Major Lance In Boston Lincs

Hi Paul,

Only just seen this. There was a book that came out about 3 years ago called "Take me to the dance" which basically listed all the acts that had appeared at the Gliderdrome. I have a copy in the loft so I'll drag it down and check because if the Major was going to appear anywhere in Boston, it would have to be the Glider

Steve

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Only just seen this. There was a book that came out about 3 years ago called "Take me to the dance" which basically listed all the acts that had appeared at the Gliderdrome. I have a copy in the loft so I'll drag it down and check because if the Major was going to appear anywhere in Boston, it would have to be the Glider

Steve

the book is called "goin to the dance " by David Peatling and Major Lance did not appear at the boston glierdrome according to the book at all...but some bloody good groups and artist did...screaming jay hawkins ...solomon burke ..otis redding..dusty...1966...edwin starr...ben e king...pp arnold...temps...j. & b. purify...stevie wonder...joe tex..1967...ike and tina show...the platters...john lee hooker...1968...inez and charlie fox ...desmond decker...1969...carla thomas...jrn walker.....jimmy ruffin...1970... really is a good book got it off a mate from boston who was a regular visitor to the gliderdrome in his youth....

Social source share

the book is called "goin to the dance " by David Peatling and Major Lance did not appear at the boston glierdrome according to the book at all...but some bloody good groups and artist did...screaming jay hawkins ...solomon burke ..otis redding..dusty...1966...edwin starr...ben e king...pp arnold...temps...j. & b. purify...stevie wonder...joe tex..1967...ike and tina show...the platters...john lee hooker...1968...inez and charlie fox ...desmond decker...1969...carla thomas...jrn walker.....jimmy ruffin...1970... really is a good book got it off a mate from boston who was a regular visitor to the gliderdrome in his youth....

This will be of interest .......

Most acts that played the BG did so in The Starlight Room .

Apologies I cannot confirm the year : it will be either be September 1966 or September 1967 :

If it is 1966 , the dates shown are Saturdays : If it is 1967 , the dates shown were Sundays . did the SR usually book big name acts on Sundays ? Hopefully someone will be able to confirm .

Malc

post-5097-029186400 1282456105_thumb.gif

post-5097-029186400 1282456105_thumb.gif

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Mick Donnelly

It was the Assembly rooms and it was packed and there was a massive punch up at the back of the hall Peterboro and Boston :hatsoff2:

Just needed to know a date for an article I'm doing...

Ta

who won ...LOL

Social source share

It was the Assembly rooms and it was packed and there was a massive punch up at the back of the hall Peterboro and Boston :hatsoff2:

Just needed to know a date for an article I'm doing...

Ta

Was it set off when ML started singing " You Don't Lunge At Me No More " ? :thumbsup:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Was it set off when ML started singing " You Don't Lunge At Me No More " ? :thumbsup:

Malc

No Malc, it kicked off when some fooker from Boston burbled to PD "Hey c-nt, bet your favourite track's Monkey Time" :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Mick Donnelly

No Malc, it kicked off when some fooker from Boston burbled to PD "Hey c-nt, bet your favourite track's Monkey Time" :hatsoff2:

to which he replied .." yes it is and I bet yours is Gypsy Woman" :thumbsup:

Social source share

who won ...LOL

dunno I was under a table...

It was all Mick Dunthorpes fault, this 6ft 6" Skinhead in a Sheepskin came up to me and very politely asked... "you got a fag mate? I said "no" but pointed him in the direction of a few of the Boro older blokes.

15 secs later Mick Dunthorpe had laid this bloke out with a carling black lable ashtray while Tormmy Riedy waded in with a small table when the poor bloke was on the floor, it sort of kicked off. :lol:

20 years later at a local CLOUD NINE CLUB REUNION Mr Dunthorpe appeared after living in Cardiiff since 1974, the conversation soon got round to the Boston Bundle..

"why did you wack him Mick?"

" he walked up to me as bold as brass and said " are you faggot mate" so I just had to hit the twat" :lol::D:lol:

Happy dayys

Social source share

Paul: I doubt very much that the word faggot would have been used in 1973. More like poufter. I remember the Reidy's. l was at school with Michael who probably went onto St. John Fisher's, which along with Eastholme, Stanground, was one of Peterborough's worst schools. Your brother Mick and I went to Orton Longueville of course, and it shows.

