Guest dancedancedance

• Replies 34
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest chorleybloke

Did you or do you practice or do any training? If so what and did you admit to it?

Wouldn't really call it practice but yes I admit to dancing on the carpet in my socks in front of the bedroom mirror as a teenager.:ohmy:

Pete

Social source share

Absolutely.... Used to do a kick followed by a back drop...always thought it was a top move lol....breaks me back now!!

Still try a few moves in the house.... Usually followed with a hobble back to the couch.

the only back drop u did was against the mini mind u that car could spin

melv

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Everyone practiced/practices and anyone who says they didn't is liar laugh.gif

I never did acro, i think it was kind of going out of fashion when i got into northern, i just rely on footwork and skill :thumbsup:

I always wish i'd learned to spin though, no idea how that's done.... someone teach me? :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dancedancedance

I never did acro, i think it was kind of going out of fashion when i got into northern, i just rely on footwork and skill :thumbsup:

I always wish i'd learned to spin though, no idea how that's done.... someone teach me? :D

Spinning? Thats easy, you have a few drinks wait for your head to start spinning then go round in the opposite direction... its the only way to stay upright. :thumbsup:

I've noticed there are a variety of types of spins. Girlies tend to do a two footed thing where one foot pushes them round throughout the spin. Men tend to do a more complete spin sometimes broken at the centre of each turn sometimes not. Sometimes on one foot, sometimes two feet together, sometimes weight in the heels and sometimes in the toes. Not to mention spins close to the floor and a variety of leg and arm positions. Best to do what you feel the music wants you to do and practice lots!

A good way to start is to stand with your feet hip distance apart. Stand tall with your abdominals pulled in. In one quick move bring your feet together and do one full turn bringing your arms in to your chest and then push them out on completion. Make sure your body remains tall and upright throughout. Once you have mastered that you can play around with different spins.

Edited by dancedancedance
Social source share

Everyone practiced/practices and anyone who says they didn't is liar :thumbsup:

I always wish i'd learned to spin though, no idea how that's done.... someone teach me? :yes:

nah not everyone ,i didnt :lol: . and i aint a liar .but im going back 30 somthing years . you just got on the dance floor and moved your feet after watching someone you liked :lol:

spin's just take a little bit o bottle at first, , and a lot of balance hope for the best then ask did it look right ,after that you you know yourself if it felt right or not , hypo.gif

give yorself a lot of room and stay away from windows ect' lol small children and pet's :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

nah not everyone ,i didnt no.gif . and i aint a liar .but im going back 30 somthing years . you just got on the dance floor and moved your feet after watching someone you liked :thumbsup:

You're right, if you dance a lot you don't need to practice, it wil just happen. I practiced at first, when i was a teenager, but now it's just natural.

I'll get spinning... Toes or heels?

I like to see spinners on heels with arms pulled into the chest. That looks good.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dancedancedance

You're right, if you dance a lot you don't need to practice, it wil just happen. I practiced at first, when i was a teenager, but now it's just natural.

Heels its more manly :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I always wish i'd learned to spin though, no idea how that's done.... someone teach me? :thumbsup:

I have never practiced anywhere outside of a venue.

Even the first time i ever danced,my mate taught me while i was on the floor at wigan.

maybe that is why i think i am a crap dancer.

I have always learned to dance just by watching other people.

Stu.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Even the first time i ever danced,my mate taught me while i was on the floor at wigan.

Stu.

We used to practice in the changing rooms at the Locarno in Brum. It was a big room with full length mirrors on the walls. Carpet on the floor though, so not ideal. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Stu.

Now ....I Do know what my mother was on about when she used to shout " what you doing up there ? " " bloody bang bang sounds lke your comng through the floor " lol . Brent

Social source share

We had a full lengh wardrobe mirror that I practiced infront of with the music on full bore,one day my Mam came home early and catched me dancing away,she shouted thats why my bloody carpets going thread'bare. :thumbsup:

Kev.

Ps, I did hear a tale of someone on here, not that long ago knocking over a Tv over whilst practicing his moves.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest marge

I burned holes in my bedroom carpet practising as a teenager, my mum still winds me up about it, but I refuse to be embarrassed about it.smile.gif

Social source share

I've just discovered I spin like a girl!

