the f**k have you done ? " and told him that Terry expected the DJ who was on at the time when any of the equipment failed to pay for it , as he considered it to be their / the DJs fault , and would take it out of their wages .

Pat's face was a picture , and his response even better . All he kept saying was " I didn't do it " , " I have done f**k all " and

" I can't - I have got records to buy " .............. until he clicked we were taking the piss , and the air went blue with his language :D

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I remember that night well , for we wound Pat up tighter than a Bavarian clock spring regarding the knacked amp .

I think the night was Pat's second or third appearance working for Terry : When it failed , we said to him " what the f**k have you done ? " and told him that Terry expected the DJ who was on at the time when any of the equipment failed to pay for it , as he considered it to be their / the DJs fault , and would take it out of their wages .

Pat's face was a picture , and his response even better . All he kept saying was " I didn't do it " , " I have done f**k all " and

" I can't - I have got records to buy " .............. until he clicked we were taking the piss , and the air went blue with his language biggrin.gif

Malc

Had some great memories and great nights, sadly all the pics I ever took ended up with the ex missus,

but not as big a loss as the vinyl. :wave::D:(

Social source share

Can't remember much about the venue but do remember buying my Eddie Spencer-If This Is Love Arc £3 there.Also thumbing it from Hull & jumping on a local bus & a young Roger Banks been on it :wave:

Cheers

Martyn

You must have been mistaken Martyn - Roger Banks was never young laugh.gif

Malc

Social source share

Malc

He's always been really old Roger Banks to me as he's about 6 months older then me..........but we won't mention how much younger we are then you :wave:

Cheers

Martyn

laugh.gif

Malc

Social source share

Guest martyn

Can't remember much about the venue but do remember buying my Eddie Spencer-If This Is Love Arc £3 there.Also thumbing it from Hull & jumping on a local bus & a young Roger Banks been on it :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Where was the record dealing area ? I can't remember ever buying a record at The KGB so presumably I never found it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Where was the record dealing area ? I can't remember ever buying a record at The KGB so presumably I never found it :thumbsup:

As far as I can recall Martyn , buying and selling was done in the soft drinks bar / food area .

Malc

Social source share

Guest martyn

As far as I can recall Martyn , buying and selling was done in the soft drinks bar / food area .

Malc

.................................Which I can't remember either :thumbsup: .All I remember is the stairs down & the dancefloor to be honest , oh & the toilets where I soiled Terry's shoes of course .

:thumbsup:

Social source share

.................................Which I can't remember either :thumbsup: .All I remember is the stairs down & the dancefloor to be honest , oh & the toilets where I soiled Terry's shoes of course .

It is a good job that Hampsey is on his way back from the States , because if he had seen your statement Martyn , he would have replied with a very smutty double entendre :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

Record sales were at the bottom of the stairs, just before the ballroom entrance, :thumbsup:

just enough room for a couple of tables. :thumbsup:

was a squeeze. :yes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest martyn

It is a good job that Hampsey is on his way back from the States , because if he had seen your statement Martyn , he would have replied with a very smutty double entendre :thumbsup:

Malc

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Record sales were at the bottom of the stairs, just before the ballroom entrance, :thumbsup:

just enough room for a couple of tables. :thumbsup:

was a squeeze. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: remember coming down the stairs & turning left into the ballroom , must have looked through boxes there - I always did !

Social source share

Martyn

It was from a lad just walking about with a 50 box?

All I can remember about the place was walking down some stairs into the main room & a low ceiling????

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

It's coming back to you now, :yes:

some sales done in room where drinks were served, 50 type boxes only. :yes:

Thank you for the confirmation Tony .

I peddled my wares in the " cafe " area , usually taking either one large box or two / three small boxes .

Malc

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

3) One Tune-'l'm Not Built That Way-The Hesitations :D

Et Vous?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Phil - Remember getting to the KGB - for a MOTOWN only night which seemed a

good idea at the time - another problem we had no red bull - so decisded to buy a

bottle of pro plus between 4 of us - after taking 12 tabs each we entered to see

everyone off there necks no red bull any where - pro plus made us ill, theres only so

many times you can hear This Old Heart of Mine before you go mad Ahhhhh - steep

stairs going down - mirrors everywhere no where to sit and everyone looking at you -

O yea and 5 - 13 year old kids who were off there necks and danced and chewed there

balls off all night lucky sods - Love it later

Social source share

• 1 month later...

How come nobody can remember his road runner DJ booth with the rotating roadrunners Bub used to love it

It has probably never been mentioned Dean , for fear of people thinking someone was extracting a very large quantity of urine , or the result of fractured recall caused by the over indulgence of anabolic smarties :thumbsup:

With regard to the DJ booth at Terry Sampson promotion - can you remember Terry's message to the troops that was on the decks ?

