The Return Of Queen Mary Ballroom, Dudley Zoo - Soul Music Is Coming Home

Am delighted to be able to say that Soulvation has arranged to bring Soul nights back to one of the West Midlands most iconic Soul venues - Queen Mary Ballroom in the middle of Dudley Zoo. Date to be announced.

The Ballroom has been given a refurb, and looks better than ever.

Cuddles the killer whale is no longer part of the attractions (everyone who attended that mad All-Dayer in October 1974 will know what I am on about) at the Queen Mary, but everything else in place.And it's still the same dancefloor.

Car parking will be in the grounds Dudley Castle on top of the Zoo, the Castle has been used for concerts in recent years, got to be the most scenic car park for any Soul venue anywhere.

Soul Music Is coming home to one of the venues that started it all.

Neil

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Will confirm the date next week - just sorting out some details.

The venue looks better than ever, not bad considering it opened on Bank Holiday Monday, May 18, 1937 when the first day attendance at the zoo was officially recorded as 50,445 - and approximately the same amount of people had to be turned away. (I thought we did well with the 700 or so for the All-Dayer in 1974, but 50,445 is something else).

The stage has now gone, which when you are inside makes you more aware than before that the Ballroom is shaped like the bow of a liner, ie The Queen Mary.

There will be 1 event this year and 4 to 5 next year.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

Wow now theres a memory Jerker!! thumbsup.gif

I remember Carl Dene during his Sunday residency at the Queen Mary playing "Soul Self Satisfaction" - Earl Jackson , a long time before it was played at the all-nighters.

And "Come On Train" - Don Thomas got what I am sure was its' first UK plays at that 1974 All-Dayer, courtesy of Pep.

Dave McAleer visited the Queen Mary during our (brilliant)Tuesday night sessions at the QM just before the release of "Footsee" and decided he wanted dancers at the venue (Jethro and co) to go down to to dance to "Footsee" on Top Of The Pops...not exactly credible these days, but at the time we were all quite excited!

Like you say Nige - a memory jerker of a venue!

Neil

Social source share

I remember Carl Dene during his Sunday residency at the Queen Mary playing "Soul Self Satisfaction" - Earl Jackson , a long time before it was played at the all-nighters.

And "Come On Train" - Don Thomas got what I am sure was its' first UK plays at that 1974 All-Dayer, courtesy of Pep.

Dave McAleer visited the Queen Mary during our (brilliant)Tuesday night sessions at the QM just before the release of "Footsee" and decided he wanted dancers at the venue (Jethro and co) to go down to to dance to "Footsee" on Top Of The Pops...not exactly credible these days, but at the time we were all quite excited!

Like you say Nige - a memory jerker of a venue!

Neil

If my memory serves me right Neil , was not " The Zoo " by The Commodores given its' first UK outing at that all dayer ?

I have got the Blues & Soul with the advert for the all dayer in somewhere : I will seek it out and post it up .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

If my memory serves me right Neil , was not " The Zoo " by The Commodores given its' first UK outing at that all dayer ?

I have got the Blues & Soul with the advert for the all dayer in somewhere : I will seek it out and post it up .

Malc

I think "The Zoo" was already a Tuesday night favourite before the All-Dayer.

Other big Queen Mary Records -

So Sweet, So Satisfying - Bobby Treetop (Max's old copy from The Catacombs)

Hold On, Help Is On The Way - G.Davis & R.Tyler

It's A Woman's World - The Gypsies

I'm Losing You - Kenny Ballard

I'm Shaft(You Ain't Shaft) - R..B.Freeman

Neil

Social source share

Below is taken from "NORTHERN SOUL STORIES" - Steve Powell looking back at that All-Dayer, and ads for it.

I can remember that day like it was yesterday, Bill Baker and myself were not sure if anyone would turn up, but those fears were allayed when we turned up at 11.30am to find a coach from Burnley parked outside the Queen Mary. We broke all attedance records for the venue that day, the manageress had a blue fit when she turned up in the evening to find the place absolutely rammed. Mind you, she didn't moan about the bar takings!

Neil

post-8974-072078100 1281776222_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I think "The Zoo" was already a Tuesday night favourite before the All-Dayer.