Practice all the time, but I don't think of it as practice I just like dancing!

Comrade (spins on his toes and pushes one foot round) Ladyboy Moustache

Social source share

Guest dancedancedance

I've just discovered I spin like a girl!

Practice all the time, but I don't think of it as practice I just like dancing!

Comrade (spins on his toes and pushes one foot round) Ladyboy Moustache

I'm sure you look gorgeous darling! :wicked:

Take no notice of me its just an observation I'm no expert :no:

Social source share

I can't spin, and never have been able to... it makes me giddy. But, I did try to a few years ago thinking if I kept doing it I would get used to the giddyness... I didn't and fell over in my conservatory and bashed my ear on the dwarf wall :wicked:

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

Did you or do you practice or do any training? If so what and did you admit to it?

Never practiced or trained ever, mind you when your out on the floor most weekends of the year who needs training .

Never copied anyone , always comes from the heart , the music makes my moves.

Social source share

I like to see spinners on heels with arms pulled into the chest. That looks good.

actually i find it better on the soul of the foot . you dont need to lift right up to your toes and its the safer way at least at first . its about the surface of the floor and your shoe's not sticking to it . im not so keen on throwing those dramatic shapes with the arms folded .they tend to look a bit pose'y not to mention dated . i think the northern s styl of dancing is (was) about showing off or it used to be , but without actually looking like you are doing. if that makes sense . most may not admit to that' but the old uns who got better and better probably will or might do. but these days i just like to dance and forget the posing .i think all us old uns do:D im old fasiond in some ways as i used to always get in to trouble for saying these lot cant dance n shuldnt be let lose near a dance floor ect ect .the old fasiond view i think ,anyway the music &the scene dont belong to anybody so who cares' but back then i think you did get judged more and you did get noticed if you wasant up to it. or didnt have a certain style but i think all thats changed . do what you want if it it makes you feel good who cares so long as it dont bother others thumbsup.gif one thing that dose do my head in tho is these buggers that do high kick's and f... hand stands when there aint enogh room to move let alone dance selfish beyond belief

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Never practiced or trained ever, mind you when your out on the floor most weekends of the year who needs training .

Never copied anyone , always comes from the heart , the music makes my moves.

Ditto!!

Never practiced and I've always danced my own dance and arranged it to suit the beat.

Dancing's all about enjoying yourself but if you can put a smile on someone's face, that's a bonus! :lol:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

What a simple but great way of putting what dancing is all about.:lol:

i put a smile on peoples faces when i dance..........or is it a sn*****????

Social source share

Guest son of stan

It's not some massively self conscious ritual. It's just what people do spontaneously when they hear music they like. Stop going on about it like it is an Olympic sport, or something. It's embarassing.

Social source share

Never practice for a Soul night, just like do my own thing thumbsup.gif

The only thing i do have to practice in dancing, especially if im taking a medal exam or doing a dance exibition, is my Lindy, Jitterbug, Jive, Bal Boa, Charlston Latin American & Ballroom :D ............because these dance's have many many steps :)

My partner Ian says he used to have a bit of a practice for a Soul night when he was a youngster, but not now.

Debbie x

Social source share

I'll always have a little jiggle about indoors when I buy new shoes I'm planning to wear out dancing...

But then again I'm always having a dance around indoors - especially if I'm taken by surprise by a record on the radio

Does that count as practising? :)

Social source share

Guest soul elite

You can't beat a little boogie in the kitchen to great music and a glass of wine!!:hatsoff2::lol: :lol:

Ps don't drink when i'm out or else i'll fall over:blush: :tumbleweed3:

Edited by soul elite
Social source share

Guest eaststand

I was quite fortunate as a kid, my big sister,Deb, used to go to every event in the uk, she was a good very good dancer, i used to watch her and her mates warm up at our house before going to wigan and other venues, as soon as she left the house i used to get out her quick change artist! and practice, i asked my mar to get me a pair of royals as i was going to my first alldayer at belle vue in manchester, she bought them and of i went to practice my spins, i could never master it, absolute rubbish at it, i tried to do a spin 4wks ago at denton soulnight, i took of and smacked a girl in the face and knocked her flyingof the floor. i think i am a reasonablely good dancer and i love it, i think anybody can do it, if they try hard enough!.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!