Your All Time Favourite Rca Release ?

Mrtag

Judy Freeman Hold On - Timeless, powerhouse (Northern) SOUL

Charles Drain I'm Gonna Stay - Quality 70T's

Willie Hutch When A Boy Falls In Love - Great Crossover!

Blood Hollins How Have You Been - Sounding great all over again

Yarborough and Peoples Special - Penitentiary 3 Soundtrack (has anyone got a 12" of this?)

Social source share

As has been said, very difficult question this not least because of the amount and quality of Soul that the company put out. Shame that the company did'nt seem to give Soul the kudos it deserved sticking as it did with the big hitters like Elvis.

Anyhow, off the soap-box,

First time I heard Keb spin It Hurts Too Much To Cry by HB Barnum I couldn't believe that a 'dancer' as good as that hadn't been discovered until then (or at least if it had that it hadn't taken off). Effin tremendous.

I know the question is about released material but some of the stuff that Ady discovered not least the alternative take of What's That On Your Finger by Kenny Carter is fantastic too.

Mick

Social source share

I'm feeling brave so I'll admit that when I was at school I liked "Devils Drive" by Big Boris.

Not soul, not American, not very trendy, but who cares?

It had a great bass line.

Big Boris was a pseudonym for arranger Johnny Arthey.

Paul

Social source share

Dean Courtney -I'll always need you

The lyrics are superb.

I guess I have to agree on this one and what an all round nice guy having been introduced to him by Kev At his 50th bash at Radcliffe True Gent And what a voice!! Atb John.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Have to agree with many of the posts, I still spin my Jumpin at the Go-Go LP.

Hold On by Judy Freeman is probably my favorite of all RCA releases followed pretty close by It Be's That Way Sometimes by Nina Simone.

Social source share

Have to agree with many of the posts, I still spin my Jumpin at the Go-Go LP.

Hold On by Judy Freeman is probably my favorite of all RCA releases followed pretty close by It Be's That Way Sometimes by Nina Simone.

Judy Freeman & Black Rock for the full title.

If any seasoned Soul fans from Norwich are reading this then they may know a guy called Paul Moore (Moorso) and they may remember that we used to sing Paul Moore to the refrain of Hold On (go on, put it on and sing it and you'll see....).

Mick

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

crackin up - roy hamilton fave all time tune , just a pity there isnt a version by elvis too in the rca archives, or is there ?

Social source share

For me..

The Exciters - Blowing up my mind

Cause it's f**kin awsome - just never tire of this stormer! :)

ATB

Greg..

Hi Greg, These top tunes just keep coming from this label !! got a feeling this could be a long topic!! Atb John. :lol::huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

BEST R.C.A. TRACK FOR ME....WILLIE KENDRICK....GIVE ME LOTS OF LOVIN'....I WAS PLAYING IT AT ONE OF ALAN POLLARDS DO'S ..R.I.P. AND HE CAME UPTO THE DECKS."WHATS THIS IT'S AWESOME". NEVER FORGET THAT.

Social source share

Tough call as so many cracking tunes. Gonna go with Metros Lp, but could have quiet easily gone for Lorraine Chandler (both 45s) or Exciters Lp. Reason memories of been blown away as a youngster when first heard them as amazing productions and helping me start on my vinyl addiction.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

James Walsh Gypsy Band, Cuz It's You Girl , dunno why just loved it to bits after hearing it for the 1st time & still love it now :thumbup:

Social source share

Michael & Raymond - Man without a woman, is tied with The Friends of Distinction - Grazing in the Grass

both of those tracks are always close at hand so I can give a quick spin.

Social source share

Devils Drive - Big Boris

This is a really forgotten oldie

p.s. my real fav was listed by someone else, but thought this needed a mention, it is one of of my favs, so lambast me for slight cheat!rolleyes.gif

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Don't be afraid - Sharon Scott first played by Adi @ the 100 club.

The first time I heard it is was an iconic WTF is this moment, dashed up to the decks to have a gander.

ME -- "WHAT THIS???"

ADI - "Don't be afraid - Sharon Scott unreleased RCA, you like?

ME- Like it? it's better than my wifes fanny"

Social source share

Guest soulsisterjane

WHAT IS YOUR ALL TIME FAVOURITE RECORD ON THE RCA LABEL ? AND ANY SPECIAL REASON THE MEMORIES Eg AN EX?? ETC ETC

James Walsh Gypsy Band, Cuz It's You Girl. I

My all time favourite record on RCA is ....... James Walsh Gypsy Band, Cause it's you girl! I first heard this at the Nottingham Oddfellows when Adam Buchanan did his spot! I fell in love with it then and I am still in love with it now!!! Just thought i'd put this on for the Modern Lovers on this site!!

Keep the faith

Soul Sister Jane x

Social source share

For me..

The Exciters - Blowing up my mind

Cause it's f**kin awsome - just never tire of this stormer! :thumbsup:

ATB

Greg..

RCA was always one of my fav labels, lots of great records to pick from.

I'm also going with The Excitiers "Blowing Up My Mind"

The very 1st record that I got on the label 37 years ago.

As Greg says "cause it's f**kin awsome - just never tire of this stormer":thumbup:

Dave.

Social source share

Three more pieces of soulful magic from RCA...................

Dynamics - You Make Me Feel Good ....never fails to hit the spot

Metros - The Replacer......just loved this track from the first time it was picked up on spec and spun on the ole Dansette

Pagents - Are You Ever Coming Home......Couldn't believe getting this on a request list at a 'do' recently, great record and definitely one of my fav RCA's

Social source share

Three more pieces of soulful magic from RCA...................

Dynamics - You Make Me Feel Good ....never fails to hit the spot

Metros - The Replacer......just loved this track from the first time it was picked up on spec and spun on the ole Dansette

Pagents - Are You Ever Coming Home......Couldn't believe getting this on a request list at a 'do' recently, great record and definitely one of my fav RCA's

Sorry to be boring / predictable , but my favourite RCA release has to be " Cracking Up " .

Apart from the record itself , that quality of that shiny black label design does it for me everytime .

Malc

Social source share

Would have to go with Lorraine Chandler "What Can I Do" - The vocals of Ms Chandler & that wonderful Mike Terry sax gurgling away in the background is perfection to me.

Honourable mention to the "unreleased" sides by Sharon Scott that Kent put out on their RCA CDs - Superb. Think both Mecca & Wigan would have loved to have had them back in '74

Social source share

All right some more of my RCA faves:

Having Fun - The Bobettes

You Shook Me Up - Roy Hamilton

She's Got A Heart - Roy Hamilton

Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid - Ketty Lester

You Make Me Feel Good - The Dynamics

Webby,

you're comment about Crackin' Up early has a ring of truth although it should read Elvis was a Roy Hamilton sound-alike - he was one of Elvis' favourite singers.....

Mick

Social source share

the list is endless

APRIL MAY AND JUNE HE WENT AWAY april may and june - he went away -

THE BARONS SINCE YOURE GONE barons - since youre gone -

BETTY BARNES WALKING DOWN BROADWAY betty barnes - walking down broadway -

SUSAN BARRETTT A GRAIN OF SAND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0SqsZhYWs SORRY COULD NOT FIND THIS ON REFOSOUL

BROOK BENTON WHERE DOES A MAN CRY brook benton - where does a man go to cry -

AND THAT IS JUST SCRATCHING THE SURFACE ALPHABETICALLY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!