Sussex Soul Club August 7Th

Guest newman

Guest newman

Another night of soul came and passed in what seemed just a blink of an eye, but what a night...

We expected our numbers to be hit a little due to a number of regulars being on holiday and others inc Moldie on dj duties elsewhere, but with a guest line up of Tim Smithers, Simon Preston & Linda Seddon and the prospect of what was in their play boxes was enough to encourage a more than descent crowd, with a smattering of new faces, some of who travelled a considerable distance. :D

A big thank you to Tim, Simon and Linda for doing such a fantastic job behind the decks and playing blinding sets covering most people's tastes in soul music. :wicked::no::(

A sincere thank you to each and everyone who attended for your continued support and all your positive feedback, you are all as important as the dj's in making the "Scout Hut" such a great night we'll look forward to seeing you again on Saturday September 4th when Bournemouth Uni's Danny North and Dorset's Bob Snow with be at the helm. :lol::(:D

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

We had a great night in a great little venue with a great bunch of people, great music and atmosphere so a big well done to all involved hatsoff2.gif love the idea of bringing your own booze and we had plenty but left with none :lol:

atb

Bearsy & Marie

Guest newman

We had a great night in a great little venue with a great bunch of people, great music and atmosphere so a big well done to all involved hatsoff2.gif love the idea of bringing your own booze and we had plenty but left with none :lol:

atb

Bearsy & Marie

Hi Paul really nice to meet you last night and thanks for your kind words :lol: pleased you and Marie had a great night :yes::lol:

Well i had a great time, was able to play quite a few lesser known tunes, mixed with the odd classic and even played a couple of slowies that are my fav's, also slotted in a fair bit of crossover funk, all in all a great nite

, couple of tunes i played

My dind a ling

Telstar

all on my fender guitar to Simons Prestons set thumbsup.gif

Guest Bearsy

Well i had a great time, was able to play quite a few lesser known tunes, mixed with the odd classic and even played a couple of slowies that are my fav's, also slotted in a fair bit of crossover funk, all in all a great nite

My dind a ling

Telstar

all on my fender guitar to Simons Prestons set :yes:

can honestly say you played a blinder as Simons string man :thumbsup: you played some pretty awsome tuneage too mate :lol: and thanks for the lift it was much appreciated thumbsup.gif

Bearsy & Marie

. I've had the intention of revisiting this soul night for quite some time and, purely from a single minded point of view, I fortunately chose a night with a D.J. line-up suited to my tastes. Although I had wondered whether or not the two D.J.s of a similar ilk in Tim Smithers and Simon Preston would be acceptable to the Sussex Soul crowd.

. They both have a wide range of tastes and soul music within their expansive collections. However a large proportion of their arsenals do lean towards a wide array of deep RnB soul, which may be a little hard on the ear for the unititiated. Having been accustomed to much of their music, I have an appreciation, but do believe it's an acquired taste. Which is the very reason why the likes of Bearsy were in attendance.

. As we listened (sometimes danced) to Tim Smithers' early set which contained heavy slices of fast rare RnB soul, Bearsy commented on how he and many like minded others would really go for this during the late proceedings of certain Rare Soul All-nighters up north and in The Midlands.

. I do like portions of this music, but I'm not so sure if I could stomach long prolonged sets of it?

. Simon Preston followed on and also played chunks of RnB soul with a more tempered edge and other music. One request being a 70s record that was actually played in the 1970s, Elusive - Babe Ruth.

. Linda Seddon's only set was sandwiched in the centre and to my mind, was the most entertaining and paletable, with plenty of soul to my liking that was eminently danceable.

. Two or three I can remember being Harold Robins - I can't please you, The Platters - Sweet sweet lovin' and Bobby Freeman - I'll never fall in love again. Others that drew in a full dancefloor were The Miracles - Whole lot of shakin', Mel Torme - Comin' home baby to the smooth seductive sound of Marvin Gaye - Come get to this.

. Tim Smithers' second set broke with Bobby Patterson - Don't be so mean and a couple of other typical (totally unfamiliar) hard hitting numbers, before he tempered the tone with stuff like Garnett Mimms - Prove it to me and September Jones - I'm coming home, amongst others, before lifting it again with J.D. Ledbetter & Victoria Williams - Show me some sign, Betty Lou & Bobby Adams - Dr. Truelove, Otis Clay - Baby Jane, etc. He played a couple of really notable rareties, that I'm afraid can't be mentioned. As well as a couple of slow ones (which is out of character), before he ended with the classic oldie Sam Williams - Love slipped through my fingers.

