Whats The Best Weekender You Have Attended And Why?

Mrtag

WHAT'S THE BEST WEEKENDER YOU HAVE EVER BEEN TO? I GUESS THE TOGETHERNESS WEEKENDER AT FLEETWOOD WITH FRANK WILSON HAS TO RATE AS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES I HAVE NEVER HEARD SO MUCH NOISE AS THAT NIGHT WHEN EVERYONE JOINED IN UNBELIEVABLE! ALSO PRESTATYN WITH BENNY TROY(WHAT A VOICE) AND THE VOLUMES AKA THE MAGNETICS SOMETHING ELSE! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Prestatyn for the live acts but without doubt the old Great Yarmouth weekenders for the sheer madness of it all.

Great days indeed!!

never went to yarmouth(dont think I had sat nav then) but the other half wouldn't have approved!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

but without doubt the old Great Yarmouth weekenders for the sheer madness of it all.

Great days indeed!!

SO true Joan, the start of some real mad years for me in many ways, and if only we could bottle those times, and knew just how precious they were going to be, many memories to getting barred off the radio for the show with Colin when we both swore our head off, tying Sean Gibbons nephew who danced while listening to his own music on a walkman, sabotaging the mike for Brian Rae and watching how he didn't blink or miss a beat as if nothing had happend, sheer profesionalism among a bunch of us rank amaturs, thinking Tef and Billy had shaved my head while sleeping, a 14 hour bus journey that we never wanted to end, Andy D being daft enough to play cards with the Raeburns where loser had to have a drink, they of course cheated he ended up comatose,

Oh the memories, f*ck maybe nostalgia really is where it is, off to grow my ponytail again!

Social source share

SO true Joan, the start of some real mad years for me in many ways, and if only we could bottle those times, and knew just how precious they were going to be, many memories to getting barred off the radio for the show with Colin when we both swore our head off, tying Sean Gibbons nephew who danced while listening to his own music on a walkman, sabotaging the mike for Brian Rae and watching how he didn't blink or miss a beat as if nothing had happend, sheer profesionalism among a bunch of us rank amaturs, thinking Tef and Billy had shaved my head while sleeping, a 14 hour bus journey that we never wanted to end, Andy D being daft enough to play cards with the Raeburns where loser had to have a drink, they of course cheated he ended up comatose,

Oh the memories, f*ck maybe nostalgia really is where it is, off to grow my ponytail again!

That radio room was complete and utter mayhem. Absolutely hilarious! :yes:

Remember when Edwin made those Welsh cakes and somehow the windows of their caravan disappeared? :yes:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Prestatyn for the live acts but without doubt the old Great Yarmouth weekenders for the sheer madness of it all.

Great days indeed!!

The TAC weekenders were the best for me for so many reasons - but the main being they were relentless, one crack after another, everyone seemed to be on hyper form and no prisoners were to be taken.laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Cala Gran first time round (alex Lowes promotion),The reason is because weekenders were a new concept to me twenty odd years ago,Great times!!thumbsup.gif

Would agree 100% with you Panny - simply Up North Promotions for the shear DJ line up, the acts, the record bars the people and the whole newness of this unique experience.

How's life with you just down the A59 in that rare soul playground biggrin.gif.

Regards,

Nick.

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Would agree 100% with you Panny - simply Up North Promotions for the shear DJ line up, the acts, the record bars the people and the whole newness of this unique experience.

How's life with you just down the A59 in that rare soul playground biggrin.gif.

Regards,

Nick.

iam good Nick, hope your well. good times mate,good times!yes.gif:yes: regards panny

Social source share

[quote name='jumpinjoan' timestamp='1281774888' post='1393707'

That radio room was complete and utter mayhem. Absolutely hilarious! :yes:

Remember when Edwin made those Welsh cakes and somehow the windows of their caravan disappeared? :lol:

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Guest saddler

Rember turning up to see Four Tops at Yarmouth and not allowed into venue until all day trippers had been allowed in seem to remember seats across the dance floor best part was they had gone home when Betty Lavette came on in the early hours and blew the place apart happy days Paul

Social source share

Right time, right place, right age, just perfect, still have many good friends from that era, wouldn't swap it for anything

Social source share

First weekender was fleetwood with friends, which blew them away(music,atmosphere,away from kids)!

Blackpool tower Awsome surroundings ,great dancefloor and brilliant crowd. Out and about in Blackpool on Saturday(watching a Scotland game in the Jaggie Thistle with fellow jocks).

Saturday night in the tower dance compitition place just buzzin till the early hours.

Sunday up the soulsuite after the sunday session,i think anybody whos been there will say what a great way to finish the weekend.

