Tams - What Kind Of Fool, On Uk Probe

I have 2 copies of the Tams "What kind of fool do you think I am", on UK Probe. Both have identical labels, but they're totally different recordings. One is the original 60s version (same as the HMV release), the other sounds like a 70s remake or remix. The run-out groove numbers are different. The same differences apply to the B side too. Anyone any idea how or why these 2 versions were put out?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have 2 copies of the Tams "What kind of fool do you think I am", on UK Probe. Both have identical labels, but they're totally different recordings. One is the original 60s version (same as the HMV release), the other sounds like a 70s remake or remix. The run-out groove numbers are different. The same differences apply to the B side too. Anyone any idea how or why these 2 versions were put out?

:ohmy: Hi this record freaked me out when I first got as a release demo years ago, although not a big money record it has all the right stuff on it tempo wise! the other great thing is that both sides had the 1970s makeover, I no I gave a copy away about 16 months ago to a Soul Source mummer who lives in thee channel isle:ph34r: DAVE

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I have no idea but maybe it was something to do with trying to follow up the chart success of "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me". Sounds like they tarted it up to make it more appealing to the pop market.. I really like the second version. Is there any way of distinguishing the record of it from the one with the sparser version on it?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

I have no idea but maybe it was something to do with trying to follow up the chart success of "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me". Sounds like they tarted it up to make it more appealing to the pop market.. I really like the second version. Is there any way of distinguishing the record of it from the one with the sparser version on it?

The labels are identical, but the run-out grooves differ. The original version has "YPRO 542 A-2", the newer version has "YPRO 542 A-1"

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

:wicked: Hi All There is only 1 logical explanation, my opinion is following on from the great success of "hey girl don't bother me" the produce in the UK tried to find a suitable follow up? as EMI $taside LABEL had released the classic "be young be foolish be happy" they took the best song and removed the backing and added a new up tempo version, remember back then Rare Soul was sacred and DJs would have shon away from this Taylor made record?? OH! 2. the forgot to promote it anyway..Today this record falls in the category of "the Strange World of Rare Soul Collecting"

:no: DAVE KIL

Social source share

i think they only left abc a year or so before hey girl became a uk no 1 so theres every chance the group could have re recorded some of there classics. after all what kind of fool was the big usa hit ( no 9 in early 1964) and not hey girl dont bother me. the probe copy is probably a mistake on the uk divisions part as the wouldnt have looked at matrix or tape numbers. the tams did re record hey girl later in the 70`s for sounds south

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!