Cream Cracker 5Th Anniversary

Guest Northern PhanTom

Guest Northern PhanTom

I will make no excuses but most peeps that know me will tell you that imo Ted Massey is the messiah of soul DJ's. Over the years as a member of Joe public I have had my favourites starting from school days it being Mick H to peeps like Chris Plant at Clifton Hall, Keb & Guy at Stafford, and Garry & Carl at the Bretby soul nights to Soul Sam in more recent years to name just a few. But for longevity and sheer all round class tunes Ted has got to be top of "The Pyramid" :(

Thus having said my peace about the messiah I find it fitting that he should be guesting at the fifth "Cream Cracker" Anniversary> Kev could not of chosen a better all round DJ imo to grace the decks for a 90 minute spot. :yes:

Not that the other DJ's on the night were overawed by the fact the messiah was on the same line up, far from it, apart from some guesser who was on last (I forget his name) they all gave the righteous one a run for his money. :yes:

Leading me back to the title of this thread "A Tale Of Two Magnetics" one played by the messiah, "Lady in Green" not that I had time to look (cus I was dancin) but imagine it was on Ra-Sel R7 104 out of Philadelphia the other played by local lad Nige "I Have a Girl" also didn't have time to look as Marco was telling me how much he was after this one, but imagine this was out of Detroit on Bonnie 107374

The above paragraph just shows what quality of tunes that were played at "The Cream Cracker" fifth anniversary and the packed house just loved it. Highlight for me was when the messiah (who obviously picked up on a conversation I had with someone else earlier in the night) without me even asking for it played "Jimmy Frazier" Hopes Dreams & Tombstones which went down a storm, imo best appreciated play of the night by far. :lol:

Kev I think you have now reached the crossroads, stick and play it safe or twist and find a bigger venue because your success has out grown the present one. Congratulations well done. :lol:

All the best for the next five years :)

Tom. wink.gif

Edited by Northern PhanTom
  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

it took me five years to get to the cream cracker, not because the area is unfamiliar to me (being Central Hall, Kettering born, weened and bred) but because ninety four miles is a long way to travel for a venue that closes at 11.30 p.m.

problem solved, it now closes at 2.00 a.m., excuses gone and greatfully so.

i wanted to get there early because a friend of mine for so many years was playing the opening set and i hadn't heard him behind the decks. 'Kyp-The-Faith' or 'Kyppers' as we knew him back in the mid-seventies filled the room with not only much appreciated sounds of sixties northern soul but also probably the biggest dose of enthusiasm i've seen excuding from a dee-jay.

this was the start of the evening and it didn't let up one bit all night.

the venue is far from pretentious or pretty, one could describe it as 'functional', not lavish, not posh but, in truth, a perfect place to dip ones self into the pool of memories floated by the sounds of our youth and the all important dance floor was spot-on.

all of the dee-jays produced the goods required by the floor-addicted attendees.

some of the dee-jays were unknown to me so i shan't (can't) name them all but thanks guys for a great night.

two worthy of an extra little 'knowing nod' were Nige and Mr. Massey.

now here's a thing about ted massey, it takes a proper dee-jay (and not just record collector) to leave the quality of tune-age he has in the box alone and play a more 'regular' set to the floor which is what he did, takes a lot of either self control or professionalism. (although i did manage to persuade him to slip 'lady in green' on at a risk of 'clearing' the masses, he did, it didn't, like all tunes played this night it was loved, cherished and appreciated by those gatthered).

the only slight 'down' for me (and this is a personal note) was a little too much, what i call, rock-and-roll RnB at one point. as i say, just a personal note as the floor once again lapped it up.... oh, yeah, i forgot, no modern or crossover!!!! but we didn't expect it as we knew it was a 60s night and although those two genre were missing it didn't detract from an excellent night in excellent company with excellent music.

a lot of old memories were woken at this fifth anniversary and with the meeting of many new (to me) faces a lot of new memories forged, what more can a man want on a night out?

we'll certainly return there, and address the 94 miles (and i know others had travelled further) even if we have to 'walk.... crawl... sleep out in the rain' (to quote Mr. Beavers.)

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Guest smudgesmith

Like Mr Cooper this was the first time Ive been crackered.Its a "proper" Northern venue.Nice to meet Tom (Northern Phantom)

PS Tom think you got Magnetics credits wrong way round:rolleyes:

Always good to meet Kev and Karen as enthusiastic as ever

I will come again its a great place just so sorry i had to leave early and miss my good mate Ted.