. Simon Preston then stepped in with his friendly rivalry with Tim and called it, "Only half a record!" Following with a version by the Ohio Players. The stretched out, pleading vocals of Towanda Barnes gave the song new meaning.

. Simon went onto play lots of music to my tastes with his cover-up under the guise of Mitch Ryder, Al Robinson - Sho' bout to drive me wild, Ike & Tina Turner - ? and my favourite from the night Mighty Sam - Papa true love.

. Graham (Newman) ended the night mainly with quality 70s music in Ace Spectrum - Don't send nobody else, Gil Scott Heron - The bottle to the smooth Bobby Sheen - Something new to do and the odd oldie such as Edward Hamilton & The Arabians - Baby don't you weep or latter day established numbers like Billy Davis - Stanky get funky.

. All in all, the night was crammed with some superb soul and I'm sure many travelled home that night with sounds rattling around in their mind that hadn't been there before. The afterburn that always lives on well after a very good night of soul has finished.

. Not just the music, but the superb dancefloor was very conducive for dancing and when the proceedings had ended with our clothes sticking to our bodies through the sweat from our exertions, we (Jan & I) knew we'd had a fantastic time.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Didn't play Dr Truelove Dave and Simon didn't play Mighty Sam, i did:lol: It must be an age thing:hatsoff2:

. Yes Tim, it definitely must be an age thing. I think it's the early signs of senile dementure?

. I must apologise for mixing up the plays.

. So I actually should have credited you with my favourite play of the night, Mighty Sam - Pappa true love.

. Now that's a turn up! Yes, I definitely think you're right. I must be going senile!

. I've had the intention of revisiting this soul night for quite some time and, purely from a single minded point of view, I fortunately chose a night with a D.J. line-up suited to my tastes. Although I had wondered whether or not the two D.J.s of a similar ilk, in Tim Smithers and Simon Preston would be acceptable to the Sussex Soul crowd.

. They both have a wide range of tastes and soul music within their expansive collections. However a large proportion of their arsenals do lean towards a wide array of deep RnB soul, which may be a little hard on the ear for the unititiated. Having been accustomed to much of their music, I have an appreciation, but do believe it's an acquired taste. Which is the very reason why the likes of Bearsy were in attendance.

. As we listened (sometimes danced) to Tim Smithers' early set which contained heavy slices of fast rare RnB soul, Bearsy commented on how he and many like minded others would really go for this during the late proceedings of certain Rare Soul All-nighters up north and in The Midlands.

. I do like portions of this music, but I'm not so sure if I could stomach heavy prolonged sets of it?

. Simon Preston followed on and also played chunks of RnB soul, but with a more tempered edge and other music. One request being a 70s record that was actually played in the 1970s, Elusive - Babe Ruth.

. Linda Seddon's only set was sandwiched in the centre and to my mind, was the most entertaining and palletable, with plenty of soul to my liking that was eminently danceable.

. Two or three I can remember being Harold Robins - I can't please you, The Platters - Sweet sweet lovin' and Bobby Freeman - I'll never fall in love again. Others that drew in a full dancefloor were The Miracles - Whole lot of shakin', Mel Torme - Comin' home baby to the smooth seductive sound of Marvin Gaye - Come get to this.

. Tim Smithers' second set broke with Bobby Patterson - Don't be so mean and a couple of other typical (totally unfamiliar) hard hitting numbers, before he tempered the tone with stuff like Garnett Mimms - Prove it to me and September Jones - I'm coming home, amongst others. Before lifting it again with J.D. Ledbetter & Victoria Williams - Show me some sign, Betty Lou & Bobby Adams - Dr. Truelove, Otis Clay - Baby Jane, etc. He also included a couple of really notable rareties, that I'm afraid can't be mentioned. As well as a couple of slow ones (which is out of character), before ending with the classic oldie Sam Williams - Love slipped through my fingers.