Social source share

TAC weekenders were for me no 1, met Mrs B, and marriied her had a greattime both DJing and on the Radio with Rog B, loved the weekenders iin Torquay. Howhowever the first cleethorpes weekenders were the dogs bollocks, we were the first to start the fancy dress and going into the pool after Sunday night (remember Tony Mac. Stuart and Jill, the lads from Mac and others)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For me it's the TAC weekenders, 1990/1991. So many great live acts (altho' the four tops debacle still grates somewhat) but hey! Chuck getting all the audience singing 'Any day now', Lorraine Chandler pulling Keith up singing 'What can I do' on stage, Clarkie on the campus wireless, getting a mint Bobby Sheen on WB for not alot at all, hearing 'Just loving you' for the first time in that little 'Northern' room out the back, Banks and Bickers causing all sorts of chaos, Gene Chandler interviewed in that crappy little radio room, bloody great weekenders them.

TTFN

Jim

altho' Sunday nights at Cleggers take a bit of beating.

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Tac Weekend - listening to the radio after a heavy nighter - afternoon sesh. Heard the DJ say "I've just seen Ozzie in the supermarket... problem is its been closed for three hours ":lol: Spat my cuppa all over the place.

Social source share

Tac Weekend - listening to the radio after a heavy nighter - afternoon sesh. Heard the DJ say "I've just seen Ozzie in the supermarket... problem is its been closed for three hours ":hatsoff2: Spat my cuppa all over the place.

brilliant ! :laugh::laugh::laugh: pity there aint more people like Ozzie on the scene these days

Edited by BIG H
Social source share

TAC weekenders were for me no 1, met Mrs B, and marriied her had a greattime both DJing and on the Radio with Rog B, loved the weekenders iin Torquay. Howhowever the first cleethorpes weekenders were the dogs bollocks, we were the first to start the fancy dress and going into the pool after Sunday night (remember Tony Mac. Stuart and Jill, the lads from Mac and others)

I remember Tony Mac and Andy Rix pulling me out of the pool at the first Cleethorpes weekender, head pissing blood. Them early Clee weekenders were indeed the dogs - and although Bettye Lavette was stunning (I have an autographed copy of your fine old mag somewhere), I do have a pang of regret that I missed Maxine Brown (Iraq) at Cleethorpes, and likewise the Yarmouth weekenders, were I was on a tour in Berlin and could never get leave.

Early Soul Essence weekenders were a blast also - I think on number 3, it wasn't until Sunday before we realised we had an en-suite. Some of the Shirebrook lot taking money off our southern chums (racing pork pies in the lift); and an hefty Saturday afternoon session with Mrs Sausevic and friends.

Also early Caister brings the odd tear when reminiscing - remember a busload from Mansfield going. Billy Paul / McFadden and Whitehead were on - must be 30 years ago now - although can't remember much, just laid around in the sun, boozing and talking bollix. Likewise, revisited Caister for a laugh late 90s - D'Influence were stunning:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

COULD ALL THIS CHANGE WITH BLACKPOOL TOWER STARTING TODAY?? YOU MAY NEED A HARD HAT THOUGH AS WE HAD IT A BIT ROUGH UP HERE LAST NIGHT AND APPARENTLY PART OF THE ROOF HAS BLOWN OFF!! :huh: COUNCIL CUT BACKS THE THINGS THEY'LL DO BEFORE SWITCHING ON THE AIR -CON ! ! :lol: ATB JOHN

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

One of the longest was arriving in ibiza at 10 pm on a saturday night , out of the hotel door by half eleven to def mix at pascha, then space 22 hr marathon on sunday/monday, followed by manumission on monday night then back to space on tuesday morning then heading to bora bora beach bar got cajoled into giving two italian crusties a lift to a party in the hills near km 5 . free food drinks, and a bumped into charlie i got ntroduced to in manumission the night before. got home at ten on tuesday night. we only stayed for a week thank christ.

The magnetics last year wi dusty stood wi us going, ive waited fucking yeeeears to see these, hairs on me neck are stood up and !

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Thoroughly enjoyed Bognor and my 2 Caisters. Berwick was a warmup for Fleetwood. The second was probably the pick as the final one was too busy and an indication of how lucky Alex has been that the place didn't burn down or someone crushed to death, however Sam Dees was beyond words. Morecambe seems to have been forgotten even though it was the only one with a decent size Soul Room. I did about 3 at Southport which I loved; more than any of the previous 3 venues the Soul Room at Southport really belonged to me. I'm told it's never been the same since.

Prestatyn was great around the time of Acid House, almost solely for Chris Hills extraordinary Soul Set, not particularly what he's known for, when he erected a banner saying Acid Free Zone to the rapturous cheers of the crowd.

I know people who go to Cleethorpes, Skegness and the latter day Prestatyn but all agree the early Upnorth Weekenders were the pinnacle.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

WHAT'S THE BEST WEEKENDER YOU HAVE EVER BEEN TO? I GUESS THE TOGETHERNESS WEEKENDER AT FLEETWOOD WITH FRANK WILSON HAS TO RATE AS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES I HAVE NEVER HEARD SO MUCH NOISE AS THAT NIGHT WHEN EVERYONE JOINED IN UNBELIEVABLE! ALSO PRESTATYN WITH BENNY TROY(WHAT A VOICE) AND THE VOLUMES AKA THE MAGNETICS SOMETHING ELSE! :yes: :yes: :thumbsup:

definatly prestatyn for me too..