Spot on Kev and crew "Keep on doing what your doing"

Guest Northern PhanTom

Like Mr Cooper this was the first time Ive been crackered.Its a "proper" Northern venue.Nice to meet Tom (Northern Phantom)

PS Tom think you got Magnetics credits wrong way round:rolleyes:

Always good to meet Kev and Karen as enthusiastic as ever

I will come again its a great place just so sorry i had to leave early and miss my good mate Ted.

Spot on Kev and crew "Keep on doing what your doing"

Hi Smudge, enjoyed our brief chat and introduction, :wicked: well spotted, yes the credits are the wrong way round, ie labels, had an annorak without a hood moment whilst eating me cornflakes, :thumbup: won't change it, "it might be bad luck". :P

Regards

Tom :thumbup:

I will make no excuses but most peeps that know me will tell you that imo Ted Massey is the messiah of soul DJ's. Over the years as a member of Joe public I have had my favourites starting from school days it being Mick H to peeps like Chris Plant at Clifton Hall, Keb & Guy at Stafford, and Garry & Carl at the Bretby soul nights to Soul Sam in more recent years to name just a few. But for longevity and sheer all round class tunes Ted has got to be top of "The Pyramid" :ohmy:

Thus having said my peace about the messiah I find it fitting that he should be guesting at the fifth "Cream Cracker" Anniversary> Kev could not of chosen a better all round DJ imo to grace the decks for a 90 minute spot. :P

Not that the other DJ's on the night were overawed by the fact the messiah was on the same line up, far from it, apart from some guesser who was on last (I forget his name) they all gave the righteous one a run for his money. :wicked:

Leading me back to the title of this thread "A Tale Of Two Magnetics" one played by the messiah, "Lady in Green" not that I had time to look (cus I was dancin) but imagine it was on Ra-Sel R7 104 out of Philadelphia the other played by local lad Nige "I Have a Girl" also didn't have time to look as Marco was telling me how much he was after this one, but imagine this was out of Detroit on Bonnie 107374

The above paragraph just shows what quality of tunes that were played at "The Cream Cracker" fifth anniversary and the packed house just loved it. Highlight for me was when the messiah (who obviously picked up on a conversation I had with someone else earlier in the night) without me even asking for it played "Jimmy Frazier" Hopes Dreams & Tombstones which went down a storm, imo best appreciated play of the night by far. :thumbup:

Kev I think you have now reached the crossroads, stick and play it safe or twist and find a bigger venue because your success has out grown the present one. Congratulations well done. :thumbup:

All the best for the next five years :ohmy:

Tom. :lol:

Tom,

2 different groups.

Lady In Green - BONNIE - Detroit group who became The Volumes.

I Have A Girl - RA SEL - Philly group.

Hope you and Theresa are well.

John

Edited by johnmcc
Guest Northern PhanTom

Tom,

2 different groups.

Lady In Green - BONNIE - Detroit group who became The Volumes.

I Have A Girl - RA SEL - Chicago group.

Hope you and Theresa are well.

John

Cheers John, we both fine thanks hope you are too, yes I know two different groups hence the title tale of "TWO" magnetics but thanks for highligting the fact.

Cheers John, we both fine thanks hope you are too, yes I know two different groups hence the title tale of "TWO" magnetics but thanks for highligting the fact.

Hi Tom,

Got myself confused now!

Shoud have said - RA SEL - Philly.

There's a 3rd Magnetics - Chicago group - SABLE, J V

And a 4th group - Don't know where from!!

ATB John

Guest Northern PhanTom

Hi Tom,

Got myself confused now!

Shoud have said - RA SEL - Philly.

There's a 3rd Magnetics - Chicago group - SABLE, J V

And a 4th group - Don't know where from!!

ATB John

As ever John when it comes to records/stats, you're a mind full of information :thumbup:

Tom :P

Pete n I wuz gutted we couldn't make it last nite, made worse after the call from Mr Coops and two hours later Pete's "we should have rented a car", which was a great idea only at 10pm I didn't think there would be anywhere open. Glad it was a brill nite for you both and we WILL be at the next one. C u all soon at the Cracker.

Liz n Pete

Guest aaz19tdi

Quality night that was, got to agree with Tom, Ted is the man great tunes from the Massey, also not forgetting the other dj,s which kept me on the floor allnight.

As a regular at the cracker it was nice to see so many new faces hope you all will be back ,Kev and Karen put on a top night of Northern.