Social source share

Paul: I doubt very much that the word faggot would have been used in 1973. More like poufter. I remember the Reidy's. l was at school with Michael who probably went onto St. John Fisher's, which along with Eastholme, Stanground, was one of Peterborough's worst schools. Your brother Mick and I went to Orton Longueville of course, and it shows.

it does arggh.

Social source share

Guest bostonvic

i was also there cannot remember anything about a fight though

i am sure it was xmas eve cos there was much debate over whether to spoil our xmas dinner by eating something the nite before as it turned out i went without xmas dinner ( and a couple more as well )

been trying to remember what year it was and i reckon it was 1975

it does arggh.

Social source share

hi paul,just seen this post ,lived n boston all my life ,been into northern since jack west, bless him started playing soul music to us , about 71 ish,not called northern then , just soul music ,went to see magor lance at wigan, great night , but to this day i cannot remeber the major comming to boston , can remember soul sam comming to kirton town hall , hope you are keeping well , mr j.p. best john and vicky .

Social source share

Saturday July 8th 1978. Didn't he have his copy of Bernie slifted and it was found later in hedge, unfortunately snapped?

75 would seem right to me vic , i know i was a tad too young to go. cause santa was coming that night so it'd be early to bed for me lol. :thumbsup:

simon , you spot on about the bernie williams a certain promoter of the event nicked it then snapped it for some strange reason. cnut. bloody good night apart from that.

Social source share

Guest Mick Donnelly

Get ya stripey blazer out :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is the book still available?

I would like to get a copy for the wife who was a Boston lass and used to go to the Glider etc

Cheers

Steve

just been on amazon and there is a copy on there for £100 ...:thumbsup: bloody hell.... nothing on ebay.....the copy i have has even been signed by the author....do you want to make me a offer...its in excelent condition

Social source share

just been on amazon and there is a copy on there for £100 ...:thumbsup: bloody hell.... nothing on ebay.....the copy i have has even been signed by the author....do you want to make me a offer...its in excelent condition

I have been just trawling the t'internet regarding the Gliderdrome , and found this related listing .

Artists who appeared at The Boston Gliderdrome

A pre-war skating rink in Boston was developed into one of the East of England's best music venues. Following famous success with the dance bands of the forties and fifties, The Gliderdrome had its heyday in the sixties and early seventies, before suffering the ignominy of becoming a bingo hall.

Here are just a few of the acts who have appeared at The Gliderdrome.

A

Amen Corner

The Animals

B

Ivy Benson

Stanley Black

Joe Brown

Johnny Burnette

C

D

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch

Kiki Dee

Eric Delaney

E

Duane Eddy

Ray Ellington

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

The Equals

F

Chris Farlowe

The Federals

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders

Billy Fury

G

Gerry and the Pacemakers

Gary Glitter

Nat Gonella

H

Ted Heath

Heinz and the Wild Boys

Jimi Hendrix

I

J

Elton John

Tom Jones

K

L

Brenda Lee

John Leyton

Long John Baldry

Joe Loss

Lulu

M

N

O

Tony Orlando and Dawn

P

Robert Plant

PJ Proby

Procul Harum

Q

R

Otis Redding

Smokey Robinson

S

Screaming Lord Sutch

Slade

Small Faces

Dusty Springfield

Cyril Stapleton

Alvin Stardust ( as Shane Fenton and the Fentones )

Status Quo

Victor Sylvester

T

The Temptations

T-Rex

Ike and Tina Turner

U

V

W

The Walker Brothers

Marty Wilde

Stevie Wonder

X, Y, Z

Sadly , no mention of Major Lance .

Malc

Social source share

I have been just trawling the t'internet regarding the Gliderdrome , and found this related listing .

Artists who appeared at The Boston Gliderdrome

A pre-war skating rink in Boston was developed into one of the East of England's best music venues. Following famous success with the dance bands of the forties and fifties, The Gliderdrome had its heyday in the sixties and early seventies, before suffering the ignominy of becoming a bingo hall.

Here are just a few of the acts who have appeared at The Gliderdrome.

