You Didn't Say A Word

• Replies 55
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Phoenix8049

l don't think it's that good.......What is your opinion??

How very dare you Webby.

It's one of my all time favorites.

It's got everything.

Stu.

Social source share

l don't think it's that good.......What is your opinion??

For me , there are not enough words to express how good that record is .

A top ten favourite record for many people , and deservedly so .

IMHO , If there is such a thing as the " perfect " NS record , " YDSAW " is it .

If the record is not for you Philip , so be it .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Phillip, the day you use the title as your daily mantra the world will be a more peaceful place.

For now, just replace the word Say with Type and you'll make so very many of us on SS happy :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

wonderful atmospheric different classy .. just a few words to describe this tune...it does indeed have everything for the listener and the dancer alike....pretty rare too.

Social source share

wonderful atmospheric different classy .. just a few words to describe this tune...it does indeed have everything for the listener and the dancer alike....pretty rare too.

Agreed Jim. The only thing that could have bettered this would be the possibility of Steve Perryman doing a version.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Agreed Jim. The only thing that could have bettered this would be the possibility of Steve Perryman doing a version.

no....it was bad enough listening to him singing spurs are on their way to wembley!! were his dulcit tones on nice one cyril too???.:lol::lol:

Social source share

you may not like the record webby, but how can you compare the fabulous yvonne baker with shirley feckin' bassey? I happen to think YB is one of the most underrated vocalists ever. YDSAW for me is an era defining record and no other version for me comes close. I feel the same way about the Yum-Yums. I'm glad I was there, that's all...

Social source share

Did it get played at The Torch,mate....

No , it surfaced after HS had to close its' doors .

" YDSAW " was given its' first outing at WC by Dustbin Stanley , after it being given to him by Simon Saucepan .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

you may not like the record webby, but how can you compare the fabulous yvonne baker with shirley feckin' bassey? I happen to think YB is one of the most underrated vocalists ever.

...There are some who would say the same about our Shirl...:thumbsup:

Social source share

No , it surfaced after HS had to close its' doors .

" YDSAW " was given its' first outing at WC by Dustbin Stanley , after it being given to him by Simon Saucepan .

Malc

Excellent northern. It's a top 500 tune that I don't get overly tired of. Probably because of that sinister sounding backing track....

Social source share

i think with these 'overpayed' classics you have to remember the first time you heard it...just cos you may be bored with a tune it doesnt mean its crap....if ya didnt like it then...fair enuff thats your opinion...its a good job we didnt all like the same stuff...

i love it but dont get that excited when i hear it out anymore,saying that if anyones got an original they wanna sell me for a couple of quid i'll take it off ya hands:D

dean

Social source share

The first time I heard Yvonne Baker's version was about 3 years or so after I had first heard and fallen in love with the Patti Austin version on COLUMBIA.

I was at a club and distinctly remember shaking my head thinking "WTF!?" when the Yvonne Baker version came on. It sounded like a novelty tune to my ears. I've since then given it many chances and have even danced to it once or twice but it still leaves me stone cold.

I realise that I'm in a huge minority, but I think that the Patti Austin version from 1972 is superb and far preferable. :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

The first time I heard Yvonne Baker's version was about 3 years or so after I had first heard and fallen in love with the Patti Austin version on COLUMBIA.

I was at a club and distinctly remember shaking my head thinking "WTF!?" when the Yvonne Baker version came on. It sounded like a novelty tune to my ears. I've since then given it many chances and have even danced to it once or twice but it still leaves me stone cold.

I realise that I'm in a huge minority, but I think that the Patti Austin version from 1972 is superb and far preferable. :tumbleweed3:

I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED BOTH VERSIONS!!!!!

Social source share

:tumbleweed3::lol: Well l presume that YB was released in the 60's and PA in the 70's then??

YB - " YDSAW " was released in 1967 ( Parkway # 140 ) .

PA - " Didn't Say A Word " was releaesed in 1972 ( Columbia # 45785 )

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Of course it is an excellent soul record, it goes without saying, is this thread really about if the poster thinks it leaves him cold or is it just a statement borne out of a desire to get a reaction, because i for one am getting tired of this forum, and i know for a fact very close friends have left this very forum purely because of such inane posts............

Yawn.......

Ps.it should be in the 'LOOK AT YOUR BOX' section.............too

SUBSTANCE OVER FORM.............please...

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Of course it is an excellent soul record, it goes without saying, is this thread really about if the poster thinks it leaves him cold or is it just a statement borne out of a desire to get a reaction, because i for one am getting tired of this forum, and i know for a fact very close friends have left this very forum purely because of such inane posts............

Yawn.......

It should be in Chat in Freebasing!!

Social source share

Yawn.......

Brilliant record atmospheric and ticks all the right boxes .

Simple solution to inane posts dont read them . :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Brilliant record atmospheric and ticks all the right boxes .

Simple solution to inane posts dont read them . :thumbsup:

Yes you're right................i'll close the door behind me.

Social source share

Make your mind up,lads...Aren't we talking about a Soul Record(s) here....Thought that All About The Soul would be the best place to post it....Chat in Freebasing?? Thought that was the forum to go for non-soul related discussion...

Wouldn't be so bad Webby if you'd asked some soul related question about the record, not that you simply didn't like it. The question has simply led to too many off topic posts.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Make your mind up,lads...Aren't we talking about a Soul Record(s) here....Thought that All About The Soul would be the best place to post it....Chat in Freebasing?? Thought that was the forum to go for non-soul related discussion...

YES ......IN ALL ABOUT THE SOUL..DEFFO

Social source share

Such as what question?? l'm just asking peoples opinions on a Soul record....that l am not madly in love with that other people are...and llwould like them to tell me why they like it....and that's about it... :thumbsup:

why dont you just give it a rest

your posts wind up people

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

who asked you ?

NOBODY ASKED ME, I DIDN'T THINK IHAD TO BE ASKED!!! ITHOUGHT THIS WAS A FORUM, DO I HAVE TO BE A MODERATOR TO GIVE AN OPINION ON A SUBJECT ?....ALSO MIKE YOUR REPLY TO ME AND JULIE WAS QUITE RUDE, IF I WAS RUDE TO YOU I WOULD PROBABLY BE SUSPENDED.

Social source share

NOBODY ASKED ME, I DIDN'T THINK IHAD TO BE ASKED!!! ITHOUGHT THIS WAS A FORUM, DO I HAVE TO BE A MODERATOR TO GIVE AN OPINION ON A SUBJECT ?....ALSO MIKE YOUR REPLY TO ME AND JULIE WAS QUITE RUDE, IF I WAS RUDE TO YOU I WOULD PROBABLY BE SUSPENDED.

Leave it Jim its been sorted privately :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

apoligies to the two members for my tone and the wording of my replies, wasnt needed

I should have put my concern about long time members leaving across better

mike

mike, apoligy accepted , did't see your reply till i posted,.....no hard feelings jim.

Social source share

Guest familytree

Its one of those tunes that transports me right back to wigan...i used to feel all edgy n excited when i heard the opening bars..... its haunting for sure, quite trippy!.. i think its the arrangement im into mainly? x

Social source share