Last but not least, as a dancer its not often a dj finishes his set then comes to find you (me) and thanks you for dancing to his tunes Nice one Kyp.thumbsup.gif

all the best Lee& Kathryn.

Guest kev such

5 Years!!!!!!!!!!!! Blooming Nora, where does the time go?

Not really my place to comment on last Saturdays event. Being biased, I'd think it was great if it was just me in there.

With so many more worthy events on last weekend when I arrived at The Cream Cracker to open the doors, and get the equipment sorted out for the night ahead, I was apprehensive for the forthcoming evening along with the bloody rain on and off ALL day. Thankfully the rain stopped early evening and stayed off for the duration of the night, which was a bonus.

The guests for our 5th Anniversary were Kyp, Dave Stubbs ( 30 minute punter spot), Colin Brindle, Chris Thorley , Ted Massey and Nidge. A great line up I felt confident that would carry it off perfectly. And in my opinion they did, beautifully.

Numbers in on Saturday were 150+, which Im humbled with and just really want to thank all who travelled to the Cream Cracker to make it the evening it was. From Bob and Anne who I met in Farnborough and travelled up from Dorset and Glynn and Lorraine who travelled up from Gloucester. I hope that EVERYBODY enjoyed the tunes selected by the guests,and that we made your trips worthwhile and that you went home safely and "Cream Crackered".

Finally managed to get Smudge and Coops to attend one, as said once in 5 years will have to do. Hopefully they wont stay away that long this time.

Rumours are abound regarding the venue being pulled down. As of yet there are NO definate plans for this and The Charity Christmas Cream Cracker is booked in ( ALL monies taken will go to the charity) for the 27th November. Im praying that the venue isnt being demolished and that as long as we continue to have people willing to make the journey and guests agreeing to come along, open up their play boxes and astound us then hopefully we can do it for another 5 years. Fingers crossed.

I hope you enjoy the Anniversary Cd and will be back in November to raise oodles of money for a very worthy cause.

Once again I would just like to thank everyone for the last 5 years and heres to the next.

Regards

Kev ( dont do modern) Such and Karen

post-4369-046284900 1281972411_thumb.jpg

there isnt really much to add to all the reviews so far....i had an excellent night with great friends and listened to some really good tunes

all the djs did an excellent job but when it came down to it that man ted seems to ve able to step up a gear no matter who else is included in

the line up....its always nice to hear nidge play some tunes and imvho is so underated...chris thorley aka fred flintstone does what he always does

...gets pissed...announces the wrong artist but fills the floor...id never heard any of the others play out but liked all there sets

great to see so many ppl support kev and karen..they deserve it and spend so much time and effort in trying to get things right

so many friends were there and as always they help make this event the success it is

lee and kath..wendy and big al..kev and gloria...claire,gus and tracy plus the other two whose names escape me...tom and therese..bob and ann

chris and kerry..danny and mandy...sorry if ive missed anyone

the list goes on and special thanks to coops for allowing me to use some of his pics in my upcoming you tube...

my sd ran out of space

all the best for the next 5 yrs

moldie

After the 2 & half hour journey from Farnborough we arrived at the red lion hotel where Kev had kindly booked myself and Kerry in for the night, We were greeted by the lovely couple Bob and Anne. We got booked in with our travelling couple Danny & Mandy and had a few welcome drinks before getting ourselves ready for another Cream Cracker anniversary (the 5th) where Kev had kindly asked me to play a few tunes for an up for it crowd.

I have dj for Kev at the cracker a couple of times before but double decked with my old mate Moldie, So this time was going to be different as I had the whole hour to myself thumbup.gif

Was great to see many old mates there and also make a few new ones.

We got to the venue about 7.45 after meeting up with Moldie who also made the journey from Farnborough :thumbup: Thanks for your support and the lift to the venue. Top man.

After being greeted and receiving our free cd from Kev we ventured into the hall and placed ourselves just to the left of the dance floor. There was already people on the floor dancing to KYP set.

I have to say that all the dj played brilliant sets and kept the floor busy all night.

Well done all and thanks Nidge for playing The Inspirations for me.

Like most punters have said about Ted Massey spinning some top class tunes,they were not wrong, With the like of The Tomangoes, Del Larks just to mention a couple. This man has the goods and he knows how to use them. Awesome Dj.

Myself and Danny North are both promoters of Farnborough Soul Club (PLUG LOL) and we will be asking Ted and Nidge if they fancy spinning some of their quality tunes at one of our soul nights next year.