WHAT'S THE BEST WEEKENDER YOU HAVE EVER BEEN TO? I GUESS THE TOGETHERNESS WEEKENDER AT FLEETWOOD WITH FRANK WILSON HAS TO RATE AS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES I HAVE NEVER HEARD SO MUCH NOISE AS THAT NIGHT WHEN EVERYONE JOINED IN UNBELIEVABLE! ALSO PRESTATYN WITH BENNY TROY(WHAT A VOICE) AND THE VOLUMES AKA THE MAGNETICS SOMETHING ELSE! :yes: :yes: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

Soul togetherness 2000. The first and the best when the modern room was new and uncrowded.Super music/ super dancing.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

The TAC weekenders were great. It was all new back then and bloody cold!! went to three of them in all and had a great time. Cleethorpes for a bout 6 years as a total buzz especially my first one with the Velvellettes live. Awesome. Only been to one full Prestatyn weekend and loved it.

Social source share

Cleethorpes 2011 because it was the first and only one I've been too............ :D

Social source share

Where do you draw the line? The TAC weekenders at Yarmouth were one of the first to bring the big named acts (as far as Northern is concerned) to these shores.Southport have been instrumental in changing the face of the music content, as have the Caister weekenders to be fair. I've had many a laugh at the Fleetwood weekenders which, if I'm honest, were my favourite. Breaking into Ruby Andrews' hotel room in the North Euston because her door wouldn't open, backed up by Marv Smith who, as a postman knew everything there was to know about doors. We got her out finally. Getting Willie Hutch to get into bed with his "Sexalicious" t-shirt on to promote his album while I took a photo, I'm sure he thought I was, shall we say, batting for the wrong team. Meals out with Bunny Sigler, backstage fights with Gene Chandler ... all part of the Fleetwood experience. Then along came Prestatyn. Much of the same. There is no "better" weekender... it's about what each individual makes of it. They all have happy memories for me... long may they continue.

Best

Steve Handbury

Edited by soulman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i was 19 when i went to the first tac weekender in yarmouth,i was amazed to see the acts that i had listened to since i was 14,fantastic time for me,and then even better the year after to see ray pollard,he was amazed to see a young lad in england wanting a copy of "its a sad thing" signing,he said he didnt have that record! i also got 2 mint shrine records that weekend for £70... mega!

Social source share

Aw yes Mark them were the days, was it the same weekend that we started the fancy dress, (just by all going out in black sweatshirts, jeans and white basball caps........WHY)??? and Jacqui n Jill 'deciding' they wanted a dip on the way back to chalets, (loved the chalets), it was back in the day when "You cant go in the pool out of hours, you'll get done". Did'nt stop those 2 and now its 'tradition'. ahhhh happy days :)

Sandy

Social source share

I remember Tony Mac and Andy Rix pulling me out of the pool at the first Cleethorpes weekender, head pissing blood. Them early Clee weekenders were indeed the dogs - and although Bettye Lavette was stunning (I have an autographed copy of your fine old mag somewhere), I do have a pang of regret that I missed Maxine Brown (Iraq) at Cleethorpes, and likewise the Yarmouth weekenders, were I was on a tour in Berlin and could never get leave.

Early Soul Essence weekenders were a blast also - I think on number 3, it wasn't until Sunday before we realised we had an en-suite. Some of the Shirebrook lot taking money off our southern chums (racing pork pies in the lift); and an hefty Saturday afternoon session with Mrs Sausevic and friends.

Also early Caister brings the odd tear when reminiscing - remember a busload from Mansfield going. Billy Paul / McFadden and Whitehead were on - must be 30 years ago now - although can't remember much, just laid around in the sun, boozing and talking bollix. Likewise, revisited Caister for a laugh late 90s - D'Influence were stunning:thumbsup:

Hiya Richard i've just worked out who you are now after reading this, you were very drunk that particular night in the pool, hope you did'nt get any blood on Tony Mac's "Hawaiian" shirt. :lol:

Sandy

Edited by nightfiler
Social source share

Jock.... The bus trip down was always a great adventure to young soulies like me.

Indeed Andy, a crazy start to crazy weekends in Yarmouth...

Seeing Ray Pollard walk out on stage saying "Hey, you guys blow me away, I can't wait to tell my wife about this." He looked genuinely gobsmacked, probably wasn't expecting a huge roomfull of youths going mental to be his reception..what an atmosphere and felt like something epic was happening just seeing him, voice was incredible, sounded just the same as the records when singing live.

Scotland V England football match, I tried joining in the kickabout, realised I wasn't up to it, went back to the caravaan, took a pew and put the feet up. Next minute a bloke walks out of one of the bedrooms, don't know who got the bigger fright when we clocked each other, "Err, sorry mate" as I realised I was sitting in the living room of the wrong caravaan..made an exit.. ours was a few along!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!