Shs August

I picked up Mr Weston at 6.00pm unsuprisingly he wasnt ready but hey ho, got in the car and he said here you go a CD specially prepared for the trip all much better R & B than you play, so my ears were assulted to 70mins of mostly unlistenable rubbish (not really only 30mins) though i had Ezzie in the car for a minute. I got my own back by making him listen at full blast to Handels Hallelujah chorus that will teach him . an easy trip unsued no hold ups they were the other side of the M25 got a bit lost finding the venue but the sights were entertaining think the most used words were "cor look at her, mind that car will yah". The Venue for those that have not been is down stairs small but comfy and air conditioned, hosts and crowd really welcoming and up for a dance, good to see a few faces i knew whilst John, Adey Croasdell and Mike Eskins proceeded to drink the place dry:lol: . The 4 guys who run the place really have got tremendous collections themselves so you have to be on the ball, any way will be back again hopefully. no problems on the way home from John but if you noticed a bit of vegitation on the side of the M40 looking a bit sorry for its self you know who to blame.

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I picked up Mr Weston at 6.00pm unsuprisingly he wasnt ready but hey ho, got in the car and he said here you go a CD specially prepared for the trip all much better R & B than you play, so my ears were assulted to 70mins of mostly unlistenable rubbish (not really only 30mins) though i had Ezzie in the car for a minute. I got my own back by making him listen at full blast to Handels Hallelujah chorus that will teach him . an easy trip unsued no hold ups they were the other side of the M25 got a bit lost finding the venue but the sights were entertaining think the most used words were "cor look at her, mind that car will yah". The Venue for those that have not been is down stairs small but comfy and air conditioned, hosts and crowd really welcoming and up for a dance, good to see a few faces i knew whilst John, Adey Croasdell and Mike Eskins proceeded to drink the place dry:lol: . The 4 guys who run the place really have got tremendous collections themselves so you have to be on the ball, any way will be back again hopefully. no problems on the way home from John but if you noticed a bit of vegitation on the side of the M40 looking a bit sorry for its self you know who to blame.

Wondered why I came back with no money , notwithstanding London prices and all that.:no:

I enjoyed my trip up to the big smoke and thanks to Des parker for driving. Some great tunes played by all the DJ's. Great to hear some new stuff as well as the tried and tested. Thanks for the Inspiratons Ted:thumbsup: Thanks to Dave and the team for your hospitality. Nice to catch up with Paul Mckay, Trickster, Adey and Ted and John. Will be Definately checking this one out again. :wicked:

Edited by Mike E

Thanks Ted for kicking the lookback off & a big thanks for coming down to Solid Hit & playing a fantastic set for us.

Well in the days leading up to Fridays Solid Hit I must admit to being fairly concerned over numbers through the door. Not only because August is always a difficult month with holidays etc but the sheer number of regulars who left messages to say sorry but can't make Friday was pretty worrying.

Des turned up early Friday with Mike Eskins (good to see you down Mike) with his normal positive attitude but I soon managed to bring him down to my depressed state when i told him how many weren't coming but a steady stream of people through the door soon cured us of that & at last I could begin to relax lol! Stuart, Des & myself shared the first hour & then Shane stepped at up 9pm to really set the benchmark for the evening with a brilliant set of rare underplayed 60s & ever the showman proceeded to give us his impression of Norman Collier ...........no it wasn't the chicken routine this time but the faulty microphone one, unfortunately this was all too much for the system & it blew up. So we had no music for 5 minutes but i still greedily took a fiver each from the queue at the door. Soon thanks to Mark (our equipment chappie) we were up & running again minus a mic unfortunately, so for those who missed us talking unintelligible nonsense apologies, we couldn't be bothered to shout. I followed Shane with a couple of decent records & then it was Des who played a typical Des Parker set of unknowns semi-knowns & a couple of knowns :lol: brilliant as always & I'm pretty sure I heard his Judy Street cover up or was it Sandi Sheldon ?

By now the place was rocking or was that just me ? too much guiness I'm afraid, great atmosphere now & step up Ted Massey. First time at Solid Hit for Ted & I've got to say a true professional, he judged the crowd perfectly with his choice of sounds & the crowd responded by ramming the dancefloor, my rubbery guiness filled legs tried on a couple of occasions but this was a night to stand back & enjoy everyone else enjoying themselves. It was suggested that I'd been seen smiling during the evening, I find that rather hard to believe unless it was at the time that the lovely Mrs Collins was caressing my naked knees. Anyway after a fantastic set from Ted it was down to Stuart to finish the night off & what a brilliant 45minutes of underplayed soul to finish the night & deservedly kept the floor full until the bar staff turned the lights up.

So despite missing a load of regulars we were still rammed with an up for it friendly crowd, many who travel a fair distance because they know at Solid Hit they'll hear something a bit different. Nice to see DiggerDave & his young lady over from Belgium, also Paul & Pat Cross from the Midlands who are becoming regular visitors & of course Mr John Weston who came down with Ted, good to see you John & again big thanks to Ted for a brilliant set. Thanks of course to all our friends old & new who turn up without fail, too many of course to mention but you are very much appreciated, after all it's you that keep Solid Hit going :yes:

Hope to see you all at next Solid Hit 8th October

All best

Dave

Guest Stuart T

Just to say many thanks to Ted for coming down and entertaining us with a set of fantastic sounds, just what the doctor ordered for us exiles.

Just a quick note to say what a great nighter SHS is. We were obviously knackered cause we got up at 4AM to travel to London and had been walking around town the whole day before reaching the Shooting Star but... the amount of great tunes I heard was mind-blowing and the atmosphere in the venue was great! Nothing but smiling faces and people slowly getting drunk and dancing.

I hope to be back soon when I'm not so wasted:D

:hatsoff2: to Dave and everyone involved in the nighter.

Guest CapitolSC

What a fantastic night, with fantastic people and fantastic tunes by all the DJ's and guest DJ Ted, thank you for playing Lou Pride :D roll on the next one :yes: sx