A

Amen Corner

The Animals

B

Ivy Benson

Stanley Black

Joe Brown

Johnny Burnette

C

D

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch

Kiki Dee

Eric Delaney

E

Duane Eddy

Ray Ellington

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

The Equals

F

Chris Farlowe

The Federals

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders

Billy Fury

G

Gerry and the Pacemakers

Gary Glitter

Nat Gonella

H

Ted Heath

Heinz and the Wild Boys

Jimi Hendrix

I

J

Elton John

Tom Jones

K

L

Brenda Lee

John Leyton

Long John Baldry

Joe Loss

Lulu

M

N

O

Tony Orlando and Dawn

P

Robert Plant

PJ Proby

Procul Harum

Q

R

Otis Redding

Smokey Robinson

S

Screaming Lord Sutch

Slade

Small Faces

Dusty Springfield

Cyril Stapleton

Alvin Stardust ( as Shane Fenton and the Fentones )

Status Quo

Victor Sylvester

T

The Temptations

T-Rex

Ike and Tina Turner

U

V

W

The Walker Brothers

Marty Wilde

Stevie Wonder

X, Y, Z

Sadly , no mention of Major Lance .

Malc

what a load of ole tosh I saw YES AND CHICKORY TIP at the Glider

Social source share

what a load of ole tosh I saw YES AND CHICKORY TIP at the Glider

I can picture it now ........

Yes panning a song out for 37 years , and Chicory Tit playing " Son With No Father " eight or nine times in a twelve song

set :thumbsup:

I have read on t'internet , that the Gliderdrome was a rough venue in its' hey day , and the punters who went during those times , used to have seat slashing contests .

According to reports , Lulu played the Gliderdrome the night after she played The Torch , and had difficulty walking onto the stage .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I can picture it now ........

Yes panning a song out for 37 years , and Chicory Tit playing " Son With No Father " eight or nine times in a twelve song

set :hatsoff2:

I have read on t'internet , that the Gliderdrome was a rough venue in its' hey day , and the punters who went during those times , used to have seat slashing contests .

According to reports , Lulu played the Gliderdrome the night after she played The Torch , and had difficulty walking onto the stage .

Malc

if did get a bad reputation towards the closure of the venue. that was there excuse for shutting it. too much fighting.

i was just too young to go, well thats what my old man said when i asked if i could go and see t.rex. lol.

from what i here from the locals ' otis redding ' was fantastic and stevie wonder.

Social source share

paul

ive spoken with dave appleyard and even thou his brain is more shot at than mine he reckons ' 74'

sounds right.

The timeline of late 73 / early 74 would appear to be correct .

During those years , ML was managed by Chris Burton . Chris booked him into numerous venues the length and breadth of the UK during his management for him , and I would think it is highly likely that The Gliderdrome was one of them .

In later years , Chris was still managing him , but he was getting pissed off with ML's attitude and commitment to him . ML's behavour became more and more erratic , resulting in him going AWOL for long periods of time . Chris would book him for tour dates in the UK , scheduling him to fly over from the US , but ML would never show up to catch the plane .

Time and time again this happened , and in the end , Chris dropped him .

Malc

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The timeline of late 73 / early 74 would appear to be correct .

During those years , ML was managed by Chris Burton . Chris booked him into numerous venues the length and breadth of the UK during his management for him , and I would think it is highly likely that The Gliderdrome was one of them .

In later years , Chris was still managing him , but he was getting pissed off with ML's attitude and commitment to him . ML's behavour became more and more erratic , resulting in him going AWOL for long periods of time . Chris would book him for tour dates in the UK , scheduling him to fly over from the US , but ML would never show up to catch the plane .

Time and time again this happened , and in the end , Chris dropped him .

Malc

Malc, didn't Ken Cox book ML for shows around the East Midlands. I remember seeing ML at Bourne Corn Exchange in '74 although rumour has it that it weren't the real ML but a doppelganger. Looked real enough to me but I was only around 17 at the time with eyes like piss holes in the snow so what the f--k did I know.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest bostonvic

it was definately the assembly rooms not the glider and havig read other posts i now think it was december 24th 1973 ( but i could be wrong )

Social source share

Malc, didn't Ken Cox book ML for shows around the East Midlands. I remember seeing ML at Bourne Corn Exchange in '74 although rumour has it that it weren't the real ML but a doppelganger. Looked real enough to me but I was only around 17 at the time with eyes like piss holes in the snow so what the f--k did I know.

You will be correct Dave .

What I shoud have stated , was that Chris will have booked ML into numerous venues via their promoters , and that will

have been applicable to ones / any in the east midlands .

Interesting about the ML doppleganger rumour . As we all know , it was common practice in the mid / late 60s , for UK promotors / agents to pass off virtually unknown US vocal groups , as the big name acts of the time ( one example being that I once saw what I thought / took to be The Drifters , and finding out later that they were actually The Invitations ) , but it never occured to me that this could also be applicable to solo artists .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

You will be correct Dave .