" In an hour you can play 20 records - make them 20 of your best "

Sound - no pun intended - advice from a very astute man , as it always ensured the DJs behind the decks stepped up their game .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

3) One Tune-'l'm Not Built That Way-The Hesitations :hatsoff2:

Et Vous?

All I can remember is the short drunken-ride in the back of a Ford Transit from Shirebrook - we'd usually 'warmed up' in the back room of the Great Northern Hotel - and going down some stairs into what seemed like an underground cavern

The people - was there not one unholy row with a bunch of skinheads there once (late, late 70s, early 80s???).

Remember Donnie Elbert's 'Get Ready' being a big, big oldie - and the Tangeers 'What's the use of me trying' getting some serious turntable action.

Oh, and that it is the only place that is on a par with the Tempodrom in Berlin for dripping condensation.

Social source share

All I can remember is the short drunken-ride in the back of a Ford Transit from Shirebrook - we'd usually 'warmed up' in the back room of the Great Northern Hotel - and going down some stairs into what seemed like an underground cavern

The people - was there not one unholy row with a bunch of skinheads there once (late, late 70s, early 80s???).

Remember Donnie Elbert's 'Get Ready' being a big, big oldie - and the Tangeers 'What's the use of me trying' getting some serious turntable action.

Oh, and that it is the only place that is on a par with the Tempodrom in Berlin for dripping condensation.

Strange , but true .......

Over the period of time when the all - nighters were run at The KGB , the condensation that ran down the walls ( caused by the heat from too many bodies and lack of sufficient ventilation ) , warped the wooden carpet grippers under the carpet in various places , therefore lifting it up , which meant the replacement of them .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Malc,don't you mean 'Boring But True' :rolleyes:

I also posted this fact in the " Boring Crap You Remember About Old Venues " thread , so it is both boring AND true :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Soul Shelley

Et Vous?

Remember having my new long leather coat nicked saved ages for that. Condensation and oh having my first gear(not mention that maybe) Got the coat back Someone I know found out who took it and sorted it didnt ask how . Rest is history. :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

Wigan cleethorpes, Coalville, 100 club, Samanthas on and on anyone bored yet lol,

Social source share

Guest Soul Shelley

Was it someone from Leicester??

No dont think so but there were a lot of coats gettin stolen at other venues at the time.

Johnny Wright got it back for me he did quite a bit of dj in around that time.!! HEARD IT WAS SOMEONE FROM NOTTS. area wether that was true or not i'll never know. Cant judge everyone from that incident though have some great mates from that area.

Social source share

3) One Tune-'l'm Not Built That Way-The Hesitations :ohmy:

Et Vous?

:lol: HI ALL THE KGB CLUB WAS ANOTHER OF THOSE SHORT LIVED ALL NIGHTERS, WERE I OFF LOADED STRYCHNINE LACED AMFET TABLETS THAT I COULD NOT STOP TAKING WHICH UPSET A FEW PEOPLE ADY & MICK IN PARTICULAR, A GOOD FRIEND NEV WHERRY RIP USED TO BY RARE UK SOUL OF ME FOR BIG DOSH, I REMEMBER GETTING HIM THE NEW MOTOWN LABEL DEMOS, I THINK HE WAS THE 1ST TO HAVE A COMPLETE SET,

THE KGB WAS AN EXCELLENT ALLNIGHTER RUN BY PEOPLE THAT WERE A MILLION MILE AWAY FROM THE WIGAN MANAGEMENT, HOWEVER IT DID NOT COME CLOSE TO SOUL-FULL SAM'S AND RANKING JOHNNY VINCENT, WITH HIS SECRET SOUND THE ZENITH BAND,ALSO THE MAGICIAN THAT HE COVERED UP AS??? I FORGOT ph34r.gif DAVE

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Hope this isn't off topic but whilst I don't think I went to the KGB club, I do remember going to a nighter a few times in Sheffield (once when it was closed but thats another story) sometime around 1977-78 which I remember as being some sort of sports hall?? You went down some stairs to the loos - my memory has gone! Can anyone else remember this place?

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Samantha's???

maybe ..... I remember a load of us going from Bradford and it was closed, not the best of nights, stuck in Sheffield in the 70s with nowhere to go!

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Maybe you could have gone to 'The Hole In The Road' :ohmy:

well we ended up in the bus station and someone (who shall remain nameless) robbed all the cigarette and chocolate machines full of Embassy No 10 and No 6 and the best choc ever Nestles Choc Crisp (if my memory serves me well), smoked all night and never did eat the chocolate!!

Social source share

Guest roggert

Et Vous?

the white wall covering on the outside of the building that made your clothes scruffy when you leaned on them the sloping path round the side to the entrance and car park and the rattling of the milk trolleys going on their roundsabout 4 a.m from the depot about a 100yards away,the furnace blast of steamed sweat and fags as you went back in down the stais after cooling off outside for an eternity causing the blood rush to increase especially if YOUR record played!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!