. Simon Preston then stepped in and, in his friendly rivalry with Tim, called it, "Only half a record!" Leading off his set with a version by the Ohio Players. The stretched out, pleading vocals of Towanda Barnes gave the song new meaning.

. Simon went onto play lots of music to my tastes with his cover-up under the guise of Mitch Ryder, Al Robinson - Sho' bout to drive me wild, Ike & Tina Turner - ? and my favourite from the night Mighty Sam - Papa true love.

. Graham (Newman) ended the night mainly with quality 70s music in Ace Spectrum - Don't send nobody else, Gil Scott Heron - The bottle to the smooth Bobby Sheen - Something new to do and the odd oldie such as Edward Hamilton & The Arabians - Baby don't you weep or latter day established numbers like Billy Davis - Stanky get funky.

. All in all, the night was crammed with some superb soul and I'm sure many travelled home that night with sounds rattling around in their head that hadn't been there before. The afterburn that always lives on, well after a very good night of soul has finished.

. Not just the music, but the superb dancefloor was very conducive for dancing and when the proceedings had ended, with our clothes sticking to our bodies through the sweat from our exertions, we (Jan & I) knew we'd had a fantastic time.

. we would like to say thanks to Graham and his guests for giving us the music.

. We'd also like to sat thanks to Jan, Johnny Field's good lady, for providing us with water to feed our dehydrated bodies after we'd run out of fluid refreshments. It kept us going and yes Jan, we do owe you one!

. My only gripe was as ever with the predictably unpredictable Tim Smithers. Promises! Promises! Promises! He didn't play his cover-up of Benita Cruz - Can't you see on the Red Herring label (Yeah! Right!)

. May I get to hear it again, hey Tim? Like sometime during this decade?

Thanks for the comments from Dave about my set, really appreciated, nothing I can add accept that I really enjoyed playing my set and on occasions I danced to them too!!

A really good night as always at Sussex Soul one of my fave venues in the South East!!

Linda

any chance of your playlist linda..i promise not to steal any of them

moldie

Guest newman

My dind a ling

Telstar

all on my fender guitar to Simons Prestons set :(

Glad you enjoyed the night Tim :D it was a plesure to have you dj for us :D... you, Simon and Linda played blinding sets :yes:

Both on the night and since we've had nothing but positive comments :ohmy::thumbup::(

Hmmm ok I will post my list tomorrow sometime..............:thumbsup:

Errr better late than never here is my playlist

From The Teacher To The Preacher - Gene Chandler & Barbara Acklin

That Driving Beat - Willie Mitchell

Don't Pretend - The Belles

In Orbit - Joy Lovejoy

If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be lonely) - The Precisions

The Pain Gets A Little Bit Deeper - Darrow Fletcher

Willie Mitchell - The Champion Part 1

Comin' Home Baby - Mel Torme

A Little Bit Hurt - Julien Covey

Bobby Freeman - I'll Never Fall In Love Again

Gotta Have Your Love - The Sapphires

Let's Go Baby - Robert Parker

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait - Chuck Jackson

Tune Up - Jr. Walker & The All Stars

Sweet Sweet Lovin' - The Platters

The Shotgun & The Duck - Jackie Lee

I'll Hold You - Frankie & Johnny

If I Could Only Be Sure - Nolan Porter

Movin' On A Groove - Barbara Lynn

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This

Don Covay - It's Better To Have

I Can't Please You - Jimmy Robins

A Lil' Lovin' Sometimes - Alexander Patton

The End Of Our Love - Nancy Wilson

Love Makes A Woman - Barbara Acklin

Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby - Isley Brothers

Just Because (Instr) - Pat & The Blenders

In Orbit - Joy Lovejoy

thanks for posting linda...a nice mix of tunes there

regards moldie

Guest newman

In Orbit - Joy Lovejoy

Excellent list Linda :lol: went down really well on the night, had some great feed back :)

Guest newman

cheers graham...look fwd to it

moldie

My playlist for the evening... better late than never :thumbsup:

7:30 - 8:00

Somebody Is Always Messing Up A Good Thing - Honey Cone

I'm Just In Love - Mac Davis

Am I Cold, Am I Hot - Bill Harris

Take Me Girl I'm Ready - Eric Mercury

Try My Lovin' On you - The Clovers

Over The Top - Roy Dawson

Some Kind Of Wonderful - Soul Brothers Six