We all had a fantastic night and all went home CREAM CRACKERED!!!!! :ohmy:

Thanks Kev & Karen for another fantastic night and keep up the good work.

Plat list to follow

Edited by darkhorse01252

Like most punters have said about Ted Messey spinning some top class tunes,they were not wrong,

i think you will find its ted MASSEY but never mind

your old mucker

moldie

Play List 10:00-11:00

Isonics ,Sugar,

Harvey,Anyway you wanna,

The Sandpipers,Lonely to long,

The Ideals,Mighty Lover.

The Ojays.I Dig Your Act.

The Jelly Beans. You dont mean me no good.

Roy Hamilton. You shock me up.

Lonnie Lester. You Cant Go.

Albert Washington.Im the man.

Velvet Hammer. Happy.

Voice on east Harlem. Cashing in.

Buddy Miles. What does it take

Martha Reeves, Show me the way

Isley Brothers. Tell me its just a rumour baby

Isley Brothers, My love is your love .

Pat & the Blenders. Just because

Johnny Bartel. If this isnt love

Howard Guyton. I watched you slowly slip away

The Valentinos. Sweeter than the day before

Tony Middleton. To the end of the earth

Holly st James. Thats not love

Joanie Sommers. Dont pity me

Patti & the Emblems. Im gonna love you a long long time

Willie Kendrick. Change your ways

Think there was something for everyone. :thumbup:

Edited by darkhorse01252

Play List 10:00-11:00

Isonics ,Sugar,

Harvey,Anyway you wanna,

The Sandpipers,Lonely to long,

The Ideals,Mighty Lover.

The Ojays.I Dig Your Act.

The Jelly Beans. You don't mean me no good.

Roy Hamilton. You shock me up...............WAS HE AN ELECTRICIAN?...LOLOLOL

Lonnie Lester. You Cant Go.

Albert Washington.Im the man.

Velvet Hammer. Happt.

Voice on east Harlem. Cashing in.

Buddy Miles. What does it take

Martha Reeves, Show me the way

Isley Brothers. Tell me its just a rumour baby

Isley Brothers, My love is your love .

Pat & the Blenders. Just because

Johnny Bartel. If this isn't love

Howard Guyton. I watched you slowly slip away

The Valentinos. Sweeter than the day before

Tony Middleton. To the end of the earth

Holly st James. Thats not love

Joanie Sommers. Dont pity me

Patti & the Emblems. Im gonna love you a long long time

Willie Kendrick. Change your ways

Think there was something for everyone. :thumbup:

a most enjoyable hour chris and nice of you to play the jellybeans for danny

moldie

here is Kyp's playlist he e mailed me .... must show him how to post on here lol :thumbsup:

Thanks to Kev and Karen for inviting me to dj at the fifth Cream Cracker anniversary-and for the dancers and listeners,really enjoyed myself at CC.Met a few new soulies Anthony,Lee-who danced a lot through my set,also Glenn B from Northanks who i havent seen in years.Plus a great mate Coops-glad you could be there for my set.

These are the 45s i spun in my 60 minutes of madness and mayhem.

patti drew-stop and listen

billy butler-come over to my side

jj barnes-poor unfortunate me

young folk-lonely girl

nancy wilson-end of our love

dee dee sharp-there aint nothing i wouldnt do

ike and tina turner-dust my broom

little ann-who are you trying to fool

denise la salle-a love reputation

etta james-seven day fool

williams and watson-a quitter never wins

little richard-i need love

hesitations-im not built that way

spyder turner-i cant make it anymore

the webs-i want you back

the dealers-you got it

benny spellman-fortune teller

wilson pickett-let me be your boy

johnny maestro-heartburn

eddie holman-i surrender

the tymes-what would i do?

the gems-ill be there

the vibrations-cause your mine

the capitols-aint that terrible

the marketts-stirring up some soul.....

Kyp the faith-always a pleasure.......Kev,i went into the broom cupboard.WOW.

Guest Mr TEA

Well what can i say that has not already been said, what a great night

Well done to Kev & Karen on your 5th year always top hosts and may you have many more,

Loved all the sets (just love the music)

Was good to be out with my old mate Mick and meet up with some friends who we have not seen for a while, was good to see you all.