Other big Queen Mary Records -

So Sweet, So Satisfying - Bobby Treetop (Max's old copy from The Catacombs)

Hold On, Help Is On The Way - G.Davis & R.Tyler

It's A Woman's World - The Gypsies

I'm Losing You - Kenny Ballard

I'm Shaft(You Ain't Shaft) - R..B.Freeman

Just to get a few grey cells movin'

The R.B. Freeman Band - I'm Shaft (You Ain't Shaft) Inst -

The R.B. Freeman Band - I'm Shaft (You Ain't Shaft) -

Social source share

Am delighted to be able to say that Soulvation has arranged to bring Soul nights back to one of the West Midlands most iconic Soul venues - Queen Mary Ballroom in the middle of Dudley Zoo. Date to be announced.

Cuddles the killer whale is no longer part of the attractions (everyone who attended that mad All-Dayer in October 1974 will know what I am on about) at the Queen Mary, but everything else in place.And it's still the same dancefloor.

Car parking will be in the grounds Dudley Castle on top of the Zoo, the Castle has been used for concerts in recent years, got to be the most scenic car park for any Soul venue anywhere.

Neil

:lol: NEIL WELL DONE MATE EVEN I CAN MAKE THIS EVENT? I REALY HOPE IT'S NOT A ONE OFF? DUE TO MY HEALTH, I REALY SHOULD GET OUT MORE!!!:yes: DAVE

PS HOW ARE YOU DAVE?

Social source share

One that sticks in my mind was when the late Phil Shelton liberated some ice creams from the freezer inside QMB, and he did an impromptu dance contest, or more accurately he just walked around the dance floor congratualting people and handing out prizes of various ice creams to the sweating dancers. Funniest was the folk who didn't know him, and said they didn't realise they'd entered the competition !

Happy Days !!

Also I seem to remember ( not neccesarily the same event, but deffo QMB) the bar being drunk dry of most beers, and having to drink something bottled called Amber? was it something to do with Newcastle Brown, just a pale imitation or something ?????

Social source share

Me and woody have some fond memories of the ballroom, Rock Candy, I remember I bought one for woody at the time a demo, off Pep,I used to spent my pay check on records , even though they where not for me at the time,:lol:we got locked in, and had to climb a fence, to get out, at one of the soul nites, it seems not that long ago, when I think about it, but my god its been years, have you got any pictures Neil, would be fab to see what its like now, yes , we will be there, cant wait:thumbsup:

and I remember Willy...:hatsoff2:

Social source share

[Am delighted to be able to say that Soulvation has arranged to bring Soul nights back to one of the West Midlands most iconic Soul venues - Queen Mary Ballroom in the middle of Dudley Zoo. Date to be announced.

I was too young to go in 1974 however i do remember going about 12 years ago and met a lot of the nice peeps from around there. My main recollection was trying to avoid the collumns around the dancefloor and during the swine flu period having to have the car discinfected on the way in.................... not to mention we got lost and ended up by the lion enclosure - very spooky at night!!!

Doris/Sue

Social source share

i seen jj barnes live in dudley about 20 odd years ago,was it the qmb ?

No that was the club that was to the left of the Zoo entrance as you stand looking at it. It was called Bentleys in those days (No idea what it is now), and it was in 1994. That was back in the day when I was still involved in promoting venues, along with these guys John Weston, Mick Nold, Bill Randle, Ted Massey, and Dave Allen, from Birmingham, and Brian Fradgeley from Wolverhampton.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No that was the club that was to the left of the Zoo entrance as you stand looking at it. It was called Bentleys in those days (No idea what it is now), and it was in 1994. That was back in the day when I was still involved in promoting venues, along with these guys John Weston, Mick Nold, Bill Randle, Ted Massey, and Dave Allen, from Birmingham, and Brian Fradgeley from Wolverhampton.

yeh that was it twas a great nite, coming back to me now,thought for some reason it was called samanthas ?

Social source share

Its was a great Night ..with JJ in Dudley , looking forward to the queen mary ..good luck Neil :lol:

Social source share

Neil

sounds great will keep eye out for more information and updates!! Atb John. :D:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!