What I shoud have stated , was that Chris will have booked ML into numerous venues via their promoters , and that will

have been applicable to ones / any in the east midlands .

Interesting about the ML doppleganger rumour . As we all know , it was common practice in the mid / late 60s , for UK promotors / agents to pass off virtually unknown US vocal groups , as the big name acts of the time ( one example being that I once saw what I thought / took to be The Drifters , and finding out later that they were actually The Invitations ) , but it never occured to me that this could also be applicable to solo artists .

Malc

Ha, if it were The Drifters advertising themselves as The Invitations they'd have doubled the door take :yes:

It went on a lot, not just here but in the US as well. Sam & Dave at the height of their popularity would play in two places at the same time. Sam with an imposter on the west coast and Dave with another imposter on the east coast, or so I'm led to believe.

It's a subject worth looking into this imposterism thing. When I get time :lol:

Social source share

Didn't long John Baldry do an all nighter there c 68 bank holiday -i.e.mod and rocker era?

I have have a recollection of being there at an all nighter then and subsequently being told that Rod Stewart and Elton John where in the backing band, but I was 14 and it was an allnighter near Skegness, so could be wrong! After all in those days a bank holiday weekend in Skeg was something!

Ha, if it were The Drifters advertising themselves as The Invitations they'd have doubled the door take :)

It went on a lot, not just here but in the US as well. Sam & Dave at the height of their popularity would play in two places at the same time. Sam with an imposter on the west coast and Dave with another imposter on the east coast, or so I'm led to believe.

It's a subject worth looking into this imposterism thing. When I get time :yes:

Social source share

I thought I had hit upon the answer to Paul's original question of " Major Lance In Boston Lincs ? " , by going through the tour dates section of old copies of " blues & Soul " from 1973 / 1974 .

Not one ferking mention of a tour ....... typical :ohmy:

Malc

Social source share

Ive discussed the evening with Steve Allen the owner of Easy Street Promotions who confirms he did put ML on at the Assembley rooms, Skip Stuart and Graham Simons.

He can't rememberthe exact date but did confirm it was in the 70's :ohmy:laugh.gif

It has now reached the stage that I - never mind Paul - need to know the date when ML played The Assembly Rooms , that I have emailed the bookings department of Boston Council this morning , asking them if they check their archives for 1973 / 1974 laugh.gif

Malc

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

It has now reached the stage that I - never mind Paul - need to know the date when ML played The Assembly Rooms , that I have emailed the bookings department of Boston Council this morning , asking them if they check their archives for 1973 / 1974 :ohmy:

Malc

laugh.giflaugh.gif:lol:

Ease off Malc, take a bit of a break or you'll be trainspotting before you know it.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

:ohmy:laugh.giflaugh.gif

Ease off Malc, take a bit of a break or you'll be trainspotting before you know it.

I can picture the scene when my email is read ........

" There is a man asking about a booking we took 36 / 37 years ago : shall I file it under " sad bastard " ? "

Malc

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

"Miss Plum, we've received a very odd request this morning from some chappy in Doncaster, start on this and I'll look in the papyrus scrolls"

"What am I looking for Dame Penkridge?

"Anything to do with a Colonel Lance flying gliders over Boston"

archives2.jpg

Social source share

"Miss Plum, we've received a very odd request this morning from some chappy in Doncaster, start on this and I'll look in the papyrus scrolls"

archives2.jpg

That has to be the one post that has made me spontaneously laugh right out loud the most ever on this site. Pure quality sir. The wife nearly jumped out of her skin when I burst out laughing.

Social source share

archives2.jpg

:D:thumbsup: :thumbsup: laugh.giflaugh.gif:lol: :lol: :lol::)laugh.gif

Thank you so much Dave : when I read the line , I laughed out loud - in fact I am still chucklnig at it - and the tears rolled down my face .

Wonderful : 10 / 10

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I have received an email from a chap who works at Boston Council .

He is now endeavouring to find out if / when ML played The Assembly Rooms through his contacts within BC , and externally .

One way or another , we will get there :thumbsup: ........

Malc

Social source share

I have received an email from a chap who works at Boston Council .

He is now endeavouring to find out if / when ML played The Assembly Rooms through his contacts within BC , and externally .

One way or another , we will get there :hatsoff2: ........

Malc

Cyril the Council Worker from Sutterton Lincs vows to not stop until he finds the date that Major Lance performed at The Assembly Rooms

wheelie_bin2.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!