News: Hype & Soul - Behind The Scenes At Motown - Al Abrams (Forthcoming Soulvation Book)

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I am pleased to announce that later this year Soulvation will be publishing a book

HYPE & SOUL - BEHIND THE SCENES AT MOTOWN

BY AL ABRAMS

Al started working for Berry Gordy in 1959 when he was 18, and was the very first employee for what became the Motown empire.

By the time he left in 1966, Al had become Hitsville's legendary PR director with such a high profile that in some circles he was known as "The Fifth Supreme".

The book tells - via essays by Al and interviews by me with him - the ultimate behind the scenes story of Motown.

That's only a part of it.. Al has for the first time opened his archives and supplied his complete set of press releases he did for Motown, an incredible collection of never before seen photos and piles of documents from his time at the label. Glenn Gunton is putting together the graphics, and to everyone who was kind enough to say they liked his artwork on "Northern Soul Stories" ..well you ain't seen nothing yet.

Bill Baker and myself were lucky enough to spend some time with Al in February at a Motown symposium in Ann Arbor and we were left stunned listening to Al's minblowing recollections. Sitting in a bar hearing Al and his pal Robert Bateman in full flow was surreal.

As Berry's first ever employee Al was there from the start ,and has the complete lowdown on the what, where's and why's of Hitsville USA.

After talking and listening to Al and other Motown veterans at the symposium I had a completely differrent perspective on what the label had to deal with it and what it achieved. The book will tell the real story.

To give a flavour of the book I have attached a file containing Al's intro piece. Makes you feel like you were there doesn't it?

All the Best,

Neil

I want one

do you need a poem? wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Fabulous stuff Neil, this is the real deal for me, i've always been a vociferous reader of music led books and when it's soul related then my lips moisten, i've searched high and low and read many a good industry led publication, and this project certainly excites my literary passion. Hats off and bring it on.

Brett

Social source share

THE CREAM'S RISING TO THE TOP NOW!, AS WE ALL GET OLDER, WE MATURE LIKE FINE WINE AND NEIL, YOU ARE PRODUCING SUCH VINTAGE QUALITY THAT JUST BEGS TO BE BOUGHT AND READ. ON TOP OF WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY PRODUCED, WE'VE BEEN BLESSED THIS YEAR WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF AMAZING PUBLICATIONS THAT JUST SO HAPPEN TO DIVERT THE ATTENTION LONG ENOUGH FROM THE ETERNAL PAST-TIME OF COLLECTING THE SHINY BLACK DISCS THAT THESE TOMES PAY HOMAGE TO.

WELL DONE BROTHER!:lol:

ROB.H

Social source share

Here is front cover.

Photo taken from the infamous "March On Motown" demanding Tommy Good got a record released.

The whole thing was a publicity scam invented by Al.

Berry Gordy's sister, Esther Edwards, gave permission for Al to organise it, but with the proviso that if publicity about "the white folk marching on Motown" caused problems for the company , Al would get the sack!

post-8974-075999400 1281569890_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Here is front cover.

Photo taken from the infamous "March On Motown" demanding Tommy Good got a record released.

The whole thing was a publicity scam invented by Al.

Berry Gordy's sister, Esther Edwards, gave permission for Al to organise it, but with the proviso that if publicity about "the white folk marching on Motown" caused problems for the company , Al would get the sack!

DO I NEED THIS BOOK ? ( INDEED I DO)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Al has been sending over incredible essays covering his early days of Motown to be included in his book.

They are absolutely electrifying.

I have never read anything as complelling and exciting about that era.

Am honoured to be publishing this book. This isn't me trying to hype things up, just telling it the way it is.

Neil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!