Thanks to Kevin Lynn and Leslie for the coffee in the morning and for being great company and everyone else that i met (hopeless at remembering names)

Had a brilliant time Thanks again Kev & Karen

Terry

Just want to say the first 2 posters are not related to me and no i didnt pay them:lol: My second time at the cracker and what a great little club this is the crowd were relly up for it and were still dancing at 1.40 am when i left, was glad i could play loads of requests as welll dont think i have had as many before. the music selection from all the dj's i heard were first class and kept the floor really busy, see some of you at Wellingborough on Saturday. Keep up the good work Kev :thumbsup:

Guest Northern PhanTom

Just want to say the first 2 posters are not related to me and no i didnt pay them:lol: My second time at the cracker and what a great little club this is the crowd were relly up for it and were still dancing at 1.40 am when i left, was glad i could play loads of requests as welll dont think i have had as many before. the music selection from all the dj's i heard were first class and kept the floor really busy, see some of you at Wellingborough on Saturday. Keep up the good work Kev :thumbsup:

Don't forget that season ticket for "The Holt End" you promissed me :thumbsup:

Guest Northern PhanTom

HERES A FEW PICS AND A BIT OF DANCEFLOOR ACTION FROM THE NIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQ8BOX9d2w

As usual Moldie top tube imagine you are getting a dab hand, :thumbsup: although notice you didnt set this one to a Modern/70's backing track were you under strict instructions from Mister Such? :lol:

Also he don't like anyone messing with the speed. :lol:

Tom :thumbsup:

Guest kev such

As usual Moldie top tube imagine you are getting a dab hand, :yes: although notice you didnt set this one to a Modern/70's backing track were you under strict instructions from Mister Such? :ohmy:

Also he don't like anyone messing with the speed. :yes:

Tom :D

Funny you should ask reference the backing track Tom. I was going to mention it to Moldie on the night but it seems he read my mind. Unfortunately we wont be able to make your next Lutterworth do as I've been invited to spin a few for Mr Wall at Centrals, Nottingham the same night.

Regards to Teresa mate.

After the 2 & half hour journey from Farnborough we arrived at the red lion hotel where Kev had kindly booked myself and Kerry in for the night, We were greeted by the lovely couple Bob and Anne. We got booked in with our travelling couple Danny & Mandy and had a few welcome drinks before getting ourselves ready for another Cream Cracker anniversary (the 5th) where Kev had kindly asked me to play a few tunes for an up for it crowd.

I have dj for Kev at the cracker a couple of times before but double decked with my old mate Moldie, So this time was going to be different as I had the whole hour to myself :yes:

Was great to see many old mates there and also make a few new ones.

We got to the venue about 7.45 after meeting up with Moldie who also made the journey from Farnborough :D Thanks for your support and the lift to the venue. Top man.

After being greeted and receiving our free cd from Kev we ventured into the hall and placed ourselves just to the left of the dance floor. There was already people on the floor dancing to KYP set.

I have to say that all the dj played brilliant sets and kept the floor busy all night.

Well done all and thanks Nidge for playing The Inspirations for me.

Like most punters have said about Ted Massey spinning some top class tunes,they were not wrong, With the like of The Tomangoes, Del Larks just to mention a couple. This man has the goods and he knows how to use them. Awesome Dj.

Myself and Danny North are both promoters of Farnborough Soul Club (PLUG LOL) and we will be asking Ted and Nidge if they fancy spinning some of their quality tunes at one of our soul nights next year.

We all had a fantastic night and all went home CREAM CRACKERED!!!!! :ohmy:

Thanks Kev & Karen for another fantastic night and keep up the good work.

Plat list to follow

it was nice to play it for you chris , enjoyed the night from the start t finnish and to end your set with willie kendrick -- change your ways rca , nice record wink.gif and ill look forward to spiining a few at farnborough next year best nige

it was nice to play it for you chris , enjoyed the night from the start t finnish and to end your set with willie kendrick -- change your ways rca , nice record wink.gif and ill look forward to spiining a few at farnborough next year best nige

Top man.

I have a date in mind but i was going to speak to Ted to see if he fancys guesting the same night with you :yes: send me a pm with you mobile number and i will give you a call soon.

Still on a high from weekend thumbsup.gif

Guest Glyn and Lorrie

Kev & Karen, just a quick post to say how much we enjoyed The Cream Cracker THE best one we have been to so far.

Top of the town ballroom in all its glory booming out the sounds we know and love. Good to Chat to some well known faces and to meet some new ones. Great line up, all the DJ's did a tremendous job even when the request started flooding in.

A.T.B. Hope to see you both soon

Glyn & Lorraine

Source Advert